(pretty sure this is S&T material since i'm talking story stuff/locations/characters? shrug.)

Hey guys! say, have you ever had this thing in Bionicle that you think about a lot and/or like a lot but isn't actually canon or canon supported? and if so, how long did it take you to realize that fact?

for instance, I consider myself a major Voya-Nui fan, love the place to death really but,

just last year i realized the VN i pictured and loved was a mix of the five (dubiously canon) games, and a buncha stuff i made up in my head completely!

[Of course this is because Voya Nui was barely detailed in the main "canon" sources, so one could hardley blame me for such a process, still, ]

what about Bionicle have you headcanoned into a state of near-unrecognizability? I wanna hear!

• Upvote 4

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

I have to agree with you on the Voya Nui thing. The books mainly helped me picture just a bunch of rocks and dead dirt and bits of lava here and there. Then there was a green belt on the coast, but I never really bothered with figuring out how to separate it from the ice on the shore, a factor that was never really mentioned in-story, yet depicted in all other media...

For me, it's Metru Nui. Look at any map or comic depiction of it, and you'll see just a bunch of walkways and buildings coming right up out of the silver sea. The books and movies, however, show it to be more of a solid landmass. This sort of thing is why we have confusion in the story. :P

• Upvote 2

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I always imagined the Piraka Stronghold to look like the tower Orthanc. I suppose that I thought it would look cooler like than than the Bionicle Heroes or set interpretations.  

Edited by The Irrational Rock
  • Upvote 2

bZpOwEr

I agree with everything said by everyone above me that I tend to mix the interpretations of multimedia when it comes to landscapes in Bionicle. Another example for me would be the Antidermis pool somewhere in the Southern Islands portion of the MU. I always thought of it as being not just a random vat of green stuff, but also a lab or secret headquarters for the Makuta species. 

Well, from when I first read his name in City of the Lost (2007) up until about a year ago (2013/2014), I thought that Defilak's name was Deflika....

There's a few other pronunciations too, like Reidak (Ree-dak instead of Ray-dak), Lewa (Lee-wa instead of Lay-wa), and probably a few other names that I don't even realize I'm screwing up...

Also, how are you supposed to pronounce Av-Matoran, specifically the Av part?  I've always just separated the two letters (A-V -Matoran), but I feel like it's supposed to be actually pronounced Ahv- Matoran. :shrugs:

And along those lines, for some reason I pronounce Onu-Matoran as Uno-Matoran...

Edited by unknown456

Forever remember the Podu

R.I.P. Hahli, Lesovikk, and Ehlek. Died of Green Plastic Syndrome.

Pridaddy will always be with us

Most of the stuff that I think about which isn't in the official canon I've known as such for a long time, such as mixed-gender tribes of Matoran. I don't think I've had too many things which I thought were official only to later realize that was wrong. Probably this was due to reading most of the novels as they came out, and then since forgetting details (which means I don't currently think about them :P).

~B~

• Upvote 1

I thought Jaller was pronounced with an 'R' until a year or two ago, and I thought Lewa was pronounced Loo-ah until a year or two ago as well.

• Upvote 1

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

I thought Jaller was pronounced with an 'R' until a year or two ago, and I thought Lewa was pronounced Loo-ah until a year or two ago as well.

Likewise. I still pronounce Jaller with an 'er' and I switch back and forth between 'Loo-wah' and 'Lee-wah'. 

bZpOwEr

I mispronounced any name with an "Au" the same way you would pronounce "Aw", so I grew up saying Kanohi Haw, Raw, the list goes on. I also said Borok instead of saying BOHrok.

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

Yeah, I still pronounce Jaller as, well, Jall-er, not Ja-la.  I also used to call Hewkii Hue-wii-kii (Hewekii) up until about two years ago. 

I also still pronounce Ehlek as Ee-leck instead of Ay-leck, Kirop as Ky-rop instead of Kee-rop, Chirox as Chi-rox instead of Kee-rocks...

I dunno, I guess as a kid I had a hard time with pronouncing the names of the 2006/2007/2008 guys...

