Marshie's Lovely Eight Bit Kit

marshmellowt

tumblr_inline_nqbpuuX1AA1qmxsz1_500.gifMarshie's Lovely 8-Bit Kittumblr_inline_nqbpuuX1AA1qmxsz1_500.gif

a lovely kit for lovely people

salutations friends and people. i am the one known as marshie, and as you can see i have started drawing a sprite kit. because drawing sprites is just what i do.

anyway, let's get into what this kit is about. if you couldn't tell from the title, this lil' sheet is done in eight whole bits of color. that is two-hundred and fifty-six entirely different colors and if that doesn't blow your mind i don't know what will. the old nes-style type graphics is the theme for today, and i've included an nes palette on the sheet that i typically use, but you are by no means limited to using just that; really this is more about the simplistic style than the colors, after all. or at least, as simplistic as some of these pieces can get while still being reasonably accurate. what even is UP with that metru matoran chest piece, anyway??

so! as you can see this sheet is nowhere near finished yet. i've barely started on it in fact. but worry not, at the very least i intend to have a much wider array of masks to choose from within a day or two or three or seven. limbs, of course, will be expanded as well, and i will be adding bodies as i feel like it or stumble on a nifty MOC i want to spriterize....... but that's for the future. for now, have this barely useable sprite sheet:

tumblr_nrpz1hDl151r222rro1_540.png

current version: 0.0.11

additional items:

great spirit robot

as i said, work in progress, expect many updates. many, many updates. also feel free to tell me what stuff you want to see here specifically; i just jump around randomly on these things but if somebody wants something specific i'll probably actually do it. or if somebody has a nifty moc they want spriterized well i do love working with that sort of thing...

there's practically nothing on this thing yet, so i'm not exactly expecting some explosion in popularity but if anybody does want to use it for whatever then go for it. i don't have any restrictions on use, but it'd be cool if you let me know what you're doing with them so i can check it out and rate it five stars. unless the rating is out of ten in which case i'd be happy to rate your project 10/10.

that is all, please go back to your daily lives now. hopefully your life has been enriched by the knowledge that marshie's lovely 8-bit kit is a thing that exists.

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 17

I have no idea who you are, but you seem pretty cool.

Neat stuff! My only sort of issue is how the Pakari is smaller than the Ruru... but I'd rather see new material than see that get fixed or whatever.

Looking forward to seeing more! I'd like to use it for something, but alas, nothing I'm working on requires 8-bit sprites...

gen2 stuff is currently on my "list of things to sprite after this kit is actually somewhat useable" but if you have particular requests then there is a very real possibility that i will end up doing them as an excuse to procrastinate on the other stuff. or that i may procrastinate on your requests by working on the stuff i'm actually supposed to be working on. it's a very complex mobius cycle of procrastination.

• Upvote 2

uhhhhh i said i'd try to do a mask a day at the least, soooooo... okay i didn't do a whole lot today. have a kaukau.

tumblr_nqj6z6F0aL1r222rro1_250.png

that is not really a big enough update to bother updating the spritesheet just yet, hrm. in the mean time, uh, here. have this half-finished mata nui.

tumblr_nqj6z6F0aL1r222rro2_540.png

minor update:

okay, so, TECHnically this is only one half of an actual mask, but listen, the akaku is a real pain in the butt okay and i mean a REAL pain in the butt. also there is now a matoran pod off to the side there, for some reason.

tumblr_nql6wvk8z71r222rro1_540.png

Edited by marshmellowt
  • Upvote 2

that is an 8-bit rendition of mata nui yes. a very rough, very unfinished 8-bit rendition of mata nui.

anywhatsit here's something that's been a long time coming: toa mata bodies! of course there are no limbs yet that fit these torsos, so........................................ ahaha did i say there were no limbs well that is just patently untrue, how silly of me

well, take them anyway. they look pretty cool, i think.

tumblr_nqmps3j9Ks1r222rro1_r1_540.png

Edited by marshmellowt
  • Upvote 2

I'm sure someone can take the toa mata sprites and use them in a video game. Maybe we could have an NES styled Bionicle Fighter or a game following the 2001-2003 story if you choose to make the rahi on Mata Nui, Bohrok or Rahkshi.

• Upvote 1

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

i would certainly not discourage a project like that but i feel like i am obligated to warn anybody considering it that the end result will probably be lots of stress and ripping your hair out, and also you will hate yourself

anyway today's matoran comes to you courtesy of my good friend who builds things when i ask him to.

tumblr_nqqpe7UXJD1r222rro1_540.png

the matoran build in question

edit edit: minor update 06/29/2015-ish: just cleanup and tweaks mostly. the mctoran body looks nicer now, some other stuff was cleaned up, got rid of the earliest sprites because they are just horrendously out of date by now, etc etc etc. what's that? why is there a giant mata nui head? because... because. because stop asking me hard questions is why.

that said, i am going to go on radio silence for a little while. just a few days and then i will be back to drawing pixellated thingamajigs for your viewing pleasure...

Edited by marshmellowt
  • Upvote 1

your positive feedback feeds me

it does not, however, make me less lazy, apparently

tumblr_nrpz1hDl151r222rro1_540.png

here we have the metru matoran body finally finished, and the absolute bare minimum of work done on the rebuilt matoran body for me to be able to say i did something

anyway keep an eye on this space more will come, probably

• Upvote 4

not to nitpick, but this is more of 16-bit. Either way, It's amazing. Keep up the great work!

Look at the color palette. A 16-bit console like the Super Nintendo Entertaiment System or Sega Mega Drive is capable of more colors than the NES and the video games have more detailed sprites. Don't believe me? Just compare Super Mario Bros on NES to Super Mario World on the SNES.

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

• 1 month later...