Bionicle TRON scribbles

Hidron Nuva

Back with some more sketches! I'm still practicing with my graphic tablet, and I've made some sketches from a project I started 4 years ago. I wanted to make the Toa Nuva in the style of the movie TRON: Legacy. Now, I don't know how many of you have seen the film: basically some people get 'digitalized' and enter the operative system of a computer.

Here are the older drawings from this project:

Kopaka

Lewa

Takanuva

In this story the Toa Nuva have to enter Mata Nui's OS to reboot him while in the Codrex. Then they find out Makuta has entered the OS too (through the chamber under the Great Coliseum in Metru Nui) and is trying to replace Mata Nui as administrator.

Click the thumbnails!
Each drawing comes in two versions (with the light "on" and with the light "off"), click the half you want to see.

Here's Gali
tron_gali1.jpgtron_gali2.jpg
(Yes those are actual cloth sleeves)

And here's Lewa
tron_lewa1.jpgtron_lewa2.jpg

Here we have Pohatu
tron_pohatu1.jpgtron_pohatu2.jpg

Here is Tahu
tron_tahu1.jpgtron_tahu2.jpg

Here's Kopaka
tron_kopaka1.jpgtron_kopaka2.jpg

Here is Onua

tron_onua1.jpgtron_onua2.jpg

And last but not least, Takanuva
tron_taka1.jpgtron_taka2.jpg
(His armor has some elements from the suits of the original TRON movie. The thing in his right hand is a cesta, used for a game called Hyperball or Ring Game. It reminded me of the Kholii fight between Taka and Makuta, so in my story Taka challenges Makuta to this game :D)

Here are the references for the design of each Toa.
 tron_ref.jpg

I hope Onua and Kopaka will follow soon, I'll update this topic should I draw them.
EDIT: 24/08 Added Kopaka, Onua will follow soon.

EDIT: 01/09 Added the references for each Toa. I'm still working on Onua's weapons, for some reason they won't turn out well...

EDIT: 26/09 Added Onua. Very late. Uni keeps me busy, sorry folks! :D

I really wish I could make more of this, I'd love to make a comic but it takes so much time and I'm kinda fickle. For now, enjoy the sketches :(
I hope someone will be inspired and make more BioniTron contents!

Songs from the movie OST I listened while drawing:
- The Game Has Changed
- Derezzed
- Fall
- C.L.U.

Leave a post and let me know what you think, comments and criticism are very welcome!

Edited by Hidron Nuva
  • Upvote 13

hidron_nuva_idea.png

I saw these on Brickshelf yesterday, and I have to say, Pohatu and Tahu are my favorite by far. I love how you included chest markings reminiscent of the ones the 2015 sets have. Nice touch. :)

Also, am I the only one who thinks Tahu looks like a Sith Lord? :P

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Kopaka is up! Hopefully Onua will follow soon. Thank you all!

These are really cool! Someone should write a Tron/Bionicle AU fanfic

That'd be quite awesome, yup ^^

I saw these on Brickshelf yesterday, and I have to say, Pohatu and Tahu are my favorite by far. I love how you included chest markings reminiscent of the ones the 2015 sets have. Nice touch. :)

Also, am I the only one who thinks Tahu looks like a Sith Lord? :P

I thought that too! He looks like some kind of Sith Samurai. I also thought someone would notice he's a little bit too pink :P
As for the design, I gotta say I came up with it before the new sets came out, I wanted it to kinda remind the Nuva Symbols. Still, I like how it became a point of connection with the new sets.

These drawings are absolutely amazing, what tablet do you have? I got one of those Wacom bamboo tablets and i find it hard to draw accurately with it.

I use a Wacom Intuos PTZ-630, it does the job. If you haven't, I really advise that you download the driver from the Wacom website, the default windows driver does not even support pressure sensitivity. Also, it took me some time to get used to the tablet being less wide than the screen (so that if I draw a square, it becomes a rectangle in the screen).

About the cesta, it works more or less like the tip of the Kholii staff during the battle between Taka and Makuta. Taka is supposed to be able to 'transform' his staff in this cesta, and vice versa.

A disc fight with Makuta would have looked cool too, though.

• Upvote 1

hidron_nuva_idea.png

About the cesta, it works more or less like the tip of the Kholii staff during the battle between Taka and Makuta. Taka is supposed to be able to 'transform' his staff in this cesta, and vice versa.

A disc fight with Makuta would have looked cool too, though.

I totally missed the cesta at first, til I read the comments here and suddenly noticed what was going on. It's so clever! I never drew the connection between both Bionicle characters and programs on the Grid playing disc-related sports. So cool!

These are totally wicked and I'm geeking out over them! I love your three old pics - using the backgrounds makes the whole image look 'right'. Also, your newer designs are so fascinating, too. I love the mix of Tron-style lights and angles mixed with the Toa armor... and you kept them all unique. Every time I look back at an image, I see something new. 

These are wonderful!

dontmesswiththisban.png

↑  Ok, after reading this I was like :happydance:

Thank you! And I'm happy that, apart from the drawings, you like the idea!

I was thinking of making the Toa Nuva's discs halfway between the Kanoka and the normal ID discs.

A possible Twilight Takanuva should have two discs :3

Really, a Bionicle/Tron crossover offers so many possibilities, I hope I could explore them through a comic but it's a little bit too much for my abilities.

Also, I'm very very glad you appreciate the designs and the drawings :D

• Upvote 1

hidron_nuva_idea.png

These are great! Weird thing though: Kopaka's build kind of reminds me of a woman. :bored:   And I feel Gali should have some more lines to match with her brothers (lower arms and thighs).

I have to say, I feel Pohatu is my favorite of this bunch. Always did like that set (maybe it's because it was my first Toa Nuva), and the coloring here is just awesome.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Incredibly relevant to my interests

I am a massive TRON nerd so these drawings made me fanboy <3 Each Toa is represented very well in Legacy's sleek, cold aesthetic, and the light streaks are really cool. The only thing I would add is some texture to the Toa, especially a couple splashes of that hexagon pattern on the undersuit parts. I'm getting used to my drawing tablet too, and you've certainly got a leg-up on me when it comes to shading XD Awesome job, I'm a huge fan of these, and your backstory totally makes sense too!

Edited by Skrade
  • Upvote 1