How relevant is Hero Factory to the 2015 Bionicle sets?

Kid Icarus

Yesterday I happened to come across a Hero Factory set and noticed that the parts would be entirely interchangeable with Bionicles. I think it was called Speeda Demon and had a green guy with a purple motorbike.

I was never into Hero Factory so this was my first time actually seeing a set. As far as MOC purposes go or even just for spare parts, would it be worth it to pick it up? I'm pretty sure it was full price of like $35 which is more than any current Bionicle set.

Have any of you been into Hero Factory and if so do you keep them in the same place as your Bionicle?

2015 Bionicle uses the CCBS system introduced by Hero Factory back in 2011. The parts are entirely interchangeable. Why would LEGO make a system that isn't compatible with their other stuff? 

As to your question, yes, Speeda Demon is a decent set with a lot of good parts. (especially the purple. :) )

• Upvote 2

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

The only problem with the purple motorbike is that Onua is the only one that fully matches the color scheme.

My mom threw away all of my G1 Bionicles a few years back when I first went to college so I've been trying to re-collect pieces.

Man that is pretty heartbreaking

• Upvote 10

:y::m_o::l::m_o:

Any Hero Factory sets after 2011 use the same Character and Creature Building System as the current BIONICLE sets, which definitely makes them useful for MOCists (especially if you can get them at a discount). Also useful are parts from the DC Comics Super Heroes, Marvel Super Heroes, Legends of Chima, and Star Wars buildable figures, which all use the same system.

Granted, there are some Hero Factory parts that don't really fit the current BIONICLE aesthetic and have a more futuristic look. For example, many of the helmets have features like microphones, cameras, and radio antennas molded into them, which would probably seem a bit out-of-place on a BIONICLE figure. But in fairness, the Mahiki in 2001 and the Akaku Nuva in 2002 had a microphone molded into it, so this isn't any kind of absolute rule.

Likewise, if you're interested in sticking strictly to the BIONICLE aesthetic, you might not have much use for the head pieces from the Super Heroes, Legends of Chima, and Star Wars constraction sets (though I've had plenty of fun sticking Batman's head on various new BIONICLE figures, since it's at more or less the same scale). But plenty of builders like IGU manage not to limit themselves to any one theme's style and put even some of the weirdest CCBS parts to great use. For example, his Scorpion King MOC uses Hero Factory visors as eyes and Legends of Chima vulture heads as toes and a stinger.

As a bonus, the LEGO color palette has not changed much since 2011 (besides a few more colors like Olive Green and Spring Yellowish Green being added), so there's not really any risk of buying a CCBS set that uses now-discontinued colors.

As far as actual play value is concerned, I think the new BIONICLE sets manage to beat most of their predecessors, but when it comes to parts value a lot of these other constraction themes really do deliver.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 6

Speeda Demon is an excellent set, if you can find him on discount. Retail price is a flop on price-per-piece. 

As for the real question, they are all compatible, but it might take some creativity to get around some aesthetic conflicts. For example, the Breakout chest piece and Hero Core look mildly out-of-place with the bulky pistoned look of the Toa. I find that vanilla shells like the lime provided by Speeda work better than the differing themes' shell add-ons. 

There is a notable incompatibility between "Glatorian" heads and the 2015 masks, which has already been established, and possibly between the previous masks and the 2015 heads. Pretty sure all of them go on the 2014 Brain Attack heads, though. 

• Upvote 2

I never even knew about those other themes. I remember as a kid how offended I'd get when I found a Bionicle piece in a non-Bionicle set. Feels kinda silly now.

That's interesting to hear. Personally, I never felt that way. In fact, back in the day there were quite a few Racers sets I became interested in mainly because they had BIONICLE pieces or BIONICLE-compatible pieces in rare colors!

• Upvote 2

The only problem with the purple motorbike is that Onua is the only one that fully matches the color scheme.

My mom threw away all of my G1 Bionicles a few years back when I first went to college so I've been trying to re-collect pieces.

Dang, that's rough. :(  I wish you luck on your re-collecting efforts! :D

• Upvote 2

~Daler

To answer the question, Hero Factory's pieces are largely helpful to the 2015 sets. The only reason I can Make CCBS MoC's for the new Bionicle line is because of the Hero Factory parts I have in reserve. They are pretty important also considering that all the pieces that aren't new/aren't gears were created for Hero Factory originally.

• Upvote 1

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

Off topic post: Unfortunately, I don't think Biosector01 didn't store their old pictures of the kanohi and replaced them with the newer ones when the web pages were redesigned. Anyone know where I can access them?

On topic post: It's a shame the old kanohi got discontinued, it would've been cool to see them use in other ways like wall decorations for system sets or shown up in hero factory sets as armor pads. What also sucks about CCBS is that lego seems pretty stingy on shell molding, printing or even addons, Bionicle looks too much like hero factory due to the lack of the aforementioned moulds, prints and addons.

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

What also sucks about CCBS is that lego seems pretty stingy on shell molding, printing or even addons, Bionicle looks too much like hero factory due to the lack of the aforementioned moulds, prints and addons.

I'm inclined to disagree here. The 2015 Toa all have unique torso shell printing and make use of the piston add-on that's now semi-famous. Not to mention the unique mask moulds, the unique head piece, and the gearbox.

Hero Factory, by contrast, has had more add-ons, but all are less distinctive and different than the Bionicle add-on. Also HF has had more printing in its five-year run, if you count all the printed shells and torso pieces over its five year run. So the lack of prints and add-ons actually makes Bionicle look less like Hero Factory. 

(Also, prints and add-ons make more sense in a Sci-Fi theme than a fantasy one anyway.)

Wow! That is extremely sad. ;( Well, this reminds me of a time when my mom threw away my G1 sets from 2001-2005, too. But I hope you can re-collect pieces.:)

Edited by Lenny7092

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Well, there have been a number of great answers in this thread, but people are forgetting the biggest difference between Hero Factory and Bionicle parts: one toyline's parts are good, the other line's... not so much. 

• Upvote 1

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Well, there have been a number of great answers in this thread, but people are forgetting the biggest difference between Hero Factory and Bionicle parts: one toyline's parts are good, the other line's... not so much.

Sounds like someone's itching to start a fight... though I'm not sure whom with. :P

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

The first year of HF was the best aesthetic-wise, tbh. 

• Upvote 2

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I've never collected hero factory sets although my friend gave me one of his spare evo mini figures and a spare orange kaiju spider from IFB series.

Personally i wasn't interested in buying Hero Factory sets, but i do applaud them for giving a great new building system which greatly improved how to build bionicle sets when the line was rebooted.

qs3135.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If my mom threw away my bionics, gave them away or anything I would be so mad at her.

• Upvote 1