Should future Masters to carry launchers?

Nescent

Launchers were a staple of Generation 1; nearly all Toa-sized sets came with them from 2004 onward. Would you like for this trend to continue in Gen 2? If so, would you like a new design, or the same type that came with the Protectors?

IetTsFQ.png

Nyeeeeeeh.

I would prefer if ranged weapons were done similarly to Vakama from 2004, where not all of the characters have them.

For example, give Lewa and Onua ranged weapons, and give the others melee ones. Makes it more interesting that way. Either that, or different characters could have different types of launchers like in 2008.

• Upvote 5

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

While I certainly wouldn't be opposed to larger sets having launchers on occasion (like Skull Warrior), I think the current sets mostly have a good thing going. Smaller sets get launchers as a play feature, while sets large enough to accommodate gearboxes or similar functions opt for those instead.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I'd love to see them show up, the Toa blasters were an amazing aspect of Gen1. And not for just the Toa but for entire wave. Yes, yes, I'm aware that this is one of the most unpopular opinions that I hold (which is really saying something), but I think that an entire wave armed with at least two different blaster designs is a great way to go. In a perfect world we would get a unique blaster for each Toa (not necessarily unique in function, just having different designs for each one), but I would gladly take all clone blasters over none. 

Of course, this is just how I see it. 

Edited by The Irrational Rock

bZpOwEr

I'd be fine with more launchers as long as they don't fire studs again.

Seriously what were they thinking with that.

That they're cheap, plentiful, and perhaps most importantly, not totally useless without the launcher?

*cough* Kanoka *cough* Rhotuka *cough* squid ammo *cough* Thornax *cough* *cough* *cough*

• Upvote 6

Out of all of the launchers, I have to say I liked Kanoka the best.

I'd be fine with more launchers as long as they don't fire studs again.

Seriously what were they thinking with that.

That they're cheap, plentiful, and perhaps most importantly, not totally useless without the launcher?

*cough* Kanoka *cough* Rhotuka *cough* squid ammo *cough* Thornax *cough* *cough* *cough*

Your opinion has been noted and dutifully ignored.  =P  Especially after I started the BMPRPG, I absolutely fell in love with Kanoka.  They were collectible, you could get stuff off the website with the codes, they had lots of range... plus the three-digit code idea, with each disk having its own unique powers.  I'd love to see something like that show up in Gen2.

Nyeeeeeeh.

I would prefer if ranged weapons were done similarly to Vakama from 2004, where not all of the characters have them.

For example, give Lewa and Onua ranged weapons, and give the others melee ones. Makes it more interesting that way. Either that, or different characters could have different types of launchers like in 2008.

The nice thing about the disk launchers is because they were simple, they were easy to mod (unlike the Cordak, Zamor, or Midak blasters).  I've made ones with laser sights, used the Vahki versions for sniper rifles... my favorite was where I fit a Nuhvok shield underneath the disk holder, so it looked like you had a double-barreled shotgun strapped to the launcher =P  (Admittedly, it didn't fire, but it looked flippin' awesome)

I like what they did with the stud guns, how each Protector had a different style of them.  The PoS has his strapped to a spear, the PoJ has a compound bow, and of course there's the PoE.

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

Depends. I want something that something that looks cool, but not cumbersome. 

Oh, and they should have collectible ammo. 

• Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I'd really rather not; it would mean far less weapon diversity than we currently have. Sure, the current launchers allow for more diversity than, say, the Cordak Blasters, or Nynrah Ghost Blasters, or even the Zamor sphere launchers, but i still feel like it would be an unnecessary limitation.

Plus, I tend to prefer the Toa with more traditional weapons.

I have to agree with my brother that the current system of having shooters mostly for the smaller sets makes a lot of sense. That way the smaller sets have a special function of their own despite not having gearboxes or dual-function weapons. Also, shooters or projectiles make a lot of sense for smaller characters who might not be able to put up as much of a fight in melee combat as the Toa — the disks that came with the 2001 and 2004 Matoran are both good G1 examples.

I wouldn't be opposed to occasional shooters in Toa sets, like on Skull Warrior. Or even on larger "titan" sets, kind of like Nidhiki and Krekka. But I don't know if I'd want them to become as widespread as launchers were from 2006 onward, because then they wouldn't feel as special for the sets that have them.

As for what TYPES of shooters might be in future sets, that's a hard thing to decide as well! LEGO seems to be better at coming up with new launcher ideas than I am — they've just been one surprise after another lately! I would want both the launchers themselves and the ammo to stay fairly compact, though, so it's easy to build them into different types of weapons or different parts of a model's body, or even use them in different themes besides Bionicle. The new six-shooter is probably my favorite Bionicle launcher to date since the shooter and ammo alike are small, simple, inexpensive, and customizable. So I'm optimistic that future launcher designs from LEGO will be more practical and less specialized than the Bionicle launchers and ammo from 2007 onward.

