Bfa Plays

Bfahome

So it looks like the second half of this series is now almost halfway over, with the only remaining levels being the three remaining Titan boss levels, the three remaining Piraka boss levels, and of course the final level against Vezon.

Also, seeing that brief mention near the end of this episode about the bonus things there are to purchase for the Piraka Playground, I wonder if you'll be showing any of them in future episodes. I seem to recall that you did show one of them once back in the first half of the series, so I'm just curious if you plan on any more.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

• 2 weeks later...

From all the times I used to play this game, I knew that each level always had points where you would not be permitted to go back, either riding a vehicle, going down a ledge, doors closing behind you, or a big pile of rocks coming down behind you.

This particular level happens to be the only Titan boss level where you actually have to hit your opponent continuously from start to finish, rather than relying on gold constractions to do most of the work for you. Of course, with the only gold constraction not available until late in the battle, you'll inevitably spend most of that battle in hero mode.

• 2 weeks later...

If I remember correctly, this particular level has the highest amount of pieces to collect out of any other level, maxing out at somewhere between 250,000 and 300,000 (I can't remember a more specific amount, but I know it's somewhere in that range). So it doesn't really surprise me that, after accessing every area (with the obvious exception of the Vezon constraction), you got quite a lot of those pieces.

• 2 weeks later...

So it looks like now all that's left to go are the four remaining Piraka boss fights. By the way, I'd like to mention that, back when you did the first half of this game, I had suggested that after defeating and thus unlocking each Piraka, you should show us some gameplay of each unlocked Piraka in action such as demonstrating what their respective weapons can do. Are you going to do this again with the rest of the Piraka? (Keep in mind, once the final Piraka, Vezon, has been unlocked, he will replace all the other Piraka, so be sure to show us the other Piraka before attempting the final level.)

• 2 weeks later...

Reidak's Bastion is a rather unique level. It is the only level (except the very last one against Vezon) to have no gold constractions at all, which means no Hero Mode at any point in this level, meaning the only way to beat Reidak is to just keep hitting him. It is also the only Piraka boss level to have a Vezon constraction (so theoretically, this is the only Piraka boss level that must be repeated at least once if you wish to reach 100% completion).

As for playing as Reidak, I recall his weapon being my least favorite of all the Piraka weapons in this game. While it's good at sweeping the ground, it's impossible to hit any flying targets, as the projectiles always fall before reaching the target.

• 2 weeks later...

Zaktan's weapon was one of my favorites of the Piraka in this game. For the record, the ammunition really is the blades from his three-bladed weapon. (I used a rather interesting technique to see the shots from the side. Basically, have your character stand right up against a wall or solid structure and face that obstruction as you fire your weapon. The result is the shots being instantly deflected off to the side, allowing you to see from the side what you are firing, especially if the weapon is a rapid-firing type.)

And yes, all the Piraka have just one idle animation (I've tried it myself and can confirm that's true of all seven Piraka), but it's certainly a very funny one, in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that of all the Piraka weapons in this game, Hakann's is the one that come closest to canon (in this case, his Lava Launcher); slow rate of fire with a lot of damage.

Well, looks like there's now only Vezon's level left to go. Does that mean there will be literally only one more episode left until this video series is finished? I was wondering if you might also show us some of the stuff in the Piraka Playground, including the three "Bonus Levels".

Also, are you going to be playing some other Lego games after you're finished with Bionicle Heroes? If so, the one I'd personally like to see would be Lego Dimensions, if that's at all possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for double posting, but I just realized I forgot to mention something you may want to know before you get to the final level against Vezon. After you finish that level, let the game credits roll through, because I recall that near the end of those credits, BZPower itself and some certain members are actually included (though I can't recall exactly which members are mentioned). Definitely be sure to let us see that when you make the next episode.

Final level!

That'll do it for the game, but I have one more related episode planned for later this month.  After that, I'm not sure if I'll continue the series or not.  I don't have LEGO Dimensions, nor do I have a platform to play it on, so that's not an option.  I do have the LEGO Harry Potter games, but I'll have to see how that would work out to do so.  Still hoping to come across my copy of LEGO Loco one of these days, though.

OpAXNpl.jpg

As far as I can recall, the only content left of this game you have not yet shown us (aside from the rest of the collectibles and Piraka Playground content) would be the three bonus levels (which can be accessed inside a second tunnel at the far end of the Piraka Playground). Of course, you'll need to purchase these levels before you can actually access them, and all they really are is a small area where you try to take out as many enemies as you can within two minutes (Bohrok in the first, Visorak in the second, and Vakhi in the third). It's an excellent way to quickly earn those achievements for defeating a certain amount of enemies, such as 1000 Bohrok or 500 Vakhi.

Also in the Piraka Playground, if the Piraka are getting in the way through the middle tunnel, you could just shoot them and they'll start running away. If you shoot them while they're out in one of the two open areas, they'll get angry and chase after you (which I find to be quite funny).

And lastly, once you reach 100% game completion, there's a short video of Balta thanking Toa Nuparu for saving Voya Nui, followed by another run of the credits.

