CCBS or Bionicle?

Bonkle

Which is better?  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My goodness, I'm appalled.

CCBS is terrible. For a great many reasons. 

Been surprised by all of the durability comments about pieces I've seen lately. Maybe it's my general lack of sets from 08-10 (are those the weak ones?), but I've never outright broken a piece.

No, CCBS is not magically superior in durability compared to Bionicle. It's just that people who didn't take good care of their Bionicle sets ended up being surprised that they broke. Granted, the lime-green limb piece failure was something else altogether. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Been surprised by all of the durability comments about pieces I've seen lately. Maybe it's my general lack of sets from 08-10 (are those the weak ones?), but I've never outright broken a piece.

No, CCBS is not magically superior in durability compared to Bionicle. It's just that people who didn't take good care of their Bionicle sets ended up being surprised that they broke. Granted, the lime-green limb piece failure was something else altogether. 

On the flip side, have you ever seen anyone complain about broken CCBS parts?

• Upvote 2

Eh, that is just patently untrue. The remolds we got for joints starting in 2008 were fragile. That's just...fact. Even being careful, those were just accidents waiting (and willing) to happen. It had little to do with people not being careful. People were treating them the same way they'd been treating pre-2008 joints, and had them break.

But you're right that CCBS pieces aren't superior in durability due to magic. They...were designed and engineered to be superior? With like, science. And they are, better. Better certainly than the 2008-2010 parts, but also probably more than even the classic joints.

• Upvote 15

AXKP5KC.png

Uhhh, I took good care of my sets and I still ended up with many broken pieces. The joints in the last few years of G1 were very poor quality so it didn't take much to start cracking them. Most of mines cracked or broke after a few months.

• Upvote 3

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

Uhhh, I took good care of my sets and I still ended up with many broken pieces. The joints in the last few years of G1 were very poor quality so it didn't take much to start cracking them. Most of mines cracked or broke after a few months.

Same here.

What point are you really trying to make now? You don't like CCBS. End of discussion, at least the way I see it.

• Upvote 5

I think it's funny that people like him, people who are arrogant and refuse to look at things objectively, ignore the posts of those who prove that they're irrevocably wrong. Instead they go after the people that haven't posted the same strong argument, hoping to bluff their way through so that they can feel "right".

Edited by Tarvaxx
  • Upvote 3

I think it's funny that people like him, people who are arrogant and refuse to look at things objectively, ignore the posts of those who prove that they're irrevocably wrong. Instead they go after the people they that haven't posted the same strong argument, hoping to bluff their way through so that they can feel "right".

Wazdakka has shown multiple times that he is a Geewunner, usually to my amusement.

Edited by Bonkle
  • Upvote 7

CCBS for sets; combination of both for MOCing

Oh mercy me, I do declare that Bionicle is far better.

CCBS is good for building short and simple figures, but when comes to dense and complex ones, OG Bionicle parts curbstomp. I only use 'em when I too lazy to add actual bulk to limbs and such. I might as well use system parts for more blocky designs.

'scuse me

Not good enough.

Okay, let's do bigger.

Ooh, harsh... defintely set myself up for that one though

I linked that because, whether or not it's a good MOC, I believe it objectively counters much of what you said about CCBS, but maybe your MOCing standards consist entirely of bigfatslob/Steve Puckett

Huh? I'm not entirely sure what's going here? My standards are that of an elite MOCist who only wants best possible thing next to perfection.

And which MOCist might that be? All constraction MOCists who I would consider elite embrace CCBS.

~B~

• Upvote 4

It's a gamble whenever I try to use 2008-2010 pieces for anything.  Past a certain point I had to settle for using cracked (and therefore looser) limb bones simply because I wouldn't have had enough pieces otherwise.  The CCBS has improved on this in every way, by both thickening the plastic of the socket walls and not making them so constricted, so the ball doesn't have to push it apart so much.

• Upvote 8

OpAXNpl.jpg

It's a gamble whenever I try to use 2008-2010 pieces for anything.  Past a certain point I had to settle for using cracked (and therefore looser) limb bones simply because I wouldn't have had enough pieces otherwise.  The CCBS has improved on this in every way, by both thickening the plastic of the socket walls and not making them so constricted, so the ball doesn't have to push it apart so much.

On the topic of the 2008 pieces, how many times could you take apart and rebuild a set from 2008 before it breaks? Because I really want to buy some '08 sets from the internet and build them my self.

On the topic of the 2008 pieces, how many times could you take apart and rebuild a set from 2008 before it breaks? Because I really want to buy some '08 sets from the internet and build them my self.

I'm not sure that there's anything near a set number. Some pieces are worse than others; it just depends on the luck of the draw if you get a set.

Of course, buying things new will make them less likely to break, as wear will increase the odds of a break. Also, when you snap joints together or pull them apart, try to brace the parts with your fingers, as I've found that appears to have decreased breaks for me.

~B~

Edited by Ballom
  • Upvote 4

I'm not sure that there's anything near a set number. Some pieces are worse than others; it just depends on the luck of the draw if you get a set.

Of course, buying things new will make them less likely to break, as wear will increase the odds of a break. Also, when you snap joints together or pull them apart, try to brace the parts with your fingers, as I've found that appears to have decreased breaks for me.

~B~

Alright, thanks. I'm looking to buy Takanuva and Icarax, they just look so cool.

I do like CCBS, but I love the points of connection per piece on the Bionicle side of things

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

CCBS is fine and all, and I like how for MOC's, it's easily integratable with the old BIONICLE system. However, I do not MOC often, and I always preferred the look that the original BIONICLE's had. The new system is also to easy to build. Give me me a good titan technic set any day over what we have now. 

“We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives. And that's okay. That's good. You gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."

-The Doctor

"Bionicle system" implies that the classic theme had any sort of organized and distinct building system. It didn't. It was always a slapdash mix of Technic connections, balljoints, and excessive detail bits. What sets the CCBS apart was that it was designed as a modular, expandable system like the ones that have existed for Technic and System parts for years.

Wow, I wish I had your absolutely perfect manner of taking care of sets. Shut your mouth about things you don't know a thing about.

I cared for my parts. As soon as I had my FIRST part break, I took care to remove and attach parts with great care. Only attaching directly, removing directly, not too quick, not too slow. Guess what, genius? They STILL BROKE. It got to the point where I didn't risk disassembling sets with old joints AT ALL for risk of them breaking. For a toy that EXISTS to be built and rebuilt repeatedly, that's a colossal failure.

And guess what? Lego did not deny that the problem existed. In fact, they made sure to correct it with the CCBS, and the part designers have stated as much in conversation with the community. But then again, maybe Lego didn't treat their own products as gingerly as you did?

Many of your other complaints about CCBS are similarly ignorant and moronic, but I don't have the patience to deal with them right now. Your most recent assertion alone is enough to discredit you and I don't feel like putting forth the extra effort to beat that dead horse.

• Upvote 10

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Big, pre-fab nuggets of patchwork greebles, or a unified system with a centralised aesthetic which can be expanded upon if one wishes to? Boy, what a hard decision...

But no, both Systems certainly have their merits, but for me the CCBS's merits outweigh those of the "BBS". It's much easier to expand upon, and one doesn't have to be as concious about clashing textures - something which many G1-style MOCists and even set designers paid little to no attention to. Some G1 parts do work well with the CCBS however, such as weapons, heads and masks, various varieties of feet... and even Vorox armour!

Oh, and to those who say CCBS is only good for smaller, simplistic builds with very little Technic integration, I laugh at you. Twice.

Edited by Logan McOwen
  • Upvote 5

Big, pre-fab nuggets of patchwork greebles, or a unified system with a centralised aesthetic which can be expanded upon if one wishes to? Boy, what a hard decision...

But no, both Systems certainly have their merits, but for me the CCBS's merits outweigh those of the "BBS". It's much easier to expand upon, and one doesn't have to be as concious about clashing textures - something which many G1-style MOCists and even set designers paid little to no attention to. Some G1 parts do work well with the CCBS however, such as weapons, heads and masks, various varieties of feet... and even Vorox armour!

Oh, and to those who say CCBS is only good for smaller, simplistic builds with very little Technic integration, I laugh at you. Twice.

Thanks for the reference! 

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I'm not saying that G1 bionicle didn't have clashing textures (e.g. barraki armour), but I think that most G1 and HF sets had consistent textures on the sets themselves.

Recently, we've been seeing more noticable texture/design clases with CCBS - compare the new SW shoulder pads and shin guards with the standard CCBS shells. To a lesser extent, the new G2 piston add-on also deviates from the CCBS design language, and the new weapons have a G1 level of detail.

