Ekimu - Theory of Fact?

This is for you.

Ekimu, grand Mask Maker of Okoto! but who is he?

This is where you get to talk about Ekimu in all aspects, especially as he continues to be more developed in the future. I would make this a Makuta topic as well, but we know nothing of Makuta... yet.

Anyway, the main discussion point is: When Ekimu placed on the Mask of Creation, did he change into a Toa-like form, or did he simply return to his mighty Protector form?

Talk below! and please, no flaming.

*commits unspeakable forum evil*

Erm...de derm...

So let's count: Ekimu has two forms after he is awakened, mark: 

1. His "frail, weakened" form. 

2. His form that he has after being transformed by the Mask of Creation.

The articles under dispute are namely: which of these forms does the Mask Maker vs. Skull Grinder set represent?

Evidence: 

1. Ekimu fights Skull Grinder in his weakened form in the book. This suggests that his weakened form is portrayed in the set, since the battle is also portrayed in the set. 

2. The Legends Video portrays Ekimu in a form similar to his set form in Mask Maker vs. Skull Grinder, which would in theory be his more powerful form, since he had not deteriorated during that time. While this portrayal could be a larger form, the size of his portrayal, and more importantly, his gear function suggest otherwise. 

It appears that evidence at the moment is evenly matched, and no effective conclusions can be drawn.

Nothing to be seen here, folks. :P

Yeah, he just gains a bit of mass and his powers.  :P  [bones: Please don't overuse emoticons.]

Edited by bonesiii

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

To add to the evidence listed by fishers, we have seen a weakened form of Ekimu in Basher's character video.

I have not read the book spoilers, so do not know at which point in the story Ekimu supposedly "transforms". However, here we now have two animation depictions of Ekimu; a recently-revived one with rusted and damaged armour, and a restored-to-default one who looks like he did in the Legend video (his eyes are still the wrong colour though :P).

It seems overwhelmingly likely to me that the book passage describes Ekimu changing from the former version to the latter version.

The passage also describes the rejuvenating light as coming from the Hammer of Power, which fits with how Ekimu does not yet have his Hammer in the animation scene where he is old and decayed.

Edit: Had time to finish my post ;)

Edit 2: Decided I'd clear up the apparent contradictions that led to this argument in the first place (major plot spoilers):

The reason it seems that the "wrong" Ekimu is depicted in the MMvSG set is that there will actually be two battles between Ekimu and Kulta.

The first battle is at the Forge, with decayed Ekimu and the Toa fighting Kulta wearing the Mask of Creation. Kulta performs his staff hexakill, knocking the masks off the Toa; then the Toa hold Kulta down to allow Ekimu to reclaim the Mask (these scenes are in the character video with their orders reversed to obfuscate the plot). This is the point at which Ekimu is restored to his pre-coma form. Shortly after this, Kulta uses his Mask Stealer Staff for its named purpose to reclaim the Mask from Ekimu (mirroring the Toa losing their masks earlier). Restored Ekimu then chases Kulta back to the arena, where he noscopes Kulta's backup and re-reclaims the Mask (which is the scenario depicted by the set).

Edited by Votuko
  • Upvote 2
:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

The reason it seems that the "wrong" Ekimu is depicted in the MMvSG set is that there will actually be two battles between Ekimu and Kulta.

The first battle is at the Forge, with decayed Ekimu and the Toa fighting Kulta wearing the Mask of Creation. Kulta performs his staff hexakill, knocking the masks off the Toa; then the Toa hold Kulta down to allow Ekimu to reclaim the Mask (these scenes are in the character video with their orders reversed to obfuscate the plot). This is the point at which Ekimu is restored to his pre-coma form. Shortly after this, Kulta uses his Mask Stealer Staff for its named purpose to reclaim the Mask from Ekimu (mirroring the Toa losing their masks earlier). Restored Ekimu then chases Kulta back to the arena, where he noscopes Kulta's backup and re-reclaims the Mask (which is the scenario depicted by the set).

Uh, no.

