Official Recent Musical Purchases Thread

kongutohunga

Ordered The Antidote by Moonspell and The Black Rider by Tom Waits.

edit: bought new copies of Heckbilly Deluxe and The Sinister Urge by Rob Zombie because I sold my first copies and lately I've been regretting it

Why would you ever get rid of an album that has Dragula on it? Good to see that the mistake has been corrected though.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

Just got Sacrificium by Xandria on vinyl, along with Billy Talent's new "Hits", and Pink Floyd's "The Endless River" on CD.

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

edit: bought new copies of Heckbilly Deluxe and The Sinister Urge by Rob Zombie because I sold my first copies and lately I've been regretting it

Why would you ever get rid of an album that has Dragula on it? Good to see that the mistake has been corrected though.

my old copies were BMG record club pressings that I decided to sell with the intent of replacing them with the Classic Album Collection box set when it first came out.

that never panned out and at some point I just sort of lost interest in Rob Zombie's music. that was over a year ago, and around Halloween this year, I started to miss a lot of the songs on those albums and regretted selling them. I tried finding copies in various nearby music stores for cheap (I originally bought mine for $3 and sold them for $1 each) and even tried to see if I could buy back the ones I sold, but to no avail. I didn't really want to order them online because I didn't want to risk ending up with record club copies again, so I just went ahead and bought brand-new copies from FYE for a combined total of $18. a pretty sizeable loss considering I already bought them at one point for $3 each, but you live and learn, I guess. I made a mistake and ended up literally paying for it.

that said, I've always been more partial to "Superbeast" than "Dragula".

update 11/20/14: bought Heckbilly Deluxe 2 by Rob Zombie and ordered Danzig III - How the Gods Kill by Danzig

Edited by Ryuujin

• 2 weeks later...

Probably not completely up to date, but here goes nothing...

Carl Orff - Carmina Burana

Imagine Dragons - Night Visions

Scorpions - Wind of Change

Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

Vangelis - Best of Vangelis

Vangelis - Blade Runner OST

Vangelis - Chariots of Fire

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Requiem

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Ordered Blitz by KMFDM.

Kinda wish I didn't leave it to be one of the last KMFDM albums I checked out, as it turned out to be my favourite of their post-reunion albums. Which is actually saying something, because Hau Ruck was really good. At least it was a pleasant surprise, as I thought the last two or three of their albums I had left to go through would all be average at best like the two that came after Blitz.

Also visited the record store and picked up Black Widow by In This Moment, Demigod by Behemoth and Bone Machine by Tom Waits.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

my pre-order copy of Dream Theater's third album, "Awake", on gold/grey/blue splatter vinyl arrived in the mail a few days ago, so that was awesome.

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

ordered So Far, So Good... So What! and Youthanasia by Megadeth

edit: bought Red Lamb's self-titled debut. not sure how I overlooked this when it came out in 2012. it's an album co-written and co-produced between ex-Anthrax guitarist Dan Spitz and Dave Mustaine, with the latter also performing uncredited vocals on a number of tracks. sounds a lot like Megadeth's recent stuff crossed with some more modern hard rock/alt-metal elements (including electronics courtesy of Chris Vrenna). it sort of sounds like what Super Collider should've been. artwork is awesome too.

edit 2: bought Cryptic Writings and ordered The World Needs a Hero by Megadeth, thus completing the discography

edit 3: bought a new copy of Kill 'Em All by Metallica since I sold my other one a while back

edit 4: picked up State of Euphoria to finish off my Belladonna-era Anthrax collection, and got the 2-disc 2010 reissue of Agent Orange by Sodom

edit 5: I'm usually a Belladonna Anthrax purist but I made one exception and ordered Sound of White Noise because that's a pretty killer album either way

Edited by Ryuujin

• 2 weeks later...

the original Viva Emptiness by Katatonia on CD, and Rush's Hemispheres on vinyl, but the awesome canada-exclusive translucent red version. yay.

E8c8QpP.jpg

Bonded by Blood by Exodus and Ironbound by Overkill

edit: got The Legacy, The New Order, Practice What You Preach, Souls of Black, The Ritual, and The Gathering all by Testament

edit 2: picked up Bloodstone & Diamonds by Machine Head

edit 3: got The Years of Decay by Overkill

Edited by Ryuujin

got Relentless Retribution by Death Angel and Phantom Antichrist by Kreator

Awesome taste in music you've got there, my friend.

thanks, same to you

picked up Fabulous Disaster by Exodus and the deluxe edition of War Eternal by Arch Enemy

edit: bought Passage by Samael, The Satanist by Behemoth, Splinters by Vallenfyre, and The Mountain by Haken

also ordered the limited edition cassette release (only 100 pressings) of Oathbreaker by Hoth, which includes lossless and MP3 digital downloads as well. that album is quite possibly my metal AotY.

Edited by Ryuujin
  • Upvote 1

The Satanist by Behemoth, Splinters by Vallenfyre

Yes yes yes

Ordered Roads to the North by Panopticon, Aura by Saor and The Serpent and the Sphere by Agalloch.

