The Most Unloved Thing In all of Bionicle

fishers64

Trans-blue mask of water. Not the mask itself, but just what happened as a result of it.

????
A lot of people are bitter about the exclusivity of the mask (only 200 were made available), that is probably what steelviper77 is talking about.

exclusive, so what? :s what happened

Only 200 were distributed, so a lot of people got their jimmies rustled because they couldn't have one.

So many flavors to pick from, and some people still choose to be salty.

Edited by The Irrational Rock
  • Upvote 9

bZpOwEr

Trans-blue mask of water. Not the mask itself, but just what happened as a result of it.

????
A lot of people are bitter about the exclusivity of the mask (only 200 were made available), that is probably what steelviper77 is talking about.
Only 200 were distributed, so a lot of people got their jimmies rustled because they couldn't have one.

I know ya'll are having a serious discussion, but something about that saying just makes me laugh so hard.

But on topic: if they got more than 200, they wouldn't be as exclusive. Also, they're only for people who tour the lego factory; how many people do that?

• Upvote 4

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

One thing that bugged me was the availability of the books. We only ever got two of the books in Germany, wich were the first two from 2007. I did get the comics (at least until the end of 2008, they didn't publish the Glatorian comics here), but those didn't always tell everything. For example, I didn't even know the Piraka fought the Toa Nuva, because that wasn't really shown/explained in the comics. 

Another thing would be that you couldn't really participate in a lot of the promotions outside of the US back in the day.

• Upvote 3

Hail Denmark

One thing that bugged me was the availability of the books. We only ever got two of the books in Germany, wich were the first two from 2007. I did get the comics (at least until the end of 2008, they didn't publish the Glatorian comics here), but those didn't always tell everything. For example, I didn't even know the Piraka fought the Toa Nuva, because that wasn't really shown/explained in the comics. 

Another thing would be that you couldn't really participate in a lot of the promotions outside of the US back in the day.

i bought all the books from amazon 

TheSkeletonMan939, Twister92, SPIRIT and Gatanui are awesome for uploading soundtracks and games and stuff.

i bought all the books from amazon 

That's one way to get them of course, but I was a kid when the books came out. Since english isn't my first language I wasn't very good at speaking/understanding it at the time.

Hail Denmark

Has nobody said Inika builds yet?

2007-onwards, you would have thought that Inika builds were essentially pure evil distilled into plastic molds given popular sentiment. 

• Upvote 2

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

I think there's a lot of stuff that should be disliked in the overall fandom a lot more than it actually is; for instance, there is no consensus on gender ratios or the writing skills of Greg Farshtey.

For something truly universally unloved, I'd have to go with the Inika torsos. I'm in the minority that insists its status as an unloved part is less warranted than that of the Piraka torso (because the Inika torso had more connectivity options), but I still don't like its extended use.

• Upvote 1

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Taking the topic title literally... squid launchers.

Nobody loved the squid launchers. Sure, a few people liked them, and even more liked them because disliking them was the cool thing to do. But, seriously, not one person loved them. Through simple process of elimination, this easily makes them the most unloved thing in BIONICLE

- Heir

Edited by Heir of the Chronicler
  • Upvote 11

LfkQ2ln.png

Click the banner. You know you want to.

Shia Lebouf would tell you to just do it.

2007-onwards, you would have thought that Inika builds were essentially pure evil distilled into plastic molds given popular sentiment. 

2007: awesome! finally the canister sets aren't clones anymore

early 2008: woohoo, new torso's

late 2008: err..okay?

early/late 2009: oh COME ON -ooh shiny colors 

• Upvote 1

TheSkeletonMan939, Twister92, SPIRIT and Gatanui are awesome for uploading soundtracks and games and stuff.

I'd say the issues with joint fragility are definitely up there, since they're the ones that affected not only dedicated Bionicle fans but also casual fans who didn't even follow the story, and also AFOLs who barely cared about Bionicle except for its parts. Not only did the fragile joints affect the widest number of people, but unlike story issues like gender ratios that some fans were able to ignore or headcanon away, or things like character redesigns and color changes that were negative for some people and positive for others, I can't think of any reason a person would be anything but disappointed with their Bionicle parts breaking.

• Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...

2007: awesome! finally the canister sets aren't clones anymore

early 2008: woohoo, new torso's

late 2008: err..okay?

early/late 2009: oh COME ON -ooh shiny colors 

Well, the Piraka and the Toa Inika themselves weren't exactly clones (not that I have something against clones, anyway, unless we're talking about the Toa Hordika. The Bohrok, and the Bohrok-Kal, yes, you heard that right, the Bohrok-Kal, are to this day some of my favourite sets) The Barraki neither, but most of them just looked weak and uncomplete, as did many of the Toa Mahri (Hewkii in particular; plus, Nuparu was way too similar to his Inika form. One might argue that all of the Toa Nuva were way too similar to their Mata counterparts but hey, that was 2002. In 2007 one would expect a little more originality, without designing sets in the same wave that you can't recognize at all as parts of the same team. From 2007 onward there was just over-uniquicizing (?? is that even a word) but little to no originality (thankfully that year also brought us Maxilos, one of the best titans ever) due to the abuse of Piraka and Inika torsos, which were good in 2006 but not so much in later years, and the absence of new limbs, with the exception of the Phantoka Makuta that were the most reasonable sets of that year, vehicles aside. As for the Avtoran torso and limbs, well I dunno what to say. Some criticize that it felt blocky, but I admit it was pretty legit afterall.)

Whew, that was a lot of typing, and most of it in brackets and in brackets inside brackets.

Another hateful thing, well, two actually, are:

-Pohatu Nuva. Seriously, look at him. He's quite ridicolous. The kicking function and the inverted torso looked good on his old self, but please not with the Nuva amor strapped to it, or the leg sockets placed that way.

-Gali Mistika. A weapon and a mask that did not look like a blasphemous cosmic monster from Lovecraft's visions would have been enough to make her more appreciable. Maybe just the mask.

Edited by Millennium

I think there's a lot of stuff that should be disliked in the overall fandom a lot more than it actually is; for instance, there is no consensus on gender ratios or the writing skills of Greg Farshtey.

Now, it's been quite a while since I've read any of the books, (I was more into the comics myself) but I thought Greg Farshtey was alright, considering he was writing stories designed to sell toys he was pretty decent from what I remember. Nothing spectacular, nothing terrible. Am I missing something? Please enlighten me, not trying to start a fight with anyone, but I'm genuinely curious about the people saying Greg's writing should have been disliked.

The gender ratio was pretty annoying too. The fact that most female characters were forced to play the mediator and "sweet" roles was always annoying to me. There were exceptions like Roodaka, (who was pretty cool, although I don't see why people dislike the set looking more feminine, I thought it was cool and really set her apart from a lot of other sets) but those were few and far between. I suppose it all boils down to the fact that it's a line of toys aimed at boys, but if you think guys can't like and relate to female characters, you've probably never seen Bob's Burgers. Sure it's a gamble having a female lead in a toy line aimed at young boys, but with a cast as huge as G1 Bionicle you'd think they could have a few more well-written female characters.

I think whatever the upcoming wave is ends up being pretty heavily disliked by the fans. I remember almost every year, seeing the toyfair pictures and hearing people say "these are awful" or something like that. I remember one of my favorite waves The Toa Mahri, were ragged on for a while, and the Mistika were the butt of many jokes here back in 2008.

Edited by Xarok
  • Upvote 4

-BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER-

The Kanohi Elda and its ugly tube mustache and the use of a backwards Piraka torso on several sets without any torso armoring on the front. That was TERRIBLE and they looked unfinished. I have no idea how LEGO allowed that.

• Upvote 3

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

The Kanohi Elda and its ugly tube mustache and the use of a backwards Piraka torso on several sets without any torso armoring on the front. That was TERRIBLE and they looked unfinished. I have no idea how LEGO allowed that.

i have a (maybe)answer for the piraka torso thing,

when flipped backwards, Piraka torsos gain a stripe of whatever color the hips and neck are (since they're usually the same color.) plus, the chin doesn't bump into the torso as much! (as encountered with the standard head, since its neck is shorter/more vertical than the piraka head.)

