Bionicle 2 Rayg Kit

Soran

Howdy everyone, Soran here. I've been bored recently so whenever I'm bored I work on a random project. This project is based on the original Rayg kit 2.5 created by InnerRayg. This version that I'm creating is not compatible with any former versions of the kit, it's a tad larger. So anyway I present to you...

rayg_kit_2_banner_by_soarinskies-d8za896

bionicle_2_rayg_kit_by_soarinskies-d8za8

Link

If using this kit please give credit to InnerRayg and Soran.

This kit so far features only one style of villagers, some skull spiders, a few masks and some prototypes. My goal is to make 3 different styles of villagers for the kit as well as all the toa and hopefully their masks as well. I will update periodically. This project will probably only last for as long as I'm interested in it.

Anyway, comments, critique, etc.

~Soran

• Upvote 9
soran_banner_1_by_soarinskies-d9ibpyf.pngsoran_banner_2_by_soarinskies-d9ibq3p.pngsoran_banner_3_by_soarinskies-d9ibq87.pngsoran_banner_4_by_soarinskies-d9ibqcq.png

It looks nice so far. The only thing I suggest adding is a blur effect that Rayg 2.5 often used for motion.

Also, try to make sure any color swatches aren't the same. It will make recoloring a bit easier. ;)

Edited by Sharnak the Bohrok Lord

Remember Artwork III?

It was the best of times.

It was the worst of times.

I like the rayge I might use this for that one comic that I actualy started and want to continue...... This is really nice tho

one day this will contain greatness only the best. But take this with the ocean of salt then you will know what to expect from this

Does anyone use rage anymore? I thought it died out when Rayg lost all interest in spriting and bionicle while Chimoru Omega and R became more popular.

Chimoru and RZMIK were/are the most popular kits for comics. I'm not sure about now but I know that Rayg 2.5 was mainly used for animations and video games instead.

Remember Artwork III?

It was the best of times.

It was the worst of times.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

wow these are honestly really nice... i remember BACK IN THE DAY most of the fanmade contributions to rayg 2.5 looked really noticeably off, even i had a lot of trouble making stuff for it that looked remotely decent. i can't really say for sure how PERFECT it is, namely because i don't think i've even looked at the original kit in ages, but this definitely stands out as one of the most impressive attempts to imitate rayg's style with the shading and stuff that i've seen

(the colors could probably use a little bit more contrast though)

RksnKgM.jpg

Y'know, I with someone would make a game that uses these assets. A game with a similar visual style as that of StarBound or Terraria, or a mix, I guess.

Edited by Toa Imrukii
  • Upvote 1

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

• 5 months later...

Soran, what do you think about my fan modification I posted in this topic? All I did was changing the colors and adding different breeds of the Skull Spider but I still would like to know your opinion on it.

They look good, I especially like the different breeds of Skull Spiders, specifically the scorpion one is well done. It's also interesting to see the kit using what I assume to be the actual Rayg Colors.

~Soran

soran_banner_1_by_soarinskies-d9ibpyf.pngsoran_banner_2_by_soarinskies-d9ibq3p.pngsoran_banner_3_by_soarinskies-d9ibq87.pngsoran_banner_4_by_soarinskies-d9ibqcq.png

rayg2015_zpsjcplf4sf.png

Here's my latest fan modification of the kit.
- I chaged the color of Vizuna's shells.
- I added Protector's dual-colored masks.
- I brought back the prototype sprites.

BTW, what's the name and the size of the font you use in this kit? I know it's basically just a non-antialiased, sans serif font like any other but I simply like consistency when it comes to fonts.

Edited by Onepu the Protector
  • Upvote 1

Onepu, I like this modification a little more than original Soran's version, cause I love these colours and there are much better detailed parts like those Skull Spiders, that's cool. I will use these sprites in my Rayg animations if I may.

Edited by Filo

This is pretty good! Thanks for posting it. I suggest adding more to it, though. Like the Toa, for instance, or maybe the Skull Creatures? Heck, maybe even Umarak! :P It's a beautiful kit that I'm considering using in the future. :)

Edited by FrozenPancake_

96DIFYm.png

A big thank you to Toucan Sam for the Okotian name.

