LEGO Lifts Lid on 10249 Winter Toy Shop

10249_Winter_Toy_Shop_Reveal_teaser.jpg

Christmas may be several months away, but August is the time when LEGO traditionally unveils its new Winter Village set for the year, and this year is no different. What is different is that this year is something of a re-release. If you missed 10199 Winter Village Toy Shop back in 2009 then you're in luck, because this year's set - 10249 Winter Toy Shop - is an updated version of that model. With more minifigs, more toys, and more details, the new set really takes things up a notch, and can provide you with a good reason to retire your now six year old set. The Winter Toy Shop will be available to VIP members starting on September 16th and everyone else on October 1st. To check out the Designer Video, high resolution pictures, and the full press release, read on!

View the full article

• Upvote 1

LEGO just redesigned one of the previous toy shops.

- Two Skiing kids

- Extremely similar house design

- Two carolers

- Three toys, including toy car and jack-in-the-box

- Bench

I mean come on LEGO, you can do better than this. At least give us a reason to not go buy the other older set which had more in it.

• Upvote 2

I mean come on LEGO, you can do better than this. At least give us a reason to not go buy the other older set which had more in it.

I said in the article that this is a redesign. The new set certainly has more than the old, with an additional minifigure and some more toys, at the very least. Plus it's good for people who missed the first one.
  • Upvote 1

Does anyone else find this picture disturbing? When I look at it, I can't help but think that someone killed a Jester and mounted his head on a stick. But maybe that's just me....

Anyways, it's cool that this set is getting an upgraded version of its original model. I didn't get the 09 set, so this could be a good chance for me to get it this year.

Edited by Toa Smoke Monster
  • Upvote 5

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I said in the article that this is a redesign. The new set certainly has more than the old, with an additional minifigure and some more toys, at the very least. Plus it's good for people who missed the first one.

Missed that.

Well... At least they're using a good design. I just hope it's not as pricey.

• Upvote 1

Missed that.

The price is US $79.99 / CA $99.99 / DE 69.99€ / UK £59.99 / DK 599.00 DKK. You can read the full press release in the news story.

• Upvote 1

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Does anyone else find this picture disturbing? When I look at it, I can't help but think that someone killed a Jester and mounted his head on a stick. But maybe that's just me....

Yeah, when I was going through the pictures I felt like I had to highlight the slightly disturbing nature of that image. This is what running BZPower for almost a decade does to you, people.

Missed that.

The price is US $79.99 / CA $99.99 / DE 69.99€ / UK £59.99 / DK 599.00 DKK. You can read the full press release in the news story.

Which, at least in the US, is $20 more than the $59.99 price tag on the original. You get 898 pieces versus 815 in the original though, and you also need to take inflation into account. Yes, it's more, and that sucks, but I feel like the original was very inexpensive and the pricing on this one seems like it fits better. We'd all love cheaper LEGO sets, but the company does have to make money.
  • Upvote 2

- Two Skiing kids

- Two carolers

- Bench

We already have a perfectly good reason not to go buy the older set. The reason is that it's discontinued, and the aftermarket prices are upwards of $140. Granted, they might go down now, since demand will shrink due to the new version being available as an alternative. But if the redesign hadn't come out then the aftermarket prices would have just continued to climb.

The really weird thing is that I see fans asking all the time why LEGO can't re-release fan favorite sets like Cafe Corner, Green Grocer, or the Ultimate Collector's Series Millennium Falcon. Even in the Bionicle fan community I see people asking why LEGO can't just re-release the original Toa Mata from 2001. And yet now when LEGO re-releases an extremely popular set, they get blasted on every fansite I've visited for being lazy and unoriginal. Hmm.

• Upvote 5

- Two Skiing kids

- Two carolers

- Bench

We already have a perfectly good reason not to go buy the older set. The reason is that it's discontinued, and the aftermarket prices are upwards of $140. Granted, they might go down now, since demand will shrink due to the new version being available as an alternative. But if the redesign hadn't come out then the aftermarket prices would have just continued to climb.

The really weird thing is that I see fans asking all the time why LEGO can't re-release fan favorite sets like Cafe Corner, Green Grocer, or the Ultimate Collector's Series Millennium Falcon. Even in the Bionicle fan community I see people asking why LEGO can't just re-release the original Toa Mata from 2001. And yet now when LEGO re-releases an extremely popular set, they get blasted on every fansite I've visited for being lazy and unoriginal. Hmm.

Also let's not forget that they released a recolour of a Bionicle set at the same time as the original. I don't think I saw many (if any) people complaining about the yellow Jetrax or Lego's "laziness". :v

• Upvote 1

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

Also let's not forget that they released a recolour of a Bionicle set at the same time as the original. I don't think I saw many (if any) people complaining about the yellow Jetrax or Lego's "laziness". :v

Well, to be fair, I don't think people saw that as taking the place of an entirely new design. If Target didn't have the yellow Jetrax it's easy to conclude they just would have had the blue Jetrax, and if they still got an exclusive it might have just been a recolor of another set. By comparison, the Winter Village sets are a series where people are used to getting EXACTLY one new design each year, so people who already have the Toy Shop sort of feel like they're being "cheated" out of a new design.

On the subject of the yellow Jetrax, I wouldn't have minded if instead of it we had gotten a version of Takanuva with all the Dark Grey Metallic parts swapped for Warm Gold, to represent his normal colors. But if LEGO was working with a limited budget that might not have been realistic. The yellow Jetrax basically only needed one recolor (the shield/wing pieces from Bitil and Onua). The other yellow parts in that set were already available in other Technic sets. By comparison, a gold Takanuva would have needed four new recolors (the shield element, Takadox head, thigh shells, and mask).

• Upvote 3

Well I, for one, am happy with this re-release. I missed everything prior to last year's set due to lack of funds or other sets (e.g. Bionicle) taking precedence. I'm hoping that there will be a re-release of the Post Office at some point.

- Two Skiing kids

- Two carolers

- Bench

No the difference is the Winter Village sets are a nice way to keep adding to a growing Winter Town each year- people were expecting a new Winter Village set to add to their collection and instead have a slight rehash, which many serous collectors of winter themed sets already have. That would be the difference, and why there is an outcry over this. 

- Two Skiing kids

- Two carolers

- Bench

No the difference is the Winter Village sets are a nice way to keep adding to a growing Winter Town each year- people were expecting a new Winter Village set to add to their collection and instead have a slight rehash, which many serous collectors of winter themed sets already have. That would be the difference, and why there is an outcry over this. 

Two of the sets Aanchir listed are modular buildings, which work pretty much the same way, correct? The idea is that you keep adding to it? If people cry for re-releases of modular buildings but complain about a re-release of a Winter Village set, it still seems a little contradictory.

Also, keep in mind that the serious collectors are not the only market they have to think of (in fact, from what I usually hear, serious collectors make up a small fraction of any toy's sales). There are obviously, judging by comments I've read, a decent number of people who didn't buy the original, and who welcome this opportunity to buy a tweaked rerelease of it.

Of course, I don't claim to know the exacts of LEGO's thinking here. Maybe they didn't have the resources for a new Winter Village set, maybe Winter Village has been slowly turning unprofitable so it just wasn't worth the resources, maybe they didn't get their idea ready in time, or maybe they just wanted to. Who knows? I find it incredibly ridiculous, however, that everyone's immediate claim is that LEGO's just doing it out of laziness, especially when it comes from entitled AFOLs who are insulted that LEGO isn't catering to them specifically.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, when I was going through the pictures I felt like I had to highlight the slightly disturbing nature of that image. This is what running BZPower for almost a decade does to you, people.

This was all I could think about when I saw the article too. It's a weird combination of macabre and humor, with a guy holding a head on a stick with a huge smile like that...

~B~

The LEGO CEE Team has provided the following comment on some of the questions and feedback that this set has brought up:

The Winter Village Toy Shop, our first set in the Winter Village series, was a huge hit with fans when it launched in 2009 and we are excited to announce the Winter Village Toy Shop is back. Our designers have made several updates including adding some new printed details, additional bricks and elements along with a new minifigure. This 2015 version offers a great building experience to both those fans who have the original set, and those who may be new to the Winter Village series. This is not an indication of any future re-release or set updates.