i used to love bionicle as a young child

When "Generation 2" of Bionicle came around, a sub-group of the community split off and are known as the "genwunners". 

They believe this retconned Bionicle is nothing but trash, and in fact, is worse than Hero Factory. 

Edited by Minty Green

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Welcome back to BZP! :)

I was away from the site for the same time you were; but BZP is still here, even if all the old posts that were archived have sadly been lost.

Except for the authors and fans who had the foresight to save copies, most of the old MOC's, artwork, and stories have been lost.  There have been some attempts at saving or reposting those things, though.

The following topics might also give you some idea of Bionicle's past:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/18267-what-are-your-fondest-memories-with-bionicles/

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/19147-how-nostalgic-is-bionicle-to-you/

If you stick around, be sure to check out the forum rules and Question and Answer Compendium to see what's changed or if you have any questions!  For example, BZP's policy on advertising has changed.

We hope you enjoy your stay! :)

• Upvote 1

If this Google trends graph is anything to go by, the community has significantly died off after the 2000's and briefly had a small bump last year, but shortly went back to being as low as it has ever been. I'd imagine the few people that are left here were hardcore bionicle fans back in bionicles heyday and not much else. I'm surprised the new generation didn't provide a boost in fans, although the target demographic seems to be skewed younger this time so that might be why.

LuGfyCj.png

Edited by hiddenderek

If this Google trends graph is anything to go by, the community has significantly died off after the 2000's and briefly had a small bump last year, but shortly went back to being as low as it has ever been. I'd imagine the few people that are left here were hardcore bionicle fans back in bionicles heyday and not much else. I'm surprised the new generation didn't provide a boost in fans, although the target demographic seems to be skewed younger this time so that might be why.

LuGfyCj.png

Yep. People just gave up on Bionicle as soon as it ended. 

It seems the lessened story elements for G2 turned people away instead of attracting them like TLG hoped.

Edited by Minty Green
  • Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

They believe this retconned Bionicle is nothing but trash, and in fact, is worse than Hero Factory.

It's a reboot with a new continuity, not a retcon.

Well, given the lack of axis labeling, I'd say it's really hard for that graph to be anything to go by...

~B~

• Upvote 1

It's a reboot with a new continuity, not a retcon.Well, given the lack of axis labeling, 

~B~

I know.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Here's where he got the graph from: https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=bionicle

Not much better. I think Google has to not disclose the numbers to protect their search engine algorithm. 

By comparison: https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=lolcat

Edited by fishers64

Ballom - here's the web page description:

support.google.com/trends/answer/4355164?hl=en&rd=1

Basically it shows a total number of searches for a term relative to the total number of searches done in Google over time. A line trending downward means it is getting less popular, although it doesn't mean its total number of searches is decreasing, it just means its popularity is decreasing compared to other searches. So to be fair, it could have the same number of searches as 2008 and be going down because more and more people are using Google, but I don't think that would account for such a huge decrease like this. Bionicle definitely isn't as popular as it used to be, and it doesn't seem the new generation is helping all that much (at least on the internet, actual toy sales could be a different story)

Here's the graph link. You can hover over the line with your mouse to see numbers. The numbers mean search interest relative to the highest point on the chart. "Bionicle" and Bzpower" give almost identical graph results.

Www.Google.com/trends/explore#q=bzpower

(sorry I should have included all of this on my first post, but for some reason I can't copy anything into this reply box.)

Edited by hiddenderek

Ballom - here's the web page description:

support.google.com/trends/answer/4355164?hl=en&rd=1

Basically it shows a total number of searches for a term relative to the total number of searches done in Google over time. A line trending downward means it is getting less popular, although it doesn't mean its total number of searches is decreasing, it just means its popularity is decreasing compared to other searches. So to be fair, it could have the same number of searches as 2008 and be going down because more and more people are using Google, but I don't think that would account for such a huge decrease like this. Bionicle definitely isn't as popular as it used to be, and it doesn't seem the new generation is helping all that much (at least on the internet, actual toy sales could be a different story)

Here's the graph link. You can hover over the line with your mouse to see numbers. The numbers mean search interest relative to the highest point on the chart. "Bionicle" and Bzpower" give almost identical graph results.

Www.Google.com/trends/explore#q=bzpower

(sorry I should have included all of this on my first post, but for some reason I can't copy anything into this reply box.)

