Have you ever talked to your friends about Bionicle?

Lenny7092

A friend of mine from Girl Scouts was a huge fan. I've long since forgotten how we found out about each other's love of Bionicle, but I do remember having many Rhotuka-launcher battles with her, ha ha. My uncle used to talk to me about Bionicle, but he was more interested in the toys themselves than with the lore. These days the only people outside of BZP I talk to about it are my sisters and 55555.

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

My friend and I are both huge fans of the sets and story, and usually buy the waves of new sets together. A couple of other friends know about it, but they aren't fans so I don't discuss it with them very often.

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

I've long since fallen out of contact with all the people I used to know who were Bionicle fans, and most of them were more interested in the sets than the story. BZP is the only place I can really discuss it anymore. 

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Well, with me its that all my friends don't really care for Bionicle, in fact they think its kind of childish for a teenager like me to like a kids toy.

So I keep it under CLOSE wraps. One of my friends was into the story for a bit... but sadly also now thinks it's childish. Whatta ya gonna do      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Jakers_
  • Upvote 3

When I was a child I was utterly obsessed with Bionicle on a religious scale, and I would role-play and play-fight with other kids as I would be a toa and they be a pokemon or a superhero or something.

I used to hide it away like some bad rash, but when I draw it tends to be about either history (usually Roman/Byzantine-related) or about Bionicle; the latter making it so I have to explain it (just rude to shrug peeps off). People tend to find the Bionicle drawings more interesting as when I explain a history-based drawing I can sound like documentary, I don't white-wash history and I try to be thorough (depending on their interest level, if interest is low I'll just give the date, subject, and an extremely brief background, which is a shame), while Bionicle-themed drawings I can explain things that are fantastic and sound quite awesome to the imagination. I like to draw battles and soldiers and what-not, so conflicts and battles, like the Siege of Metru-Nui (Destiny War), Battle of Mangaia, and the Battle of Bara Magna, as well as combatants like Makuta, Skrall, Toa, etc, are displayed and I give backgrounds.

When questioned about the lore's source, I usually say something akin to: 'Oh, it's from a modern mythology from Denmark, and based on Polynesian/Pacific stuff mixed with sci-fi stuff'. From there, they usually are content and ask to see another doodle or go about there business, or are intrigued and ask that I explain more (if I hold their interest long enough, they'll want to know the name, and I pop it to them like a surprise: Bionicle). I'm not a very social person but I have manners so I won't turn people away and I will do what I can. This process actually lead to becoming closer to a friend of mine. I thought it would be okay to jump in as he likes Transformers, Pokemon, anime, and other things with explanations because he recognized some peeps (the ignika and hau can raise some eyebrows). He was surprised with how 'dark' Bionicle could be at times, decreeing that there was 'toy Bionicle' and 'book Bionicle'. Another friend of mine, who I knew back in elementary school but didn't talk to him until we met up again in my senior year of high school, loved history like myself, and when not discussing the Punic Wars or Killzone he found Bionicle to be pretty awesome (hope he is doing well in New Mexico).

After encounters like these, and my mentor and teacher having influence upon myself, I now am not afraid to bring Bionicle up as part of a discussion, as well as other interests and beliefs (doesn't mean I will bring it up to people I don't know, who does that?!).

TL;DR

Have I ever talked about Bionicle to a friend? Yes, but since elementary school it's been scarce outside of BZPower and my brother.

• Upvote 4

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Well, with me its that all my friends don't really care for Bionicle, in fact they think its kind of childish for a teenager like me to like a kids toy.

So I keep it under CLOSE wraps. One of my friends was into the story for a bit... but sadly also now thinks it's childish. Whatta ya gonna do      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I always justify myself by saying the age rating usually includes teens.

• Upvote 2

I swear there was just a thread like this...

But I like these threads.

All my close friends are aware of my interest in Bionicle, but they don't share the interest so (shrug). I guess Paleo and I do nerd out together sometimes. That's a lot of fun.

However, I'll be headed to college in a year, so I obviously don't spout this to my classmates. My reputation is tarnished as it is. That said, in terms of my friends, which is what this thread is aimed at, I've mentioned pretty much all I want to above.

Edited by Wazdakka

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

However, I'll be headed to college in a year, so I obviously don't spout this to my classmates. My reputation is tarnished as it is. That said, in terms of my friends, which is what this thread is aimed at, I've mentioned pretty much all I want to above.

Heading to college in a year...as in this is your senior year of HS? I just finished HS and I talked to a bit of my classmates about it. They didn't care and I'll likely find someone on campus to talk to about this and Harry Potter and Percy Jackson and all the other nerdy things that people like, but are afraid to talk about. I'm that guy that makes it cool to be a nerd  B-)

• Upvote 2

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

The last time I talked about Bionicle during school I was beat up and shoved inside of lockers. 

I only talk to my brother about it these days, and he's not even a fan. 

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I'm 19 and I'm very open to everyone about my love for bionicle! Every time I get in the car I make sure I have a set on me, and I show them off to my friends, because they usually ask something like: "woah, what is this thing?"

Even in the dating scene I have no problem telling the ladies I have a Bionicle obsession, they end up thinking it's cute lol.

I guess just being open about your passions, even something like Bionicle, is a good thing if you front it with confidence. What's better than being yourself and open about what you like and care about?

• Upvote 6

kalija.png

all this is temporary.

Follow me on Twitter! @sean52711

I'll follow back.

I'm 19 and I'm very open to everyone about my love for bionicle! Every time I get in the car I make sure I have a set on me, and I show them off to my friends, because they usually ask something like: "woah, what is this thing?"

Even in the dating scene I have no problem telling the ladies I have a Bionicle obsession, they end up thinking it's cute lol.

I guess just being open about your passions, even something like Bionicle, is a good thing if you front it with confidence. What's better than being yourself and open about what you like and care about?

Yeah, they eat up stuff like that. If you're comfortable enough to talk about your obsession, she'll likely telly you she's obsessed with Dr. Who or whatever show/thing she's obsessed with...and then you'll each have a good idea of what to get the other for birthdays, holidays, anniversary gifts, etc. :P

• Upvote 3

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

Or they just think it's weird?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the day, I didn't really hide that I liked BIONICLE, because I honestly didn't care what others thought about my liking it. Then it ended when I was halfway through High School, and I fell out of LEGO until G2 came out. Now I have a select number of close friends that I actually care what they think , and even if they do judge my collections/hobbies, they do not say anything, and that's perfectly fine. They are not into it, thus we do not discuss it, such as how I'm not into somethings they like, and we don't talk about them either. 

Edited by Guardian Legend

“We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives. And that's okay. That's good. You gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."

-The Doctor

• 1 month later...

I remember back in 3rd grade (2006 & 2007 or so), I was a fresh BIONICLE fan and was obsessed with it. I had a friend or two that loved BIONICLE and I would write these dreadfully awful stories about the characters and shared them with my friends. We pretended to be BIONICLE characters on the playground and tried to avoid getting beaned by dodgeballs while pretending to be Carapar.

Sometime after that, I had a neighbor that shared almost every interest I had and we used to play with MOCs all the time.

Nowadays, I still love BIONICLE and it's the first thing I think of when I'm asked what I want for Christmas or my birthday. Mom and my brother do their best to get me whatever BIONICLE I want (as long as it's reasonably priced and easily obtainable), but my dad hates those things. He's not a man of nostalgia, so I guess he doesn't understand. I don't have friends that like BIONICLE as much as I do, but I do have a friend that used to have a habit of stealing my phone and snooping through my contacts, texts, and pictures. She'd be amused whenever she found a BIONICLE picture in there. And surprisingly, I wasn't laughed into oblivion when she reported her findings to her friends.

mindeth the cobwebs

Rock on, man! It's better to live that way, because then you'll attract the right friends and romantic interests. (People with a respect for what you like, as well as a nerdy side. :D )

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

I always talk about it with my friemds, but half of my dunderhead friends don't even know the difference between BIONICLE and HF #BionicleFanProblems

(i'm so sorry, for that hastag)

Edited by Toa Imrukii

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

Most of the friends I made in primary school that I've kept in contact with know that I'm a long-time fan of Bionicle, so I'm never questioned by them regarding my interest in LEGO. They all had a bit of interest in Bionicle at some stage throughout Generation 1's active existance. However, they haven't had any interest in it for a long time and would only know that it's back as an active LEGO theme because of my Facebook activity. With that being said, they respect it as my main interest.  

On the other hand, some of my recent friends find it unusual and rather bizarre, so I don't talk to them about it. They did mention the common statement of "I use to have some of those" in one of our earlier conversations this year. That's a plus, I guess.

• Upvote 1

I only have one friend from childhood who's into LEGO the way I am, and even he doesn't keep up with G2 or remember G1 the way I do. Outside of him and other BZP members, it doesn't come up in conversation much.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

In elementary school I had a few friends who liked Bionicle, but most of them either grew out of it or I lost contact with them.

While I served my religious mission I recall I once told the entire Gen 1 story to another missionary for the fun off it (Just remember, although those guys in a white shirt, tie, and a black nametag want to share religion when they come to your door: back in their apartment they talk a lot about girls back home, their favorite movies back home, video games back home, and the stuff they did as kids. So it was pretty easy for me to throw Bionicle in while they would reminisce about their Pokemon/Sega/Halo fandom in their youth)

As a college student I don't bring it up much, but all my roommates can see my small dorm collection of Gen 2 figs...

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

Quite a few of my friends vaguely know that I am/used to be into Bionicle, and one or two of them know I'm on BZP, but I honestly don't talk about it all too much for the simple reason that people I know aren't all too interested. Quite a few of my primary school friends used to be into Bionicle, and we'd trade pieces like mad and combine our collections to make hideous super-MOCs, but they inevitable grew out of it one by one. These days I occasionally have a conversation that mainly involves someone I know saying something along the lines of "Oh, bionicrons, they were really cool." and me trying my best not to correct them :P

• Upvote 5

Kathok

I only really talked to one friend in primary (elementary) school about Bionicle and coming up with stories based on it. Secondary (high) school hasn't seen me talking to anyone about it for real - nobody seems to be a fan where I am :^( I did ask some people for their old parts because I need them for MOCing. Most people seem to remember it fuzzily but not fanboy about it? It's kind of frustrating because most of the people I know have rare or titan sets without even knowing the plot significance of said sets >:^(

I did try explaining it to a friend once, and she was just like " What the poop?" Apparently most people don't get a franchise where an island turns out to be some guy's face.

Edited by The Editor
  • Upvote 1

wake_up_sheeple.png

Quite a few of my friends vaguely know that I am/used to be into Bionicle, and one or two of them know I'm on BZP, but I honestly don't talk about it all too much for the simple reason that people I know aren't all too interested. Quite a few of my primary school friends used to be into Bionicle, and we'd trade pieces like mad and combine our collections to make hideous super-MOCs, but they inevitable grew out of it one by one. These days I occasionally have a conversation that mainly involves someone I know saying something along the lines of "Oh, bionicrons, they were really cool." and me trying my best not to correct them :P

I am very tempted to change my name to Bionicron.

• Upvote 1

I've mentioned it, all of my friends know I'm a fan, but I simply never bring it up because none of them are interested, frankly; I do have one friend in the year below me, though, who's also a Lego fan. Sadly, however, he has somewhat of a dislike for Bionicle, so we generally reserve our discussions to Doctor Who and the few System sets that I actually care about.

• Upvote 1

VBWj75sh.png

I've talked about it with plenty of people, most of whom aren't really into it, but are willing to listen. I've actually introduced the Matoran language to more than a few people, although most of them don't know it comes from BIONICLE; they just think it's a cool code I found online. If they ask further, though, I tell them. 

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351