How do Matoran gain energy?

I always thought matoran had chips or organs of some kind that allowed them to absorb energy by touching their food, but if they don't have either of those things, then how do they gain nutrients?

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

From BS01:

Matoran have the ability to eat by coming into physical contact with an energy-bearing object such as a fruit, berry, or fish. In place of an organic heart, Matoran have some sort of power plant containing their life force.[1][2] Matoran breathe oxygen and, like organic beings, they need to drink water or liquid protodermis in order to survive.[3] They do not need to eat or sleep as much as their Agori counterparts, due to their partly mechanical nature.[4] Matoran will not undergo physical aging as long as their mechanical components are maintained, although it is unknown if they can show signs of mental aging.[5]
  • Upvote 1

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

My personal headcanon is that they can eat food orally, but it's considered really gross. Like Skakdi.

This is, in fact, actually canon.

I thought it was an energy conversion system. Remember how Toa convert EE to actual stuff? Matoran hands do that in reverse. As for nutrients, I thought they were converted to energy and then converted back to nutrients on the other side.

I thought it was an energy conversion system. Remember how Toa convert EE to actual stuff? Matoran hands do that in reverse. As for nutrients, I thought they were converted to energy and then converted back to nutrients on the other side.

That seems like a solid idea, but in the energy conversion system, wouldn't there need to be specialized parts like organs or devices?

From BS01: *snip*

I'm asking for more detail in how they eat, but I forgot about the power plant, thanks for bringing it up.

I imagine it's a bit like inductive charging, except for energy in food.

This raises another question, if they use wireless charging, how do they get energy only from their source of nutrients and not something else like a kanoka? Edited by Lewa the Soaring Champion

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

That seems like a solid idea, but in the energy conversion system, wouldn't there need to be specialized parts like organs or devices?

No, the Toa seem to convert EE to whatever element it is outside their bodies just fine without any specialized parts. 

I imagine it's a bit like inductive charging, except for energy in food.

This raises another question, if they use wireless charging, how do they get energy only from their source of nutrients and not something else like a kanoka?

Maybe they can absorb energy from inanimate objects? On Metru Nui, there were no berries, fish, or any organic food to "eat", so perhaps they did rely on kanoka or another energy filled object.