Okay, now for whatever might be next. I kinda had a feeling you may not have access to Lego Dimensions, but I just wanted to ask to be sure of that. The Lego Harry Potter games are among the many Lego Games I have on my Steam account, and since I intend to one day get around to playing all of those games, I suppose I wouldn't mind seeing you try them. The only issue I foresee is that, since both Harry Potter games came out at a time when Lego games had no dialogue, it can be difficult to understand what's going on for those who haven't read the books or seen the movies. (I've seen the first six movies, but not the last two, which I hope to eventually get around to seeing before I attempt to play the relevant Lego game.)

I just remembered something else I wanted to mention. At the end of Vezon's Awakening, there are actually two versions of the final cutscene. The one we saw in the video here is shown if you decide to just wait a few seconds before Vezon simply sinks into the lava. The alternate version plays if you shoot him before those few seconds pass, and that cutscene is exactly the same as the first, except with an additional bit where right after his head sinks down, he then waves his arm around and gives a thumbs-up (which I've heard is a reference to Terminator).

Also, it just recently occurred to me that Bionicle Heroes came out in November 2006, which means the ten-year anniversary of its release was just a few months ago. That could've been a perfect opportunity to mention that in one of the last few episodes. Oh well, at least I remembered to make note of it here.

I remember playing the demo back in 2006, before the actual game came out. I recall my experience with it being a little different than what we saw in this latest video. First, I'm very sure that the game speed was the same as the full game, but that could be because the computer I used back then was slower than the one you are using now (a similar issue I've seen trying to play Mata Nui Online Game on today's computers). Second, you certainly noticed issues with the collecting a mask but it would occasionally just sit on the Toa's head sideways and not activate for some time, which for me I recalled seeing much more frequently. I do recall that this level had all the cutscenes the version in the full game had, so I'm not sure why your version of the demo leaves out the ones with Piraka Vezok (and also the part where you finish the level by collecting the Rahkshi's head like a mask). There were of course some differences in graphics and sounds (for example, Kongu's weapon sounds more like a wind gust in the demo and more like a laser shot in the full game). Also, Hero Mode being temporary and needing to be manually activated was certainly the one thing about the demo that I thought was better than the full game. And finally, there was the "collect 100,000 pieces to become a true Toa" feature that we've seen in just about every Lego game that has come out since then, which the final game apparently reworked into a system where, based on how many pieces you collected, you would get an award for completing the level at ranks of standard, bronze, silver, and gold (with gold rank on all of them needed for 100% game completion).

Well, that sure was an interesting episode to watch. I'll definitely be looking forward to see what else you might have for us next.

I'm not sure why your version of the demo leaves out the ones with Piraka Vezok

It had it, I just chose to leave it out because I always start episodes with the hero view (but there's no Matoran Enclave this time) and the cutscene was messed up because of the animation/audio sync anyway.

OpAXNpl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well would you look at that it's a new game.

I was sort of getting my bearings in this one.  It might take a bit for me to figure out what exactly is vital to passing the level and what's just extra filler stuff.  Hopefully I can cut down on the aimless wandering in the next episode.

OpAXNpl.jpg

The way I see it, just about every Lego game that has come out since just after Bionicle Heroes has largely the same mechanics. Complete levels by switching to certain characters who can do certain abilities, smashing breakable objects to collect studs (I wonder why you didn't do that at all in this episode), as well as some bonus items to collect with many of them reachable only with other characters that can only be used in freeplay mode.

Among "Let's Play" videos I've seen of other people playing these Lego games, one thing that tends to happen a lot is the player might get confused on what to do next and could end up spending many minutes just wandering around aimlessly without a clue on how to advance. If you would rather just get through the levels rather quickly and not bother with any exploring or collecting bonus items, then perhaps you might consider taking a look at the list of guides for many Lego games that I had posted a link to near the beginning of the Twitch Tuesday topic (or would you rather I just post that link in this topic, too?).

Also, this particular episode apparently had some video lagging issues. If I remember correctly, it's appears to be not much different from the issues you had with the earlier episodes of playing Bionicle: the Game. I also recall that you eventually found a solution to the video lagging issues, so you might want to consider trying the same thing for this game as soon as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure what happened that caused the recording lag last episode, possibly something I left running in the background, but I didn't see any this time around.

re: guides, I don't plan on looking at walkthroughs because I want the game experience to be real.

Anyway, here's the next episode.

No real outro because I'm splitting up episodes based on cutscene placement and there wasn't any indication that one was coming.

OpAXNpl.jpg

To me, it seemed like this episode was not an actual level, but rather advancing through the hub area in order to reach the start of the next level. A lot of Lego games over the past decade seem to do that. I'm assuming that for this particular game, if you're able to collect golden bricks and character icons, then you're in the hub area (probably all of Hogwarts) and not in an actual level. I guess the reason you have to clear some obstacles in the hub area to reach the next level is so that you could familiarize yourself with using new characters and abilities (in the case of this episode, learning the spell of Wingardium Leviosa). And it looks like there are empty slots that could eventually allow you to switch between different spells, so it's nice to see this game has some unique features of its own.

As for the guides, I agree that I like to keep things a little bit of a surprise, so I was only offering them in the event you got stuck somewhere and needed a little help. At least, that how I intend to use these guides when I eventually get around to playing these Lego games myself.

Edited by Chronicler06

• 2 weeks later...

This game is already looking quite peculiar. Not only are there spells to learn, but also potions and even spell enhancements or something like that. I'm honestly starting to have a little difficulty trying to keep track of it all (definitely will have to keep this in mind once I eventually get around to playing this game myself).

However, another thing that confuses me is just how much difficulty you seem to have just figuring out what the controls are. Maybe you might want to consider looking through the game's manual, if you happen to have it. (That's what I would do if I wanted to figure out a game's controls.)

I did get a nice kick out of those captions you added regarding the video lag. Let's just hope future episodes won't be quite as problematic.

However, another thing that confuses me is just how much difficulty you seem to have just figuring out what the controls are. Maybe you might want to consider looking through the game's manual, if you happen to have it. (That's what I would do if I wanted to figure out a game's controls.)

It's not that I can't figure them out, it's just that sometimes I forget which action I have bound to which button.  A consequence of only playing for half an hour every couple of weeks and being new to this style of game.

(Also it doesn't help that some of the controls are contextual and do different things in different places.  Why you do, game?)

OpAXNpl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed that for a lot of Lego games these days, the button for switching between characters is also the button for getting in or out of vehicles, so if you're still struggling to figure out your controls, at least that'll be helpful to keep in mind.

By the way, I've noticed that this game is built quite a bit differently than most Lego games I've seen. Some examples: there's a lot more to do in the hub area than simply going between levels; the actual levels are few and short; in the levels, you collect shield quarters instead of minikits; you unlock characters by collecting icons in both the levels and the hub area, rather than simply completing a level and then needing to purchase most of them. Interestingly, this game structure is similar to that of Lego City Undercover (I watched some videos of that game over the past week), so I guess this means that some Lego games are similar only to certain others, but not all of them are the same.

Edited by Chronicler06

• 2 weeks later...

If I've been counting correctly, there have now been four actual levels so far (so that's not counting the parts of running around the hub areas and learning new skills). Seeing as we're still going through the events of the first movie, I'm starting to wonder how many levels there will be for each movie. I guess we'll know for sure once we reach the events of the second movie.

There's about six per film, if I recall correctly.

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

• 2 weeks later...

I guess the absence of dialogue makes it easier for the events from the movies to be reinterpreted in a different way for the Lego games (like making it more appropriate for sensitive audiences, as you mentioned with the inclusion of the unicorn in this level). Thankfully, I've seen the first movie enough times to remember well what actually happened. (Of course, at some point, I'll have to eventually watch the last two movies so that, once I've finally seen the entire series, I won't end up confused on any part of these games.)

I guess the absence of dialogue makes it easier for the events from the movies to be reinterpreted in a different way for the Lego games (like making it more appropriate for sensitive audiences, as you mentioned with the inclusion of the unicorn in this level). Thankfully, I've seen the first movie enough times to remember well what actually happened. (Of course, at some point, I'll have to eventually watch the last two movies so that, once I've finally seen the entire series, I won't end up confused on any part of these games.)

Yeah, Lego/Telltale definitely took advantage of that. Even in the games where they incorporated dialogue from films they were usually pretty clever about finding work arounds.

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

• 2 weeks later...

This Lego game is definitely taking its creative liberties. Of all the Harry Potter movies, I've seen the first one more than any of the others, and I certainly recall details such as Quirrell not being revealed as the villain until the very end when Harry arrived at the final room with the mirror. In addition, Harry was alone when he got there, with Hermione staying behind to look after the injured Ron, and we see those events play out differently here because Lego games must always have at least two playable characters available to permit two-player co-op. Though I did enjoy the additional humor between the pieces of that life-sized chess board.

By the way, I've just noticed that there's no music playing during the gameplay portions, and if I remember correctly, that wasn't the case at least on the very first episode of this video series. Did you have to do the same as B6 for his Twitch Tuesday streams by switching off the music so you could keep the full audio on YouTube? If so, I understand, though I still dislike it because it feels to me like it ruins the full experience. (Good thing I plan on one day plaything through all of these Lego games, so I will get that full experience eventually.)

I'm honestly a little surprised that you found the credits sequence to be "weird". From what I've seen so far of other Lego games, that's actually pretty standard (including the Tt Games logo at the end, at least at the time this game was made). Basically, a lot of the earlier Lego games tended to span multiple movies in a franchise, such as Star Wars, so you'll always see a credits sequence at the end of each "movie", even if you're only partway through the entire game. On a more positive note, as least you were able to find out how to access all the levels to play them again later (even though I doubt you'll actually do that, but its a nice reference for those of us who wish to go for 100% completion).

Edited by Chronicler06

• 2 weeks later...