Edited by 32one

"Bionicle system" implies that the classic theme had any sort of organized and distinct building system. It didn't. It was always a slapdash mix of Technic connections, balljoints, and excessive detail bits. What sets the CCBS apart was that it was designed as a modular, expandable system like the ones that have existed for Technic and System parts for years.

Wow, I wish I had your absolutely perfect manner of taking care of sets. Shut your mouth about things you don't know a thing about.

I cared for my parts. As soon as I had my FIRST part break, I took care to remove and attach parts with great care. Only attaching directly, removing directly, not too quick, not too slow. Guess what, genius? They STILL BROKE. It got to the point where I didn't risk disassembling sets with old joints AT ALL for risk of them breaking. For a toy that EXISTS to be built and rebuilt repeatedly, that's a colossal failure.

And guess what? Lego did not deny that the problem existed. In fact, they made sure to correct it with the CCBS, and the part designers have stated as much in conversation with the community. But then again, maybe Lego didn't treat their own products as gingerly as you did?

Many of your other complaints about CCBS are similarly ignorant and moronic, but I don't have the patience to deal with them right now. Your most recent assertion alone is enough to discredit you and I don't feel like putting forth the extra effort to beat that dead horse.

So I voice a dissenting opinion and I am flat-out attacked for it: "Shut up... ignorant and moronic". 

Worse than that, Lyichir's post has eight upvotes! That's eight people agreeing, "Yup, let's personally insult this guy for putting his opinions out there!"

Did I attack any of you? Insult any of you? Be viciously sarcastic to any of you? Did I specifically call any of you out?

The answer, as far as I can tell, is no. I spoke strongly in favor of the old Bionicle system over what is in my opinion, a lackluster replacement (CCBS). I said CCBS was very bad, in my opinion. I did not say any demeaning things about my fellow forumgoers and posters who had differing thoughts. I did not outright (or subtly) insult anyone. I did not even insult or attack anyone else's views while expressing my own, however strong and differing they may be. I will admit my second post was a little bit snide, perhaps too much so, but it was by no means rude or blatantly hostile. I cannot understand how my words warranted such a harsh response and how the rest of the community has watched and condoned it. 

I'm very disappointed. 

And, for the record, I have not broken a single Bionicle piece. Ever. My "assertion... [that] discredits" me is simply my own experience. Lyichir, if you want to continue this argument, please do it via PM so it is not done in such a publicly humiliating and rude manner. 

• Upvote 2

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

So I voice a dissenting opinion and I am flat-out attacked for it: "Shut up... ignorant and moronic". 

Worse than that, Lyichir's post has eight upvotes! That's eight people agreeing, "Yup, let's personally insult this guy for putting his opinions out there!"

Did I attack any of you? Insult any of you? Be viciously sarcastic to any of you? Did I specifically call any of you out?

The answer, as far as I can tell, is no. I spoke strongly in favor of the old Bionicle system over what is in my opinion, a lackluster replacement (CCBS). I said CCBS was very bad, in my opinion. I did not say any demeaning things about my fellow forumgoers and posters who had differing thoughts. I did not outright (or subtly) insult anyone. I did not even insult or attack anyone else's views while expressing my own, however strong and differing they may be. I will admit my second post was a little bit snide, perhaps too much so, but it was by no means rude or blatantly hostile. I cannot understand how my words warranted such a harsh response and how the rest of the community has watched and condoned it. 

I'm very disappointed. 

And, for the record, I have not broken a single Bionicle piece. Ever. My "assertion... [that] discredits" me is simply my own experience. Lyichir, if you want to continue this argument, please do it via PM so it is not done in such a publicly humiliating and rude manner. 

I'm definitely in opposing opinion of Wazdakka, but I have to agree with him in this case. Totally unwarranted.

I'm very disappointed. 

I'm definitely in opposing opinion of Wazdakka, but I have to agree with him in this case. Totally unwarranted.

I agree. For shame. I thought this was a website were one can place an opinion without getting attacked by a well-known member.

Edited by Dunkleosteus-San
  • Upvote 2

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Lyichir has been talked to about his post. I even made a post in regards to it. That is my job. If you feel a post is made out of line with the rules, then you report it, something that not a single one of you did by the way.

Instead, you chose to publicly shame Lyichir for his post. After I addressed it.

All of you, find a better thing to get angry about than which decade a toy was better in. Next time I have to address this, Proto gets taken.

• Upvote 9

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

I guess that's the result of Hero Factory trying out a bunch of new head designs, continuously evolving away from the old stuff. 

