Protecter of Earth is Female?!

ksprice45

Why don't you give me a direct quote that tells us that?

Well...it's kind of common knowledge by this point. But I suppose that I can give you the link to the page that has the information once I get off of mobile.

bZpOwEr

it matters because it's been a longstanding Boknle rule that only blue or partially blue girls can be women and also good guys. (all blue bad guys are men, somehow.)

so learning the muscular character from the earth tribe's a gal is pretty great because she's A. Not blue, and B. not of the traditional "feminine" bodytype.

sure it's not a great as a 50/50 split, but at least we still have "one big girl one little girl" jsut, not of the same tribe. :0

• Upvote 4

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

I honestly thought this was old news... Well, hopefully once people start reading the book in its entirety,they'll see that she's a girl and that's that.

then these kindas of discourses will all but be korgotten. :u

Oh god, the pun... THE PUN...!

Edit: Image linked; please don't embed images over 750 kB.

-Wind-

Oops, sorry about that.

Edited by G2 Terton
  • Upvote 1

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

I don't like it.

G1 had water=female. There was nothing wrong with it. No reason to change things up simply for the sake of changing them. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

I don't like it.

G1 had water=female. There was nothing wrong with it. No reason to change things up simply for the sake of changing them. 

Yeah, but I don't think they are changing it just to change it. It seems that in recent years LEGO has being making strides towards reaching out to girls, which is great. It was also annoying that every blue hero was female.

• Upvote 3

I don't like it.

Well...

1). It was completely unnecessary in the first place

2). It gave a lot of the female Matoran sort of a default personality since the majority of them were Ga-Matoran (Albeit with a few exceptions, like Dalu)

3). It meant that there couldn't be fanfiction that adhered to the canon that introduced male water characters or female non-water characters

4). It caused a tremendous scarcity of females in the MU.

5). Generally anything that restricts genders to one group, weather it be profession, trade, or in this case element, is absolutely pointless. The story could have been done just as smoothly, if not even more, if the gender restrictions weren't there. I for one am glad that Okoto has finally changed that. 

• Upvote 7

bZpOwEr

I don't like it.

Yeah, but I don't think they are changing it just to change it. It seems that in recent years LEGO has being making strides towards reaching out to girls, which is great. It was also annoying that every blue hero was female.

What's wrong with blue heroes being only gals?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I don't like it.

There's nothing wrong with it, it's just kind of a boring trend.

• Upvote 5

Apparently the PoW is a man!???

What's going on here???! Come on Lego!

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I don't like it.

It's less an issue of "blue heroes only being girls" than "girl heroes only being blue".  There's really no need to tie gender to color or element, so thankfully that aspect of the story seems to have been thrown out.

You may not see a "reason" to change it, but there's no reason it has to be the same either.

• Upvote 8

OpAXNpl.jpg

I don't like it.

It's less an issue of "blue heroes only being girls" than "girl heroes only being blue".  There's really no need to tie gender to color or element, so thankfully that aspect of the story seems to have been thrown out.

You may not see a "reason" to change it, but there's no reason it has to be the same either.

I wasn't taking Bara Magna into consideration, just the islands. But, yeah, I totally agree with you.

*snip*

What happened to "don't fix it if it ain't broke"?

It is broke, though.  There's no reason for there to be a canon rule saying girls can't be associated with fire or ice or earth and boys can't be associated with water.  That sort of thing just places unnecessary restrictions on who a character can be if they're going to fit within the bounds of the story.

• Upvote 6

OpAXNpl.jpg

I'm glad they made an Earth character female. Back in 2001, playing the MNOG for the first time, I assumed all villages possessed both genders. It wasn't until later I found out, to my disappointment, that only the Water tribe was arbitrarily female, and all female at that.

Now, if we could get a 2/6 female ratio, that would really shake things up.

- Heir

• Upvote 2

LfkQ2ln.png

Click the banner. You know you want to.

Shia Lebouf would tell you to just do it.

I'm glad they made an Earth character female. Back in 2001, playing the MNOG for the first time, I assumed all villages possessed both genders. It wasn't until later I found out, to my disappointment, that only the Water tribe was arbitrarily female, and all female at that.

- Heir

Mistika? Gali and Gorast?

• Upvote 1

- Heir

Mistika? Gali and Gorast?

Yeah, but that was for only one wave. And it was sort of counteracted by the following Glatorian, in which there were no female sets. 

bZpOwEr

@Tuuli

I think that's just an ambiguous choice of phrasing meant to dodge the reproduction question. Going by my Tolkien model, the correct wording would be, "Protector to first born".

