Breaking Point Discussion

Krayzikk

Does your character have a culture? Are they, in fact, from a place? Does that place have its own myths and legends?

Because that might be a good starting point, because Midgard is a place and if you're going to name something Hydra, it better hit hard and be nigh-on impossible to kill.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

name is only what you make of it

True enough. I do have one totally insane idea that came from thinking outside the box, though it may also be a good choice. Anyone can pull out a random name from Ancient Mythology. What I'm thinking is that in the distant future they may also have drawn from Modern Pop Culture.

Name: Maya Logan

Appearance: Given her military background, it's not surprising that she isn't particularly glamorous when it comes to fashion. Her usual preferred attire consists of a t-shirt on top of camouflage pants, and sometimes a jacket overtop. She has long dirty blonde hair which is usually tied back into a messy bun (she doesn't put much effort into looking good, only tying it back enough that it doesn't get in the way). She also doesn't spend a lot of time keeping clean, so her clothes are often covered in dirt, sweat, and grease.

Equipment: She often keeps a 44. magnum on hand for defensive purposes. Beyond that, she often has a pack of cigarettes and a lighter in her pocket. In the field, she also likes to equip at least one flashbang and/or grenade, depending on the nature of the mission (although how often she gets to use them is another matter). 

Skills: Having trained with the marines, Maya knows more than a few things about combat. She can handle variety of firearms and also knows hand-to-hand. When it comes to mechs, Maya knows enough that she can maneuver one and handle its weapons, though she still has a lot to learn.

Personality: As a rookie freshly transferred from the marine corps, Maya lacks the experience of many of the other mech users. She often displays a remarkable sense of enthusiasm and an eagerness to get into the action (which was why she switched to the mech program in the first place). Having spent her career so far in her own lines, she has become somewhat tense, and can be somewhat reckless as a result. This is not to say she's necessarily stupid. However, she does have a tendency to charge into situations without thinking clearly.

Bio: Maya is the latest in a long line of soldiers. Her grandmother was a marine and a war hero seventy years ago. Her father also served in the marines. Continuing the tradition, it was no surprise that Maya went on to enlist as a marine when she was old enough.

Unfortunately for her, the military had changed drastically and the life of a marine proved a difficult one. After eight weeks of boot camp in which she was constantly insulted by a ruthless drill instructor, Maya eventually graduated. However, after joining the marines, she was disappointed to find that there was almost no action. She spent several months sitting around various army bases with her fellow soldiers more or less waiting for an assignment to present itself. Of course, when you take a group of marines fresh out of training who are all eager to get their first kill and tell them to wait, it doesn't prove easy.

The result was Maya's tense personality, which came from the constant boredom of waiting for her first assignment. The marines had to find ways to keep themselves occupied, which sometimes resulted in their recklessness. During her time in the marines, Maya had more than a few instances of questionable actions performed alongside other soldiers while trying to deal with her boredom. 

However, her test scores were able to attract the attention of a few officers and Maya was approached with an offer to enlist in the mech division. Hoping that this would finally give her some action, she accepted. After a short period of training, Maya was assigned her first walker. She has yet to see any real action, though she is eager to get into the field at the first opportunity. 

Weakness: Because of her inexperience, Maya can be extremely reckless, especially with her tendency to get tense and not always think clearly during periods of inactivity. She's also a heavy smoker and sometimes has difficulty working as a team player due to overconfidence. She also still has a lot to learn regarding the roles of mechs in contemporary warfare.

Base Model: Warrior

Designation: Dirty Harry

Appearance: More or less standard in design at the moment, painted in a military green-and-brown camo.

Armaments: At present, Maya's walker hasn't been heavily customized and mostly relies on the standard settings (a combat rifle in one arm and a shield on the other) combined with the few upgrades she has managed to acquire. 

On the gunner arm, Maya has also installed a minigun and a grenade launcher. Her combat rifle has also been modified to include a retractable bayonet for close ranged attacks.

Additionally, the walker has been modified with armored plating to make it more durable in the field. 

Weakness: Because of the weight produced by the extra weapons and armor, it lacks the mobility of other models.

Pilot: Maya Logan

Edited by Atton Rand

How far in the future is this, anyway?

I mean, my 'mech's name contains an oblique reference to One Punch Man, because that's still less ridiculous than my pilot being a Faroese giant,

But the relative weirdness of that is different if it's 2076 (the ballpark I'd been assuming) versus if it's 3143 (which would make both of those details exceptionally weird).

Anyway, and I just noticed a few things regarding the bit about the melee weapon, the other weaponry, the... okay basically your 'mech's profile gave me ideas, and now I have suggestions. Take 'em or leave 'em as you wish.

-Holsters. Like, full-on gunslinger-style holsters for the rifle (specified in this hypothetical to be for precise fire, rather than the suppression-fire role of the autocannon), the grenade launcher, and the autocannon. Specify something like 80mm for the autocannon/minigun.

