Bfa Plays

Bfahome

Sounds to me like it can be difficult to explain things like story content while also trying to do stuff in the game. And depending on the timing and kind of interruptions you encounter, that could also make it a little difficult for us to understand what it is you're trying to tell us. Perhaps it my not be such a bad idea to simply have the characters just stand around for a few seconds while you quickly explain the story content of the previous cutscene or two.

Anyway, nice to see we're now starting on Year 2. Since the first game covers Years 1 to 4, that means we're now over a quarter finished with the game. Four movies, six levels per movie (so that's a total of 24 levels), with additional stuff to do in the hub area, I think it's pretty clear that these older Lego games were a lot more time-consuming than the recent ones, which typically have only 15 story levels, although there's still certainly plenty to do in the hub areas.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, yes, those annoying things, I certainly remember that from the second movie. At least they give you the ability to shatter glass in this game. (Apparently, a lot of Lego games have, among other abilities, using sonic powers to shatter glass.)

It seems there's quite a lot of other things to do that doesn't necessarily involve following the trail to continue the story, so I guess that explains why this week's episode was so long. Just a lot of wandering around with no level content this time, interestingly at the same point as you were going through Year 1. I wonder if this trend will continue.

Ah, yes, those annoying things, I certainly remember that from the second movie. At least they give you the ability to shatter glass in this game. (Apparently, a lot of Lego games have, among other abilities, using sonic powers to shatter glass.)

It seems there's quite a lot of other things to do that doesn't necessarily involve following the trail to continue the story, so I guess that explains why this week's episode was so long. Just a lot of wandering around with no level content this time, interestingly at the same point as you were going through Year 1. I wonder if this trend will continue.

I actually recorded this and the next episode in one go because these early bits didn't seem to have any definitive conclusion and I ended up with 50+ minutes of gameplay.  So I went back and chose a decent spot to split it so I didn't have a huge marathon episode.

OpAXNpl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Shame to see yet another video with lag issues. At least it was good that you included a caption near the beginning to let us know that this is just how the video turned out and not some issue trying to watch the video. Aside from that, I find it interesting to see certain things in this game that were never featured in the movies (though I'm not sure about the books, as I've never read any of them). In this case, I honestly never knew that Dobby was the one behind that rogue bludger.

Edited by Chronicler06

• 2 weeks later...

It sure was nice of you to skip over 10 or 15 minutes worth of content where you're really doing nothing but wandering around struggling to figure out what to do next. I guess that's a real benefit of a pre-recorded video over a live-stream. Anyway, it's always nice to see what other kinds of new abilities are always being unlocked as you progress through the game. Oh, by the way, I noticed that the start of the latest video is mislabeled as "episode 9" when it should be "episode 11", so you might want to fix that, if possible.

Oh, by the way, I noticed that the start of the latest video is mislabeled as "episode 9" when it should be "episode 11", so you might want to fix that, if possible.

Ugh the first thing I did was change it but I guess it reverted when iMovie crashed.  laaaaaame

OpAXNpl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I can see why the first part of the level can be rather dull and frustrating, especially for those who are completely new to the game. Five doors, repeat four times, all with incredibly fast reflexes. And in the second half, some more skipping ahead of wandering around in confusion, complete with some admittedly funny editing to emphasize your frustration. Let's just hope you won't have such rotten luck again in any more of the upcoming levels (though considering the past frequency of such incidents, it's probably going to be expected yet again at some point eventually).

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see you didn't seem to have much difficulty this time. Also, it was interesting to see the vehicle portion of this level, especially since there was not only the car but also a scooter too (probably so that you could always have the option of two-player co-op mode available at all times).

• 2 weeks later...

If the gameplay seemed fine to you, then I think it's fair to say the issue is with whatever recording program you use. The lag seemed especially problematic in the later half of the video, with much of the cutscenes having only the audio proving that the video was even playing at all.

Anyway, Year 2 is now completed, so that's halfway done the first of the two Lego Harry Potter games. Now it's on to Year 3. (Of the Harry Potter movies I have seen, the third one was my favorite.)

• 2 weeks later...

Quite a lot of cutscenes in the first level of Year 3. At least there doesn't seem to be any lag issues at all this time. Not much else I can think of to say, but like I said, Year 3 is my favorite in the Harry Potter series, so I'll definitely be looking forward to seeing what the next few levels of this game will be like.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, that sure was quite the mistake, making some progress only to discover that it didn't record properly. I remember a few months ago watching one person's play-through of Lego City Undercover and he had at one point failed to save his latest recording. (Even though he chose to simply continue in spite of this meaning there would be some content missing, it was not too much of a problem for me because I had already seen another person's play-through of that game, so I already knew about what ended up missing.)

At least it was nice that you decided to go through all of the previous progress all over again for the sake of making sure we got to see everything. And based on what you said as you progressed through this episode, it sounds like this could've ended up as two episodes due to how long it apparently took you to figure things out. (If I'm not mistaken, that's also what happened at this point going through Years 1 and 2, a lot of extra stuff between the first and second levels. So I guess this means one less episode than anticipated for this series.)

• 2 weeks later...

A little shorter than usual, but that could be thanks to not getting stuck a lot this time. That map was one of my favorite parts of the third movie, and I liked seeing how this game actually had it serve a function by showing where other characters are if you can't directly see them.

By the way, when I checked yesterday, the latest episode was not in the playlist, so you might want to check to make sure if it's actually there.

• 2 weeks later...

It's nice that you're sharing some details that probably were not mentioned in the movies (such as how Harry's dad was apparently good friends with Lupin and Sirius Black and had spent time together in that old house seen in this episode) for those of us who haven't read the books.

As for this episode, I liked seeing the various funny background hints of what we'll probably see in the next episode, like a certain someone disguised as a scarecrow. Also, since the characters can't speak in this game, it was amusing to see how Lupin showed moving pictures to explain how Peter Petigrew wasn't destroyed but rather turned into a rat.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm honestly a little surprised that it was even possible for one bit of player error to make a level impossible to complete. Thankfully, it was just the level and not in the hub area, so it was just a simple matter of staring over and playing through that level again. I guess this is an issue seen only in some of the earlier Lego games. (And it wasn't even the first record you had dropped into the water. I noticed there were two of those black ones, and the first one you found ended up in that pit that later filled with water. At least those two black records were likely only for a bonus item and not completing the level itself.)

By the way, I think this was the final level for Year 3, so I guess I'm a little curious why you decided to end the episode right on the end of the level without showing the final cutscenes that come after. I guess you'll be showing us that in the next episode, so it's probably not that big of a deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Well as it turns out there's a bit of a problem with the next level, in that there are multiple points where the game just freezes and crashes.  So next episode won't be until Dec 5th, and that's if I can find a workaround.

Edited by Bfahome

OpAXNpl.jpg

That's quite a shame. I remember reading somewhere once that the Lego Harry Potter games have some bugs or glitches that could possibly make it difficult or even impossible to complete the game. I don't remember the details of what I read, but I sure hope this isn't one of those things that could ruin the whole game. (After all, I plan on eventually playing these games myself sometime soon, so it would be nice to know ahead of time if I should be worried about any such glitches.)

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, so there was actually one more level left for Year 3? I guess I simply lost count. Anyway, glad that you eventually managed to get past the part that kept crashing (and thanks for pointing out where it kept happening, so let's hope I won't face a similar issue once I eventually get around to playing this game). So now it's just the levels of Year 4 left to go, then that'll be it for the first Lego Harry Potter game (though I do find it rather odd that you've been using the cover of the second game for this series of videos).

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to say about this one. Some funny moments in the cutscenes, and rather interesting what you have to do in this level. At least you didn't seem to have much trouble at all this time, so I guess that's good.

• 2 weeks later...

The lack of dialogue in these particular games sure does make it a little difficult at times to understand the exposition for those who have not seen the movies (or read the books). At least the new potion to learn didn't take too long this time, so at least you had time to also go through another level.

On a personal note, I'm now finally starting to play through all the Lego games I've purchased on Steam. It's nice that this series you're doing has helped me to have a glimpse of what to expect once I try this game myself. (In fact, I'm planning on playing both of the Lego Harry Potter games next, once I finish with Lego Pirates of the Caribbean, which I've started only a couple days ago.)

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen almost every Lego game have, among the different types of obstacles, silver objects that can only be destroyed by something explosive, and it seems in this episode that even the Harry Potter game is no exception to this. In addition, I've noticed that the selection wheel for the different spells now apparently has all eight slots filled in, so it seems that you really are starting to get close to the very end of this game (just three more levels left to go now).

By the way, once you've finished with Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4, are you then going to immediately move on to Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7?

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda strange that an entire level was dedicated to just running a bath. Anyway, looks like there's now just two levels left to go before this game's story mode is completed.

By the way, I'd like to mention that this game, Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4, happens to be the next Lego game that I'm going to try playing, and I'll be starting it in just a few days. Even though I'll be playing it more often than what we've seen here, I'll also be going for 100% completion, and at the rate that I'm anticipating I'll go, it's probable that I'll end up finishing this game right at the same time as you will (assuming I don't encounter any serious glitches, which I've heard could be rather troublesome for this game in particular).

• 2 weeks later...

This one actually reminds me of my favorite level in the Lego Movie Videogame. That level was also restricted to 2D movement while swimming underwater. Just one level left to go and this game's story mode will be completed.

By the way, after you've completed the story, perhaps you might consider recording one more episode to show some additional content in the game. If I remember correctly, you once already showed us where you can replay levels you've already completed. Some additional things I've seen in that main hub: the upstairs room is where you can rewatch cutscenes, the door to the right I'm sure you know is where you continued the story and I assume you can later simply explore Hogwarts, and the door to the left leads out to Diagon Ally. Along Diagon Ally, you'll find places to enter where you can: purchase unlocked characters and build custom characters; purchase red box abilities you've unlocked (when you find a red box while exploring Hogwarts, just carry it to the nearby owl perch and it'll become available to purchase); enter cheat codes; and play bonus levels and even build your own levels. Perhaps you could at least show us the four tutorials (unlocked after you've completed any of the ten bonus levels and available as an alternative to playing said level again) of the level builder, as I think it would be interesting for all of us to see what was apparently a rather short-lived feature among Lego games (the only other one I'm aware of that has it is Indiana Jones 2).

As for my own progress through this game, I have not yet gotten this far, but the next level I'll be playing will be the final one of Year 3, which you may recall is the one that you had to keep restarting many times due to the game crashing at the same place every time. Well, it seems that so many people have had that issue that someone even wrote a guide on Steam on how to avoid it (the guy claims that watching the ice melt from that door is what causes the game to crash). I really hope that I don't encounter much trouble there, but considering how many tries you said it took you to finally get passed it, let's just say that I'm glad I'll have the entire afternoon set aside.

• 2 weeks later...