A pretty brilliant year for atmospheric black metal it seems.

Was also planning on getting a copy of Arche by Dir en Grey, but it's a Japan-only release and the cheapest import is £50, so I'll pass on that one.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

bought Nightmares Made Flesh by Bloodbath

Yes yes yes

honestly not super into the Behemoth album, in fact I feel like it's shaping up to be the most overrated metal album of the year. I like it, it's good, but it doesn't blow me away like it seems to other people, and I honestly have a hard time taking those over-the-top lyrics seriously, especially when taking into consideration the fact that Nergal is pretty much a superstar in Poland who's known for his high-profile relationships with pop stars and judging the Polish equivalent of The Voice.

Vallenfyre, on the other hand, is excellent. a great example of a band who aren't exactly innovative at their craft but good enough at it that they can shape it into one of the best albums of the year. almost definitely going to be in my top 5 metal albums for this year.

Was also planning on getting a copy of Arche by Dir en Grey, but it's a Japan-only release and the cheapest import is £50, so I'll pass on that one.

I wonder what's up with that? I was looking forward to that album as well, and both of the previous albums got international releases. I wonder why this one hasn't so far.

Edited by Ryuujin

Yes yes yes

honestly not super into the Behemoth album, in fact I feel like it's shaping up to be the most overrated metal album of the year. I like it, it's good, but it doesn't blow me away like it seems to other people, and I honestly have a hard time taking those over-the-top lyrics seriously, especially when taking into consideration the fact that Nergal is pretty much a superstar in Poland who's known for his high-profile relationships with pop stars and judging the Polish equivalent of The Voice.

All these months later it's still a likely candidate for my AotY, top 5 at the very least, so I disagree completely =P

I mean, I totally get not being amazed by it, but I love this sort of pretentious, grandiose kind of extreme metal. I'll also admit that it probably shapes my opinion on the album positively knowing the story behind it, with Nergal's battle with leukemia and him essentially coming face to face with death and all that, so there's some sentimental value in it for me, even though I was never really a fan of the band before.

If I can sound like a total pretentious *** for a moment, a lot of the appeal for me is what the album represents. The whole defiance of death thing, but also the Nietzsche inspired ideas on art. I read an interview with Nergal where he went into detail about it. In terms of the philosophy behind it, The Satanist is kinda like this year's Das Seelenbrechen for me, just not nearly as brilliant.

Plus, the actual music and songwriting is really strong too in my opinion. Won't hold it against you though.

And yeah, hopefully the Dir en Grey album gets an international release at some point. Boris broke my heart with Japan-only releases enough.

Edited by Ghost of Romance
  • Upvote 1

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

Yes yes yes

All these months later it's still a likely candidate for my AotY, top 5 at the very least, so I disagree completely =P

I mean, I totally get not being amazed by it, but I love this sort of pretentious, grandiose kind of extreme metal. I'll also admit that it probably shapes my opinion on the album positively knowing the story behind it, with Nergal's battle with leukemia and him essentially coming face to face with death and all that, so there's some sentimental value in it for me, even though I was never really a fan of the band before.

If I can sound like a total pretentious *** for a moment, a lot of the appeal for me is what the album represents. The whole defiance of death thing, but also the Nietzsche inspired ideas on art. I read an interview with Nergal where he went into detail about it. In terms of the philosophy behind it, The Satanist is kinda like this year's Das Seelenbrechen for me, just not nearly as brilliant.

Plus, the actual music and songwriting is really strong too in my opinion. Won't hold it against you though.

see, that's probably part of my problem then. I didn't actually look all too much into the deeper meaning of the lyrics - I was just taking them at face value as a really over-the-top Satan-and-blasphemy act. I'll have to read up on the concept behind it and give it a few more listens before the end of the year. maybe everything will fall into place and I'll really get into it.

I did enjoy a lot of the music though, the vocals were really good and the whole thing did have a really nice atmosphere, but my (mis?)interpretation of the lyrics just killed it for me on my first few listens so far.

edit: bought Infinite Darkness by Hoth

Edited by Ryuujin

found the record store day exclusive re-issue of Genesis' first album, "From Genesis To Revelation"

E8c8QpP.jpg

Finally found a copy of Boris at Last -Feedbacker- by Boris at an acceptable price (a brand new copy, no less), so went ahead and ordered that.

Still wasn't cheap, but it's one of my favourite albums so it's about time I actually got a copy.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

Continuing my luck with Japanese-only releases, found a reasonably priced copy of Aratamemashite, Hajimemashite, Midori Desu (Hello everyone. Nice to meet you. We are Midori) by Midori. Really happy with it since I've been looking for it for a long time.

Gonna take forever for it to arrive though.

Also picked up Money by KMFDM.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

For Christmas, I got Illusions, by Thomas Bergersen. I have been wanting this masterpiece ever since it came out in 2011!

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light