I do know what Google trends mean, yes. Mainly I was making fun of how the graph screenshot isn't quantitative at all without a y-axis label. Thanks for providing the explanation though!

Here's where he got the graph from: https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=bionicle

And so today I learned that Hungary has an unusually strong interest in Bionicle.

And ah, hovering over the graph provides the y-axis points, the meaning of which is even explained. My faith in Google's graphing prowess is restored.

~B~

• Upvote 2

If this Google trends graph is anything to go by, the community has significantly died off after the 2000's and briefly had a small bump last year, but shortly went back to being as low as it has ever been.

LuGfyCj.png

It's a shame that I joined with my first account in December of 2009. That seems to be in the area of the major dropping point of early 2010. I wish I could've seen the forums as they were in 2005, 2007 and 2008. So many people, so much to discuss...

Yeah, we're still a community. A small one. But one nonetheless. I thought we would be getting more members all of the time this year, but that hasn't been the exact case.

Edited by Rooster Nui

Yeah, we're still a community. A small one. But one nonetheless. I thought we would be getting more members all of the time this year. But that hasn't been the exact case.

Registration has dropped off. There may be a number of factors involved. For instance, hiddenderek's graphs show data from 2004 to the present day. There was a good three years' worth of momentum behind the community then, which in 2009 began to dissipate: with the reboot, it seems as if we're starting from scratch. That said, I don't think we can sit back, be complacent, and expect things to grow again without some effort. It's a different time than it was ten years ago.

So, at risk of heading into General Discussion material, how do we reach out to new fans? How do we retain them?

Yeah, we're still a community. A small one. But one nonetheless. I thought we would be getting more members all of the time this year. But that hasn't been the exact case.

Registration has dropped off. There may be a number of factors involved. For instance, hiddenderek's graphs show data from 2004 to the present day. There was a good three years' worth of momentum behind the community then, which in 2009 began to dissipate: with the reboot, it seems as if we're starting from scratch. That said, I don't think we can sit back, be complacent, and expect things to grow again without some effort. It's a different time than it was ten years ago.

So, at risk of heading into General Discussion material, how do we reach out to new fans? How do we retain them?

Retention of fans isn't an issue I don't think. Finding and reaching out is. I would say that a good idea would be to establish a social media presence, but there are already several BZP social media accounts. Like you said, 10 years ago was a different place, and both Bionicle and the internet were different things. Also, in general, I think less and less people use/are aware of forums. I'm not saying they're going obsolete or anything, but the amount of forum usage is probably going down.

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

Retention of fans isn't an issue I don't think. Finding and reaching out is. I would say that a good idea would be to establish a social media presence, but there are already several BZP social media accounts. Like you said, 10 years ago was a different place, and both Bionicle and the internet were different things. Also, in general, I think less and less people use/are aware of forums. I'm not saying they're going obsolete or anything, but the amount of forum usage is probably going down.

I think it may be an issue with the toys themselves. It's been said many, many, times before on here: kids are more interested in gadgets and stuff these days and thus less inclined to buy action figures, thus they don't feel inspired to dig deeper. TLM has also had a negative impact on the constraction line, seeing as how no figures were featured in the movie and shifting most of the focus to system. 

I honestly think we're in the height of the inflow of new people. At least for the foreseeable future. 

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

...It is kind of starting to sound like some of you guys are planning a Bionicle missionary mission. :lol:

BEHOLD! The great commission of Windrider and Vanson! All shall know the name of the Great Spirit, and spell all written texts thenceforth in circles and polygons! The pilgrimages to the Bionicle Zone of Power shall skyrocket like a bird whose tail-feathers have been lit aflame, just like it did in days of eld; its great and ancient forums and bazaars shall flourish with the scents, sights and tongues of many a soul from realms on yonder, as they jabber forth about The Farsh' and his Canonical Crew!!

Hahahaha!

• Upvote 3

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

I believe that the time of Farshtey has passed. New legends await. This is the way of the Bionicle. 

Of more importance is that G2 has only been around for 6 months and has been somewhat starved for content. That Google trends graph starts in 2004, one of Bionicle's popular highs. If the graph went back to 2001, for example, I bet $20 that the web interest would be about the same as it is in 2015. 

It takes a little time to get things going again. And the lack of new content certainly has NOT helped. I think if they put out more content like they did in 2004, web interest would be way higher. And believe it or not, the web runs on content for discussion. If you want people to talk about stuff, you actually have to give them stuff to talk about. I mean, they tried that with the social media teasers and stuff, and that's great. But they need more

And to be honest, BZPower has suffered and bounced along with the content highs and lows. A lot of people fail to realize that BZPower's activity is directly tied to how much Bionicle Lego is producing. And while BZPower might produce some of its own content, it's always directly tied to Lego's own content. This is a Lego/Bionicle fan site, and that's what it discusses/reviews/does. 

The reason this site survived for four years with no Bionicle is due to the fact that members produced their own content down in the creative forums (based on old content), we discussed the old content because there was still a bunch of stuff to discuss in it that we hadn't considered before, and we discussed content from other themes. Even still, we still had severe activity loss. So while BZPower is active on social media and fixed a lot of its internal issues which helps extremely, this website's population and activity is still externally controlled by the teams of content producers in Billund.  

• Upvote 4

I think it may be an issue with the toys themselves. It's been said many, many, times before on here: kids are more interested in gadgets and stuff these days and thus less inclined to buy action figures, thus they don't feel inspired to dig deeper. TLM has also had a negative impact on the constraction line, seeing as how no figures were featured in the movie and shifting most of the focus to system. 

I find it difficult to believe that any of this is true.  Any time "kids these days" is pulled out as an argument it seems to be based on some exaggerated idea of how glued to devices people are.  An iPhone is not going to replace a room full of LEGO, and anyone who thinks it does probably won't be that interested in LEGO in the first place.  Also, I don't see how The LEGO Movie could have done anything to hurt constraction, since while it was SYSTEM-focused it made no jabs against constraction lines (and included a brief shout-out to BIONICLE).

What most people seem to be missing is that BIONICLE was a huge unexpected runaway success originally.  The new generation isn't trying to fit that profile, so it's no surprise that it's not the same monolithic presence it was ten years ago.

Edited by Bfahome
  • Upvote 3

OpAXNpl.jpg

I find it difficult to believe that any of this is true.  Any time "kids these days" is pulled out as an argument it seems to be based on some exaggerated idea of how glued to devices people are.  An iPhone is not going to replace a room full of LEGO, and anyone who thinks it does probably won't be that interested in LEGO in the first place.  Also, I don't see how The LEGO Movie could have done anything to hurt constraction, since while it was SYSTEM-focused it made no jabs against constraction lines (and included a brief shout-out to BIONICLE).

What most people seem to be missing is that BIONICLE was a huge unexpected runaway success originally.  The new generation isn't trying to fit that profile, so it's no surprise that it's not the same monolithic presence it was ten years ago.

Well, whether you like it or not, 'tech toys' are defiantly effecting regular toy, including Lego, sales. 

My proof.

And to address your other point, TLM was absolutely a 'jab' at the contraction line. Since the movie was widely success, SYSTEM sets sold extremely well: Proof

Edited by Minty Green
  • Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I find it difficult to believe that any of this is true. Any time "kids these days" is pulled out as an argument it seems to be based on some exaggerated idea of how glued to devices people are. An iPhone is not going to replace a room full of LEGO, and anyone who thinks it does probably won't be that interested in LEGO in the first place. Also, I don't see how The LEGO Movie could have done anything to hurt constraction, since while it was SYSTEM-focused it made no jabs against constraction lines (and included a brief shout-out to BIONICLE).

What most people seem to be missing is that BIONICLE was a huge unexpected runaway success originally. The new generation isn't trying to fit that profile, so it's no surprise that it's not the same monolithic presence it was ten years ago.

Well, whether you like it or not, 'tech toys' are defiantly effecting regular toy, including Lego, sales.

My proof.

And to address your other point, TLM was absolutely a 'jab' at the contraction line. At the movie was widely success, SYSTEM sets sold extremely well: Proof

TLM was a jab at constraction?

Um, I don't think that the movie's lack of constraction implied that it was trying to disrespect it somehow. Why would Lego "jab" their own products?

bZpOwEr

I find it difficult to believe that any of this is true. Any time "kids these days" is pulled out as an argument it seems to be based on some exaggerated idea of how glued to devices people are. An iPhone is not going to replace a room full of LEGO, and anyone who thinks it does probably won't be that interested in LEGO in the first place. Also, I don't see how The LEGO Movie could have done anything to hurt constraction, since while it was SYSTEM-focused it made no jabs against constraction lines (and included a brief shout-out to BIONICLE).

What most people seem to be missing is that BIONICLE was a huge unexpected runaway success originally. The new generation isn't trying to fit that profile, so it's no surprise that it's not the same monolithic presence it was ten years ago.

My proof.

And to address your other point, TLM was absolutely a 'jab' at the contraction line. At the movie was widely success, SYSTEM sets sold extremely well: Proof

TLM was a jab at constraction?

Um, I don't think that the movie's lack of constraction implied that it was trying to disrespect it somehow. Why would Lego "jab" their own products?

Obviously they wouldn't do it on purpose, but that's what happens when a company focuses on one section without giving much attention to another.

• Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

My proof.

And to address your other point, TLM was absolutely a 'jab' at the contraction line. Since the movie was widely success, SYSTEM sets sold extremely well: Proof

Study of 350 people based on questioning the parents?  Not the most reliable thing, really.

Also, no, it's not a jab.  "Jab" would be the movie saying that constraction was somehow bad.  As-is the movie was SYSTEM-focused, because LEGO itself is SYSTEM-focused.  The fact that some BIONICLE fans took offense at the fact that BIONICLE wasn't in the movie (cough) (or not ~enough~ in the movie for their tastes) doesn't mean that BIONICLE was spurned, it just means that the offended people are waaay too sensitive and/or used to being pandered to.

• Upvote 4

OpAXNpl.jpg

My proof.

Study of 350 people based on questioning the parents?  Not the most reliable thing, really.

Also, no, it's not a jab.  "Jab" would be the movie saying that constraction was somehow bad.  As-is the movie was SYSTEM-focused, because LEGO itself is SYSTEM-focused.  The fact that some BIONICLE fans took offense at the fact that BIONICLE wasn't in the movie (cough) (or not ~enough~ in the movie for their tastes) doesn't mean that BIONICLE was spurned, it just means that the offended people are waaay too sensitive and/or used to being pandered to.

I honestly wasn't expecting Bionicle to be featured whatsoever, so upon hearing that it made a cameo in The Lego Movie (and later seeing it for myself) I thought that was cool and nice to the community (and respectful of history, as Bionicle has had an impact on Lego). People who expected, nay, demanded that there be more of an appearance obviously need to recheck their priorities. Maybe the second one will have another cameo; if anything longer occurs then I am welcome to it, I'm just not holding my breath.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Considering Lego is the largest toy brand in the world now and is currently more popular than it has ever been, I don't think smart phones are affecting Lego sales all that much,

And let's not forget that Lego has several apps that they've made. If anything, smart phones are helping Lego by giving it a new medium to work with.
  • Upvote 1

bZpOwEr

This community is based on how popular you are with the things you create and if you aren't a premier member... Well let's just say your rights are cut in half.

ಠ_ಠ

I hope you realize that premier perks are given as rewards for people who pay to support the site, not rights that you're entitled to.

• Upvote 1

bZpOwEr

This community is based on how popular you are with the things you create and if you aren't a premier member... Well let's just say your rights are cut in half.

Getting a blog and a proto boost seem like reasonable perks for paying some money to keep the site up and running. I really don't know why you keep getting so worked up about things like this. I also don't see how being popular for what you put out is a bad thing. I mean, that's just how it is. If you make stuff that people like, you'll be more well known. It's not like that's only the case on BZP.

• Upvote 2

Hail Denmark

Your Rights don't Get Cut in half, When you are a premier Member, You get a few extra perks for helping the Website to keep running.

Edited by Dragon11603
  • Upvote 1

The Premier Membership program is in place to accept donations and in no way constitutes the acquisition of further rights on or ownership of the site.

"The BZPower Premier Membership Program is exercised on a strictly voluntary basis, and any and all funds solicited by the program are donations contributed and accepted in good will. Contributions do not represent any binding contract of goods or services" (see here).

So, that said, let's all stay on track, please?

Of more importance is that G2 has only been around for 6 months and has been somewhat starved for content. That Google trends graph starts in 2004, one of Bionicle's popular highs. If the graph went back to 2001, for example, I bet $20 that the web interest would be about the same as it is in 2015.

This and the rest of your post raise some good points.

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 4