Makuta not a villain in Generation 2?

This thread is the place to discuss Makuta from Generation 2. Who is Makuta from Generation 2? ........ Or more importantly, who is he not?

He has a truly iconic name that every Bionicle fan knows all too well, but what do we really know about him? We know of the horrors all the Makuta caused in Ganeration 1, but everything we know about the mask maker Makuta from Generation 2 comes from the very first backstory animation released in fall 2014 ........ which is preciously little.

Many people depict Generation 2 Makuta as the main villain, but from what I know there is nothing that would indicate him being the main villain. In fact, there is nothing that would even indicate that he is a villain at all. From what I've seen, Makuta might very well be neutral, or even good. But let us recap the history of this character with an iconic name, but a very mysterious history:

During the peaceful times of Okoto Makuta and Ekimu forged masks and from what we knew, the Okoto society worked very well at that time, so no traces of either villainy or heroism. The peaceful times ended with Makuta creating the Mask of Ultimate Power. This ended up in a catastrophe, but there is no indication that Makuta would know about the consequences that his jealousy would bring. From all we know he made the first Mask of Ultimate Power in the history of the island, so it seems he couldn't have known of the extent of the powers and the corruption this mask would possess (honestly, why would he intentionally forge and put on a mask that would take control over his body). He might have very well been simply jealous and tried to best his brother in mask forging. In other words, he might have been more I. R. Baboon than Makuta Teridax from Generation 1. Even good people sometimes do a bit of nonsense when they get jealous, but that doesn't necessarily make them evil.

This is the place where information on Makuta as a character ends, because after he put on the Mask of Ultimate Power, he lost all control over his actions. As said in the animations, the Mask of Ultimate took control over him, so none of his actions between when he put his mask on and when he was knocked unconscious can be attributed to him. In Genaration 1 Lewa was not evil when he attacked Onua in the Nui Rama nest, he was merely under the control of an infected Kanohi. To me, this seems to be the same situation. All the destrustion to the island that was done was done by the Mask of Ultimate Power, so I would say that if anything, the Mask of Ultimate Power is the main villain of Generation 2.

As to events in the 2015 storyline, there is nothing that would suggest that Makuta has been awakened. For all we know, he might very well still be in the slumber he fell into after the Mask of Ultimate Power was knocked down from his face. This is where the history of Generation 2 Makuta ends, so far. In my opinion there is nothing that would suggest that he is good or neutral, but there is also nothing that would suggest that he is evil and there is nothing that would suggest that he is awake as of the events of the golden mask hunt and skeleton war. I would like to hear what other people think about this synopsis that I have written, so I welcome everybody to post his/her opinions on this little text of mine :)

Cheers :)

Umm Durmán

• Upvote 5

IhDIrLK.jpg

I think he is a victim. Of his own mistakes, but still a victim. Not a villain. There is someone else with unknown goals behind the rampage of the skull spiders and the undead reawakening after the masks of power. This is what I hope, at least: someone from the past of Okoto that will reveal more about the history and society of the island.

• Upvote 2

My personal theory is that the MoUP is sentient, and therefore the true villian of G2. Kinda like a cross between an evil Ignika and the Vahi from G1.

• Upvote 2

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

He's basically a tragic villain. 

• Upvote 2

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Considering the promotional materials labeling him the "mask hoarder", and the reputation of his namesake (which I think is powerful evidence, personally; with all the effort put into not confusing newcomers, giving the new main villain an immediately recognizable Bionicle villain name seems like a good place to start), it's pretty obvious he's going to at least start off a villain. His traits of jealousy and ambition lay the perfect grounds for a villainous character, after all.

I also think he's still in slumber (though the end of the trailer suggests this is when he wakes up), and it's entirely possible he'll be a tragic villain. But your argument relies far too much on trying to undercut some very logical assumptions merely on the basis of us not directly seeing them. At the very least, Makuta's almost definitely starting out as an antagonist.

• Upvote 3

I would love for Makuta to not be the main villain in the Gen 2 story. It would be a cool twist and help separate him from his Gen 1 counterpart.

But honestly, I think he will be the villain whenever he shows up in the story. Whether he turns good later on or stays the villain remains to the seen IMO. But I do personally hope that he get some sort of redemption as his story goes on.

• Upvote 2

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Whether or not Makuta is the main villain, whether or not there's the potential for him to be redeemed later on, he's still a villain no matter how you slice it. Jealousy is not an admirable character trait even in heroes, and when the reaction to that jealousy is to try and attain ultimate power, you know a character has crossed the line into full-blown megalomania. So far, the only difference between 2015 Makuta's motivations and the classic Makuta's motivations is that the 2015 Makuta's evil plan was not improbably perfect, and his initial betrayal resulted in some immediate and well-deserved comeuppance.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

We were told that there were three years of story planned at the very beginning of the new series.  
We know that there are three "legendary" masks: the Masks of Creation, Control, and Ultimate Power.
Given that this year's story focuses on the Mask of Creation, it does not seem to be too much of a stretch that the other two planned years will focus on the other two masks.  

So what does this mean for Makuta?  
Well, as others have said, he seems to have been possessed by the Mask of Ultimate Power before it was removed.  I think he will be the villain of the year that focuses on the Mask of Control (which will probably be 2016), and that a sentient Mask of Ultimate Power will be the final villain of 2017 (and thus the true villain of the three pre-planned years of the new Bionicle).  Will Makuta be redeemed for the final year?  I hope so, but I would not be surprised if they left him as a villain.  

I think Makuta will have some regret eventually, but first he will have to get over the fact that his evil plan was foiled by his brother and that he spent however long he did taking an unplanned nap. What a waste of time that was. 

The MoUP, however, is probably the main villain behind all the Skull bad boys. 

• Upvote 1

With the likelihood of him being a villain, I would love to see a comeback arc with him, sort of like Garmadon eventually did in Ninjago. I think Makuta wtill has issues to work out, especially after the ordeal with the Mask of Ultimate Power, but I think it'd be interesting for him to be on the "good side" later on.

Most likely we'll have the next arc be about the Mask of Control, ending with some sort of conclusion about Makuta or a fight with Makuta. It'd be a nice setup for a third year about the Mask of Ultimate Power, perhaps with Makuta tagging along with the Toa and Ekimu.

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

I hope he becomes a conflicted villain. What I liked about Makuta in Gen 1 was that he was never really a bad guy to begin with, in fact he did a lot of good things in extreme ways. It was jealousy that eventually led him into becoming the monster he was, and the gen 2 Makuta seems to be following that route. If he got some sort of retribution this time around, I think it would create for an interesting and unique character moment.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

I think this line summarizes what I think is the flaw in this reasoning:

there is nothing that would suggest that Makuta has been awakened.

While we can't assume G2 is taking all its cues from G1, Makuta seeming to be a non-factor until the "shocking reveal" was a commonly used theme back then. I wouldn't take this as anything other than that in this case, mainly because they went out of their way to clearly establish him as the bad guy that started these events rolling. Of course, maybe he isn't awake! That's a valid route to take too -- but that also wouldn't disprove his being the main bad guy. Somebody else could be trying to awaken him, and then he'll resume his role. In short... wait and see. :P

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

• 2 months later...

The way I see it, when Makuta put on the MoUP, he went power-mad, kinda like Wheatley from Portal 2.

Another thing... I don't think that Makuta is actually comatose. Think about it, we know that Ekimu was put to rest, but there's no metion of the same thing happening to Makuta, or that he was even found at all! Now, there's two ways that this could go:

The first is that the shockwave actually disintegrated Makuta, and he lives on as a ghost(?)

The second is that, when the MoUP was knocked off of his face, he still had enough residual energy left in his body to avoid the same fate as his brother. Seeing as what he had done could have been punishable by death, he forged a new mask( possibly the MoSS?) and ran, watching from the shadows, as the butterfly effect he set in motion unfolded...

Link to how Azi looks(UPDATED): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4Hh1oWv0PcbLWVKdnpaT1hZeFk/view?usp=drivesdk

Also, because THEMESONG:

Please do not post in topics that have been inactive for sixty days or more. :) Revived topic closed.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)