Edited by unknown456

Forever remember the Podu

R.I.P. Hahli, Lesovikk, and Ehlek. Died of Green Plastic Syndrome.

Pridaddy will always be with us

Yeah, I still pronounce Jaller as, well, Jall-er, not Ja-la.  I also used to call Hewkii Hue-wii-kii (Hewekii) up until about two years ago. 

I also still pronounce Ehlek as Ee-leck instead of Ay-leck, Kirop as Ky-rop instead as Kee-rop, Chirox as Chi-rox instead of Kee-rocks...

I dunno, I guess as a kid I had a hard time with pronouncing the names of the 2006/2007/2008 guys...

Kee-rocks? Kee-rop?

Those sound almost comical compared to Ky-rop and Chi-rox, IMO.

• Upvote 1

bZpOwEr

I also still pronounce Ehlek as Ee-leck instead of Ay-leck, Kirop as Ky-rop instead as Kee-rop, Chirox as Chi-rox instead of Kee-rocks...

Kee-rocks? Kee-rop?

Those sound almost comical compared to Ky-rop and Chi-rox, IMO.

I thought Chirox was pronounced as "kai-rocks"? Up until a couple of years ago, I actually pronounced his name as "chur-ox" or "chear-ox". :P   With Kirop, I always pronounced his name as "ker-op".

Ehlek's name is pronounced as 'elec', as in electricity. Remember those prickles on his back?

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

I thought Chirox was pronounced as "kai-rocks"? Up until a couple of years ago, I actually pronounced his name as "chur-ox" or "chear-ox". :P   With Kirop, I always pronounced his name as "ker-op".

Ehlek's name is pronounced as 'elec', as in electricity. Remember those prickles on his back?

I'm gonna have to agree w/ "Kai-rocks" 'cause it comes from Chiroptera, or, bats.

however i could see Ehlek being pronounced "Eel-eck" simply because PUNS.

• Upvote 1

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

I'm gonna have to agree w/ "Kai-rocks" 'cause it comes from Chiroptera, or, bats.

however i could see Ehlek being pronounced "Eel-eck" simply because PUNS.

I always thought it was a pun on 'electric', as in 'electric eel'. :P In the end, either way, PUNS!

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Ehlek-tric eels

• Upvote 1

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

just last year i realized the VN i pictured and loved was a mix of the five (dubiously canon) games, and a buncha stuff i made up in my head completely!

I don't care if VNOG wasn't canon, I take it as 99% canon in terms of geography.

I also said Borok instead of saying BOHrok.

I still say "Borok".

I don't care if VNOG wasn't canon, I take it as 99% canon in terms of geography.

I also said Borok instead of saying BOHrok.

I still say "Borok".

To be honest, the VNOG landscape was quite beautiful.

• Upvote 4

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

With the exception of Ko-Wahi, everything on Mata Nui was jungle. Nothing. But. Flippin'. Jungle. It wasn't until MoL that I was finally able to picture the other landscape types. Stupid brain.... ;__;

Ever since I got stuck on Chincoteague during a nasty storm, I've always pictured the coast of Voya Nui as such, but with tons of ice. Anything inland looked like Mordor for some reason... The 777 Stairs were a hybrid of the beginning of the Cave of Wonders in Aladdin and the underground chambers in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I had a very hard time visualizing the Pit itself in my head, so the region as a whole was some massive, eerie-lookin' ravine. Mahri Nui is basically Otoh Gunga, but not as pretty, and is level with the ocean floor.

Karda Nui is much smaller in my mind, perhaps only slightly larger than the Traveler from Destiny, which is quite problematic when you try to factor in the battles, high-speed chases, stalactites the size of four-or-more city blocks, the Makuta's hideaways, the giant waterfall, the swamp, and the Codrex. Also, the swamp was -- and still is -- one big sandy marsh in my mind. I never could imagine any flora taller than eight or nine feet for some reason. At a glance, the floor of Karda Nui would look a lot like Norton Sound, but with sand and marshlands in place of ice, obviously. I also have a hard time imagining the stalactites actually touching the ground... The whole of Karda Nui is just stuck this way in my mind, despite being shown its canon appearance in the comics.