Some recent Legends of Chima and Ninjago sets have included a creative new disk shooter that shoots 2x2 round tiles. I haven't gotten to try one out yet, but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing a launcher kind of like that in Bionicle. The disks could even be printed with creative designs just like in 2001 or 2004, but they'd be a lot more compact! Ideally, though, it'd probably be best to design a new version of the launcher that uses Technic connections, since securely locking a System one in place on a Technic model might take a lot of pieces, which would sort of negate the advantage of this launcher being as small as it is.

The single stud shooter was used in last year's Hero Factory sets, and I quite liked it at the time. They're easy to integrate with CCBS as well! But the six-shooter is small and simple enough that I can't think of a lot of situations in Bionicle where it'd be worthwhile to use the standard one. It's not like any G2 sets so far have been too small for the six-shooter, other than the Hero Pack. Maybe the regular shooter might be suitable for small creatures like the Skull Spiders. On that note, how crazy would a Skull Spider with a shooter in its tail be? :P

Anyway, that's enough rambling from me. Long story short, I wouldn't be opposed to launchers for larger figures, but I think they're generally a better fit for smaller figures.

• Upvote 2

I much prefer melee weapons for my Toa. Personally I find the launchers a huge distraction from the set figure itself, which is something I like paying attention to near the end of the build. 

Although right at the moment it is really hard to imagine the 2016 Toa designs period - I don't envy the set designers task at Lego.  

• Upvote 1

I don't think launchers for the Toa should return. I kind of liked them as a kid (yet I rarely even used them), but looking back on them, they're just gimmicks. I don't use the stud launchers at all so I'm pretty biased against having them in general. They're a great concept, but I never care much for them. If the toa should get a launcher, however, I would agree that the Vakama or Skull Warrior principle be applied: One toa gets a ranged weapon, but the rest have swords & stuff.

• Upvote 1

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

For at least the Toa, I'd like them to stick with more primitive weapons. Swords, spears, axes, etc. As others have mentioned, an actual, functional crossbow or bow and arrow would be cool. I just don't want any singular choice of weaponry or blaster becoming too much of a trend like did in the later years of both Bionicle and Hero Factory. It's easier to maintain diversity by keeping them all melee fighters. They've got their elements for ranged combat anyway.

Edited by IXRollOutIX
  • Upvote 3

I wasn't a fan of the launchers, and I feel later G1 BIONICLE didn't handle them well. Many were giant and sort of useless (like Cordak Blasters) or were large rehashes of a zamor sphere launcher (Midak). Usually blasters take away from the weapon of the Toa as well, which I never took too keenly too. That's not to say a better sort of blaster could work, but I prefer the going system.

Blasters work better with smaller sets, in my opinion. Kanoka and Rhotuka worked well on the Matoran/Rahaga respectively, as do the new blasters on the Protectors.

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

I would like to see the smaller sets continue to include launchers, while the larger sets have maybe 0-2 per wave. I also don't mind if the stud launcher is reused, as long as they continue to be built in creative ways, like each of the Protectors, and Warrior to a lesser extent.

I don't use the stud launchers at all so I'm pretty biased against having them in general.

Same here. I've only fired the stud launchers a couple times, just to try them out. I didn't use them much on the old sets either, but I try to keep an open mind towards them since all of my brothers (who were not into Bionicle at all) found the launchers to be a lot of fun - even the Cordak Blaster. So they seem to me like a good way to get people interested in the sets, even if they are gimmicky.

That only reaffirms my opinion that they should be kept to the smaller sets, since those are cheaper and more likely to be bought by casual consumers, the kind of buyers that might enjoy gimmicky play features the most.

Why not give one character an actual crossbow? They've done small System ones in Castle sets, so why not a Techinc one for large figures?

Can't you imagine Lewa or Kopaka with one?

I was thinking about that too, when I posted the topic. A crossbow would be awesome, although I doubt it would be as versatile as the stud launcher.

IetTsFQ.png

I'd rather they stray away from gimmicky launchers.

There were quite a few launchers in G1 that ranged from finicky (Nyrah blasters, Cordak blasters) to downright awful (Those squid launchers). I'd say they could just make a few different kinds of launchers and NOT make them the main focus for each set of characters.  

Why not give one character an actual crossbow? They've done small System ones in Castle sets, so why not a Techinc one for large figures?

I was thinking about that too, when I posted the topic. A crossbow would be awesome, although I doubt it would be as versatile as the stud launcher.

