Bionicle Characters like SU Gems?

Fry

While the similarities are noted, I think they are few and far between. I mean, fusion and Kaitas as natural things I don't feel were all that important as they are of a theme in SU, and a lot of stuff has powers coming from a specific object that characters have. Although it's always cool to see the two together!

In honor of the anniversary, I'm making a signature. Neat.

It's an interesting comparison. I don't watch Steven Universe (at least not yet), so I don't know the details of gem fusions apart from what I've picked up from friends on Tumblr. I'm left with two main questions:

1. Do gem fusions retain the individual personalities of their component characters? In Bionicle, I don't think it's entirely clear whether Kaita's personalities are a combination of their component Toa or whether they just allow the Toa to "tap into" some higher consciousness. But from what I can tell, it's not a case where any one Toa's personality can surge to the surface or anything like that.
  2. Do gems only fuse in multiples of two, or can more of them fuse into one entity? Kaita have always been depicted as the fusion of three beings, though I don't recall if that's an absolute necessity.

Also, I never thought of it before now, but those two aspects of Kaita could possibly be connected. The fact that they're formed from three distinct characters merging could be the reason why no one Toa's personality is dominant in a Kaita. In a two character fusion, one character could conceivably "seize control" of the fusion's consciousness, which could mess with the fusion's unity. With three distinct consciousnesses, no one character's mind can become dominant because the other two characters' personalities would always make up more than 50% of the fusion. Not that this necessarily applies to Steven Universe or anything like that, just a random observation I had when thinking about Kaita.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

• Do gem fusions retain the individual personalities of their component characters? In Bionicle, I don't think it's entirely clear whether Kaita's personalities are a combination of their component Toa or whether they just allow the Toa to "tap into" some higher consciousness. But from what I can tell, it's not a case where any one Toa's personality can surge to the surface or anything like that.

Gem fusions are explicitly described as combining the dominant personality traits of the fused Gems. Any break in concentration from the fused Gems causes the fusion to short out.

• Do gems only fuse in multiples of two, or can more of them fuse into one entity? Kaita have always been depicted as the fusion of three beings, though I don't recall if that's an absolute necessity.

There is a canon three-Gem fusion and I don't think that there's any in-universe limit on the number of fused Gems.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

It's an interesting comparison. I don't watch Steven Universe (at least not yet), so I don't know the details of gem fusions apart from what I've picked up from friends on Tumblr. I'm left with two main questions:

1. Do gem fusions retain the individual personalities of their component characters? In Bionicle, I don't think it's entirely clear whether Kaita's personalities are a combination of their component Toa or whether they just allow the Toa to "tap into" some higher consciousness. But from what I can tell, it's not a case where any one Toa's personality can surge to the surface or anything like that.
  2. Do gems only fuse in multiples of two, or can more of them fuse into one entity? Kaita have always been depicted as the fusion of three beings, though I don't recall if that's an absolute necessity.

Also, I never thought of it before now, but those two aspects of Kaita could possibly be connected. The fact that they're formed from three distinct characters merging could be the reason why no one Toa's personality is dominant in a Kaita. In a two character fusion, one character could conceivably "seize control" of the fusion's consciousness, which could mess with the fusion's unity. With three distinct consciousnesses, no one character's mind can become dominant because the other two characters' personalities would always make up more than 50% of the fusion. Not that this necessarily applies to Steven Universe or anything like that, just a random observation I had when thinking about Kaita.

1. Garnet, a fusion of two Gems named Sapphire and Ruby, stated that after you fuse, you become more than the sum of your parts, that your old names may as well be your right arm and your left arm.

2. While no actual limit has been set, the biggest Gem to date is the fusion of Garnet (Sapphire and Ruby), Pearl, Amethyst, and Rose Quartz. While not seen in show, the Crystal Temple depicts them.

They're not the same, if they were then Matoro would still be alive.

While I admit they do have similarities, they aren't taken the same way.

In Bionicle, fusing is more mechanical, being only a feature. They can fuse to benefit a goal.

In Steven Universe, Fusing is a type of intercourse. It requires communication and consent. The crystal gems use fusing as an emergency protocol due to the more powerful forms. But that is not the intended case. Fusions are for a permanent romance. Especially noted with Garnet and Stevonnie

A kanohi can be removed from a toa without harm.

If you remove a gem's gem, the body of light dissipates.

When a gem is heavily damaged, its body retreats inside the gem.

*insert Matoro picture here*

But there are other places you can find similarities, or maybe make them. The only Toa Mata Kaita we've seen so far are Akamai and Wairuha, both very stable and balanced in personality, but maybe other potential Kaita wouldn't be. A Tahu/Kopaka/Gali Kaita might be dangerously angry and violent, possibly even unwilling to separate (like the Gem fusion Sugilite).

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins