What Should Be The Next Toa Team?

If Generation 2 of Bionicle runs for a few more years, we will inevitably see another team of six elementally powered heroes guide us through another year. I mean, we only tagged along with the Toa Mata/Nuva for three years until we were thrown back one thousand years with the will-be Turaga in G1. But my question is: who's going to be in this Toa team?

Idea #1: The Protectors 

I had a few ideas that rushed to my head when this topic came to mind and the first one was the Protectors. From an attachment and engagement standpoint, it would make the most sense as the Protectors have already been named and their characters have developed. Whether their story will be prequel-driven or not is up to you, the reader.

Idea #2: Bingzak and Company

So, we know about the character of Bingzak and that he will be some sort of lead for one of the books... and that's about it. Again, similar to G1, we might end up following a team of powered-up characters that we are familiar with and have grown an attachment to. Granted, we still have five or so more characters to develop, but just Bingzak would be fine, if not better. The story for the year could follow Toa Bingzak and five strangers, with the trials and tribulations bringing the six together. That could be the year that builds on the virtue of Unity.

Idea #3: One Of The Toa Okoto Leading A New Team

This one is pretty self-explanatory. Insert some tragic event that separates one Toa (I'll just use Kopaka as a placeholder) from the rest of his beloved team and we can have the Lesovikk-centric story we never had (I know about Dreams of Destruction, hold your Rahi). Kopaka would be in shambles after this tragedy, but would have to resurface to father a new team of Toa. Not only would we experience a dark twist in the story, we would watch Kopaka go through an arc of recovering from grief and learning how to guide and support people in lieu of shutting them out. If you ask me, this would be my preferred option.

But those were just my suggestions. Tell me what you think!

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

I have a feeling that G2 will stay with the six Toa we have already, for story simplicity.

I don't think that we'll have Protectors turning into Toa because Protectors already fill the role of "elder". I can't really see Toa being the same species as villagers anyway, because of the thing about Toa being referred to as "timeless heroes", while the villagers age and presumably die.

Where there may be space to introduce a new Toa team, is if they decide to do a flashback year, similar to in 2004. (Was 2004 successful, sales-wise?) It could focus on the Ancient City when it was inhabited, and possibly explain the origins of the Toa-sized beings that Kulta is now resurrecting. Maybe it could be far enough in the past to explore the origins of the one-element-per-mask rule, and the Past Toa team could maybe feature elements no longer present on modern Okoto.

• Upvote 1
:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

I don't think there will be new toa teams in the future of the story, I think lego might take the route they did with ninjago/HF (maybe Chima as well I'm not sure) where they just expand the current cast of characters instead of replacing them. I think we could possibly see Vakama and co appear in a flash-back year, possibly in the form of protectors from thousands of years ago who have long since died. 

It's time to move on.

Yep Gen 2 has a huge possibility that the Toa we have now will the Toa we have for the rest of the line theirs also a possibility of gasp a Toa of light and that's it.

but if you want me to chose of those possibility i choose the second idea.

tZa6I5y.jpg?1

I vote for option 4: Stick with the same team WITHOUT replacing them. The time-skips and frequent replacement of the main cast was a big part of what made the classic Bionicle story hard to follow for old fans or catch up on for new fans. The vast majority of franchises establish a main cast early and stick with them, potentially adding members but never replacing the entire team. There's no reason Bionicle couldn't or shouldn't do the same.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

So basically what HF did?

What Hero Factory did, what Ninjago did, what Harry Potter did, what Animorphs did, what Sonic the Hedgehog did... it's actually MORE traditional for a franchise to continue following a set cast of main characters over the length of its run than to constantly replace its cast. There are obviously exceptions (such as stories that follow multiple generations of characters like Star Wars, or stories that follow a single main character but change up the side characters regularly like Indiana Jones, or "anthology" stories that are constantly rebooting their core concept with a new cast like Kamen Rider). But for the most part, a well-told story should not be expected to discard its entire main cast every few years just to "keep things fresh".

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

So basically what HF did?

Sort of, although Hero Factory didn't quite pull it off the most effectively. It's very difficult for a story to maintain a focus on more than seven main characters, hence why the Breakout TV special had to omit some of the heroes and subsequent story arcs and waves of sets omitted Nex and Stringer.

A seventh Toa main character could be a great addition to the story, and perhaps occasionally other new Toa as supporting characters. But more than seven main characters might not be sustainable.

Sticking with the same main cast for as long as possible would be ideal, in my opinion. If we ever do get a new team, option 3 could be an interesting direction to take, sort of like the third year of Knights' Kingdom II... but then again, I started to lose interest in Knights' Kingdom II that year specifically because I didn't have any emotional connection to the new characters.

• Upvote 1

I definitely think these shouldn't be the only toa in the Okoto universe; the team should be separated in half on a journey and each half meets 3 new toa of other elements (like gravity, magnetism, etc.) and then battle evil forces as their own new cross teams until they find each other  and combine all of their powers to help make the 7th toa prophecy come true to raise the hero that will face Makuta!

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

I don't mind who we get as long as it's not a G1 Toa. Also I look forward to seeing the shift from Air to Jungle giving us sets of Toa of the Green for the very first time!

Also I love the idea of one Toa separating from the others and forming a new team!

• Upvote 1

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Personally, I think that a lot of the speculation that comes up around G2, his included, is minor variations on 'Do you think G2 will do X' or 'How should G2 do X' as if the new creative team has to work off G1's playbook to be accepted. This isn't G1. Throw your preconceived notions of BIONICLE out the window, and judge the new generation on its own. I'd love to see a speculation topic that goes with things like 'why haven't we seen the animals of Okoto and where did they go?' or 'What do you think the MoUP's powers are?'. 'Where do you think Makuta is?' can be another one.

As for the OP. I agree that there shouldn't be any more Toa introduced. Instead, let's have more Protector stories, like MNOLG was for the matoran. I've said this before, but a line with a round of animal mounts for villagers, protectors or Toa would be right up my alley. By which I mean I'd buy every one of them. There's nothing stopping the 'eventh Toa' arc people think is so inevitable being the story of the Protectors finding and calling the Seventh Toa to rescue the Masters, for example.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Personally, I think that a lot of the speculation that comes up around G2, his included, is minor variations on 'Do you think G2 will do X' or 'How should G2 do X' as if the new creative team has to work off G1's playbook to be accepted. This isn't G1. Throw your preconceived notions of BIONICLE out the window, and judge the new generation on its own. I'd love to see a speculation topic that goes with things like 'why haven't we seen the animals of Okoto and where did they go?' or 'What do you think the MoUP's powers are?'. 'Where do you think Makuta is?' can be another one.

As for the OP. I agree that there shouldn't be any more Toa introduced. Instead, let's have more Protector stories, like MNOLG was for the matoran. I've said this before, but a line with a round of animal mounts for villagers, protectors or Toa would be right up my alley. By which I mean I'd buy every one of them. There's nothing stopping the 'eventh Toa' arc people think is so inevitable being the story of the Protectors finding and calling the Seventh Toa to rescue the Masters, for example.

Fair point. I 100% agree with you when you say that you want to see some more stories based around the little people of Okoto who aren't fighting reanimated skeletal warriors or gigantic spiders. This topic was mainly made out of my concern for the sets. I'm not too keen on seeing a slight variation of the Toa every year like it was for Hero Factory.

I guess this topic will become a tad more relevant if G2 runs for at least a few more years. I like Okoto and the current characters and all, but my desire for a new location and new characters will always come up. It's not me yearning to return to G1, it's just a very effective gimmick that benefits the line on a story standpoint. Perhaps even sales.

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

Several topics about the animals have happened. I made one. :P

The MoUP's powers feel pretty obvious - it was made from all six elements. Therefore, it has the powers of all six elements and their combinations, and some mental powers. 

And I thought it was confirmed that Makuta was in the Ancient City somewhere. 

I'm all for new stories and ideas, but I would love to see the Inika/Mahri with the new building system.

LEGO probably won't do this either, but I would like some random characters who don't have a team, like Maxilos or Hydraxon or Brutaka. (I don't want those specific characters, I just want LEGO to bring back the 'Warrior' class.)

Edited by Bonkle

I like this idea a lot, actually, even though I believe it to be rather unlikely that Lego would select this path above others. The current line is meant to last three years, I think; if it were to be successful enough to warrant going further, keeping one Toa on as the leader/mentor of a new Toa team would be rather neat.

While that Toa being Kopaka does sound interesting, I do find it more likely that they would use Tahu instead. But you never know.

• Upvote 1

I like this idea a lot, actually, even though I believe it to be rather unlikely that Lego would select this path above others. The current line is meant to last three years, I think; if it were to be successful enough to warrant going further, keeping one Toa on as the leader/mentor of a new Toa team would be rather neat.

While that Toa being Kopaka does sound interesting, I do find it more likely that they would use Tahu instead. But you never know.

I'd vote for Kopaka, Onua, or Gali to lead/mentor the new team...unless of course the Toa grow as characters and Tahu actually becomes less of a jerk (fat chance)...

• Upvote 1

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

I'd vote for Kopaka, Onua, or Gali to lead/mentor the new team...unless of course the Toa grow as characters and Tahu actually becomes less of a jerk (fat chance)...

I'd vote for Onua, He certainly knows how to "grab" attention.

• Upvote 4

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Plot twist (with some music to set the mood): The team's unity is shattered and the Toa go their separate ways. Saddened by this event, the children of the Protectors run off with their respective Toa and become their apprentices. Years later, a villain more powerful than ever before attempts to take over/destroy Okoto, forcing the Toa to return. In an epic showdown, the Toa manage to mend their bond at the last minute, but their newfound unity isn't enough -- none of the Toa make it out alive. The saddened islanders realize that the Prophecy of Heroes never actually said that the Toa themselves would defeat this great evil. The apprentices, determined to keep the Toa's legacy alive, fight in their stead, and vanquish the villain once and for all. In honor of the fallen heroes, the Protectors bestow the title of Toa on the six new heroes, and eventually their successors; the beginnings of an unbroken line who would protect Okoto for centuries to come.

Das ende.

*is kicked out for upsetting the kiddies*

• Upvote 2

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

Plot twist (with some music to set the mood): The team's unity is shattered and the Toa go their separate ways. Saddened by this event, the children of the Protectors run off with their respective Toa and become their apprentices. Years later, a villain more powerful than ever before attempts to take over/destroy Okoto, forcing the Toa to return. In an epic showdown, the Toa manage to mend their bond at the last minute, but their newfound unity isn't enough -- none of the Toa make it out alive. The saddened islanders realize that the Prophecy of Heroes never actually said that the Toa themselves would defeat this great evil. The apprentices, determined to keep the Toa's legacy alive, fight in their stead, and vanquish the villain once and for all. In honor of the fallen heroes, the Protectors bestow the title of Toa on the six new heroes, and eventually their successors; the beginnings of an unbroken line who would protect Okoto for centuries to come.

Das ende.

*is kicked out for upsetting the kiddies*

I actually don't mind this as a possibility (nice music too btw). I think it would be a bold turn in the story, but I think it would be a good way to change the focus of the story to a new group of heroes, maybe they are some other returning team of toa, but I wouldn't mind a brand new team either. 

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands: