Future "girl-oriented" themes?

Aanchir

LEGO has made a lot of strides in marketing to girls lately. LEGO Friends is now one of their top three themes, telling stories in "our world" in the modern day (albeit with some occasional breaks from reality). And LEGO Elves was recently introduced as an otherworldly fantasy adventure theme using mini-dolls. There's also the Disney Princess theme telling movie-based stories, and there have been indications that LEGO will be producing sets based on DC Comics' new "Super Hero Girls" initiative.

So what kinds of girl-oriented themes do you see having a lot of potential in the future? You can suggest licensed themes or non-licensed themes. They don't have to be based on the mini-doll or even based on traditional LEGO System building (constraction suggestions are welcome!), but do keep in mind that a lot of girls like the mini-doll and that there are already a whole slew of themes based on the traditional minifigure.

I think a sci-fi theme with mini-dolls would be a great step, but it's hard to tell what sort of direction you might take with that since so many mecha and space opera stories have been noxiously boy-oriented, at least in terms of how they're marketed. A steampunk theme might have real potential, though, and would be something unlike most of what the LEGO Group has released in the past. The figures could potentially introduce lots of pseudo-Victorian fashions with a sci-fi twist. You could potentially include airships, mecha, and other types of sci-fi vehicles. I don't know how popular steampunk is with kids, though — I know LEGO designers have been trying for a while to pitch a steampunk theme but a lot of kids just don't get it.

One of the most popular kids' sci-fi franchises I know of currently that has a heavy emphasis on female characters is the cartoon Steven Universe. I haven't watched it yet (I promise, I will!), but from what I've read online it is very progressive in its storytelling, which is a plus. Of course, I'm not sure how popular it is internationally. Just from what I've seen of the character designs, I can't help feeling like it might make a better constraction theme than a System theme, though the diverse body types of the characters might present some real challenges that might demand creative new mold designs.

Share your own suggestions in the comments!

Hrm, girl-oriented stuff. They already have the "fantasy world" and "boring slice-of-life" stories covered. They could try historical stuff, life what American Girl does. I wonder if that would be a hit, or it would be out-competed by AG. I'm inclined to think not, since the price of a typical Lego Friends set is lower than the price of a typical American Girl doll, and has more play value. 

But apparently marketing historical period works to girls is definitely a thing. Maybe they could do time-travelers. That would be a really cool thing - like a bunch of girls who invent a time machine and go back in time. Then they could market all these character mini-dolls in period-piece outfits. 

A steampunk theme might have real potential, though, and would be something unlike most of what the LEGO Group has released in the past.

Make a Girl Genius theme! It would be amazing! And, of course, its numerous great qualities other than a female lead and many other strong female characters would make it have universal appeal, not just limited to girls as a target audience.

~B~

• Upvote 1

A steampunk theme might have real potential, though, and would be something unlike most of what the LEGO Group has released in the past.

Make a Girl Genius theme! It would be amazing! And, of course, its numerous great qualities other than a female lead and many other strong female characters would make it have universal appeal, not just limited to girls as a target audience.

~B~

you mean the one with the train beast right? because i am all about that.

• Upvote 1

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

~B~

I would go CRAZY for a Girl Genius theme, but methinks the source material is probably too obscure (especially for kids). Better suited to Lego Ideas, perhaps?

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Yes. Although that was in about the fifteenth plot arc, so there's plenty of prior material that could be drawn on as well.

I would go CRAZY for a Girl Genius theme, but methinks the source material is probably too obscure (especially for kids). Better suited to Lego Ideas, perhaps?

Well, they could always have brief storyline overviews in a matter similar to the Bionicle animations to sum up each arc (or at least the scenes the sets would be based on) and make them familiar that way. Prior knowledge wouldn't be required.

~B~

Yes. Although that was in about the fifteenth plot arc, so there's plenty of prior material that could be drawn on as well.

yeah i know, i've just been thinking about how that thing could be Lego-ified ever since i saw it. first thing that came to mind y'know?

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'm willing to bet that we'll see the DC Superhero girls as minidolls within the next year, probably won't get a constraction line with it, though. Most of the young girls I speak to in the 8-11 year old bracket will be quite eager to watch the latest superhero movie, but they don't buy the toys due to lack of female characters. Yeah, there's Black Widow, but she's often not the sort of character girls really want to be like... it'll be interesting to see how these things change with the Supergirl series coming out, Wonder Woman in the Batman v Superman film, among other things. We live in interesting times...

For an actual constraction thing, I'm vaguely turning over some space adventure in my mind involving a teenage inventor, a psychic space pirate, a superpowered cheerleader, an intellectually-enhanced hamster, and a "villain" who's basically what would happen if Princess Leia was raised by her dad. Might submit it next time Lego does a call for "theme concepts", if they can be bothered thinking about girls this time.

And I've said this before, will say it again: Bionicle really could have appealed more to both genders if they'd done things a bit differently. A few tweaks to the aesthetics, a more even gender ratio, more time spent on character interaction, and more strategic marketing, and voila!

• Upvote 1

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231