[G1] The element of Iron

If toa of Iron can control metals and metallic protodermis, why is the element not named as Metal? Did the MU even have iron?

I get that Iron's an actual element, but since fe-toa can control all metals it doesn't make much sense to me.

same reason the pokemon type is "Steel" despite covering all metallic pokemon,

"metal" is a kinda awkward word to use for elements for some reason, phonetically, it just doesn't seem to be as intriguing as "Steel" or "Iron" are.

(y'know, like Iron Man, Iron Giant, etc, Iron is jsut one of the cooler metal names.)

• Upvote 8

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

"metal" is a kinda awkward word to use for elements for some reason, phonetically, it just doesn't seem to be as intriguing as "Steel" or "Iron" are.

(y'know, like Iron Man, Iron Giant, etc, Iron is jsut one of the cooler metal names.)

G2 should have a toa of Titanium

• Upvote 2

bBhcfWO.png

Personally, I find iron to be one of the more boring metal names, compared to mercury, titanium, silver, etc. and it's a bit less intriguing as it's just a single and very common element whereas steel is an alloy and metal can refer to all metals. 

Was everything in the MU made of Protodermis? If so, the element title of Iron would make even less sense. Zaria, Toa of Metallic Protodermis doesn't sound very nice, though.

Edited by 32one

"Toa of Steel" always sounded cooler to me than "Iron" ever could. After all, if they're going to lift an English term to denote the metallic form of Protodermis, they might as well have used the one that sounds cooler.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I don't know, as nifty as 'steel' sounds, I feel like 'iron' sounds more robust, which befits a clan of metalworkers. Besides, steel is just a fancy iron alloy.

Also, Iron is the sixth most abundant element in our universe (with a possible 35% of the Earth's mass being iron/nickel), and the same most likely applies to the Bionicle universe as well. If Fe-Toa aren't going to be called 'Toa of Metal,' then they may as well be named after one of the most common types of metal.

'Toa of Protodermis' is a bit cumbersome. I'm assuming that Protodermis is way more abundant than iron on SM, but I'm sure it would have been very off-putting for the rest of the MU if these Toa were named after the substance that makes up 80% of one's body.

• Upvote 2

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

"Toa of Steel" always sounded cooler to me than "Iron" ever could. After all, if they're going to lift an English term to denote the metallic form of Protodermis, they might as well have used the one that sounds cooler.

Yarr, but that would have caused confusion with the Man of Steel. 

Yarr, but that would have caused confusion with the Man of Steel.

Not really? Steel is a word that gets used pretty often; I don't think anyone would confuse a Toa with Superman.

Rahkshi Lalonde makes a good point which is probably exactly why the name was chosen. Of course, it's not like iron is the first element name that's been vague. People have been arguing about what counts as earth or stone for a long time, and I'm not sure how clear canon actually is on the matter. I'm pretty sure making the difference be organic versus inorganic material was a headcanon only...

~B~

Edited by Ballom

Ninjago did it.

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

• 2 weeks later...