Inika Prototype Source

Dorkpool

So there are pictures of prototype set designs for some of the Inika, most notably Jaller, Nuparu, Hahli, and Hewkii (and I think there's sort of one for Kongu). These pictures are fascinating looks into what could have been, and are accepted as true prototype images, but there's one question I have, and was wondering if anyone knew the answer to:

Where did they come from? What's the source of these pictures? They appear to be from some magazine, but which one?

Does anyone know?

Oh, here are the pictures, if you're curious or need a refresher:

Nuparu

Hewkii

Hahli

Jaller

Kongu

Oddly enough, there's no prototype picture for Matoro.

• Upvote 4

The Nerd With a Mouth. The Klingon-Speaking Comedian. The Guy Hoping Not To Get Sued By Marvel. The Guy Who Makes Jokes About Bad Creepypasta Stories. The Guy Who Also Writes About The Truth of BIONICLE...sort of.
Vezpool for president 2016

4352268.jpg

I don't know where they came from either... However, I really would like the masks that Nuparu, Jaller, and Hahli have. I like those designs quite a bit. The one Kongu has is a little...off...

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

I don't know where they came from either... However, I really would like the masks that Nuparu, Jaller, and Hahli have. I like those designs quite a bit. The one Kongu has is a little...off...

In multiple forums I've visited, I notice people seem to gush about Nuparu's claws, then say they're basically the 2008 claws.

The Nerd With a Mouth. The Klingon-Speaking Comedian. The Guy Hoping Not To Get Sued By Marvel. The Guy Who Makes Jokes About Bad Creepypasta Stories. The Guy Who Also Writes About The Truth of BIONICLE...sort of.

4352268.jpg

These are from the german Bionicle comics from 2006.

There's actually another picture of the prototype Toa Inika that not a lot of people seem to know of. It features Matoro on some sort of weird hoverboard.

inika_prototypen.jpg

(Thanks to Toa-Nuva from chronistmagazin.de for scanning the picture for me)

Edited by doodleloot
  • Upvote 9

Hail Denmark

These are from the german Bionicle comics from 2006.

There's actually another picture of the prototype Toa Inika that not a lot of people seem to know of. It features Matoro on some sort of weird hoverboard.

inika_prototypen.jpg

I have never seen Matoro before. Actually, that's the first time I've seen the image in full.

Awesome.

4352268.jpg

Wow! These are really cool and different. Kind of want to try building some approximations of them now...

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

That Hewkii is so much better than what we got. And all it took was the mask. Kongu's mask is also pretty weird (from what I can tell it looks like a Great Ruru with mandibles), but it's kinda growing on me (also probably better than what we got).

But those colors hurt my eyes. A LOT.

just think,in an alternate universe,people are gushing about how weird the hahli we got in this universe looks weird without the fins,as in the final products and the prototypes flipped places.(i know i articulated that statement badly. hopefully you still get my point.)

• Upvote 1

check out my totally ORIGINAL youtube channel, Below Average Geeks!  I'm trying something different.its very small, so comments will be noticed and read.

just a poll.on a scale of one to ten, how likely are you to read a webcomic based on just this title: 'Neon Laser Dragons.'?

see these guys?

0VlbJ.gif  AjzI5.gif msLAB.gif cr1zz.gif

alrighty bros, listen up.

my lightning dragon is lonely.

click dis bebe dergen pls.

i know its dumb.

jus do it pls.for me, a'ight?

',:]

my Skrall--er, scroll.

just think,in an alternate universe,people are gushing about how weird the hahli we got in this universe looks weird without the fins,as in the final products and the prototypes flipped places.(i know i articulated that statement badly. hopefully you still get my point.)

Or the alternate universe in which these were the scrapped prototypes for Bionicle's canceled year :P

• Upvote 2

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

The kanohi on all the toa Inika except Hewkii seem to be spliced from existing masks and parts. Can anyone identify any of them?

well hahli's head looks like nokama's

• Upvote 1

TheSkeletonMan939, Twister92, SPIRIT and Gatanui are awesome for uploading soundtracks and games and stuff.

Kongu looks like a giant green wasp. Hey, wait a minute!

Also on the Kongu front, it seems his mask went through two different designs before settling on the weird ogre one we got. Thinking about it, how do we know that the prototype Kongu we see on the wiki is Kongu? We have no source for it, for all we know it could be Hahli or Matoro.

But oh my, these sets look so cool. They really seemed to be trying to theme them around a thing like they tried with the Barraki in 2007; Hahli the scuba diver, Matoro the Skier, Kongu the wasp, Jaller the Pyro, Hewkii the Axonn, Nuparu the uh... uh...  gunzerker? I dunno.

I wish we got those masks though. Much better than the rubber ones we got, even if they are just prototypes.

And the translation of the other teaser:

THE TOA INIKA

The latest heroes of Voya Nui have made it their task to liberate the enslaved inhabitants of the island (kingdom - not sure if Googles got it on this one) and find the legendary mask of life. But, it is important to prevent the Piraka achieving this goal before them!

• Upvote 2

Am I the only one who thinks that Nuparu and Hewkii's prototype weapons look better then the final versions?

Their weapons are pretty sick, mainly Nuparu's. I think Hewkii's does look better than the final version, but not by much. Nuparu's however is amazing!

• Upvote 2

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Another thing I find really odd about these prototypes is how all the new body parts (the torso, the new legs, shoulder and chest armor, ect.) seem to be finalized and ready for production, while parts like weapons and masks are mostly early prototypes. Maybe they didn't design the Inika build specifically for the Inika, but designed them as sort of a system in an attempt to standardize the builds of Bionicle figures to come? Sort of like the CCBS except worse.

Hail Denmark

Those prototype Toa Inika are awesome! I'd never seen that image with all six. It's cool that each Toa has not only a Zamor Launcher and a primary weapon, but also an extra accessory like a jetpack, wings, flippers, or a snowboard. It's a darn shame that the final sets only kept the extra accessories for Nuparu and Hewkii. Also, strangely, Jaller is the only one of the prototypes in that series without a light-up weapon, which leads me to wonder if it might have been his JETPACK that lit up...?

I do agree that the color schemes of some of the prototypes leave a lot to be desired, though, and moving away from such systematic color distribution into color schemes tailored to suit the individual characters is one of the big positive steps I think the Toa Inika sets made.

In answer to the original question, I'm not sure where all of the images are from, but the prototype Kongu that uses a modified Mask of Shadows was from a poster displayed at New York Toy Fair. It ended up confusing a lot of people since a much more finalized version of Toa Kongu was exhibited at the same event, so until people got confirmation from Greg it was understandably believed to be a previously unseen character.

• Upvote 1

The kanohi on all the toa Inika except Hewkii seem to be spliced from existing masks and parts. Can anyone identify any of them?

Well Matoro Seems to have a little Vahi in there.

Kongu has Ruru(But in this Pic he has Kraahkan+Nokama Metru's Weapon.)

Hahli has Nokama Hordika

I think Nuparu is Kiril

And I can't Identify Jaller Because THOSE COLORS BURN MY EYES OHMYGOD.

Edited by Dragon11603

Ahhhh its been awhile since I saw these. Thanks for the refresh! Yea, most prototype models are existing pieces spliced together to form a rough idea. But man, some of these look like scuba gear for the Mahri. Almost as strange as the Visorak prototypes

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

There's something jutting out at the bottom, anyone know where that came from?

Probably just one of the Piraka weapons. The page that showed these prototypes always showed pictures of the characters in the comic with a brief character description.

Edited by doodleloot

Hail Denmark

I think that mask looks like the Kraahkan's alternate side.

gb_civil_war_ara_banner_2.jpg 
Proud Graphics Artist.
Current 2015 collection:

I have them all :P

green = all, blue = partial, black = none

Only non-promotionals counted

I think that mask looks like the Kraahkan's alternate side.

That's because for the most part, that's exactly what it is. Most Bionicle parts start as other parts cut and glued together, in the very earliest prototype stages.

Though I think the person you replied to might have been referring to the one in the group shot, which is significantly different.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I can think of 20 different things they could've done better with the Inika, but their giant rubber heads always took the cake. That prototype group picture just makes me all the more sad that they deviated from such a central concept in the final designs. These original guys honestly had a lot more going for them. 

Of course, there were a couple of bad decisions made in 2006.

Edited by renaldohoek