Okoto Alphabet Revealed?

There's an imgur album where people have shared pages that they got in their preview. This includes some "random" pages that Amazon Prime members got. And it's clear in some of those images that this IS an alphabet. It is used to spell out names like Lewa, and in these sequences the letters can be identified from their resemblance to their Latin alphabet counterparts.

Based on that, I can confirm that the sequence on page 2 begins with the letter B, then continues alphabetically until it reaches Z and flips back to A.

I'll add an image/chart momentarily...

EDIT:

19163616513_0b8f98be00_b.jpg

EDIT 2: imgur link removed on request

EDIT 3: It's been brought to my attention that X and Y are probably transposed! No idea why the book would have them out of order, but switching them would make a lot more sense.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 10

I dunno about that chart. Looks to me like it says "Makuta" on this page: http://imgur.com/a/9qy9M#40

EDIT: Actually. Looks like you skipped a couple letters. So I have no idea.   :P

SECOND EDIT: I think Makuta has enough letters in it that you can decipher the whole alphabet from that lineup. Find "K" and work forwards and back from that. There's a ton of similarities between the English/Latin letters and these Okotan(?) ones.

Edited by IXRollOutIX
  • Upvote 2

It literally took an afternoon to solve this, lol.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Thanks Aanchir; I thought the letters might have been shifted one because of their resemblance to actual letters but didn't feel like speculating without later pages to check against.

It saddens me slightly that so much of the book can be read early due to Amazon's stupid "random page" feature selecting from loads of pages, not just a handful. Perhaps you should consider removing that link, so that people find it easier to avoid the temptation to spoil it for themselves...

Anyway, the symbols in the animations and on the Mask of Creation don't seem to match any on the alphabet. They are probably a simplified representation of Okoto writing, as there was not enough space / detail in the respective sources to fit actual alphabet characters.

Edited by Votuko
:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

:o

Well. there we go folks. Okoto runes as alphabet CONFIRMED.

I also like how similar the runes are to the Nuva symbols. They look very nice. I apologize for saying 2015 is just a watered down mess. This is great for worldbuilding and the fact that they are keeping some coded messages in the books is exciting!

-NotS

• Upvote 6

tahubanner.jpg

Now we wait for the inevitable font to be made. Not that that's a bad thing mind you, I'd very much like to have that.

Yeah, can't wait to use it as a smilie compilation like the old Bionicle alphabet... If BZPower decides to do that... which is kind of doubtful

-NotS

I meant as a font I can use on my computer, not a BZP font.

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

19596448180_5fabae11b6_z_zpscpaqftnv.jpg

Added it up myself, just to make sure. Haha.

This is awesome! Based on the resemblance between the Latin characters and the Okotoan characters, it seems like the glyphs for <x> and <y> should be switched. Possibly a small error?

• Upvote 1

This is awesome! Based on the resemblance between the Latin characters and the Okotoan characters, it seems like the glyphs for <x> and <y> should be switched. Possibly a small error?

I'd say probably so. That supposed "y" looks WAY too much like an X, and likewise for the "x".

Any clue as to what the Mask of Creation's symbols say? I tried to translate it but failed. :P

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

I'd say probably so. That supposed "y" looks WAY too much like an X, and likewise for the "x".

Any clue as to what the Mask of Creation's symbols say? I tried to translate it but failed. :P

It does not appear to be in the same language. Unless its symbols are, say, numbers instead of letters, or something like that.

Good point about the letters X and Y apparently being switched! I've made a note of that places where I've posted my chart, though I'm not changing the chart until I can absolutely confirm it.

Edited by Aanchir

Admins, can these be new 'emotes'?  :ooolala-sign:

• Upvote 5

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Awesome! Its great to have this tribal alphabet again! Its really making me feel like 01

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

(Turns out that this is just an entire coincidence and LEGO never meant for the runes to mean anything... :glare:)

But really though, props (does anyone even say 'props' anymore lol) to everyone who figured this out.  It's really impressive that you managed to translate it (and even more so that you noticed it in the first place)  :D Good Job!

*Rubs hands together

Now, lets go and learn a new language

Edited by unknown456
  • Upvote 2

Forever remember the Podu

R.I.P. Hahli, Lesovikk, and Ehlek. Died of Green Plastic Syndrome.

Pridaddy will always be with us

Ah, yes, a new language! Spectacular!

But on the mask of creation, the inscriptions are just gibberish, most likely just randomized runes made before the language.

If this is the language.

Also, this must be THE HARDEST THING TO WRITE IN. EVER.

Well, unless you are carving it into stone of course...

• Upvote 1

~UntitledModel_9.png.a8adc254dbd8da1586473030e7c7d30e.png~

This is really exciting and I love how much they look like Nuva symbols! Also, holy Mata Nui, that imgur link RollOut posted has every page of the first two books! I must avert my eyes, the temptation...

Edited by ToaDraco

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

This is really exciting and I love how much they look like Nuva symbols! Also, holy Mata Nui, that imgur link RollOut posted has every page of the first two books! I must avert my eyes, the temptation...

Nah just about 30 pages of the first one. But it does reveal the end of the 2015 storyline, so huge spoiler warnings.

But from the look of things, the second book will end up being an original story!

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

I have a feeling some of the other letters are switched around because at the moment they just don't seem to form a recognisable pattern, like in matoran.

For example, Okoto D is a backwards C, and Okoto C looks more like a D because of it's similar to an O.

It's the same with V and U, although they're so similar it hardly matters. The bit at the top somehow makes the symbol feel sharper, like a V.

Also, this must be THE HARDEST THING TO WRITE IN. EVER.

Well, unless you are carving it into stone of course...

Or onto squared paper. Just use the squares as the outline of each character and draw the little inner symbol.

It does not appear to be in the same language. Unless its symbols are, say, numbers instead of letters, or something like that.

Good point about the letters X and Y apparently being switched! I've made a note of that places where I've posted my chart, though I'm not changing the chart until I can absolutely confirm it.

I was able to see a G and an F on the MOC.

It's time to move on.

I thought it would be very cool if the writing on the Mask of Creation was its G1-style Kanohi name written in the Okoto alphabet.

Unfortunately, many of the symbols don't appear to match anything on the alphabet. For example, there is a symbol which is three horizontal lines, which could be an "m" on its side, but then the letters would have to be in an unconventional column format. Other symbols are harder to separate out because they are not in individual squares like the Okoto Alphabet letters.

It was also pointed out a while back by somebody on another thread - credit to them - that the "writing" on the Mask of Creation is the exact same pattern as is written in the animations on the Prophesy wall, with some copy-pasting and mirroring here and there.

So what we have appears to be a generic "rune strip" to imply writing, perhaps that is too small to read or that is in a more ancient language than modern "Okotoan".

(Out of story; the Okoto Alphabet was either designed after the animations, or the symbols were deemed too complex to incorporate into the animations' simplified art style.)

• Upvote 4
:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

Hooray! Now I can have a decent, unique, BIONICLE-related sig!

EDIT: If we're sharing custom made versions of the alphabet, here's mine (there are probably some errors, though):

VoiJte8.png

And here's the download for it.

Edited by jed1ndy
  • Upvote 4

"The Kingslayer"

z2r5DTz.png

Complete Okoto Alphabet + Okotoan Symbols | Infrared's Okoto Font | SDCC Semi-Live Coverage

—————————BZPGOT S1 KILLS—————————

Gi9juq3.png

Hooray! Now I can have a decent, unique, BIONICLE-related sig!

EDIT: If we're sharing custom made versions of the alphabet, here's mine (there are probably some errors, though):

VoiJte8.png

And here's the download for it.

Nice, I had no clue which font program would let me use images so I tried re-making your iteration on Fontstruct, some mistake due to the pixel nature of the program. It looks a lot similar to fonts made of symbols in the the game Journey.

Preview:

7z99azE.jpg

http://fontstruct.com/fontstructions/show/1169810

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."