Have you ever talked to your friends about Bionicle?

Lenny7092

Hi, guys!:) Since we may know a lot about our beloved Bionicle, I would like to ask this question: have you guys ever talked to other people, a friend or someone similar, about Bionicle? Since we are fans of Bionicle, I believe that we love it so much that we would like to talk about it to people that we like, like our friends and family, to make interesting conversations about Bionicle.

For me, I only talked to some of my friends from my schools a lot about it. I talked about the general history of Bionicle, the return of it in 2015, some characters, some of their forms and what they do. I made jokes about some of the characters and their forms. Plus, I tell my positive feelings about them, and made stories about pitting one of the characters, Ehlek, to fight three fictional electricity-related characters from other media, Hero Factory's Voltix, Marvel's Electro, and Mixels' Volectro. I thought these ideas would amaze my friends, and it worked. They are interested, liked, and found Bionicle awesome as much as we do. I always show my passion toward Bionicle that way.:) Check my Bionicle-related posts in this link: https://instagram.com/lennyt94 , as you scroll from bottom to top.

Anyway, you see what I mean? What about you guys? Have you talked to your our friends or similar about Bionicle?:)

I am not sure if this is allowed, but I am just asking if you guys talked to other people, who you like, about Bionicle.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Back during G1 I would discuss it with friends from school sometimes (for instance, to give them context about art and MOCs). They were rarely particularly interested in the complexities of the story—not even if they had been Bionicle fans themselves in the past.

Of course, discussing Bionicle with friends who are ALREADY Bionicle fans (such as the many friends I've met through BZP) is another beast entirely. Those discussions tend to bear much more fruit.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Being a band kid in high school, it's ok to talk about stuff like Pokemon, Digimon, Bionicle, and that sort of thing. I talked to my friends about it this year (my senior year) when I found out it was returning. Nobody really questioned it, they just didn't know much about it besides seeing it on the shelves in their younger years.

• Upvote 1

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

A few times but they're not particularly interested.

Same thing here. 

Yeah this is pretty much my situation.  My girlfriend thinks it's cool along with a couple of my friends, but none of them are really interested in the specifics.  I'll just send them pictures I take of characters in action poses and usually get a response along the lines of "looks cool dude"

I'm hoping to make an IRL bionicle friend one day.  This forum is the only place I have as an outlet for my opinions and emotions regarding bonkle and sometimes I wish I had someone to talk to  :(

• Upvote 1

:y::m_o::l::m_o:

I did have a close friend in middle school who was as passionate about Bionicle as I was. It was fun getting all excited together about upcoming sets, or showing off what new sets we were able to grab.

That was years ago though, and nowadays all my friends are impartial towards it or look down on it for being childish/nerdy. Here is the only place that I discuss it anymore.

• Upvote 2

IetTsFQ.png

A few times but they're not particularly interested.

Same thing here. 

Thats pretty much my situation. One of my friends had shone some basic interest by watching all the Movies in one day (I was pretty surprised by that). I've also got them to make some RPG characters for fun, and they relatively enjoyed that. Besides that, I rarely talk about Bionicle with my friends.

My best friend, who to this day is like a brother to me, bonded with me initially over our shared enjoyment of BIONICLE back in 2001. We avidly collected the sets for two years, and then he lost interest whereas I kept following the comics, movie, and other media. He was (and still is) fascinated by and collects Lego sets, so BIONICLE still comes up periodically in our discussions. Nothing like how we used to talk about it back in middle school, though!

I recently brought up that fact to my girlfriend (who is my best friend's sister-in-law), and even gave her a quick run-down of how I fell in love with the story and the sets back when I was 12. She found it interesting, so I'm not going to push it and say I obssessed over it for ten years after that! So, outside of family, those are the only people I ever really discussed and talked about BIONICLE with (outside of all you fellow BZPers, of course).

• Upvote 3
Bornicleban.gif

RIP BORNICLE

2004 - 2011

"There are a thousand ways I could bore you...and only 942 of them will put you to sleep. Permanently"

Most instances of conversation about Bionicle or Lego in general I partake in outside of BZP are initiated by the presence of a smartphone stand (pictures of which I should really post sometime) I've devised from Bionicle and Technic pieces, which is portable and useful enough that when I go out for a while (particularly to school) I often bring it along. In addition to its fundamental function of holding my phone up on a desk or table at a luxurious angle and permitting easier one-handed use, it also serves as a nice conversation piece, even if most of the conversations are rather brief. Typically along the lines of, 'Woah, is that made a phone case made of Lego?' Indeed. 'So did you build it yourself?' I did. 'That's really cool.' Thank you. Sometimes they last a little longer, segueing into the following, but not frequently.

