Bionicle 2016 Set Names Discovered

It looks like the German Amazon site has gotten a bit overeager and has posted the set names of the first wave of Bionicle sets for 2016. They follow a similar pattern to the first wave of 2015 sets, with six smaller sets and six larger (as opposed to seven). You can check out the names, as well as the original pages on Amazon, by reading on!

View the full article

• Upvote 5

Oh, okay, so this is okay to post and discuss? Wasn't entirely sure myself, hence why I didn't report on it. It's probably worth mentioning that these are translations from German, so they might not be perfectly accurate to the names. I've seen some evidence that "Unifier" possibly ought to be "Uniter", for instance. The same thing happened last year with some early translations of the Protector set names accidentally being translated as "Defender"... and I still occasionally see comments talking about how they prefer the "preliminary names" that were never actually used, just mistranslated by fans.

I wonder what the "Creature" sets will be. New enemies for the Toa? Or perhaps animal companions or pets? The one thing I am fairly sure of is that they'll be taking over the $10 price point from the Protectors, but I might even be wrong about that. :notsure:

Also worth bearing in mind that there's no reason to assume this is a complete list. There might still be a Kopaka set. If there is, though, I would wonder why it is not in numerical sequence with the other Toa. Perhaps he might be in a larger size of set, possibly packed with another character, creature, or vehicle?

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 5

I wonder what the "Creature" sets will be. New enemies for the Toa? Or perhaps animal companions or pets? The one thing I am fairly sure of is that they'll be taking over the $10 price point from the Protectors, but I might even be wrong about that. :notsure:

I'm hoping for the latter. I've wanted a wave of animal buddies for the Toa ever since Jaller Mahri and his Hahnah Crab. :wub:

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

R.I.P Kopaka. 

I'm kidding, of course. It's interesting to see the names of some of next year's sets, though I also think that the list is incomplete as well. But I want to learn more about 2016 stuff...closer to 2016. I want to learn more about this year's story first. :P

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I'm surprised to see something like this on BZPower at all, let alone on the front page. Still, I just want to see the pictures first.

But I want to learn more about 2016 stuff...closer to 2016. I want to learn more about this year's story first.

Same here. It's bad enough that this list comes after the official release of the summer sets, but now we have more to look forward to just too soon, in my opinion.

It seems to no Ice Element hope it's not full list

No ice? NOICE! :P

Oh, okay, so this is okay to post and discuss? Wasn't entirely sure myself, hence why I didn't report on it. It's probably worth mentioning that these are translations from German, so they might not be perfectly accurate to the names. I've seen some evidence that "Unifier" possibly ought to be "Uniter", for instance. The same thing happened last year with some early translations of the Protector set names accidentally being translated as "Defender"... and I still occasionally see comments talking about how they prefer the "preliminary names" that were never actually used, just mistranslated by fans.

Also worth bearing in mind that there's no reason to assume this is a complete list. There might still be a Kopaka set. If there is, though, I would wonder why it is not in numerical sequence with the other Toa. Perhaps he might be in a larger size of set, possibly packed with another character, creature, or vehicle?

Uniters? Wonder where the story is going...hopefully they'll open the city back up and unite the whole island :D As for the lack of a Kopaka, I seriously doubt they'll leave him out. 

I bet the creatures will be good guys...or maybe they'll start off as wild or even possibly infected and the Toa will have to tame them? Could be cool.

I bet the Hunter set will be evil in that regard- the toa save wildlife while he tries to slay it? That or he's good and is basically an embodiment of nature that the toa must make peace with to unite the villages with nature?

All of this is just speculation of course, but everyone's gonna have their own theories and ideas even when the sets and story are released!

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

It's completely possible that he's packaged with the creature of ice, seeing as it wasn't on that list either.

QUICK MAKE THEORIES WHILE YOU CAN!1!!ONE

The next generation of Protectors have been mutated into creatures and started a civil war against their parents, so the Toa must settle the conflict by finding and awakening the Great Uniter, who will use her Metalbending to make them all sit down and possibly also die.

Also the Region of Ice exploded and Kopaka shunned his former identity in shame, becoming Umarak the Hunter.

(Hire me whenever you want, Lego.)

• Upvote 10

The next generation of Protectors have been mutated into creatures and started a civil war against their parents, so the Toa must settle the conflict by finding and awakening the Great Uniter, who will use her Metalbending to make them all sit down and possibly also die.

Also the Region of Ice exploded and Kopaka shunned his former identity in shame, becoming Umarak the Hunter.

Actually, I think it's possible that Kopaka gets an infected mask or something and becomes someone totally different. Look at Dekar.

• Upvote 1

Actually, I think it's possible that Kopaka gets an infected mask or something and becomes someone totally different. Look at Dekar.

Good point.

Umarak the Creature of Ice must have integrated himself with Kopaka, taking control of the Toa and forming a powerful Hunter to use against the established order!  And the only way to save Kopaka is by killing him, but the fatal wound causes Umarak to be released, and in order to prevent him from possessing another Toa, the Toa must leave Kopaka to die alnoe.

• Upvote 2

Kopaka confirmed:

(Edited due to this post. -Wind-)

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 5

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Hmm... The Kopaka combo set seems to me that these "creatures" aren't going to be pets as people think, but rather enemies, perhaps ones too with elemental powers. Maybe they were once good, and the Toa have to change them back and they can combine with them? Wishful thinking on my part.

The same goes for Hunter - he seems more like an Ekimu-type set, maybe like a protector that helps the Toa track down the animals?

Kopaka confirmed:

Melum?

MALUM?!

The connection theories were right all along?!?!?!?!

Exactly what I was thinking. He spent so much time with those Vorox that he got turned into an animal himself.

