Bionicle Movie Concept Art Found

Michael Rose worked on the visual development and was an art director on the first three Bionicle movies, among many other animated films. Recently some of his work was discovered on his online portfolio with renders, concept art, and more. It's some pretty awesome artwork and certainly worth checking out to get a look behind the scenes of the creation of the movies.

View the full article

• Upvote 1

I think I fell in love (again?) with the aesthetics of the Visorak-infested Metru Nui. It's just so...hauntingly beatiful.

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/54230c8fe4b00401f5bacfc5/54245aefe4b0cee499908b9b/542e1a20e4b04b400009bc2b/1412307490511/Le+Metru_Street.jpg?format=1500w

Sidorak is quite hilarious.

Edit: Please don't embed images over 750 kB. Image linked!

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 2

Why is there a random picture of a Visorak falling to Metru Nui from the sky?  :blink: I know this is concept art, but that is still a weird thing to see.

Anyways, all of the these look great. I really like the ones that show the taken over Metru Nui. Though that may be because Web of Shadows was my favorite Bionicle movie.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Why is there a random picture of a Visorak falling to Metru Nui from the sky? :blink: I know this is concept art, but that is still a weird thing to see.

I think it's based off that one scene where Roodaka orders some visorak to jump off to their death. Sorry on mobile quoting always messes up on me.

Edited by Trizzlerz
  • Upvote 2

Wait so Teridax was the originally supposed to be the villain of 2005? Also from the looks of it the visorak originally hatched from the same canisters as the ones the matoran were imprisoned in in 2004, so were they originally supposed to be corrupted matoran? 

Edited by masterchirox580

It's time to move on.

I, as said when Biosector01 posted this on their facebook page, must question the legitimacy of this supposed concept art. Take a look at the picture below

Seq4_scene2.pnlAB.jpg

I want you to take a good long look at makuta in the background... Taken a long look? Good. Then direct your eyes to the picture below.

revamp_week_day_4_makuta_by_biorockdude-

Notice anything? That is the exact same makuta, in the exact same pose, featured in the image that is supposedly concept art... except wait, this makuta was built in 2013, and Web of shadows came out in 2005. How did the artist manage time travel? He truly must share his secrets.

But  sarcasm aside, this really makes me question whether that art is to be trusted. 

Edited by Voxumo
  • Upvote 6

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

I, as said when Biosector01 posted this on their facebook page, must question the legitimacy of this supposed concept art. Take a look at the picture below.

Notice anything? That is the exact same makuta, in the exact same pose, featured in the image that is supposedly concept art... except wait, this makuta was built in 2013, and Web of shadows came out in 2005. How did the artist manage time travel? He truly must share his secrets.

But really sarcasm aside, this really makes me question whether that art is to be trusted. 

Same goes for the pic with movie megatron as a placeholder for Makuta.

WoS came out in 2005, the TF movie came out in 2007.

What if the actual placeholders were makuta set prototypes (or something like that) and LEGO didn't want to show them?

• Upvote 1

SH0Gxlo.png

I, as said when Biosector01 posted this on their facebook page, must question the legitimacy of this supposed concept art. Take a look at the picture below

I want you to take a good long look at makuta in the background... Taken a long look? Good. Then direct your eyes to the picture below.

But really sarcasm aside, this really makes me question whether that art is to be trusted. 

Now THAT is strange!  :o

• Upvote 1

kudley_sig_2.png

Big time Kudley fan, forever T.U.F.F. Puppy fan!

I'm mostly known as FoxsDumbSeriesMaker on other websites, but here, I'm usually known as General Scales!

This is beautiful work. 

In response to fake movie concept art, it is not unknown for concept artists or just creative individuals to toodle around with making such material. 

• Upvote 1

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

But  sarcasm aside, this really makes me question whether that art is to be trusted. 

It seems pretty legit, but that (and the 2007 Megatron) are definitely weird. My best guess is that he went back and added those in much, much later (for fun? Nostalgia? Who knows), which also explains why Makuta would be in concept art for a film that really doesn't involve him.

• Upvote 1

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Seq4_scene2.pnlAB.jpg

revamp_week_day_4_makuta_by_biorockdude-

Yeah, I recognize a lot of pieces that couldn't have existed until the Mask of Life stuff.  Inika shin guards, titan thigh brasers, Pohatu Phantoka's extra-blocky propeller holders, etc.

• Upvote 1

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

Storyline inaccuracies aside (and honestly, I think it's a nice addition that the artist did his research for the most part before adding the information), this art is fantastic. I recognize some of the keyart from promotional materials for Mask of Light and Legends of Metru Nui, and seeing them at this resolution and quality is definitely exciting. The concept art for Web of Shadows depicting the ruined Metru Nui is also very excellent and it's wonderful to see so much of the preproduction materials surface now in the 2010s (coming fresh off those LoMN storyboards). The Megatron and moc Makuta pics are interesting though... Maybe he just made new concepts? For some mysterious reason... Hmmmm...

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

Why is there a random picture of a Visorak falling to Metru Nui from the sky? :blink: I know this is concept art, but that is still a weird thing to see.

I think it's based off that one scene where Roodaka orders some visorak to jump off to their death. Sorry on mobile quoting always messes up on me.

That might be true, but if you look at the photo:

Seq5_scene04_pnlA.jpg     It looks like the Visorak is falling from thousands of feet above the whole city of Metru Nui. And if I'm not mistaken, that is part of the city being shown in the clouds below the Visorak. I guess that could've helped to inspire that scene for the writers, but I have no idea why they drew the Visorak so high up above the city. Its as weird as it is funny. :P 

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png