• Upvote 1

I still don't understand what they were trying to accomplish with that:

Some variant of BIONICLE

CCBS with new head system

Same thing

CCBS with original heads

Completely new heads

Remember, most of the people that are buying these sets don't have the old Metru heads and stuff. Though, I wish they did attach in some way with an axle.

• Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Mask/head incompatibility isn't limited to CCBS.  A lot of older masks were made specifically for one head design and one head design only.  Beyond things like Glatorian heads vs. Toa heads, there were things like the Krana which don't fit any head other than the Mata head, not even the McToran head.  Or there's the, uh, Inika head, which was all sorts of unusual.

Hero Factory only introduced two new heads, the one used in the 2.0/3.0 waves and the Brain Attack one.  The first one seems like it was made specifically for the 2.0 wave, since after that it was only used in the Savage Planet wave, which could have easily used another head piece instead.  The Brain Attack head, however, is probably the most versatile head piece ever.  It has four axle holes, a socket, and a clip bar.  While this was necessary for the sets that needed the top-attached brain and the front-attached mask, the downside is that it has no facial features, which is probably why it wasn't used again.  The other waves used the preexisting Glatorian head piece, or no head piece in the case of the Invasion from Below sets.

The new BIONICLE head seems to be an attempt to get the best out of all the worlds.  The mask does not attach in the front, meaning it can have detailed facial features, nor does it attach to the top, allowing for the return of the translucent eye stalk.  The fact that it clips to the sides of the head means that it can be knocked off, either by hitting it or hitting the eye stalk.  So you get an expressive head with a built-in function that still allows masks to easily attach.  Plus, they're designed in such a way that the masks can clip onto other places, meaning that they can be used places other than just the head.

• Upvote 8

OpAXNpl.jpg

compare the new SW shoulder pads and shin guards with the standard CCBS shells

A terrible example; the SW pieces are smooth, which works fine with CCBS.

Just because they are both smooth, it doesn't mean that they follow the same design language.

The new SW pieces have noticeably curved surfaces with gentle, curved edges. They have an extremely minimalistic design.

The CCBS shells have almost perfectly flat surfaces, the edges are hard and consist of almost perfectly straight lines. They have some connection points, and stylistic (unnnecessary) detailing.

• Upvote 1

I prefer the CCBS. While I really like some of the older, really detailed parts, I think that the new and smooth shells can be used for a bigger variety of building styles. I'm also having more fun building with the CCBS, it feels like a really smooth process, if that makes any sense :P

• Upvote 2

Hail Denmark

compare the new SW shoulder pads and shin guards with the standard CCBS shells

A terrible example; the SW pieces are smooth, which works fine with CCBS.

Just because they are both smooth, it doesn't mean that they follow the same design language.

The new SW pieces have noticeably curved surfaces with gentle, curved edges. They have an extremely minimalistic design.

The CCBS shells have almost perfectly flat surfaces, the edges are hard and consist of almost perfectly straight lines. They have some connection points, and stylistic (unnnecessary) detailing.

Compared to how radical the stylistic differences between individual G1 Bionicle parts could be, that difference between the new Star Wars parts and other CCBS parts is extremely slight. In fact, the shape and texture of the new Star Wars parts is closer to the basic CCBS shells than most add-ons from the actual Bionicle and Hero Factory themes, which tend to have a lot more greebling and texture.

I think the new Star Wars parts are more than compatible enough visually to be used together with regular shells for different parts of the same model. And that's having seen the new Star Wars sets in person while I was on the Inside Tour. It's really not much different from how many LEGO System sets use straight slopes, curved slopes, and dome-shaped surfaces for different parts of the same model.

• Upvote 3

To me, the sharp angles, straight edges and smooth curves is fittingly consistent with the Clone Wars series. Particularly the Genndy Tartakovsky series, a style of animation that the current Bionicle web series I would gladly compare to.

EDIT: I keep reading this and wow it sounds pretentious

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 6

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

To me, the sharp angles, straight edges and smooth curves is fittingly consistent with the Clone Wars series. Particularly the Genndy Tartakovsky series, a style of animation that the current Bionicle web series I would gladly compare to.

Reading what?.

Reading what?.

His post. Generally Makaru is known for making hilarious jokes instead of in-depth analysis.

• Upvote 3

Reading what?.

His post. Generally Makaru is known for making hilarious jokes instead of in-depth analysis.

They didn't make him a forum leader for nothing. 

• Upvote 3

bZpOwEr

Reading what?.

Oh, thanks.