• Upvote 4

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

The fandom backlash towards Greg Farshtey when Makuta Teridax's name revealed. I won't judge any names but because of the fandom he felt like never revealing the true name of the Shadowed One

-

-

The brittleness of the socket limbs (including glatorian fists and long improved style sockets 2008-2011) 

The price increase for canister sets after 2006.

all of the 2008 toa designs

Edited by ---Kopaka Nuva---
  • Upvote 3

qs3135.jpg

The fandom backlash towards Greg Farshtey when Makuta Teridax's name revealed. I won't judge any names but because of the fandom he felt like never revealing the true name of the Shadowed One

I always thought Teridax was a cool name. Both Makuta and Teridax seemed to fit him very well. There were very few names I actually disliked in G1 and I can't really think of any in particular.

Edited by Xarok
  • Upvote 1

-BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER-

The Dark Colors in 04 thought 10,beside Keetorange which I liked that color a lot.

rbBQgdY.png

I see your Tahu and raise you an Umbra, as well as an Irnakk, Ehlek, Dekar, Lesovikk, Nocturn, Phantoka Pohatu and Lewa, Gorast, Bitil, all the 2009 good guys, *takes deep breath and rant continues*

Edited by Bonkle
  • Upvote 2

The fandom backlash towards Greg Farshtey when Makuta Teridax's name revealed.

Wait what, that actually happened?
There was a rumor that many people did not accept that Teridax was no longer the lone Makuta because many felt that the Makuta name was unique to him from the start.

There were rumors of GregF receiving aggressive messages and hate mail in his private message box. This appeared to offend him.

Edited by ---Kopaka Nuva---
  • Upvote 3

qs3135.jpg

The Dark Colors in 04 thought 10,beside Keetorange which I liked that color a lot.

rbBQgdY.png

That's only a sign that their time range was too long; 2004 to 2008, any examples you might have of bright colors would be cherrypicking in otherwise predominantly dark/neutral colors.

Hey, I never said that there were a lot of bright colors in the 2004-2008 years. I was just saying that there were a lot of them in 2009 and 2010, since the person I was replying to included those years in that category. 

Edited by The Irrational Rock

bZpOwEr

The fandom backlash towards Greg Farshtey when Makuta Teridax's name revealed.

Wait what, that actually happened?

There was a biased and misleading poll on the subject, that just had the options of "best name ever" "meh" and "horrible." The lack of a "Weak yes" option like "I like it." ruined everything.

• Upvote 3

????

Even Jimmy is rustled!

The surprise was vampires!

Sets-wise I hate how fragile the pieces are - in time Bionicle pieces will become harder and harder to find, but this won't make them any more resistant.

Story-wise I don't like how the serials were left unfinished, with so many question marks and so many unsolved situations.

Also, while the water characters are the only ones supposed to be female, they're also among the bulkiest (Dalu, Hahli Mahri, Gali Mistika...).

Hahli Inika's mask looks cool on a male character, but don't tell me it looks femine. Same for Gali Mistika.

• Upvote 2

hidron_nuva_idea.png

I really disliked the Glatorian sets. I hate, and still hate the hands which are not compatible with zamor or skyblasters, the new world, and the helmets instead of masks. I also hate how few Gold Vahi and Ignika masks exist and how I can never get one.

What do I write here?

Someone, say something funny so you can be remembered for posterity.

There was a while where literally no one would stop talking about how much they hated the Hordika. They weren't even bad sets, but people complained about mutant characters not having identical arms. Think about that for a moment.

The unavailability of the Tohunga was another, which makes me glad that I got mine when I did because I've seen multiple people charge $80+ for a full set. The Inika build was a big complaint with it's overuse, as well as clone designs before 2007 started breaking that up.

People also didn't like the playsets for whatever reason. I thought they were all pretty well designed, but opinions are opinions, I guess.

"The Hordika"

I think the 2009-2010 years. I kinda liked 2009 because it tried. But 2010...I can see where people are coming from. The sets were a bad way to end it all. I also didn't like how the Inika masks were incompatible with everything.

Oh, and I LIKED the Hordika, you butts (kidding)

Oh, and a little gripe with G2...Seriously? No Skull Villain for Gali?! And no Trans-Mask, besides the hecka-exclusive LEGO Tour version. I'm outta luck.

Edited by The Hordika
  • Upvote 2

I'm currently in the process of rewriting G2. PM me if interested.

Feel free to follow the blog! (https://spiritofokoto.tumblr.com/)