Aside from that, it's like others have said, no one I know is particularly interested. I've never been lucky enough to meet in real life as avid a fan of Bionicle, or even Lego in general, as I myself. If it comes up in conversation with my friends, I tend to have gotten some brief fond reminiscing of an old set (more often by description than name), regret at the line's cancellation, and an 'oh, that's nice,' sort of response upon informing them it's been revived. Not necessarily all three, or in that order.

But I have been lucky enough never to meet someone who openly shows disdain for my passion. Which might just be because I don't mention it overly much, but I'd like to think it's also because Lego is slowly but surely gaining more popular recognition for being as awesome as we all know it is. :shrugs:

Edited by Sergei Rahkmaninoff

00_gaeas_reaper.jpgjrfightmeditatesmaller.gif00_shadowboxer.jpg

I once made a Bionicle-themed photoshop in photoshop class, and there was this guy who remembered Bionicle and spent some time talking with me about it.

Other times I mention it and people are like "yeah, okay." They're not really down on me for liking it, but they don't really have much of an interest in it themselves.

Friends and family, although it's never extremely in depth. My sister is a writer, and I do some myself, so sometimes I talk about aspects of the BIONICLE storyline I found interesting. My parents know some about it because I'd talk non-stop about it when I was younger, and a lot of BIONICLE gifts were courtesy of them. My friends have inevitably heard a lot about them, and they hold faint interest either out of politeness or just legitimate curiosity, which is nice.

A lot of people remember some of the older sets they had when they were younger, and since the return of BIONICLE I've heard a few people mention it in the sort of "did you hear about that?" way. It's a lot more common than I tend to imagine it.

• Upvote 2

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

I remember hanging out in primary school with one kid who's collection of bionicle was so massive it literally spilled out onto the floor when he opened the bag. I didn't see him again after I moved houses, but I can never forget how many different sets he had. I kind of got mocked for being a fan of Bionicle when I got into middle school since it was obviously uncool to be a fan of a kid's toyline when you're 14 years old. I did have one friend who knew about Bionicle and he said the plot was incredibly complicated. 

• Upvote 2

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

When I was in primary school, Lego and Bionicle were pretty much the reason why I had any friends in the first place. Practically every day we'd bring something we'd made into school, and quite often had Bionicle battles at the end of the playing field or on the climbing equipment. Whenever we went over to each-other's houses, we'd play with Lego, and sometimes trade pieces. Sadly, one particular friend from back then was quite crafty, and stole quite a few of my masks - including my first infected Hau Nuva. These have since been replace.

Through secondary school, Bionicle was something I kinda had to keep under wraps. I talked about it with the close friends I had and made, but it was also the source of quite some negative attention. As secondary school went on however, my confidence boosted a little bit and I got to be more open about my love of Lego and Bionicle - a couple of smaller MOCs even made their way into school with me towards years 9/10. Towards the end of secondary school, it was pretty widely known that I was into Lego - I did a project in which I developed and made a manual for a MOC, which was fairly well received. Heck, a friend even gave me a big bag of his collection towards the end of year 11! 

In sixth form college, I only really stuck around with a very select group of friends, and they all knew and appreciated my love of Lego. I sometimes brought MOCs in to show them, which they appreciated. I even bought and built sets while there, which people found quite interesting. Most thought it was pretty weird though.

Now I'm in work, in an office job. I have a ritual of sorts to have a different MOC or set on my desk with me every day. Nobody seems to mind, and the couple of comments from colleagues I have had were positive. In regards to friends now though... I only really see my friends in person once in a blue moon, and mostly speak to them online. Most aren't really interested in Lego now, which is a shame. So now, I only really have online friends to talk about Lego with.

• Upvote 3

Everyone I know who was into Bionicle when they were younger has grown out of it and lost interest. I rarely bring it up when I'm talking to my friends. They know that I'm a fan and don't particularly care about it. There were a few instances where I talked to some of them about the line in detail, but that rarely happens. I do talk about it with some of my family members from time to time though.