That's called "your villain broke loose from the temporary containment", and is not supported by the animation. In them, Kulta KOs the Toa in an instant, and they don't get up and grab him. They're unconscious.

Meanwhile, in comes Ekimu, who was awakened from the activation of the forge. Skull Slicer, Skull Basher, Skull Scorpio, and Skull Warrior all surround Ekimu, but he defeats them with relative ease. Kulta, however, is deprived of his victory moment in placing on the mask to defeat Ekimu, which he fails at miserably, and Ekimu grabs the Mask.

Uh, no.

There's one sequence in the teaser where all the maskless Toa sans Tahu are grabbing onto Kulta while Tahu faces him down. Did you not see that?

Meanwhile, Kulta and Ekimu's showdown takes place inside the arena, not the forge. It's obvious because of the hexagonal patterns on the ground and the blue-lit color scheme, rather than the orange of the forge.

• Upvote 1

... correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Ekimu always been portrayed as a Protector-build character?

Also, do we know if he's a Protector species with special abilities, or is he supposed to be his own type of character?

- Heir

LfkQ2ln.png

Click the banner. You know you want to.

Shia Lebouf would tell you to just do it.

There's one sequence in the teaser where all the maskless Toa sans Tahu are grabbing onto Kulta while Tahu faces him down. Did you not see that?

Meanwhile, Kulta and Ekimu's showdown takes place inside the arena, not the forge. It's obvious because of the hexagonal patterns on the ground and the blue-lit color scheme, rather than the orange of the forge.

The Toa held him. Did it do anything? no. He walked with no problem.

That doesn't mean Ekimu showed up, watched the Toa get whelped, took on the Skull army, watched the Toa get him again, grabbed the Mask, leave Grinder alone, unguarded, allow him to attack them as they leave, head into the forge and have a final confrontation, because that makes no sense.

What most likely happened is: Indirectly Ekimu is awakened, meanwhile the Toa have been defeated by Grinder and head to the forge, while Ekimu comes into the arena. Grinder has placed the ask back, thinking there's no problem now, until Ekimu shows up, whips them all, and meets up with the Toa.

Uh, no.

Uh, yes? ;)

Like I said, Kulta's video shows the battle with the Toa in a jumbled order. The Toa can't have been knocked out, because they get up and grab Kulta (no longer wearing masks, because the staff knocked them off). Then comes the part from the book we have been discussing where

Ekimu knocks the Mask of Creation off Kulta's face, puts it on and is restored to his original self.

Also, the Toa meet the Skull Scorpio at the Graveyard, on their way to awakening Ekimu. After then he is visible in a powered down state in the Skull Basher video, so he should arrive at the Forge to battle Kulta at the same time as the Toa; not later as you hypothesise.

Ekimu battles Kulta twice: once in his decayed form and once in his restored form.

• Upvote 3

Ahhh interesting. Do we know if this is THE Ekimu, or is there a tribe of mask makers who hold the title? 

If it is him, cool. I await to see who let him out of his coffin he was clearly placed in.

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I'm not quite sure where Ekimu comes from, but I must say how much I love the whole brothers aspect and how it's taken an even bigger and perhaps more literal stance in the new canon. So far, I feel like Ekimu's just a wise mask maker who grew to a larger state of power from his importance and mask.

I have to wonder where they got their masks though, since I'm not sure it was ever specified. It's very plausible that they made them, since Makuta made the Mask of Ultimate Power, showing they have the skill/ability to craft powerful masks, but perhaps they were assigned them by some higher power. Could be partly why Makuta felt so cheated, because Ekimu got the fancy and pure Mask of Creation- which theoretically helped Ekimu make the masks that the villagers liked more- while the Mask of Control made the less loved masks, screwing Makuta's reputation.

Correcting everyone:

The villager species is not called "Protectors" as Protector is the title given to the six only village elders.

There is no mask maker race the character called "Mask maker" is called "Ekimu" from the website. We can only assume he is the only mask maker, besides Makuta.

Remember how the individual Toa videos had them all face LoSS in their own environments at the end?

