what is the best combiner in all bionicle

bohrokman

I feel like most people are going to say either the Kardas Dragon or Voporak.

Personally, I'm partial to Ultimate Dume (with the special Kraahkan.)  I think in particular it gets extra props  because the concept of the combo is entirely canon. I like how it's literally meant to be an amalgamation of Nivawk, Krekka, and Nidhiki within the story. 

• Upvote 2

Probably Kardas in my opinion. He was very fun to complete back when I was a kid, and his sheer size was amazing. He may not be the best designed set, but he's certainly not terrible either.  

“We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives. And that's okay. That's good. You gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."

-The Doctor

I loved building Takutanuva. Other than that, Voporak was fun to build

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

The single biggest problem with combiners is that of color. Shape is a challenge in and of itself, as you're working with an extremely limited number of parts, but if the end result looks like it ran through a Crayon factory, it negates whatever other inventiveness it may have.

As a result, I think the Kardas Dragon is the best combiner. It does well on both fronts, especially for one that has to combine the many hues of the '06 titan wave.

• Upvote 3

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Honestly I think both TSO and Ultimate Dume handle their color schemes really well. 

Ultimate Dume, ehhh... he's still kind of a mix and match job IMO, what with him having red, green and blue in there. I mean yeah, he's mostly green and blue but I think the red just stands out way too much.

The Shadowed One though, definitely handles it well.

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

The red is ONLY on the right hand and it's not meant to be part of him. It's a representation of his shadow grabby... thing. If you imagine both of his hands looking like his left - as he would normally appear without the shadow power active - the blue/green/black/silver color scheme works super well. 

• Upvote 2

Quite partial to the fikou myself. Still keep one handy on my desk. ^_^

I really liked a lot of the small Rahi combiners in general, actually (Pokawi, etc.). They usually felt more carefully crafted than the large combiners, despite their limited options for pieces.

• Upvote 1

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6

Gotta go with Botar. It's the only combiner I've ever built that actually stood out as something special to me.

Other than that, the Fikou. It's the only combiner I still have intact, and I made that in purple. :3

Edited by Methaxx

97fbefa58de6a357f47187fd56bc8076-d6d4bzl

The Kahu doesn't quite count, since it's a combo of two models in the same set, but I feel like it's worth mentioning regardless. The wings in particular are well done imo.

Trying to think more in terms of a proper combo model, I'm thinking the Kabaya Bohrok combiner. It has a very mecha-like feel. The Kardas Dragon isn't too bad, but it falls short in some ways that really bug me.

Ultimate Dume is a joke, and I'm surprised to see so many people list it. It's a complete disaster.

• Upvote 1

Those comically huge jaws on Dume killed the set for me.

Also, my favorite official combiner set is the Kardas dragon.

As for fanmade combiners, I love Rollout's Wairuha creation, it's too bad he never made instructions.

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

Ultimate Dume is a joke, and I'm surprised to see so many people list it. It's a complete disaster.

Have you ever built it yourself, or just looked at it in pictures? Whether or not you have the special edition Kraahkan also changing things, too. 

Do I need to have built it myself to see its comically tiny shins, and its ridiculous large jaws with a tiny head? It's just not that good.

Botar. Massive, looks cool, has good playability, and is a beast in the story. 

11/10 would build again with Paleo. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Have you ever built it yourself, or just looked at it in pictures? Whether or not you have the special edition Kraahkan also changing things, too. 

Do I need to have built it myself to see its comically tiny shins, and its ridiculous large jaws with a tiny head? It's just not that good.

Alright. Disliking the shins is a valid criticism. But even then, I find that (in person) the sheer height and wingspan make it easier to overlook. For the record, I never understood complaints about proportions in Bionicle. They're obviously not meant to be human, so why should they have to be proportioned like us? Furthermore, as I mentioned, the tiny head is more-or-less completely fixed when the special edition Kraahkan is worn. Lastly, The large jaws are a design choice not a design flaw, and one I rather enjoy personally.

Another nice thing about Ultimate Dume as a combiner is that it's completely story relevant. Makuta is actually built from the parts of Krekka, Nidhiki, and Nivawk in the canon, which I think is worth acknowledging. 

Edited by IXRollOutIX
  • Upvote 2

For the record, I never understood complaints about proportions in Bionicle. They're obviously not meant to be human, so why should they have to be proportioned like us?

Because aesthetically, certain proportions just look ridiculous and laughable and will be treated as such. Dinky little shins serve no purpose, look absurd, and have zero redeemable aspects.

The large jaws are a design choice not a design flaw

A bad design choice. I don't care whether or not it was made intentionally, what I care is that it looks awful.

• Upvote 2

For the record, I never understood complaints about proportions in Bionicle. They're obviously not meant to be human, so why should they have to be proportioned like us?

Because aesthetically, certain proportions just look ridiculous and laughable and will be treated as such. Dinky little shins serve no purpose, look absurd, and have zero redeemable aspects.

They don't bother me personally. But as I said, I believe disliking the shins is a valid criticism; point taken there. I had conceded and wasn't really referring to Dume's legs anymore. Just the general complaints overall, not one in particular. For instance, the long arms on the Inika/Glatorian build. They're bio-mechanical aliens from a fictional universe based on a toyline. This fantasy world doesn't have to play by the rules and expectations you believe in. It's completely within reason that they would be built differently than humans, and just because you might think it looks ridiculous does not make it wrong or bad. That's purely subjective. 

The large jaws are a design choice not a design flaw

A bad design choice. I don't care whether or not it was made intentionally, what I care is that it looks awful.

Well golly gosh. I guess that settles it then. You said it's bad, so it must be fact... I sure do love pushy opinions.  :P

• Upvote 1

The Kahu doesn't quite count, since it's a combo of two models in the same set, but I feel like it's worth mentioning regardless. The wings in particular are well done imo.

Trying to think more in terms of a proper combo model, I'm thinking the Kabaya Bohrok combiner. It has a very mecha-like feel. The Kardas Dragon isn't too bad, but it falls short in some ways that really bug me.

The Kahu actually isn't one of my favorites, simply because out of all the 2001 Rahi alternate models, it's the only one that lacks any actual functionality.

And yeah, Ultimate Dume is pretty awful, and I say that as someone who had TWO of him.

I'd probably consider Vezon and Kardas to be one of the best. He's definitely flawed, don't get me wrong. But he's also got a lot of great building techniques, a fairly solid color scheme, and is substantially different from the sets used to build him. I would also rank The Shadowed One highly, since he had a great color scheme and a unique (if impractical) three-legged build.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother