what is the significance of the added color to the masks the skull war

I haven't yet seen a topic about this pop up yet, and I just bought the new skull series sets, and have been wondering if this color change is important or will in any way play into the story. this is also a theory forum, so I would love to hear some theories as well. personally, I think the masks are now"tainted ",and it affects their personalities when they get it back.

check out my totally ORIGINAL youtube channel, Below Average Geeks!  I'm trying something different.its very small, so comments will be noticed and read.

just a poll.on a scale of one to ten, how likely are you to read a webcomic based on just this title: 'Neon Laser Dragons.'?

see these guys?

0VlbJ.gif  AjzI5.gif msLAB.gif cr1zz.gif

alrighty bros, listen up.

my lightning dragon is lonely.

click dis bebe dergen pls.

i know its dumb.

jus do it pls.for me, a'ight?

',:]

my Skrall--er, scroll.

I think that if there's any significance to it, they're being corrupted. Of course, that could mean a lot of different things - it could change their powers to evil ones, allow a Big Bad to mind control people like G1 infected masks, or affect the personality of the wearer like you said. It could also be that they're being drained of their power somehow.

~Unit#phntk#1

This also implies something about the trans-colours on the Protector masks; that they've been drained after years of being used as fuel for the elemental blasters. The first protectors must have had solid-colour masks, but the years of use without refresh/replacement has left them drained, like a slower version of what happens to the golden masks when the Skulls steal them.

• Upvote 4

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I have a feeling that the drained / corrupted effect is temporary, because in Kulta's character video the Golden Masks look normal and that is presumably later than when they get stolen.

I would guess that the partly transparent appearance is what the masks look like while they are being drained of elemental energy, as I would imagine that is something you are not supposed to do with a mask.

I was under the impression that the transparent colour on the Protector masks was to signify that they have a power, compared to the regular (powerless?) villager masks (also Ekimu's "death mask") which are shown as one colour in the animation.

:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

I was under the impression that the transparent colour on the Protector masks was to signify that they have a power, compared to the regular (powerless?) villager masks (also Ekimu's "death mask") which are shown as one colour in the animation.

They're half-trans because they have a power, yes, but I'm proposing the reason they're half-transparent is because they're powered masks that have been used over time. The regular masks didn't fade, and when the MM were still running, the powered masks were replaced/refilled before they faded.

• Upvote 1

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

They're half-trans because they have a power, yes, but I'm proposing the reason they're half-transparent is because they're powered masks that have been used over time. The regular masks didn't fade, and when the MM were still running, the powered masks were replaced/refilled before they faded.

But then that isn't the same situation as the "corrupted" Golden Masks, because it looks like they go back to normal when they are removed from the Skull Creatures.

If the Protector masks (or corrupted masks) are transparent from being drained over time (or rapidly), then you would expect them to stay transparent when removed. Or have I misunderstood?

• Upvote 1

But then that isn't the same situation as the "corrupted" Golden Masks, because it looks like they go back to normal when they are removed from the Skull Creatures.

If the Protector masks (or corrupted masks) are transparent from being drained over time (or rapidly), then you would expect them to stay transparent when removed. Or have I misunderstood?

The Skulls draw the element out forcefully, so they drain the masks quickly. The Protectors have drained the masks over generations and hundred of years. Either;

1) The Skulls forcibly drain the masks, but don't wear them long enough to make any permanent impact on the Mask's EE level.

2) The Toa have a reservoir of EE that tops up the masks upon retrieval.

I tend to think the first is more likely.

I have to say, I am beginning to come around to Regitnui's point of view on this. ;)

I recently re-read the preview of the start of the first book, and it describes Bingzak grabbing on to his mask (or something along those lines) when he gets into trouble, as if trying to activate its mask power. This suggests that either Bingzak misunderstood when he was taught about masks of power, or more probably that all / some non-Protector villagers' masks have powers. (This would explain where the many masks of power made in the Great Forge are now; they are being worn.)

This makes it clear that transparency in villager masks cannot merely represent "a power", as the animations imply that only the Protector masks are part-trans.

For whatever reason, the villagers with the elemental masks happen to perform a disproportionate amount of "protecting" compared to other villagers (maybe Protecting is more about the Elemental Blasters than mask powers), so it makes sense if the transparency is down to this difference in the amount of mask usage.

The thing I am open to suggestion about, however, is whether the transparency necessarily means the masks are (permanently) weaker, or contain less energy. (It seems a bit sad if it the case that eventually the masks will stop working... Did G1 have this happening?)

As we don't know for sure that the Skull Army draining masks is the same thing as them destroying masks, could a case be made that the part-trans is a purely aesthetic effect of draining (the power comes to the surface of the mask from repeated use) or even a power boost (the mask energy can now be accessed more rapidly)?

this whole situation seems to be starting to reek of a "the power was inside you all along"deal.

check out my totally ORIGINAL youtube channel, Below Average Geeks!  I'm trying something different.its very small, so comments will be noticed and read.

just a poll.on a scale of one to ten, how likely are you to read a webcomic based on just this title: 'Neon Laser Dragons.'?

see these guys?

0VlbJ.gif  AjzI5.gif msLAB.gif cr1zz.gif

alrighty bros, listen up.

my lightning dragon is lonely.

click dis bebe dergen pls.

i know its dumb.

jus do it pls.for me, a'ight?

',:]

my Skrall--er, scroll.

this whole situation seems to be starting to reek of a "the power was inside you all along"deal.

Less that and more training wheels for a bike; they don't need the Golden Masks, but their reservoirs are easier to use than the Masters' own.

• Upvote 2