Of course!  This is a game-changer...if Umarak is not possessing Kopaka, then that means Koperker and Melum must have willingly fused together to create Umerak!  Clever, Lego, no one would have seen that coming.  We all would've expected Kopaka to slip during the Fusion Dance.

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 2

R.I.P. Kopaka - He Slipped :P

But anyway, this is exciting! I wonder what the new Toa will look like. (Hoping for lots and lots of transparent parts and more bone elements in silver.) Also, it's pretty neat that Kopaka and the Ice creature are in a combo set. I wonder if they'll be allies or opponents...

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Meh, I guess this disproves my theory that Bionicle's comeback was going to be a one year event and then they'd drop it and move back to Hero Factory...

:music:

They said at NYCC that they had at least three years of story planned, didn't they? Seems like that theory's been disproved for a while now.

Hmm... The Kopaka combo set seems to me that these "creatures" aren't going to be pets as people think, but rather enemies, perhaps ones too with elemental powers. Maybe they were once good, and the Toa have to change them back and they can combine with them? Wishful thinking on my part.

The same goes for Hunter - he seems more like an Ekimu-type set, maybe like a protector that helps the Toa track down the animals?

Really? To me it seems to confirm the opposite: "Unity Set" suggests that the characters in that set could be allies. It's possible the creatures might start out as wild, aggressive creatures and the Toa would have to tame them, but it's seeming more and more likely that the creatures will eventually become animal companions for the Toa.

Note also the name "Umarak the Hunter". If this is an enemy character (which seems likely to me, since it'd be odd to use such an aggressive-sounding title for a hero character), then that sets him up as an adversary for the creatures. It's the perfect opening for a "harmony with nature" arc like 2005 was trying to be (though 2005's attempt was somewhat sabotaged by the "your natural instincts could lead you down a path of darkness and corruption" theme).

Also, suppose the new Toa are meant to unite with the creatures physically? In that case, we might get heroes with animal powers as combination models. It'd be great timing for that, seeing as LEGO Legends of Chima (the previous animal hero theme) just ended.

You also have to consider what's going to be on the shelves at the beginning of 2016. The 2015 Protectors (supporting characters) and Toa (heroes) will have left most shelves by that point, but the skull creatures (villains) might still be lingering. This means there's much more need for the new sets to fill the hero and supporting character categories than the villain category. If we assume the creatures are supporting characters and Umarak is a villain, this means the range of new characters perfectly replaces the range of characters that will be discontinued around that time (six heroes, six supporting characters, one villain).

So do the names mean there will be some sort of return of the three virtues in G2?

Not necessarily. Unity can exist in Bionicle without being a part of the three virtues. Unity exists in real life without being a part of the three virtues.

The three virtues are rather shallow as belief systems go, so I'm honestly not terribly interested in G2 bringing them back. If LEGO does decide to introduce some sort of belief system for G2 Bionicle I kind of hope it might be something more sophisticated than "stick together, do your job, and accept your fate". The only time the three virtues really had more depth than that was the Mata Nui Online Game, where they were the foundation of the six Matoran principles, which were in turn the antitheses of the Rahkshi powers and the foundation of the six Kolhii skills. And that version of the system was not all that compatible with G2 since it identifies Creation as a stone-oriented principle.

The way I see it, even My Little Pony has managed to get more storytelling mileage out of its central values (the Elements of Harmony) than Bionicle typically got out of its three virtues.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

XD

Umerak the Hunter sounds like next winter wave's lone villain. Such a LoSS.

Speaking of that, does anyone think we will get little villains/heroes in every set? Like the Skull Spiders?

If Umarak is the LoSS of 16 then I can only assume each set will include tiny Hunters.  Or maybe Umas.  Or Raks.

Buy Tahu, Unifier of Fire, comes with SUPER Golden Mask of Fire and free rocks!

• Upvote 2

Meh, I guess this disproves my theory that Bionicle's comeback was going to be a one year event and then they'd drop it and move back to Hero Factory...

Anyone could have told you that. Abandoning a theme for just a year before bringing it back would be a recipe for disaster—literally all it would do is accelerate the loss of older fans for no good reason (the best recent example would be Ninjago, which suffered a sharp drop in fan interest after the almost-cancellation in 2013 and took some time to recuperate after its hasty revival). Not to mention that we've known that the new Bionicle was planned for at least three-years since New York Toy Fair last year...

Why would you think they would be enemies? Normally you might expect a hero and villain to be packaged together to provide conflict play, but "unity set" sounds an awful lot more like a set of allies. If anything, I would think this would confirm that these creatures are allied with the Toa.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Ohhhh. I just remembered- the new online game had weird 'animal' versions of the Toa if you get all the parts or something! So the animals are probably allies.

Pics? This is new to me. :D

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6

Isn't this a leak?

• Upvote 4

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Is it bad that when I first saw this I was hoping that Kopaka was killed?

I mean...don't get me wrong, I love Kopaka just as much as the next guy. And it was probably unlikely since Kopaka is probably the second most well known Toa after Tahu. 

But killing off a major character...I love it when they do that. 

Edited by The Irrational Rock
  • Upvote 1

bZpOwEr

Anyone could have told you that. Abandoning a theme for just a year before bringing it back would be a recipe for disaster—literally all it would do is accelerate the loss of older fans for no good reason (the best recent example would be Ninjago, which suffered a sharp drop in fan interest after the almost-cancellation in 2013 and took some time to recuperate after its hasty revival). Not to mention that we've known that the new Bionicle was planned for at least three-years since New York Toy Fair last year...

- Orient Expedition.

Never heard the three-year thing from NY Toy Fair, since I wasn't there... was this mentioned anywhere?