The Principle of the Thing

Pahrak Model ZX

Toa Hahli walked along the shore of Aqua Magna, clutching tightly the satchel slung over her shoulder.  The waves roared quietly, rising up to her ankles as they washed in, and then washing out into the endless sea without a trace.  She had missed these waters.

Up ahead she could see him: a massive being clad in white and gold, clutching a warhammer in one hand.  Her fins twitched.  She still wasn’t sure she trusted this Makuta from an alternate universe, but she had already made her decision.  Now was the time to take a leap of faith.

Teridax nodded as she came closer.  “Greetings, Toa.  They are ready for you.”

“Thank you.”

Teridax directed her towards a small grove of trees a few meters from the water’s edge.  On the grass were six familiar-looking Rahkshi, who snapped to attention when they saw the Toa and the Makuta who made them.  Hahli looked them over, suppressing a shiver, and cleared her throat.  She reached into her bag and withdrew a small light blue orb that shone softly in her palm.

“Some time ago, I discovered these crystals scattered about the island I called home,” she said.  “In truth, we still do not know exactly what they are, or where they came from.  But, they activated some sort of mechanism that we now believe was placed in the Great Spirit’s body by the Great Beings.  And, in light of recent events…I am not sure that the Great Beings should be allowed to reclaim them.

“Thus, I turn them over to you.  You are each to take a crystal and travel to the farthest reaches of this planet, where you will build a new temple to house it and ensure that it is well-guarded.  Someday, someone may come searching for these treasures, and it will be up to you to determine if they are worthy.  I can think of no guardians more fitting.”

She came forward, handing the crystal to Guurakh, Rahkshi of Purity.

Next was the red crystal, which she gave to Turahk, Rahkshi of Courage.

The green crystal was given to Lerahk, Rahkshi of Faith.

A tan crystal was given to Panrahk, Rahkshi of Creation.

Vorahk, Rahkshi of Prosperity, was given a dark blue crystal.

And finally, a white crystal was given to Kurahk, Rahkshi of Peace.

Then they scattered.  Each Rahkshi walked off in a different direction, the crystal they had been entrusted with safely tucked under their arm.  Hahli watched until they disappeared from sight, and then turned and started back the way she had come.

“Fear not,” Teridax said.  “Rahkshi from my world are not as easily distracted as those of this dimension.  They will focus all that they are upon their mission—no one will obtain the crystals unless they have been deemed worthy.”

Hahli looked over her shoulder at him.  “I dearly hope so.  If Velika gets his hands on them, we have no way of knowing what he will unleash.”

She chuckled.  “To think we’d ever feel something is safer in the hands of Rahkshi…”

Teridax came up beside her.  “If the crystals do hold power, then perhaps we should consider using them rather than sending them away.”

Hahli shook her head.  “We’ve observed them for so long and have learned nothing.  Better they be sealed away, so that if something terrible should befall our people, our principles will live on to be learned by whoever comes next.  We have to think of what kind of legacy we’ll be leaving, just in case.”

“If that is what you think is best.”

They departed, leaving anything else on the matter to be decided by the Rahkshi.  There were far more important thing that demanded their attention.

• Upvote 3