-Carrying all three of those in that form, the weight would slow it down somewhat, and the weakness you have listed would become somewhat inaccurate - it's not so much that it's limited to long-range, because the grenade launcher is a bit more of a short-range thing, and it's not exactly limited to small groups of enemies, because both the autocannon and the grenade launcher could be wielded against larger groups.

-Suggest further specifying that it carries a large stock of additional ammunition for all three weapons, and maybe fix a bayonet to the rifle if you're feeling fancy.

-Maybe structural reinforcement for the shield-bearing arm, which, in this model, is absolutely not the gun-shooting arm. Basically devote that arm 100% to shield-bearing until the shield is damaged beyond the point of usefulness, at which point you can discard the shield (which does have precedent) and launch grenades while laying down suppression fire with the autocannon.

And, if we're going with the pop culture angle, and if you like the gun-holster idea, if I may offer an additional suggestion?

Name it Clint.

Edited by Rache

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

It was never specified in the opening post, and I don't remember the exact year off the top of my head, but it's the 2080s.

Will address matters related to Walker and character when I wake up, it's ridiculously late.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Those are some interesting ideas, and they would make the walker slightly more interesting. That said, I did have one or two questions if that's okay.

Holsters. Like, full-on gunslinger-style holsters for the rifle (specified in this hypothetical to be for precise fire, rather than the suppression-fire role of the autocannon), the grenade launcher, and the autocannon. Specify something like 80mm for the autocannon/minigun.

This is a neat idea. Admittedly I was surprised because I assumed that the rifle was fixed to the walker, though making it detachable could still have been among the mods used on it. Now that you mention it, the rifle would add extra weight, so making it detachable would mean that the arm would have a much smaller load on it, allowing it to aim much faster if needed. That could work.

If you don't mind me asking, how big is the rifle in relation to the walker? 

Suggest further specifying that it carries a large stock of additional ammunition for all three weapons, and maybe fix a bayonet to the rifle if you're feeling fancy.

There are bayonets for walkers? Why didn't anyone tell me that sooner? A bayonet would be a very good idea in case an enemy walker got too close. Are there any particular models of bayonet in use currently?

Ammunition would also be a good idea. The only thing I feel I should note is that may introduce a new weakness (mainly that the extra ammo would weigh it down). That's probably no big deal, but that information would be useful for the profile.

Maybe structural reinforcement for the shield-bearing arm, which, in this model, is absolutely not the gun-shooting arm. Basically devote that arm 100% to shield-bearing until the shield is damaged beyond the point of usefulness, at which point you can discard the shield (which does have precedent) and launch grenades while laying down suppression fire with the autocannon

Okay, before I do anything here, I need to ask a question. When you say "shield" do you mean like an actual physical shield attached to one arm that can be used to block attack attacks, or a force field generated in the arm? 

Name it Clint.

That's suddenly given me a few new ideas for names...

One idea I had considered was some kind of mine-deployment device. I was thinking that there could be something at the base of the walker which could be used to deploy and arm land mines, though they probably would have to be some fairly large explosives if they're expected to do damage to other walkers. Would that be believable?

Edited by Atton Rand

I mean, my 'mech's name contains an oblique reference to One Punch Man, because that's still less ridiculous than my pilot being a Faroese giant,

But the relative weirdness of that is different if it's 2076 (the ballpark I'd been assuming) versus if it's 3143 (which would make both of those details exceptionally weird).

Anyway, and I just noticed a few things regarding the bit about the melee weapon, the other weaponry, the... okay basically your 'mech's profile gave me ideas, and now I have suggestions. Take 'em or leave 'em as you wish.

-Holsters. Like, full-on gunslinger-style holsters for the rifle (specified in this hypothetical to be for precise fire, rather than the suppression-fire role of the autocannon), the grenade launcher, and the autocannon. Specify something like 80mm for the autocannon/minigun.

-Carrying all three of those in that form, the weight would slow it down somewhat, and the weakness you have listed would become somewhat inaccurate - it's not so much that it's limited to long-range, because the grenade launcher is a bit more of a short-range thing, and it's not exactly limited to small groups of enemies, because both the autocannon and the grenade launcher could be wielded against larger groups.

-Suggest further specifying that it carries a large stock of additional ammunition for all three weapons, and maybe fix a bayonet to the rifle if you're feeling fancy.

-Maybe structural reinforcement for the shield-bearing arm, which, in this model, is absolutely not the gun-shooting arm. Basically devote that arm 100% to shield-bearing until the shield is damaged beyond the point of usefulness, at which point you can discard the shield (which does have precedent) and launch grenades while laying down suppression fire with the autocannon.

And, if we're going with the pop culture angle, and if you like the gun-holster idea, if I may offer an additional suggestion?

Name it Clint.

2086. We've been assuming the first colony launch used Sputnik's centennial as a date, and the game took place on that thirtieth anniversary.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

The rifles have generally been described in-game as something the mech holds in its hand, as have the shields. General descriptions tend to put the rifle at about the same scale relative to the 'mech as an actual assault rifle is to an average human. The shield is a physical shield, basically a large piece of armor that the 'mech holds and can discard if necessary.

There's no particular reason a bayonet couldn't be fixed to the rifle, seeing as we have 'mechs wielding swords, spears, and axes.

But yeah, the rifle not being part of the arm seems pretty standard for Warriors - that's part of why Einbora Týr is such an oddball.

As for the land mines... obviously not staff, but I could see several tactical and logistical issues with the use of walker-deployed mines. Off the top of my head....

-No other use of land mines has been mentioned, so that would be a novel addition to the supply chain.

-Not sure how the use of land mines is regarded under the current laws of war, I know they're not really looked upon kindly now.

-Anyone could just shoot a freshly-deployed mine.

-You'd have to get in amongst the enemy to have a greater chance of them triggering the mines than your own side triggering the mines. Doing this would expose you to a greater volume of enemy fire than recommended.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Okay, so it looks like I'm headed in the general direction of something that favors firepower over agility. Let's see what I can come up with...

Base Model: Warrior

Designation: Dirty Harry

Appearance: More or less standard in design at the moment, painted in a military green-and-brown camo.

Armaments: At present, Maya's walker hasn't been heavily customized and mostly relies on the standard settings (a combat rifle in one arm and a shield on the other) combined with the few upgrades she has managed to acquire. 

On the gunner arm, Maya has also installed a minigun and a grenade launcher. Her combat rifle has also been modified to include a retractable bayonet for close ranged attacks.

Additionally, the walker has been modified with armored plating to make it more durable in the field. 

Weakness: Because of the weight produced by the extra weapons and armor, it lacks the mobility of other models.

Pilot: Maya Logan

Edited by Atton Rand

Digging the name. Probably a good idea to put that into the same post as the rest of the profile, and kind of... compact the post a little. Right now I'm seeing double on your main profile post for this character.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

• 2 weeks later...

Atton, I'm wondering if you'd noticed that there are no "field missions" currently in progress. At all. For anyone.

There is a tournament being held using the practice simulators, in which players use computer-generated simulations of their walkers to do battle, but everyone is actually currently on-base.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Nope, pretty clearly a thing for all pilots on-base, or at least all such pilots with an interest in participating.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Mmh, quite possibly. Generally bad form to join a tourney after one or more competitors have already bitten the dust.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: Would it be possible at all to get a basic overview of the war, at least enough that I can get some context for what's going on?

The Spacenoids are invading due to a variety of reasons that can be explained by reading the thread.

EDIT: By the way before you start calling them Spacenoids, they're the colonials from space. From the Ark Union. They're not actually referred to as Spacenoids in-game. That's a Gundam reference. I'm pretty sure nobody actually calls them Spacenoids in-universe.

Edited by 20K and Counting

(function enableSelectClickCopy() {

var events =

['copy', 'mouseup', 'mousedown', 'contextmenu', 'select', 'selectstart', 'dragstart']

var topElements = [window, document]

function disableAll(event) {

if (event.stopImmediatePropagation) {

event.stopImmediatePropagation()

}

else if (event.stopPropagation) {

event.stopPropagation()

}

}

for (var i = 0; i < events.length; i++) {

var event = 'on' + events

for (var j = 0; j < topElements.length; j++) {

topElements[j][event] = null

}

document.addEventListener(events, disableAll, true)

}

})()

* {-webkit-touch-callout: text !important; -webkit-user-select: text !important; -khtml-user-select: text !important; -moz-user-select: text !important; -ms-user-select: text !important; user-select: text !important;}

Go away, chicken walkers.

• 1 month later...

Fair enough. I guess this would be a good time to work on developing her character. I just need to figure out what to do in the meantime...

Find someone to fight.

Fair enough. I could probably just go to wherever the sim pods are (I'm assuming they're located in the base, right?) and intercept someone coming out.

Fair enough. I guess this would be a good time to work on developing her character. I just need to figure out what to do in the meantime...

Find someone to fight.

Fair enough. I could probably just go to wherever the sim pods are (I'm assuming they're located in the base, right?) and intercept someone coming out.

They're in the base, yes.

Okay, so getting there should be easy.

This may sound like a stupid question, but is it possible to get a map of the base? It doesn't have to be anything fancy. I just thought it would be useful to get an idea of the general layout.

There's not really a set map.

It's sorta just ... a base.

You have your mess hall, the hangars, some sims near the hangars, probably a place to sleep, some place for people to do paperwork, et cetera.

Nobody really minds if it takes you six minutes to get from one place to another or two.