20189202006_752ebe476c.jpg
Flickr

A complete revamp of the Aeon, and probably the largest humanoid MOC I've made. As such, it presented some unique challenges, like how to keep it standing. Even after liberal piston application to the legs, it still managed to fall over incessantly when I photographed it. Thankfully, that's over with now.

There is a turntable in the waist which allows rotation, but given how finicky it was being I decided to not tempt fate by messing with it much for these shots.

Enjoy!

This is also my entry for the latest Flickr contest.

~B~
  • Upvote 6

Hey, I remember that MOC!  Good job revamping it, Ballom.  Looking at the previous iteration, I feel like the removal of the dark bley was a good decision, as it lets the color scheme flow better.  It also looks much more smooth in general, thanks to the CCBS armor pieces.

I think my favorite part of this MOC is how you constructed the legs.  You were really creative with the parts usage there, especially the use of the Bohrok torso pieces and Rahkshi heads.  I also like how the piston supports are used.  I've been trying to work on something large as well and while I think I've managed to get something to work using CCSB limbs, I might have to try how you connected the legs to the torso.  I also like the shape of the feet.  The Technic fins and silver Nuparu armor work really well there.

Going further up the MOC to the torso, I see some very smooth sections near the neck and chest area.  The use of the new Bionicle armor piece, the Hero Factory torso, and the Inika shoulder armor piece work really well here.  I also like how you managed to incorporate the Cordak blasters from your original MOC.  I feel like they fit very well and you do a good job of filling in any gaps that might be created by its weird shape.

The main things that bother me are the shoulder area and the upper arms.  For the shoulders, I feel that the smoothness of the lower body and legs is disrupted slightly.  I think it might be because of the steps the torso makes with the System sloped pieces jutting out to the Cordak blasters, which then jut out to the piece connecting the blasters to the main shoulder construction.  I'm not sure how you could fix this.  I would suggest trying to make the system slopes somehow curve into the blasters, I just can't really think of anything that you could use to do that.

For the upper arms, the way they increase in width from the shoulder area and downward looks a bit odd.  I'm guessing you did that so that the arms had more movement, which I understand.  One thing I do like about the arms, though, is the use of the skull spider masks.  They blend very well with the MOC.  Otherwise, the arms are relatively simple and they look good for it.

The head looks very unique and I like how you were able to make it similar to the original's while changing it to fit the smoother look of the MOC.

All in all, this is an awesome creation, Ballom, and I'm glad to see you're still MOCing!

• Upvote 1
matanui1.png

Ooh, very sleek! Excellent work! The eye kinda blends in with the rest of the head, and I feel there should be just a bit more contrast there, but it works. Silver and Red is a lovely choice of color scheme, and it works here perfectly!

Thanks! In person the trans-orange eye stands out more than in the pictures, where some of the contrast was lost, unfortunately.

So we're allowed to post the entries on here once entered?

This has always been the case, yes.

Hey, I remember that MOC!  Good job revamping it, Ballom.  Looking at the previous iteration, I feel like the removal of the dark bley was a good decision, as it lets the color scheme flow better.  It also looks much more smooth in general, thanks to the CCBS armor pieces.

I think my favorite part of this MOC is how you constructed the legs.  You were really creative with the parts usage there, especially the use of the Bohrok torso pieces and Rahkshi heads.  I also like how the piston supports are used.  I've been trying to work on something large as well and while I think I've managed to get something to work using CCSB limbs, I might have to try how you connected the legs to the torso.  I also like the shape of the feet.  The Technic fins and silver Nuparu armor work really well there.

Going further up the MOC to the torso, I see some very smooth sections near the neck and chest area.  The use of the new Bionicle armor piece, the Hero Factory torso, and the Inika shoulder armor piece work really well here.  I also like how you managed to incorporate the Cordak blasters from your original MOC.  I feel like they fit very well and you do a good job of filling in any gaps that might be created by its weird shape.

The main things that bother me are the shoulder area and the upper arms.  For the shoulders, I feel that the smoothness of the lower body and legs is disrupted slightly.  I think it might be because of the steps the torso makes with the System sloped pieces jutting out to the Cordak blasters, which then jut out to the piece connecting the blasters to the main shoulder construction.  I'm not sure how you could fix this.  I would suggest trying to make the system slopes somehow curve into the blasters, I just can't really think of anything that you could use to do that.

For the upper arms, the way they increase in width from the shoulder area and downward looks a bit odd.  I'm guessing you did that so that the arms had more movement, which I understand.  One thing I do like about the arms, though, is the use of the skull spider masks.  They blend very well with the MOC.  Otherwise, the arms are relatively simple and they look good for it.

The head looks very unique and I like how you were able to make it similar to the original's while changing it to fit the smoother look of the MOC.

All in all, this is an awesome creation, Ballom, and I'm glad to see you're still MOCing!

If you're making something big, piston reinforcement works really well. There's lots of friction in the piece to keep the axles from slipping, and requiring moving two ball joints to move does wonders. This guy falling over happened entirely due to his un-reinforced knees.

The blasters do kinda jut out, yeah. It's partly due to those large lip sections on either side of the barrels, which make tighter integration more difficult. I think the system slopes leading up to them from below make a fairly smooth transition though. I dunno, maybe I've spent too much time looking at it as I made it to be objective about that.

The arms were partly slimmed down at the top to allow more movement. That's also partly why they project so much from the body; I would have preferred the shoulder width to be a module less on each side. For the upper arms, I also partly use the width of the back panel as a visual cue for the whole upper arm being that wide, if that makes any sense, which results in a view of the arm where the width doesn't increase much.

Thanks for the super-detailed review! It's neat to see someone who remembers the original too!

~B~

This is ridiculously cool. I love the integration of the silver and red; it's not traditionally layered or blocked, but it works well enough. Excellent use for the Cordak blasters as well; those things are hard to work with.

Good to see that you're still building!

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is ridiculously cool. I love the integration of the silver and red; it's not traditionally layered or blocked, but it works well enough. Excellent use for the Cordak blasters as well; those things are hard to work with.

Good to see that you're still building!

Thanks for the feedback, Sumiki! Glad you like it.

I actually generally tried for a kind of color blocking, with red on the outside of the arms and silver on the inside, as well as red on the insides of the legs with silver on the outsides. The middle of the body is a bit messier in colors, though, I admit.

I am indeed still building, yay! College makes it difficult to find much time to do so, but I try to find time when I can.

~B~