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Remember how the individual Toa videos had them all face LoSS in their own environments at the end?

Oh, yeah! That happened. I totally forgot about that. I guess that shows the possibility that some other type of confrontation will take place. 

While I'm here, I'll state my thoughts for the main discussion point. I don't think Ekimu went into a Toa-like state after wearing the Mask of Creation. I think he simply returned to a Mask Maker state because he is either a species of his own along with Makuta or the villagers, and not a Toa. He wasn't a Toa to begin with (from what we know), so wearing a mask he's already worn shouldn't make him a Toa.

Edited by Rooster Nui
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hoping this isn't beyond the revive point...

With the new videos that have released, my theory is this:

1. Still only one Grinder fight. Forge looks a lot like the arena, but it is not, because the arena was destroyed.

2. Toa are defeated by Kulta with ease... At first. Only because Ekimu is fighting with them do they win.

3. Ekimu is awakened and is brought to the forge, where they meet basher on the steps. After taking him down, Grinder whips the Toa with ease while Ekimu reactivates the city and regains his lost power. He then breaks in and does some awesome villain-whipping to reclaim his mask.

1. Still only one Grinder fight. Forge looks a lot like the arena, but it is not, because the arena was destroyed.

2. Toa are defeated by Kulta with ease... At first. Only because Ekimu is fighting with them do they win.

3. Ekimu is awakened and is brought to the forge, where they meet basher on the steps. After taking him down, Grinder whips the Toa with ease while Ekimu reactivates the city and regains his lost power. He then breaks in and does some awesome villain-whipping to reclaim his mask.

Well, the book Island of Lost Masks is out now, and covers what happens in the Ancient City. To summarise, if you want the spoilers: ;)

The Toa awaken Ekimu at his tomb. He is in a decayed form. The group head to the forge, where Kulta defeats the Toa. Ekimu rebuilds the Hammer of Power, and its energy restores him to his healthy form. Ekimu then defeats Kulta.

Ekimu's character video is definitely set in the Arena, and does not show the events that happen in the Forge. The character video events may be non-canon, or they may happen at a later time (which would make it a second battle against Kulta).

Which still defeats your earlier point on Ekimu gaining a Toa-like form.

My point?

I was one of the guys explaining why the quote from the book didn't mean Ekimu was getting a new form. :P

(I had previously thought Ekimu would battle Kulta while still in his decayed form, because the person who quoted the book preview said that Ekimu's "transformation" happened after fighting Kulta. However, they were ether lying or misreading, because the "transformation" quote actually comes before the battle with Kulta, and is clearly about Ekimu being restored to his pre-coma form as is shown in the set.)

Ekimu's character video is definitely set in the Arena, and does not show the events that happen in the Forge. The character video events may be non-canon, or they may happen at a later time (which would make it a second battle against Kulta).

Either the Arena is rebuilt somehow or the forge is a general copy. Or LEGO's trying to throw us off the hook. Because the arena was clearly destroyed by Onua a while ago(which also questions Onua's strength, seeing as he destroyed it in a single hit, but we don't know the age of the stone nor what condition it is in. Goodness, I'm going off track again). Since we don't know any of the previously mentioned answers, all we can do is speculate until the next video where maybe we can get a glimpse of the forge's interior.

This definitely disproves the Toa-Ekimu theory, either way.

I think the Ekimu character video is noncanon cause:1)The arena was destroyed.2)Ekimu fought skull slicer in his video but skull slicer was defeated(unless he makes a comeback).3)If Kulta used the MoCr to defeat the toa then why would he take it off to fight Ekimu?

My only thoughts are that maybe Kulta gives Ekimu a challenge to win the mask back and recreates the arena and brings back skull slicer and if this were the case then that would mean the Kulta/Ekimu comic is noncanon. Either way, we'll just have to keep watching to find out.

Kopaka.png

stone_good.png

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

• 1 month later...