Who cares if it's versatile or not? :P So long as it's cool and performs well, who would complain? They could even make it so the main launching mechanism could be carried over to System sets.

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I think the six-shot stud blaster is, objectively, a lot better set-wise than any of Generation 1's blasters. They're small, easy to fit onto almost any kind of weapon, and fun to build (my only irk being the stuck-forever construction, but it also reminds me of the nostalgia of the original Toa's stuck-forever brain stalks). Plus, they can be used on any character without disrupting the color scheme because the ammo comes in so many colors. A lot of BIONICLE's later launchers suffered from this problem, with vibrant red Cordak missiles and green Nynrah bullets.

As for who gets the weapons, smaller sets and not larger ones having launchers makes sense on so many levels. Story-wise, the smaller sets are usually weaker and would need long-range weapons to defend themselves, while larger characters, like Toa, usually have innate powers. Set-wise, the smaller sets need launchers as a gimmick, as opposed to larger sets that can rely on the building experience alone. I don't think the Masters need projectile launchers because they're both powerful in-story and have sufficiently engaging builds. Plus, I prefer the larger sets having creative secondary uses for their tools (like the Nuva and Metru) than projectiles. I, for one, don't really think Vakama Metru's disk launcher was necessary, except to give us a Toa Disk. (Plus, it made posing him difficult because the gear function linked his unevenly-weighed arms together.)

Edited by Master Inika
  • Upvote 6

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I think the six-shot stud blaster is, objectively, a lot better set-wise than any of Generation 1's blasters. They're small, easy to fit onto almost any kind of weapon, and fun to build (my only irk being the stuck-forever construction, but it also reminds me of the nostalgia of the original Toa's stuck-forever brain stalks). Plus, they can be used on any character without disrupting the color scheme because the ammo comes in so many colors. A lot of BIONICLE's later launchers suffered from this problem, with vibrant red Cordak missiles and green Nynrah bullets.

As for who gets the weapons, smaller sets and not larger ones having launchers makes sense on so many levels. Story-wise, the smaller sets are usually weaker and would need long-range weapons to defend themselves, while larger characters, like Toa, usually have innate powers. Set-wise, the smaller sets need launchers as a gimmick, as opposed to larger sets that can rely on the building experience alone. I don't think the Masters need projectile launchers because they're both powerful in-story and have sufficiently engaging builds. Plus, I prefer the larger sets having creative secondary uses for their tools (like the Nuva and Metru) than projectiles. I, for one, don't really think Vakama Metru's disk launcher was necessary, except to give us a Toa Disk. (Plus, it made posing him difficult because the gear function linked his unevenly-weighed arms together.)

This

I really enjoy the dual functionality of the weapons which is something I was extremely sad to see die after 2004. It's one thing if Pohatu had a stud launcher as his secondary weapon while he is in adrenaline mode (vs that "dagger" of his), but to sacrifice dual functionality like flight, skis, etc. is a crime as those dual functioning weapons (as well as the gear functions) became trademarks of Bionicle (which is why such features are present in the first year of the reboot).

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

No. The Masters should not carry blasters like the latter years of G1. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that no medium/large wave should have blasters as a wave-wide thing. I do like the idea of a few individuals having them, Vakama Metru's disk launcher, for all its problems, gave him a very distinctive look. Skull Warrior (I think) stands out as well because of his crossbow/sword weapons. It should be an accent, and addition to the design, not a unifying feature or a gimmick.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Either that or a normal bow. I made one for PoJ, it actually works pretty well and when pulled back all the way, fires further than a stud launcher.

• Upvote 1

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

As for Titan-level sets having launchers, that's more of a gray area. It can be a good addition if it's not the predominant feature, but stud shooters seem to be designed to be incorporated unobtrusively into any kind of model.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Oh please no, as far as I'm concerned that was one of main flaws of G1 in it's later years, the designers ended up focusing way too much on blasters then actually coming up with creative new swords and spears and other types of weapons. 

Are you talking about new weapon molds, or making unique weapons from multiple pieces? I'd prefer launchers over creative disasters like Lewa's "axes", but having half the team armed with only a huge blaster (2008) isn't ideal either.

Oh please no, as far as I'm concerned that was one of main flaws of G1 in it's later years, the designers ended up focusing way too much on blasters then actually coming up with creative new swords and spears and other types of weapons. 

Are you talking about new weapon molds, or making unique weapons from multiple pieces? I'd prefer launchers over creative disasters like Lewa's "axes", but having half the team armed with only a huge blaster (2008) isn't ideal either.

I don't see any issues with weapons made from multiple pieces (although I do prefer weapons that are one mold), and I'm sorta talking about both as the weapons that use multiple pieces are often made of new molds. 

It's time to move on.

Seriously, why would you make a blaster that shoots particles the size of your head?

You know, I've actually never thought of it like that before. Those Kanoka were huge!

Although I did like that Zamor spheres were powerful enough to knock down a figure.

IetTsFQ.png

I'd prefer no launchers. Or if there are, maybe only a few have them for story purposes. I rather it stick to elements and melee weapons rather than shooting. But I understand adding a laucher of some sort increases the playability value/function from a set perspective.

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I feel like with this reboot lego is looking back at their old design philosophy and have decided to not fall into the same trappings as before: With ten years worth of sets to look back on they can easily pull inspiration from the wellspring while also looking forward with new features. I think when they introducing launcher after launcher, it was because it was a cheap an easy way to incorporate a play function into their sets that didn't take a lot of thought to design.

With the 2015 sets, they obviously want to pack their sets with as many features as possible while simultaneously keeping everything unique, even with the villains. As much as I love the bohrok and rahkshi, they were all clone builds, and I think lego really wants to avoid that: it's 2015, and they can't justify selling $20 sets that are all the exact same build as each other, with different colors. 

Anyway what I'm trying to get at is that I definitely think launchers of some kind should return to the series, however I think they should be sparse, or unique to a few characters similarly to how vakama had his own unique launcher as his toa tool (that also had a dual function, wow incredible). Skull warrior is a cool example of this and although I'm not a fan aesthetically of the skull army's designs I do really like how they've incorporated a launcher as his primary function.

launchers are cool imo. 

Edit: but yeah i think masters can have launchers just not.. all of them. And only if they have multiple functions and stuff as well. 

Edited by LiliGD
  • Upvote 1

8fGh8H3.png

I'm not opposed to launchers in future sets; I'm just indifferent, I guess. While it would be nice to get some new launcher systems, I'd rather that system be put into a set that doesn't have many other play features.

Melee weapon + launcher + gear function = too much for me. While Skull Warrior sort of pulls it off, I'd rather the launchers be placed in sets with no gimmicks (the gimmick for the Toa being the gear function).

• Upvote 1

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

Personally i think the launchers are a small contribution to why some fans might have lost interest in the G1 Bionicle line after having nearly every sets since 2005 have a launcher in some form or another (yes 2005 rhotuka were launchers too although never useful for accurate aiming) and to fans it got boring to see another form of launcher every year.

Launchers are good for the small sets they should not become too much of a common staple in the toa and other bigger sets. 

Edited by ---Kopaka Nuva---

qs3135.jpg

Personally i think the launchers are a small contibution to why some fans might have lost interest in the G1 Bionicle line after having nearly every sets since 2005 have a launcher in some form or another (yes 2005 rhotuka were launchers too although never useful for accurate aiming) and to fans it got boring to see another form of launcher every year.

Launchers are good for the small sets they should not become too much of a common staple in the toa and other bigger sets.

Your assumption that launchers contributed to the theme's decline operates on the assumption that the same sets, sans launchers, would have sold better—that doesn't seem to make a lot of logical sense to me. Keep in mind that older fans (who could well have gotten tired of launchers over time) did not make up the majority of the theme's audience, and it was the theme's inability to create new fans that did it in.

Launchers look way too gimicky with giant red buttons and ammo. I like the more asthetic weapons, like melee or the stud shooter. They're more practical and proportional for the figures. Seriously, why would you make a blaster that shoots particles the size of your head?

Big yellow gears are gimmicky as well.

Launchers look way too gimicky with giant red buttons and ammo. I like the more asthetic weapons, like melee or the stud shooter. They're more practical and proportional for the figures. Seriously, why would you make a blaster that shoots particles the size of your head?

Big yellow gears are gimmicky as well.

I mean, yes, in the sense that they are used to highlight a gimmick. But considering that gimmick (gear functions) has proven to allow for more diversity in terms of builds than launchers typically do, the former seems more appealing than the latter.

• Upvote 2

Personally, I'm not a big fan of launcher weapons. They worked on the protectors well, as the protectors were smaller sets with fewer functions. 

The gear function just works better on the Toa sets than a launcher. They also allow for more diverse and complicated builds, while launchers could just be seen as a cheap gimmick. 

Edited by Craig B
  • Upvote 1

I know this wasn't what you meant, but I suddenly got this picture of three Toa manning a huge brick-built Technic six-shooter cannon. 

YES. 

• Upvote 1

No thank you. Only occasionally, like Skull Warrior but not on all of them, only if it suites the design. It gets way too gimmicky if every wave of canister sets have to have launchers. Leaving them for an occasional thing or mainly for small Protector-sized sets is fine though. 

• Upvote 3

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)