How to Use a Squid Launcher

Daler99

Hello, everybody.  Late last year, while playing around with Kalmah, I suddenly sent a squid flying really far with the launcher!  Eventually, I figured out how I had done it, and I refined the practice.  Now, I've made a video so that you can launch your squids nicely too!

Here is the link: 

Best of luck!

• Upvote 11

~Daler

I dunno, the squishyness of it just didn't mesh with me, and the handle for a human-sized finger just looked silly and awkward on a Toa-sized set.

-NotS

well yeah, Mata-Nui only knows why it was made out of soft-plastc. :t

also, Update: i have juste tried it and that is the most fun i have had with thisa launcher since i got it years ago, too bad i lost all but one squid. :c

• Upvote 1

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

I dunno, the squishyness of it just didn't mesh with me, and the handle for a human-sized finger just looked silly and awkward on a Toa-sized set.

-NotS

well yeah, Mata-Nui only knows why it was made out of soft-plastc. :t

also, Update: i have juste tried it and that is the most fun i have had with thisa launcher since i got it years ago, too bad i lost all but one squid. :c

So my technique worked for you?  Great!  At least you still have one squid. :P

~Daler

I haven't tried it myself, but there's proof that it works with the technique you used and that's great. I'll be sure to try this out soon. 

Congratulations on finding a solution to a major problem, Daler99. Your newly founded technique is the cure to ending the reign of stress that this launcher caused eight years ago.

Edited by Rooster Nui
  • Upvote 1

A squid launcher actually firing properly?!

tumblr_m2pmf7CUwj1qezk6n.gif

But seriously though, nice work on finally coming up with a solution to it! Maybe now the squid launcher wont suck as much.

Edit: Please use spoiler tags for storyline spoilers only.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 1

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

I was able to get them to work back in 2007, but they're definitely one of the least intuitive Bionicle launchers... there's a reason they're the only one the LEGO Group had to make a tutorial video for. I think since then the LEGO Group has learned their lesson. The launchers these days are much less prone to misfiring, and the only ones that take any particular care or dexterity to fire are ordinary flick missiles.

• Upvote 1

Wow, after 8 years, Bionicle's biggest mystery has finally been solved: how to actually use the squid launcher :P

Now all we need to do is find a cure for G.P.S. ((Lime) Green Plastic Syndrome)...

• Upvote 1

Forever remember the Podu

R.I.P. Hahli, Lesovikk, and Ehlek. Died of Green Plastic Syndrome.

Pridaddy will always be with us

I seem to be one of the few that could actually use these things properly. I didn't need a darn video, that's for sure. 

Even then, easily the worst launcher Lego could ever make, I can see why many struggle. It's just so awkward. 

Edited by Craig B

So my technique worked for you?  Great!  At least you still have one squid. :P

and much like a hero of the old west....

I only need one.

Nice. :P

I haven't tried it myself, but there's proof that it works with the technique you used and that's great. I'll be sure to try this out soon. 

Congratulations on finding a solution to a major problem, Daler99. Your newly founded technique is the cure to ending the reign of stress that this launcher caused eight years ago.

Thanks, Rooster Nui! :D

A squid launcher actually firing properly?!

tumblr_m2pmf7CUwj1qezk6n.gif

But seriously though, nice work on finally coming up with a solution to it! Maybe now the squid launcher wont suck as much.

LOL. :P  Since I've figured it out, the launcher hasn't sucked as much for me. :P

Wow, after 8 years, Bionicle's biggest mystery has finally been solved: how to actually use the squid launcher :P

Now all we need to do is find a cure for G.P.S. ((Lime) Green Plastic Syndrome)...

Green Plastic Syndrome?  I think you mean...  LIME Disease... :evilbiggrin: :dontgetit: :lookaround:  (Lime as in the color of the joints... :P)

~Daler

I figured out the same solution in 2007, but I didn't find it necessary to position the squid at an angle like you recommend. The quickness of motion is key.

The reason being, of course, that the longer you pull back on the squid, the tighter it gets jammed into the holder, and the more friction it has to overcome when you let go. Pulling and releasing as quickly as possible remedies this.

-Letagi

• Upvote 1

You put the ball in the socket, and then don't touch it ever again.

At least two of Ehlek's sockets broke the first time I built him.

Strangely, I've got a couple 2007 lime-greens I was able to reuse several times...

IetTsFQ.png

Strangely, I've got a couple 2007 lime-greens I was able to reuse several times...

For my sets, I'm planning on getting tons of Keeleraks so I can use the nice 05 joints for my Ehlek and Hahli. ^_^  If I ever get around to it, that is.

~Daler

Two of my Ehlek pieces broke when I rebuilt him two or three times. I Bricklinked the pieces--and they were also cracked X_x

• Upvote 1

Well, there goes that mystery - are you a god or something?

Quick question now - where did that squid colour come from? I remember red and yellow squids, but not lovely blue ones.

I got the blue squids in the Squid Ammo Pack from 2007.  It's probably the least purchased BIONICLE ammo pack of all time. :P

• Upvote 1

~Daler

Quick question now - where did that squid colour come from? I remember red and yellow squids, but not lovely blue ones.

I got the blue squids in the Squid Ammo Pack from 2007.  It's probably the least purchased BIONICLE ammo pack of all time. :P

I literally bought them because Toys R Us was having a buy one get one half off sale, and it was the only Bionicle product I didn't have from that year. So I got it for $1 and scattered them around my Mahri Nui display. They've been sitting there since 2007, but it's too hard to get dust off them at this point. Are they worth anything out of package?

Edited by bioniclepluslotr

I literally bought them because Toys R Us was having a buy one get one half off sale, and it was the only Bionicle product I didn't have from that year. So I got it for $1 and scattered them around my Mahri Nui display. They've been sitting there since 2007, but it's too hard to get dust off them at this point. Are they worth anything out of package?

I would think that since we only just now realized how to use the things properly 8 years later, I would reckon no.

I knew how to shoot them back when I was younger in '07. But after I returned to collecting Bionicle I had forgotten. 

Thank you for this video! Now I can finally have fun with these bad boys again. 

• Upvote 1

bZpOwEr