To clear up some of the confusion, almost ALL of the things in the character videos are non-canon and are only there to show off the characters abilities, or to link them in with the sets. this is why we see stuff like Skull Warrior holding Kopaka's mask, and Ekimu taking on all of the Skull Villains at once and winning. it's not part of the web series, its just there to make the characters look cooler.

Edited by kanohihunter21
  • Upvote 2

Link to how Azi looks(UPDATED): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4Hh1oWv0PcbLWVKdnpaT1hZeFk/view?usp=drivesdk

Also, because THEMESONG:

• 1 month later...

everything is ekimu fault and he doesn’t know it

he was to arrogant to see that his brother was on the brink of insanity but he didn’t he is wise but naive and cost him but he still dosent see the easy way out of this talking to makuta after all the reason makuta broke the ancient law in the first place was jealousy because he was alone and unloved i relly hope ekimu will try to help makuta and not try to beat him up or lock him away that just makes things worse but maybe this takes place in the g1 universe before makuta bacame a god and maybe what where seeing is makutas past and maybe its all ekimus fault MAYBE EVERYTHING  IS EKIMUS FAULT

everything is ekimu fault and he doesn’t know it

he was to arrogant to see that his brother was on the brink of insanity but he didn’t he is wise but naive and cost him but he still dosent see the easy way out of this talking to makuta after all the reason makuta broke the ancient law in the first place was jealousy because he was alone and unloved i relly hope ekimu will try to help makuta and not try to beat him up or lock him away that just makes things worse but maybe this takes place in the g1 universe before makuta bacame a god and maybe what where seeing is makutas past and maybe its all ekimus fault MAYBE EVERYTHING  IS EKIMUS FAULT

Where have I heard something like this before... Hmm.... I wonder...

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

okay here is my theory everything is ekimu fault and he doesn’t know it

g2 takes place in the time before time on the same planet some time between when the sprit robot is left there and before the events of metru nui and everything is ekimu fault and he doesn’t know ithe was to arrogant to see that his brother was on the brink of insanity but he didn’t he is wise but naive and cost him but he still dosent see the easy way out of this talking to makuta after all the reason makuta broke the ancient law in the first place was jealousy because he was alone and unloved i relly hope ekimu will try to help makuta and not try to beat him up or lock him away that just makes things worse but maybe this takes place in the g1 universe before makuta bacame a god and maybe what where seeing is makutas past and maybe its all ekimus fault MAYBE EVERYTHING IS EKIMUS FAULT he created the makuta from gen that we all know and love

when I say g1 i mean this version of g1 really i see this as the alternate history and the reason why mata nui crashed was that the metoren revolted and cased them to crash

Edited by tophat+hordika=hatdika

Wait, how can someone be both wise and naïve at the same time?

This isn't related to G1, oh He of Little Punctuation. Also, the GSR crashed because of Teridax' actions, not a Matoran rebellion. BS01 is your friend.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Wait, how can someone be both wise and naïve at the same time?

This isn't related to G1, oh He of Little Punctuation. Also, the GSR crashed because of Teridax' actions, not a Matoran rebellion. BS01 is your friend.

they can be very knowable about the world yet be naive because they have been loved thought their interior life by everyone and they can Imagen any one not being treated like a god so they think everyone else is treated like that to

Also, the GSR crashed because of Teridax' actions, not a Matoran rebellion. BS01 is your friend.

It got weakened and sick because of a Matoran rebellion, though. :shrugs: It's something easily confused.

im talking about what if g2 is an alternate past to g1

Could be a nice headcanon; Okoto is on Spherus Magna pre-Core War, and was governed by the Mask Makers in place of the great beings. Doesn't fit into canon, though.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Also, the GSR crashed because of Teridax' actions, not a Matoran rebellion. BS01 is your friend.

It got weakened and sick because of a Matoran rebellion, though. :shrugs: It's something easily confused.
im talking about what if g2 is an alternate past to g1

Could be a nice headcanon; Okoto is on Spherus Magna pre-Core War, and was governed by the Mask Makers in place of the great beings. Doesn't fit into canon, though.

thats why i said alternate past and i like it