[topic=gallery_115994_378_11223.jpg][/topic]

:vahi: [ON HIATUS]  :vahi: 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Howdy,

Uhm, I'm sorry to tell you this but I've just realised the Protector's sprite is just too big compared to most Rayg 2.5 Toa: HZhQtOp.jpg

You are correct. Because of the complexity of the protector's figure in contrast with the matoran in the past it could only be made at this larger size. Which honestly is interesting, because the protector sets are not really complex looking at all, in fact they're very simple compared to matoran in the past. The main issue stems from the fact that they actually have knees and elbows that bend, their arms are segmented which is a particularly new feature for the smaller sets. Because of this factor, they were made at the smallest size I could create them while still maintaining the detail of them. I actually pointed this out at the introduction to the topic.

Howdy everyone, Soran here. I've been bored recently so whenever I'm bored I work on a random project. This project is based on the original Rayg kit 2.5 created by InnerRayg. This version that I'm creating is not compatible with any former versions of the kit, it's a tad larger. So anyway I present to you...

I'm curious if anyone has any pictures of the sets from different angles, specifically angles that would support the traditional 8-views that are found in most 360º body sprites. Even some masks at various angles would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

~Soran

I didn't notice that, I'm sorry... But most people will probably want to use these with other Rayg 2.5 sprites so the point still stands (I'll try making shorter Protectors sprites but I can't promise they'll turn out to be good).  :P It raises another question as far as the compatibility with other Rayg sprites goes - why don't you use the original Rayg color palette? Don't get me wrong, I love your work but it's a thing that bothers me.

I'm curious if anyone has any pictures of the sets from different angles, specifically angles that would support the traditional 8-views that are found in most 360º body sprites. Even some masks at various angles would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

~Soran

You can check out JangBricks' reviews - he uses a rotating table to show the sets from different angles and they're in HD. Yeah, I know they're video reviews but you can pause them or take screenshots from them if pictures are easier to work with for you. ;)

I didn't notice that, I'm sorry... But most people will probably want to use these with other Rayg 2.5 sprites so the point still stands (I'll try making shorter Protectors sprites but I can't promise they'll turn out to be good).  :P It raises another question as far as the compatibility with other Rayg sprites goes - why don't you use the original Rayg color palette? Don't get me wrong, I love your work but it's a thing that bothers me.

~Soran

You can check out JangBricks' reviews - he uses a rotating table to show the sets from different angles and they're in HD. Yeah, I know they're video reviews but you can pause them or take screenshots from them if pictures are easier to work with for you. ;)

If you can successfully do that then I'll be impressed. As for why I don't use the original rayg palette, it's mainly because I just didn't feel the need to. When I'm spriting I often am starting from scratch so I don't use an premade palettes, I just use whatever colors look most accurate according to my computer. The colors I chose for the kit look most accurate to the sets I have, which is the main reason why I chose them. That doesn't necessarily mean that they're the right colors though, as it seems that many of you prefer more contrast in comparison to the colors I have chosen. Regardless it's a decision for you people to make as I don't have any plans for using the kit.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out. Videos could probably be even better to be honest since I can be more accurate with the perspective chosen.

~Soran

• 2 weeks later...

Fair enough. Personally, I abandoned the idea of the shorter Protectors eventually but I think shorter size could be achieved by shortening the limbs, the CCBS armor shells and the torso by 2-3 pixels each - I actually tried that but I didn't save the result (it looked terrible and needed a lot of work anyway). It made the Protector roughly the same height as a 2008 Av-Matoran, however.

As far as the colors go, I pointed them out because the color palette you used in the kit seems quite washed out, honestly (and no offence for that). I know that you tried to make the colors as true to the sets as you could but what's realistic isn't always the best for pixel art and more contrasting, defined colors of the original Rayg 2.5 work a lot better in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Back in my day, Rayg was the greatest kit around. Good to see another style so similar. I can't comment on the color palette choice, as I haven't seen 2.5 in over 8 years (I think 8 years, but it's been a while), so I've nothing to compare it to.

And as it's 1 Am at my time of writing this, I am far too tired to google search the 2.5 kit.

Remembering the OACP. 

Back in my day, we created amazing wondrous fictions within the Bionicle Universe.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm so utterly excited that even though Bionicle is over, people are still sticking to some of the old Kit creation roots by implementing the new sets. 

This makes my heart happy, for real. 

I'm about to get engaged, move to a new city, and Bionicles still make me happy.  :D  :crying: