What Was the Last Album You Listened to?

Bambi

• 2 weeks later...

V: Hävitetty by Moonsorrow.

My love for this band only continues to grow. It's a folk/progressive/black metal album, made up of two 30-ish minute tracks, with each song going through many moods and movements. The atmosphere is incredible, as is the musicianship and songwriting. But that's nothing new for Moonsorrow. Can't wait for the new album next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3isGs5se-Z8

Edited by Emilie Autumn

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

"Defektor" by Greg Camp. This is a solo-album by the guitarist and songwriter from the Smash Mouth band, from around 2009. It's Indie-Acoustic, and Greg Camp shows that he can do a little of everything, and do it well. I listen through this like once per year, and every time I remember how much I love it.

"The Invisible Conquest" by Liquid Stranger. I mentioned this album earlier - it's a variety of ethnic-sounding Dub, and at this point I've listened to it probably a couple dozen times. Definitely one of my favorite albums now.

"The Intergalactic Slapstick" also by Liquid Stranger. I don't like this one nearly as much as The Invisible Conquest; it's generally a lot rowdier, and doesn't flow all that well, especially compared to The Invisible Conquest. Still, it's got some of my favorite tracks from Liquid Stranger, but I usually prefer to pick a few songs rather than listen through the album from beginning to end.

Edited by Nescent

IetTsFQ.png

Sgùrr by Thy Catafalque.

Wow, what an album. Heard good things about it, and saw it called avant-garde progressive black metal, which are all things I love, but wasn't quite prepared for this. It didn't even really strike me as avant-garde, and there's very little black metal. For the most part it's just amazingly good progressive metal, although there are a couple points where it does venture towards Ihsahn style avant-garde/black metal territory.

But yeah, I really loved this album. The riffs on this thing are bloody phenomenal, as is the rest of the instrumentation and songwriting. Great uses of electronics too, and a really cool atmosphere throughout the whole thing. It will definitely have a spot on my albums of the year list.

Edited by Emilie Autumn

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

• 2 weeks later...

got nostalgic for Cryoshell for some reason and gave their album a listen. it was better than I remembered it. "Creeping in My Soul" is still a bad song that's basically a rewrite of "Bring Me to Life" by Evanesence - and "No More Words" edges dangerously close to being "My Immortal", for that matter - but overall it's actually pretty solid catchy gothic hard rock more in the vein of later Lacuna Coil. I was surprised by how "heavy" (in a relative sense) it got at times.

nothing new and certainly nothing spectacular, but it's hard to deny how enjoyable songs like "Bye Bye Babylon" and "Come to My Heaven" can be if you're in the right mood.

also have to highlight the production and mix courtesy of Jacob Hansen, who has also produced and/or mixed albums by Amaranthe, Blood Stain Child, The Unguided, Mercenary, Volbeat, Engel, Xerath, Aborted, Persefone, and others. his stuff always sounds great and this was no exception.

Edited by Scythey

Kassia, by VocaMe

Songs from this definitely be used in a video game soundtrack, especially the more haunting ones.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Dust And Dreams by Camel

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

I went down the weird music rabbithole again and ended up listening to some vaporwave and retro music. Com Truise came up eventually, so I listened to In Decay a few times. This is one my favorite tracks of his: 

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV | Volume 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness by Coheed & Cambria

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

• 2 weeks later...

ATGCLVLSSCAP by Ulver. It's only January, but I already see this album being high on my best of the year list.

Ulver are doing their usual thing of always trying new things, and this time we have a really atmospheric experimental rock album, with some incredible soundscapes. The material on this album actually comes from the improvisation they've done in their live shows over the past couple of years, just refined a little, which is really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ggnFgHbAsQ

Edited by Emilie Autumn

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

last album I fully listened to was Megadeth's new "Dystopia". Enjoying everything but the lyrics.

Currently listening through Van Der Graaf Generator's "H To He, Who Am The Only One".

