Self-MOC: Araun, Master of Ice

From the icy peak: Toa Araun, Master of Ice

16633817938_49e90e7731_c.jpg

Bold, liberal and thoughtful, Araun takes his duty with much honour and selflessness. He wields two mighty blizzard-swords, and wears a powerful mask of shielding. Araun does not have a fixed idea of what the relic might be, but believes that whatever it is must be protected at all costs, and kept out of the wrong hands… But could his defensive nature lead him to hoard the relic for his own?

So this is Araun, my self MOC. His story as a MOC is far from mundane.

Originally, I had got a white Kanohi Hau in a mask pack when I was younger. I imagined this mask to belong to another Toa of Ice, who was originally called Aaron - yes, a human name. However, before I got the chance to build "Aaron", a school peer stole the mask. I was distraught.

Flash forward to a year ago, when I was making a wage and had a debit card at my disposal. I suddenly remembered the plight of my white Hau, and what I had in store for it. I hit up Bricklink, and lo and behold, the mask was mine once more.

Enamoured with the prospect of G2, I build the first version of Araun last year using the CCBS.

15534007610_3fa9229dfe_c.jpg

15098886254_da94092726_c.jpg

It felt good to finally have him in the plastic, even if he wasn't as originally planned. I used a gearbox design pioneered by ToaLeewan (Which I like to call the LW1), and used blades from the second - and last - wave of Chima CHI figures to give his weapons a very ornamental look.

When 2015 rolled around, Araun got a little upgrade. Introducing: Araun V1.5

15960244739_dbdc0f62a6_c.jpg

15959003570_81e05a812a_c.jpg

Bulked up with broader shoulders, Araun's character was really starting to fill out. However, those 5M shells over the knees were only place-holders for the new armour addons that came along with the G2 sets.

As soon as those came out, I could build Araun V2 - the current version.

16614114567_b8f989fff5_c.jpg

16633817938_49e90e7731_c.jpg

As you can see, this version's mask is painted white, so as to be in keeping with the current sets. However, he still uses the exact same LW1 gearbox as the first version had hooked up to his shoulders.

To me, Araun feels really finalised, as if he were a set I bought in the store - and I wouldn't have him any other way. But, he wasn't quite the Toa I imagined when I was younger...

16633809428_8c0c4efba3_c.jpg

This was. While now he's been decked out with period-appropriate sockets and has the Mata head and gears of old, the original "Aaron" that I imagined back in 2003 is finally here with me. 

I'll end this with a couple more photos of the current version of Araun. Enjoy!

16635271819_8346503360_c.jpg

This is the first version of his G2 mask. I painted another MoF lately, which has a much slicker paintjob than this one.

16199052204_04c48f7521_c.jpg

Here he is from the back.

16820279952_ff523beed0_c.jpg

Here he is in his signature pose.

15551039474_b89a7efd6a_c.jpg

Araun V1.5 wearing the Kanohi Vahi.

15768564987_b944697f24_c.jpg

A golden doppleganger of Araun V1 that I built for... No particular reason.

Edited by Logan McOwen
  • Upvote 14

He certainly does look like a set one would be able to buy if Lego had made it, which has always been an appeal to me in regards to mocs. Though that doesn't take away from the fact that it does look rather good, but very sleek at the same time.

• Upvote 1

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Looks pretty good! Though a simple build, it works well. One question, though:

Where the karz did you get those trans-blue blades? Are they prototypes or something? Because I can't think of any set that has fully-blue ones. White and blue marbled, yes, but not this.

• Upvote 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

It's simply outstanding, in all its forms. And with simply I mean simply as in, simple. It's got no complex or mind-boggingly original build, yet it is really good-looking and smooth. Bonus points for the cool (pun here) weapons and painted mask. I praise you.

But I see no crotch covering here, eheh.

• Upvote 1

Thanks or all the comments guys! I'm glad you all like him!

But I see no crotch covering here, eheh.

No no, not this time :P

Looks pretty good! Though a simple build, it works well. One question, though:

Where the karz did you get those trans-blue blades? Are they prototypes or something? Because I can't think of any set that has fully-blue ones. White and blue marbled, yes, but not this.

Those are from a third party set.

Edited by Logan McOwen

Great MOC. You make me long for all the colors of the masks...

• Upvote 2

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

This is really something to behold! I love the colors and the overall feel the character's look gives. Great weapon design, great armor placement, this does look very complete indeed! Good job :) (if it were a set, I'd buy it :D )

• Upvote 1

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica