Remember When...

Xabla

This is a topic about things people speculated, leaks, or assumptions,or theories that turned out to be false.

I remember when people thought Makuta was wearing a Krana in a leaked image.

I remember when people thought Elves was a Castle sub theme.

I remember when people thought Gen2 was a continuation of Gen1.

cringe

Dude, that was, like, less than a week ago.

Anyway, remember back in 2006 when we learned about the summer Bionicle sets through a shoddily-translated foreign product description? Axonn's axe could "cut through rock as well as butter", which seems to be a pretty handy dual purpose for a weapon. :P

On that note, remember the Gear Up poster? That was our first look at the summer 2006 Bionicle sets! Sure gave us a good idea of what the "Toa Igniters" would look like, didn't it? Gosh, 2006 was a mess. And people wonder why Lego doesn't like it when preliminary pictures and information leak ahead of time...

• Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Dude, that was, like, less than a week ago.

It's important to check periodically that you don't have short-term memory loss!

I also vaguely remember discussion about Krika's name apparently being an obscenity in some language, and people speculating about it leading to dire legal consequences or some such thing. Shockingly, this was not actually the case.

~B~

I remember when I had those canonization polls everyone went mad about. I've been away for a while, what happened to that whole canonization law that was supposed to happen?

Erm... I remember when everyone said that the TTV BIONICLE 2015 leak was fake.

I remember when everyone harrassed Greg to make him reveal BIONICLE 2015...

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

I remember when the "Name the GB" contest had just started, and someone thought that it could be Onua, and I thought it was the Shadowed One. 

I remember when serial updates for Bionicle were big news on the front page of BZPower. 

I remember the Ask Greg thing on Bioniclestory.com, and when someone asked why Teridax wasn't sent to the Pit when he rebelled against Mata Nui. 

I remember when you could play the Rhotuka spinner challenge on Bionicle.com.

• Upvote 2

I remember the Toa Igniters and the whole deal over them. I will say though the Inika had some of the coolest marketing and I still love the sets. Most of the ones I remember were set things (promo images of the 2005 playsets, Toa Igniters, etc...)

Fake Brutaka was one, people who were convinced they'd re-release the Bohrok + Bahrag after the swarms were reawakened in 2008 (still don't know how people reached that conclusion), Bionicle Heroes 2 (still a little angry that never delivered), when people were convinced the Toa Nuva were dead (2006 was a wild year), the whole Tuggle affair (fun times on BZP), all the prototype sets on BIONICLE book covers (Dark Destiny and City of the Lost, if I remember correctly.

I also remember the hoards of bring Bionicle back that spanned from 2010 until like, maybe a year ago now. There's probably more, but that's all I remember now.

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

I remember when the Barraki "Creeps from the Deep" teaser game went up on Bionicle.com.

I remember when the Mata Nui Rising video was posted on Bionicle.com.

I remember when the black and white preliminary picture of the 2015 Bionicle display was leaked. We're approaching the one-year anniversary of that occurrence this week.

On that note, remember the Gear Up poster? That was our first look at the summer 2006 Bionicle sets! Sure gave us a good idea of what the "Toa Igniters" would look like, didn't it? Gosh, 2006 was a mess. And people wonder why Lego doesn't like it when preliminary pictures and information leak ahead of time...

I don't think I've ever heard of that poster before, could you elaborate?

• Upvote 1

Hail Denmark

Here it is.

Apparently, even my memory was off. This was displayed at New York Toy Fair 2006, where the actual Inika were revealed. However, this mysterious character was a big subject of debate for the community—was this the long-speculated return of Makuta? Or someone else entirely? We only later discovered that it was, in fact, a VERY early prototype of Kongu Inika that had somehow been used for a huge poster without raising any red flags.

• Upvote 2

Here it is.

Apparently, even my memory was off. This was displayed at New York Toy Fair 2006, where the actual Inika were revealed. However, this mysterious character was a big subject of debate for the community—was this the long-speculated return of Makuta? Or someone else entirely? We only later discovered that it was, in fact, a VERY early prototype of Kongu Inika that had somehow been used for a huge poster without raising any red flags.

That prototype mask looks like a heavily-modified mask of shadows with Mahri tubes thrown in and Nokama's axe blade as a hat. Presumably it was made from exactly those pieces, rather than in a distinct mold.

The playsets look pretty much identical to their final incarnations, though.

~B~

• Upvote 1

Here it is.

That prototype mask looks like a heavily-modified mask of shadows with Mahri tubes thrown in and Nokama's axe blade as a hat. Presumably it was made from exactly those pieces, rather than in a distinct mold.

The playsets look pretty much identical to their final incarnations, though.

~B~

The actual sets were pretty much finalized. The poster was from a much, much earlier stage of development that Lego usually avoids making public.

A lot of Bionicle parts begin development with cutting and gluing existing parts to get ideas for shape, texture, etc. But by the time sets are revealed to the press and retailers, the sets are almost always closer to their final appearances.

Here it is.

Ah, thanks!

I had actually seen this picture before, but I didn't know it was shown as a poster at Toy Fair. Seems like a really odd choice, I can see why this created so much controversy. :P

Hail Denmark

I remember first getting into Bionicle in 2007 and thinking how cool it was that there were underwater robots. Then I found out there were 6 previous years.

I remember hearing of Phantoka and being like "Whaaat?! The Toa Nuva??!!"

I remember that retrospective video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpfNrl6RIvM

I remember the GSR reveal. That was mind blowing to a 9 year old kid.

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

I remember when the the Stars were leaked. I actually can't find any 2010 leaked pictures though.

I remember the disappointment and hate and hatred in 2010.

Pretty sure this was one: Bionicle_Stars_Teaser.jpg

That wasn't, if I remember correctly that was in the middle of one of the comics or Lego magazines? I remember the Stars were first leaked in october 2009 when Target listed them on their website. People were freaking out because the description mentioned a Gold Hau and people starting debating why a Tahu Mata would be released.

There's only one prototype image I'm aware of and its this one. It's interesting that almost every time a set includes a Gahlok-Kal shield its prototyped as a Kohrak one? I know that was the case for Lava Chamber Gate but its interesting that appears to be consistent. Who knows why?

a8a37ed351.jpg

• Upvote 1

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!