Skull Imitator Corphos artwork... and some Skull Spiders

TheOneVeyronian

Hey all

Most of you probably know me as primarily a Constraction builder - but not many know that I also fancy myself as an artist. Though drawing has been a passion of mine for many years, I've never really been one to post my work online because I felt I wasn't very good at it. But a friend recently encouraged me to post some Bionicle related artwork here, so here we go:

Firstly, my original G2 Bionicle character: Corphos (link goes to BZP topic about the MOC where I also give a little backstory, I suggest you give it a look if you haven't already seen it). As is customary with any of my MOC's that get popular, I draw it. I happened to do this one in a manga style, which is a style I'm still learning so please don't bash me too much  :P

19993840890_40ab786eb0_z.jpg

And here's a drawing of something you're probably more familar with: Skull Spiders!

19559194574_dca3b7477b_z.jpg

I basically wanted to draw a Skull Spider like how you get them in sets, but also wanted to give it fur like a real tarantula might have as well as some non-canonical touches I wanted to add, like spines on the legs.

Click the images to go to their respective Deviantart entries and see their full resolution (and why not give me a reason to post more of my art to DA while you're there if you like these :P ). I should add the backgrounds aren't created by me, they're just there to fill the space really.

So yeah, bear in mind that I am in no way a talented artist (I mean, I dropped art in favour of the sciences in Year 9 :P )and have only been practicing art in Photoshop for a couple of months, so comments, constructive criticism and upvotes are appreciated  :)

• Upvote 7

My Flickr - My Brickshelf - My DeviantART

Latest MOC: Draphim the Dragonborn - Latest artwork: Mazzie Rati

MOC Accolades: Mechan'Rex, Steel Guardian (BFTGM 2nd place on EB) - Skeletal Dragon (Featured on BZP) - Skull Imitator Corphos (Featured on Creator's Corner) - CCBS Chess (Featured on BZP) - Draphim the Dragonborn (Most faved MOC of mine on Flickr) - BOB WIP (featured on Flickr's Explore page - don't ask me why)

If you see a creative topic from me, I'd appreciate a comment on it - it's how I learn and become better at what I do!

That Skull Spider looks like it's got a bad case of the Maelstroms.  

Not quite sure what you mean by that. Is that a good or a bad thing? It's not really what I'm looking for though.

EDIT: Maybe I should just give up drawing and art completely and stick to MOC'ing. Almost nobody seems to be taking any interest in any art related stuff I do, nobody seems to appreciate it and nobody seems to want to give me valuable feedback either. I put a lot of time and effort into these so I'd really appreciate some sort of actual feedback. Is my artwork really boring and mediocre?

That said, does anybody have any feedback for me at all?

Edited by TheOneVeyronian

MOC Accolades: Mechan'Rex, Steel Guardian (BFTGM 2nd place on EB) - Skeletal Dragon (Featured on BZP) - Skull Imitator Corphos (Featured on Creator's Corner) - CCBS Chess (Featured on BZP) - Draphim the Dragonborn (Most faved MOC of mine on Flickr) - BOB WIP (featured on Flickr's Explore page - don't ask me why)

If you see a creative topic from me, I'd appreciate a comment on it - it's how I learn and become better at what I do!

Not quite sure what you mean by that. Is that a good or a bad thing? It's not really what I'm looking for though.

EDIT: Maybe I should just give up drawing and art completely and stick to MOC'ing. Almost nobody seems to be taking any interest in any art related stuff I do, nobody seems to appreciate it and nobody seems to want to give me valuable feedback either. I put a lot of time and effort into these so I'd really appreciate some sort of actual feedback. Is my artwork really boring and mediocre?

First off, Maelstroms is a Lego Universe game reference. And perhaps maybe a compliment?

Either way, this seems to have been done quite well. The realism of the some of the parts are the most striking feature for me, and how it seems quite lifelike.

For some reason I feel this art style would make for a good animation series. But still, it's good.

Sorry if this isn't the feedback you were expecting (since I'm not the best of critiques) and hopefully you'll continue your artistic venture.

• Upvote 1

First off, Maelstroms is a Lego Universe game reference. And perhaps maybe a compliment?

Either way, this seems to have been done quite well. The realism of the some of the parts are the most striking feature for me, and how it seems quite lifelike.

For some reason I feel this art style would make for a good animation series. But still, it's good.

Sorry if this isn't the feedback you were expecting (since I'm not the best of critiques) and hopefully you'll continue your artistic venture.

Thanks, I've never actually played LEGO Universe so I wouldn't have got that reference, so thanks for explaining  ;)

But thanks for your feedback, all types of feedback are good. The animation series suggestion doesn't surprise me because, well, they're pretty much done in an anime style (I learned the techniques used in these from a manga tutorial book so...). But each of these takes me over a day to do, so somehow a whole animation from me is somewhat unlikely  :P

Dude I had no idea at the time but this apparently influenced a moc I built outa skull warrior and assorted parts. I guess I just loved the horns and bulk to him

one day this will contain greatness only the best. But take this with the ocean of salt then you will know what to expect from this

Linework seems a bit rough, and it's hard to make out some of the detail on the skull spiders due the the mottled dark blue. I do like the horns though, they're a nice touch.

That's something I can't really help unfortunately, my hands are a little shaky when using a graphics tablet to draw because I'm not completely used to it yet. My lines are actually less messy than if I did this with a physical pencil drawing though as I used to do (see my early works on Deviantart for example) (but that's probably because I like my pencil work to look sketchy)  ;)