Set Review: 70791 Skull Warrior

70791_Skull_Warrior_Review_teaser.jpg

It's time to wrap up our reviews of the summer 2015 LEGO Bionicle sets. Today Blog Leader DeeVee takes a look at 70791 Skull Warrior, representative of the undead horde Kulta the Skull Grinder raises to steal the Mask of Creation. Will this skeletal set be worth your while, or should you leave it buried on the store shelf? Read on to find out and see how you can win a copy!

View the full article

• Upvote 5

Great Review! I actually like this guy. He pulls off the skeletal look pretty well and has an alright color scheme besides the translucent orange. Although, he's a little too skeletal for my taste, and I think some more armor could of made him look better. Very nice masks and weapons as well. Overall, he's okay, but I'm not sure if I'm going to pick him up.

Vote in the 2016 Set Poll! 3 Votes Maximum. http://strawpoll.me/6685187/r

Ah, this review was excellent. I'm glad DeeVee got this one, the (great as always) photos really make Warrior look fantastic. He's been my favorite skull guy from the beginning. As the review says, he's simple, but does everything he needs to well. His mask is great, his colors are great. The asymmetry and two weapons give him some nice variety and he just. He just looks like a good set. I'm really looking forward to getting him.

• Upvote 1

AXKP5KC.png

Thanks for the review. The lack of armor around the arms and legs capture the zombie/skeleton appearance really well like how it just rose from it's grave or something. The masks and pieces are great too. The build is a bit simple compared to the other Skull sets, but I guess that's fine by me.

pWPTu7m.jpg

Good review! I really like this set as well.

There are a couple things I'm going to nitpick, so please forgive me this. First, it struck me as a bit odd when you called this "one of the real first archery-leaning sets in the entire BIONICLE canon" when in the very last wave we had the Protector of Jungle's Air Elemental Flame Bow. Granted, you said "one of" the first, but it seems a little bit odd to make such a big deal of that when that set is still a recent memory!

Second, do you mind if I or one of the other news team members rephrases the sentence "...I improvised until made aware of the official bow-on-back-blade-in-hand photo by Scott"? The way that's phrased it sounds as if I took the photo, when really I just linked you to it. The photo was by BZPower user Dakhann, who shared a lot of lovely pics of this set in this topic. Unless Dakhann's name is Scott also, in which case this whole paragraph is just going to seem awkward. :P

The ribcage piece in this set in particular reminds me a bit of Nocturn, and makes me wonder how cool it could look as spines on the lower legs or shoulders of some underwater baddie!

His "Freeze Bow" is an unusual weapon, since it's the only weapon of the new villains that seems to have an obvious elemental theme. It makes me wonder if maybe the drained power of the Golden Mask of Ice might be what fuels it?

The problem with the right shoulder losing friction is one I'd previously had with Kopaka. A third eight-tooth gear and friction pin fixes it pretty well.

Great photos overall! And besides a bit of glare/discoloration from the light box, you did a good job with the video.

• Upvote 1

First, it struck me as a bit odd when you called this "one of the real first archery-leaning sets in the entire BIONICLE canon" when in the very last wave we had the Protector of Jungle's Air Elemental Flame Bow. Granted, you said "one of" the first, but it seems a little bit odd to make such a big deal of that when that set is still a recent memory!

You hit the nail on the head with the "one of". The PoJ is the sole reason I made the qualifier, but its status as a smaller, more impulse-level set makes it feel like less of a set of importance in that regard.

Second, do you mind if I or one of the other news team members rephrases the sentence "...I improvised until made aware of the official bow-on-back-blade-in-hand photo by Scott"? The way that's phrased it sounds as if I took the photo, when really I just linked you to it. The photo was by BZPower user Dakhann, who shared a lot of lovely pics of this set in this topic. Unless Dakhann's name is Scott also, in which case this whole paragraph is just going to seem awkward.

To bolded section: I can't for the life of me, with the way grammar works, see how it implies you took the photo (especially with the "official bow-on-the-back" qualifier), but if it bothers you, sure? The photos by the member in question aren't what I'm referring to, I'm referring to the official set image you posted from the LEGO website, which is (shamefully) also on the back of the set's box. I just hadn't paid enough attention to the official images, assuming I knew what I needed from the in person NYTF images. That was wrong!

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

This may look like a dumb question, but does his mask is supposed to be a mask or is supposed to represent his decomposing and dead face?

Well, since Skull Scorpio and Skull Basher wear Bull Skull masks, I'd say that Skull Warrior and Kulta (Skull Grinder) also wear masks. So yes, I'd say he is wearing a mask with no notable decomposing face. EDIT: Besides, they're all using the same mask connection and pop-off function. I don't think it'd be LEGO's thing to have pop-off faces.

Edited by Rooster Nui
  • Upvote 1

Great review and nice to see how good of a set this one is. I do love the asymmetrical armor look for Skull Warrior

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I must say: this set is epic! I love the idea that he can hold two weapons: one for use while the other on his back, in a similar fashion as Evo from Brain Attack in Hero Factory. His weapons look very cool, including their designs. They make him look like that he can make a tough opponent who can fight a Toa hard. He is also like an evil counterpart to Lewa when Lewa has the Protector of Jungle's bow. The armor on Skull Warrior looks epic, and light blue pieces go very well with his dark gray and black pieces. The transparent blue and gold Mask of Ice looks very neat. I definitely want to buy this bad boy, or skeleton (LOL.:P), when it comes out in U.S.!:D

Edited by Lenny7092

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

The orange tends to stand out in all these sets. It works here well enough with the blue, but not so much with the greens and purple on the other sets. ;)

I'll probably get this set primarily for the drained Akaku / Mask of Ice, but glad to see that it's not too bad overall!

:music:

When I originally saw the summer sets I wasn't overly impressed, but  I think I'm more intrigued after seeing pictures of them.

Not certain about this one. Nice selection of pieces and great masks, but as a set I'm not sure. Maybe I'll wait for a sale

• Upvote 1

Looking for a Voya Gold Kraahkan!

I used to think this set was the weakest of the bunch, and as you have pointed out in your review it still kind of is. The launcher design has been done already and nothing is too extraordinary about the build. But man does it come together nicely. It might just be your fantastic photos, but that colour scheme of trans blue and orange works SO well. The figure is imposing and menacing but retains the skeleton like physique without going overboard. The inclusion of a second weapon helps solidify this as a simple ground troop. Yet, while it isn't as distinct as the others, I find all the parts of it come together so coherently that Skull Warrior might end up being my favourite set of summer 2015 (at least from a collectable action-figure standpoint). Thanks again for the review!

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg