i used to love bionicle as a young child

When "Generation 2" of Bionicle came around, a sub-group of the community split off and are known as the "genwunners". 

They believe this retconned Bionicle is nothing but trash, and in fact, is worse than Hero Factory. 

The crazies, who unfortunately exist in every single fandom.

• Upvote 2

"She lost in me her credence..."
"But what's normal anyway?"
"Don't walk away... don't walk away..."

I had heard of BZPower all the way back in '04 when I was heavily into Bionicle, but I didn't join until last year. I like it. The community is overall very friendly, with few exceptions (but yes, I've seen a few conflicts every now and again). Welcome back, enjoy your stay!

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

When "Generation 2" of Bionicle came around, a sub-group of the community split off and are known as the "genwunners". 

They believe this retconned Bionicle is nothing but trash, and in fact, is worse than Hero Factory. 

The crazies, who unfortunately exist in every single fandom.

I think that most people fall somewhere in between. We love Bionicle for returning, but are aware of its faults (CCBS, distinct lack of unique story/worldbuilding).

• Upvote 1

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

I dont think CCBS is a fault. I actually like it more. Having less specialized pieces results in easier MOCing. That's one of the biggest things I didn't like about gen 1: all the huge, ultra specialized robotic pieces like torsos and lower legs. I do think there needs to be more 'bionicle' styled armor add ons though. Yeah the story is really bad and ultra simple so far.

I have noticed that, outside of bionicle forums, most people on the internet seem to universally hate the new bionicles though. Its a shame, I think the new sets are way better than most the stuff bionicle put out in its later years.

Edited by hiddenderek
  • Upvote 1

I have noticed that, outside of bionicle forums, most people on the internet seem to universally hate the new bionicles though. Its a shame, I think the new sets are way better than most the stuff bionicle put out in its later years.

I haven't noticed that to be honest. From what I've seen most people seem to either not care about them or like the sets. 

Edited by doodleloot

Hail Denmark

I haven't noticed that to be honest. From what I've seen most people seem to either not care about them or like the sets. 

Yeah, I haven't seen anything super negative about the new Bionicles or anything like that.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

I'd say they're more of a vocal minority than anything. 

Typically someone who feels very passionately against something (i.e. 2015 sets) is more willing to make a big deal out of it than someone who passionately likes them. That's why you can usually find the same person commenting about how much they hate the new sets on a few different YouTube videos, Tumblr pages, ect. 

• Upvote 1

bZpOwEr

Typically someone who feels very passionately against something (i.e. 2015 sets) is more willing to make a big deal out of it than someone who passionately likes them. That's why you can usually find the same person commenting about how much they hate the new sets on a few different YouTube videos, Tumblr pages, ect. 

I'd argue the contrary. The people who are put off by the G2 Bionicles are often going to stray away from mentioning, looking at, or purchasing anything G2 Bionicle-related. Source? Many of my Bionicle-loving friends. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

I'd argue the contrary. The people who are put off by the G2 Bionicles are often going to stray away from mentioning, looking at, or purchasing anything G2 Bionicle-related. Source? Many of my Bionicle-loving friends. 

It's happens in the Transformers fandom all the time, mi amigo. There will always be people who like the OG stuff rather than the future stuff, no matter how good it is.

Edited by Minty Green

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

People were hating on new BIONICLE product lines way back in the day. I should know, I was one of them.

I don't mean to take a potshot, but if anything had a negative impact on the BZPower community, it was the 6 months of downtime right when LEGO pulled the plug on the line. Had that downtime never happened, and hundreds of members not lost their projects / moved on with their interests, I think the site would be stronger today. I know the downtime was a huge part of why I never really became active again afterward. It really took a toll on member enthusiasm.

- Heir

• Upvote 1

LfkQ2ln.png

Click the banner. You know you want to.

Shia Lebouf would tell you to just do it.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong as I was one at the time, but was Bionicle not around the same amount of popularity as it is now in the six months after it was released?

But, on to the question asked by the OP:

I would say dwindling, but that would be an understatement. As everyone has said, after 2010, it simply vanished, for lack of a better word. It would seem to be on the rise again with new children coming in after five years, perhaps some hearing about it from their parents or older siblings, however, as I stated above, it has only been six months, and if I am correct, and Lego plays their cards right, then it could skyrocket again come year 2 or 3, and if it is seen as marketable, then it could last up to 9 or so years again. But, if they have a joker in the pack, then it could just be seen as a failure, and be thrown away into the wind as a poor idea to re-establish.

The world has changed, and so has the people inhabiting it, and perhaps an old theme renewed might now be seen as bad choice.

:blink:

Well, that took a strange and sudden turn.

People were hating on new BIONICLE product lines way back in the day. I should know, I was one of them.

I don't mean to take a potshot, but if anything had a negative impact on the BZPower community, it was the 6 months of downtime right when LEGO pulled the plug on the line. Had that downtime never happened, and hundreds of members not lost their projects / moved on with their interests, I think the site would be stronger today. I know the downtime was a huge part of why I never really became active again afterward. It really took a toll on member enthusiasm.

- Heir

Out of curiosity, what was the reason for the downtime?

Edited by The Irrational Rock
  • Upvote 1

bZpOwEr

I don't really remember- server issues of some type, I believe. When BZP did come back, several months of posts were missing, and a lot of people lost a lot of work after not being able to work on it for half a year, if that follows. I'm not pointing fingers, I'm just pointing out another blow to the community.

- Heir

• Upvote 1

LfkQ2ln.png

Click the banner. You know you want to.

Shia Lebouf would tell you to just do it.