Mask Shapes That Lie

Given that a Kanohi's power is tied to the underlying protodermis rather than its shape, is there a documented instance of a mask that was intentionally crafted to mislead based on its appearance?

Presumably the wearer can sense a mask's abilities immediately (see Kopaka acquiring his Hau), so they wouldn't be tricked for long, but is there any value in deceiving others? Has it ever been done?

• Upvote 1

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6

I always thought Krakua's mask was meant to be that way - its looks like a Hau, concealing the fact that he can read your mind.

That is brilliant. Perfect way of explaining away the restrictions of it being a fan-made set.

Well Gali Mistika's mask doesn't really look like a diving/underwater breathing mask when looked at(not counting the 02 nuva and the 01 kaukau mata versions)

The Adaptive Mask of Water Breathing is a unique mask, so it doesn't really apply here. The topic starter is talking about masks forged in the shape of other masks, to hide their power.

This isn't really the same concept, either, but the Toa Hagah wore Kanohi Masks forged in the shapes of the masks of past heroes, but had different powers*.

*Sometimes. Norik wore a Pehkui in the shape of a Kiril; Iruini wore a regular Kualsi forged in honor of a past Kualsi-wearer.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I always thought Krakua's mask was meant to be that way - its looks like a Hau, concealing the fact that he can read your mind.

That is brilliant. Perfect way of explaining away the restrictions of it being a fan-made set.

Well Gali Mistika's mask doesn't really look like a diving/underwater breathing mask when looked at(not counting the 02 nuva and the 01 kaukau mata versions)

The Adaptive Mask of Water Breathing is a unique mask, so it doesn't really apply here. The topic starter is talking about masks forged in the shape of other masks, to hide their power.

This isn't really the same concept, either, but the Toa Hagah wore Kanohi Masks forged in the shapes of the masks of past heroes, but had different powers*.

*Sometimes. Norik wore a Pehkui in the shape of a Kiril; Iruini wore a regular Kualsi forged in honor of a past Kualsi-wearer.

Krakua seems like a great example, actually. Hadn't considered him at all.

Totally forgot about Norik's Pehkui too. Wasn't made for deceptive purposes, of course, but it could have that effect. Granted, when everybody lives for 100,000 years, I imagine that word generally gets around when a mask is an impostor.

• Upvote 2

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6

I don't think anyone besides the Order of Mata Nui would do so to mislead, because they bend the rules anyways. Most Toa with different mask molds have them to "honor" someone they once knew. Does that lead to being mislead in battle at times? I'd think so. But most Toa would probably consider it dishonorable or not in line with the Toa code.

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Yes, Norik's was I believe. It was honorary, but I do recall at some point he acknowledged the fact that it was misleading as well.  

“We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives. And that's okay. That's good. You gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."

-The Doctor

Yes, Norik's was I believe. It was honorary, but I do recall at some point he acknowledged the fact that it was misleading as well.  

I think that all of the Toa Hagahs' masks were crafted after the masks of old heroes. It might be a coincidence that the one Iruini wanted to honor had the same mask as him. 

• Upvote 1

bZpOwEr

I think that all of the Toa Hagahs' masks were crafted after the masks of old heroes. It might be a coincidence that the one Iruini wanted to honor had the same mask as him. 

Iruini's wasn't in the shape of another hero's to honor them, it was the same type as the hero's to honor them.

Like with Jaller, Lhikan, and the Hau. Of sorts.

Iruini's wasn't in the shape of another hero's to honor them, it was the same type as the hero's to honor them.

But if that's the case, Norik's Pehkui would be a Kiril, but it's not. 

Edited by Irrie: The Loremaster

bZpOwEr

Iruini was wearing a Kualsi to honor another hero who wore a Kualsi.

Norik was wearing a Pehkui in the shape of a Kiril to honor a hero who wore a Kiril.

The rest of the Toa Hagah followed suit after Norik.

Iruini's the oddball.

Norik was wearing a Pehkui in the shape of a Kiril to honor a hero who wore a Kiril.

Iruini's the oddball.

That's what I was trying to say. 

But since we don't know the mask shapes of the other Toa Hagah, we can't determine if there are any other oddballs in the group. 

bZpOwEr

Iruini's the oddball.

But since we don't know the mask shapes of the other Toa Hagah, we can't determine if there are any other oddballs in the group. 

True.

Iruini's the oddball.

True.

Yeah, I don't think it's even been stated whether Norik or Iruini was the oddball Hagah.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think there's any confirmed case of this. While masks can be forged into any shape, no instance of this we've seen is confirmed to be trickery (and in the case of Norik, it's confirmed to NOT be trickery).

However, i did have a similar theory about Umbra once: he wears a powerless mask in the shape of a Great Ruru. I thought that maybe he wore it in order to trick intruders into thinking he was dependent on his mask (the way that Matoran, Toa, and Turaga are) and waste all their energy trying to knock it off.

• Upvote 1

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water