Hail Denmark

I get mixed reactions when I talk about bionicle. They might say, "This is very intricate", it might seem like they don't care, and sometimes the people I talk to already know about bionicle and I try to

talk to them about it.

Kopaka.png

stone_good.png

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I really only have one friend who I can really talk to openly and passionately about Bionicle. We seem to always drift into the topic of Bionicle, and it makes me feel great to be able to talk to someone about it. Where I live, it feels like we are the only two who actually know about it now.

But, I have a few other friends who know about the story now. I told them the main story in the briefest and strangest way possible, and it still was convoluted and odd to them. I think they had fun with it though. I know I did.

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y:

I've always been too afraid to tell my friends because of fear of being ridiculed for liking a children's line. 

Such is the reason why I have a different Instagram/Google/Tumblr account for my Bionicle stuff and real life things. 

• Upvote 2

bZpOwEr

Nope. 

And if I did, knowing the Instagram dwelling morons at my school, I'd get ridiculed to the end of the galaxy. 

Man teenagers are harsh.

^ This ^

Sometimes I wish I lived in the US or some place like that.

Ha ha, yes! Come to the land of freedom and opportunity where there are certainly no bullies in grade school, why would you even suggest such a thing? *grins nervously*

• Upvote 12

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Nope. 

And if I did, knowing the Instagram dwelling morons at my school, I'd get ridiculed to the end of the galaxy. 

Man teenagers are harsh.

^ This ^

Sometimes I wish I lived in the US or some place like that.

Ha ha, yes! Come to the land of freedom and opportunity where there are certainly no bullies in grade school, why would you even suggest such a thing? *grins nervously*

In my experience with school (I'm from the US btw), I'd only met one other person who was into Bionicle (in my grade anyway: Class of 2015 :D ). I have met people in younger grades that liked it and my cousin was into it for a time, but other than that I've been a loner about it until this year when I found out it was coming back. Nobody ever bullied me for Bionicle or anything, but you have to accept the fact that you are a nerd if you're into Bionicle. End of story. Even if you're a jock who plays (insert sport here), you're a nerd and it completely ok. There are many other things people can be into that are just as nerdy, if not nerdier. I'm not meaning this to sound offensive or rude in any way whatsoever!  :) But we have to accept the facts. I was in band in high school and I'm going to be in college band as well and here's the thing about band: band geeks are awesome, but it's nerdy kind of awesome. We could talk about whatever with each other! Heck, band seniors every year would be playing Pokemon during free time, among other things.

If you don't want to read that jumbled mess of a paragraph above, here's my main point:

We as Bionicle fans are nerds (which is far from a bad thing) but until we accept it, we feel this insecurity about being into it. Trust me: you're not alone :happydance:

*gets off soapbox*

• Upvote 1

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

My sister is a writer, and I do some myself, 

I'm a writer!I do Medieval Fantasy and Horror. What about you?

More fantasy than anything. Some are sort of sci-fi, more are fantasy based. I'm pretty lackluster in the writing department, though.

As someone who is still a teen, a lot of people in my grade don't seem to care. Earlier grades like middle school to freshmen year have that weird sort of "you have to be mature" since you're in between being a kid and a teenager, which kind of washes away towards later years when things are stressful and so nobody cares what you do in your free time. Some people do, but eh, that's their problem.

That's my two cents, anyway.

• Upvote 1

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

A little more often that you might think. I work in a video game office several times a week and designs and direction are molded by passions passed around the workplace. Plus, I have a fun time spreading the word of the Greg Beings (BAD JOKE I LOVE IT) to people interesting in what gets me so passionate about it. Its a great icebreaker and charm that works quite well on dates or meeting new people. 

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

My friends are always cool with me geeking out to them about Bionicle and showing them cool new LEGO sets in general. One of them was even interested in borrowing the movies from me and he watched them all and he's 4 years older than I am. Surprisingly, he liked TLR the most which disappointed me... His main reasons were he felt the animation and voice acting quality were better than the first 3. He was really fascinated in the G2's concept art, when he saw it on my computer (I have the one with the Toa standing before the ancient city as my desktop background).

• Upvote 1

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

Let's see.. more than half of my friends on other forums have been Bionicle fans for ages, and even people I never talked to and who were only in the same class as I was back when I was still at school know I still collect them to this very day.. let's just say I talk about it daily.

Onua.png

This sig isn't 100% correct, because I talk way too much.