@Wazdakka

Eh... eh. I considered that 2/12 because Gorast and Gali weren't the same species, but that is true, there were two female characters in the same wave of 6.

- Heir

LfkQ2ln.png

This is good, I did the math a while ago, and in genwun, there were about...thirty girls, and over a hundred boys, with three characters' genders debated. It looks like it'll be a better ratio in gentwo.

Who were the three debated characters? 

bZpOwEr

This is good, I did the math a while ago, and in genwun, there were about...thirty girls, and over a hundred boys, with three characters' genders debated. It looks like it'll be a better ratio in gentwo.

Who were the three debated characters?

A couple unnamed toa of plasma, the green, etc.

Oh, okay. 

bZpOwEr

I don't like it.

It stifles creativity. LEGO is a creative toy, so it makes no sense to insist that certain genders have to be locked to certain powers and color schemes. Especially when it pretty much enforces imbalanced gender ratios (only one out of the six main elements and three out of the sixteen gender-locked elements in G1 Bionicle were female).

Ironically, part of the point of gender-locked elements in G1 seemed to be to keep the gender ratios from becoming worse than one in six. It didn't really work out that way in the long run, since any time those rules were changed or broken it was to introduce a male character from a normally female element instead of the other way around. In this day and age, the LEGO Group can do better.

That motto is fine for people who settle for mediocrity. The LEGO Group does not fall into that category. Their motto is "Only the best is good enough" (or more accurately translated, "the best is not too good"). Meaning, even if what they have is "okay", they still do everything they can (within reason) to make it even better.

Anyway, I think it's kind of odd how much disbelief I've seen about Korgot being female. Everybody seems to be saying that she appears blatantly masculine. Why? Even if you subscribe to stereotypes about what is "feminine" or "masculine", I don't see how Korgot maintains more masculine stereotypes than feminine ones. She is literally the only protector with a narrow waist or "hourglass figure", and the only one who uses a stereotypically "girly" color (purple) in her color scheme alongside her typically gender-neutral primary color of black. She is shorter than the average Protector, and carries a crystal-themed weapon as well as pair of throwing knives (pretty dainty, as weapons go). Even her element can be perceived as feminine, since it can be associated with mythological "Mother Earth" archetypes.

On the other hand, the stereotypically masculine aspects of her design begin and end with "her shoulders are wider and higher than average". If we use narrow shoulders as a test of femininity, then the original Gali set from 2001 would fail that test immediately — her shoulders are wider than Lewa's, Kopaka's, or, if you measure the width of the shoulders at the joint itself, Pohatu's.

Overall, I think Korgot being female not only fits her design, but sends lots of very positive messages about how a powerful, muscular character can still be feminine. I look forward to reading the entire chapter book and finding out more about her characterization.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 12

You know, I was going to make another post, but... Aanchir just said everything I was thinking better than I could have said it myself.

Can I just quote you any and every time the Korgot argument comes up again? :-P

- Heir

• Upvote 1

LfkQ2ln.png

Yes! Now I can ship Onua/Korgot!

In other news, while I'm totally happy she's a powerful Earth Protector, It will take some time for me to get used to the fact that the blue sets (Which are my favorite,) won't be pure female all the time anymore. 

(what was stopping you before? :u)

anyway, about the blue sets, do you perhaps remember krekka, vezok. brutaka, takadox, vamprah, tarix, berix, those kaxium guys, surge?

• Upvote 3

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Why don't you give me a direct quote that tells us that?

Here is a screenshot of the Amazon preview which refers to Korgot (the Protector of Earth) as "her."

There was at least one other screenshot taken by another user, which helps verify the validity.

Reading that page was entertaining. It really reminds me of the earlier books for G1, and I can't wait to read it. It's hard having a bunch of sets and not knowing how any of them act. 

Meanwhile, I wanted to get more female sets in the first wave of G2, and bought everyone EXCEPT the Protector of Earth. Then it's revealed that she is female. Guess I go to go back to the store now haha. 

• Upvote 1

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

I don't like it.

I like it as a trend. It seems fitting for graceful, flowing, beautiful water to be a female element.

I don't like it.

I like it as a trend. It seems fitting for graceful, flowing, beautiful water to be a female element.

I can tell you from many harsh experiences that there are plenty of women that fall short of that standard. 

bZpOwEr

I don't like it.

I can tell you from many harsh experiences that there are plenty of women that fall short of that standard. 

Haha! Yeah. :)