As far as names, I mispronounced Lewa as loo-wa, Dume as doom until I watched LoMN, and Spiriah as spy-ra. Once, I was so tired that I misread Reidak as ray-dee-ack (well before the existence of Radiak) and it was stuck in my head for months.

Edited by SilverCor

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

Ever since I got stuck on Chincoteague during a nasty storm, I've always pictured the coast of Voya Nui as such, but with tons of ice. Anything inland looked like Mordor for some reason... The 777 Stairs were a hybrid of the beginning of the Cave of Wonders in Aladdin and the underground chambers in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I had a very hard time visualizing the Pit itself in my head, so the region as a whole was some massive, eerie-lookin' ravine. Mahri Nui is basically Otoh Gunga, but not as pretty, and is level with the ocean floor.

Your description of Voya Nui makes me think of an island that would be a mixture of greenland and iceland. Pretty to look at, but not somewhere most people would want to live permanently. 

• Upvote 1

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

I still pronounce Avohkii as Ahv-oh-kee, instead of Uh-voh-kee. I also prefer to pronounce Spiriah as Spur-eye-uh.

But that's just me. 

I have to consciously pronounce Jaller as Jah-luh, even after watching The Mask of Light countless times. 

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y:

I thought the six original rahi that existed in set form where were regular creatures like crabs, tigers, flies, etc, that Makuta had gathered up and thrown into what amounted to a large cauldron and used black magic to create horrible robo-monsters to attack the matoran. And the whole island of Mata Nui was on some strange lego world, thousands of miles across the ocean from all the other lego series of the time.

And then Metru Nui came out and I realised when I was wrong.

• Upvote 3

I also used to think that Metus was actually Mentus, and called him that until I saw TLR. Then I had to go check, and it was indeed Metus, and not Mentus.

I pronounce everything however the heck I want. 

I'm a native spanish speaker, so when presented with weird made up names and such, my first instinct is just to pronounce it phonetically as I would in spanish. (for the most part, anyway. obviously no silent h's because that would be silly) You know. Because, that is a language with mostly consistent pronunciation rules? Some of this stuff can get pretty ridiculous, as is evident by the above posters who like me interpreted the names differently. So honestly, at this point, some, what, 11 years after I got into it? I honestly don't care to find out how these made up words are actually pronounced. It all sounds right in my head, which is what matters. 

Edited by farmstink buttlass

AXKP5KC.png

I actually thought that Lewa was  pronounced "Loo-wa" until a few weeks ago in a Skype chat with The 1st Shadow.

And he laughed and laughed.

I used to pronounce Brutaka "Broo-taah-kuh". I still do now and then.

Wait, Brutaka isn't pronounced that way?  :blink: My childhood is a lie.

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

I used to pronounce Brutaka "Broo-taah-kuh". I still do now and then.

Wait, Brutaka isn't pronounced that way?  :blink: My childhood is a lie.

Nah, you guys are correct. It's written as 'broo-TOCK-ah' on BS01, so unless you've been putting noticeable emphasis on the first syllable, you're good. I wouldn't worry too much about it either way, though.

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

There's a few other pronunciations too, like Reidak (Ree-dak instead of Ray-dak), Lewa (Lee-wa instead of Lay-wa), and probably a few other names that I don't even realize I'm screwing up...

Wait... Its not Lee-wa?

It is Lee-wa. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong. :P

Nah, that surprised me too. I still say Lee-wa though. I just can't picture the Toa of Air as Hawaiian. 

#BetterHeadCanonThanFemaleTamaru

#HawaiianLewaNewBestHeadCanon

• Upvote 3

I called the Pakari 'Pakrai' & pronounced Skakdi 'Skadki'. I also thought the barraki were creatures that had an unfortunate time with the pit mutagen and mutated into sentient beings.

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.