Edited by The Xinlo Of This Story

E8c8QpP.jpg

Róka Hasa Rádió by Thy Catafalque.

Having been blown away by Thy Catafalque's album from last year, Sgùrr, I thought it was time to check out some earlier material, which turned out to be just as fantastic as Sgùrr, and fairly different too. It's still progressive/avant-garde metal with incredible compositions, but there's a lot of influence from Hungarian folk music here, as well as a slightly larger use of electronics. There's also less focus on riffs, and more on building an atmosphere. Not that the two can't coexist, as Sgùrr showed, but a lot of Róka Hasa Rádió is slower and more deliberate. Not quite sure which of the two I like more, but both are definitely incredible albums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pJLrDJcktc

Edited by Emilie Autumn

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

• 2 weeks later...

^ that's pretty cool. sounds a bit like a metal version of Dead Can Dance.

relistened to In Requiem by Paradise Lost, and decided it's probably my third-favorite in their (impressive) discography. In Requiem sounds to me like the perfect blend of the Sisters of Mercy-meets-Metallica gothic metal style of their classic Draconian Times with elements of the direction they went with albums such as One Second and Symbol of Life - heavier and more guitar-driven than those albums, but with all the catchiness intact.

Edited by Scythey

relistened to Vision Thing by The Sisters of Mercy, their third and, to date, latest studio album. it's weaker and more inconsistent than the two masterpieces preceding it, but it's a severely underrated album nonetheless. a common complaint seems to be that it's very different from anything The Sisters had done before, but the people making this complaint don't seem to realize that Floodland was very different to First and Last and Always as well. The Sisters never made the same album twice.

Andrew Eldritch has always liked to distance The Sisters from the "gothic rock" tag they get stuck with (though whether he likes it or not, it's accurate) by describing the band as a continuation of 60s and 70s rock 'n' roll and hard rock, and nowhere was this influence heard more than Vision Thing. in contrast to the heavy use of synthesizers and overblown string/choir arrangements on Floodland, Vision Thing is stripped down to the basics with an emphasis on guitar, but unlike the similarly guitar-driven debut First and Last and Always the riffs here are much meatier and harder-edged.

the album contains some of Eldritch's best lyrics as well, especially on some of the more political numbers like the title track and "Doctor Jeep", which are scathing in subject matter while maintaining Eldritch's dark sense of wit.

overall an excellent album even if it is the weakest out of their (small, to be fair) discography, it's just a shame they didn't record anything (save for a one-off single to promote a greatest hits package) afterwards. if Tool fans think they have it bad waiting for a new album, they should just remember that The Sisters of Mercy haven't released an album in nearly 26 years despite being an active band that regularly writes and performs new material live.

Ashes Against the Grain by Agalloch.

Not quite as good as The Mantle, but not too far off. An excellent folk/progressive metal album with plenty of influences from other genres. Great songwriting, a very nice melancholic atmosphere, and a strong Ulver influence in the dark folk parts make for an enjoyable listen.

• Upvote 1

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

• 1 month later...

MI0001084047.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I will have this two-disc CD album until i die, in the far future when CDs are considered relics and I'll be charged extra to have my car/hovermobile 3000 installed with a 2010's variant CD player/radio/stereo system. "FM radio? Who listens to that anymore?!"

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Winter Thrice by Borknagar.

Fantastic progressive metal album; one of my favourites from this year so far. I do kinda miss the black and viking metal of their older albums, but elements from those are still here and make for a great sound. It's actually a lot more melodic than I was expecting, having not heard many of the more recent albums, but that's by no means a bad thing. The songwriting is still great, and it has very nice wintry atmosphere to it. Hence the title, I suppose.

It's also the first Borknagar album to feature Kristoffer Rygg on vocals since his departure from the band almost twenty years ago, which definitely gives it bonus points. Like most things, Borknagar are made much better by the presence of Kristoffer Rygg, even if it is on just two of the songs.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

The last album I listened to from start to finish was Book of Souls by Iron Maiden.

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~