"Island of the Lost Masks": Official Discussion Topic

GSR

Boy, this hasn't happened in a while.  A new Bionicle book! Frankly, I'm not sure what the procedure is here, but an official topic for discussion seems nice.

Bionicle Chapter Book #1: Island of the Lost Masks will be available August 25th, 2015! You can purchase it either as a paperback or digitally through Amazon (note: digital release may not be available in all regions.)

Do be considerate with plot details! Stuff we already know the gist of from animations/etc. is fine to talk about openly, but at least for the first few days (per policy), please use spoiler tags to discuss plot events closer to the end of the book. 

Happy reading!

Edited by GSR
  • Upvote 4

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

IThe mask of time being in a vault reminds me of that scene in the book from G1 lol.

Edited by Dunkleosteus-San
  • Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

The Bionicle tag on Tumblr's been ripe with quotes from the book and I really like them, now I'm feeling obligated to get and read the book!

Plus, the whole reason I was in to G1 Bionicle was due to the story, and now that there's a chunky outlet of story for us, I can get into it again! 

Gaaahhh I'M SO EXCITED.

• Upvote 1
WHAT'S UP, BUTTERCUP???

Finished the book this morning, and I wanted give my thoughts on it:

Overall, this has really great character-building/world-building moments such as when Onua awkwardly asked Korgot if she was a female since Protector mantle has been passed down to 'father and son', and when Lewa was making fun of Vizuna's sensory 'tail' (he only has one tail here). The book also gave some info on what happened to Okoto when Ekimu knocked the MoUP off of Makuta's face. And the fact that most of the island was a 'Jungle/Water Region'; the great cataclysm turned the northern region into wasteland, and caused the Fire Region to be formed.

But with all of that said, you could really start to notice that the author was trying to rush the ending. He/she could've at least gave some backstory on the Skull Villians and/or more info on Makuta since they were being controlled by him. And finally, I feel like the ending was worst part of it--since the Toa's masks were destroyed by Skull Grinder (Kulta doesn't appear anywhere), Ekimu decides to make them new masks. The book doesn't even bother to explain if Ekimu made entirely new golden masks, or if he just put the shards back together again (which really worries me the Toa will use the same exact masks in 2016).

• Upvote 4

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Finished the book this morning, and I wanted give my thoughts on it:

Overall, this has really great character-building/world-building moments such as when Onua awkwardly asked Korgot if she was a female since Protector mantle has been passed down to 'father and son', and when Lewa was making fun of Vizuna's sensory 'tail' (he only has one tail here). The book also gave some info on what happened to Okoto when Ekimu knocked the MoUP off of Makuta's face. And the fact that most of the island was a 'Jungle/Water Region'; the great cataclysm turned the northern region into wasteland, and caused the Fire Region to be formed.

But with all of that said, you could really start to notice that the author was trying to rush the ending. He/she could've at least gave some backstory on the Skull Villians and/or more info on Makuta since they were being controlled by him. And finally, I feel like the ending was worst part of it--since the Toa's masks were were destroyed by Skull Grinder (Kulta doesn't appear anywhere), Ekimu decides to make them new masks. The book doesn't even bother with explain if Ekimu made entirely new golden masks, or if he just put the shards back together again (which really worries me the Toa will use the same exact masks in 2016).

I agree with this for the most part

The first half truly was everything I wanted out of the book.  We got a very good look at the characters and how they act.  We learned a lot that was not already told in the animations.  

The second half was a little bit disappointing, in terms of "new" information.  I loved reading the whole thing, it really was a fun read, but it seems like we didn't get anything for the summer wave that won't be in the animations.  We're only three videos into the summer wave and that already tells half of the story covered in the second half of the book.  I am kind of hoping we do get more info on the skull villains and their origins/back story in the next book.  Remember, it is called 'revenge of the skull spiders' so i think there's some hope that it will give us more information on LoSS and the skull villains.  either way, I love the book and I'm excited for the next one already!

Also, I highly doubt Ekimu just put their old masks back together.  It would be un-Bionicle like if they just got the same masks in 2016.  I know they are trying to make it a "new" story, and I am glad that they are, but I think giving them the same masks would be a step in the wrong direction.  One of the key aspects that makes Bionicle what it is, is new masks every year.  The story team has to know and understand this.  I have complete faith in them, especially after how great this year really has been so far.  I still assume we will get new masks for 2016, and that we may get a glimpse of them in the final summer animation, if the leaks haven't surfaced by then.  

• Upvote 1

:y::m_o::l::m_o:

I got the book today at my nearest Barnes and Noble. I had to drive through a really bad thunderstorm and some flooded streets, but I was able to get it. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I will make time to do so. (Otherwise, why get the book? :P)

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Just bought and read through the new book. The writing's not always stellar, and as others have pointed out the amount of genuinely unique story material seems to drop off once the Toa have all claimed their Golden Masks, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless and can't wait for the next one!

I was really happy to read that the book seems to confirm my theory about the Mask of Time's use. From page 37:

"...But as we realized that evil was rising and becoming more powerful, we could no longer protect all the villagers, and our need for heroes became more urgent. So my fellow Protectors and I united at the Temple of Time to recite the prophecy and hastened your arrival."

In other words, the Mask of Time was used to bring about the planetary alignment mentioned in the prophecy—not to pluck the Toa from another place and time or anything like that.

• Upvote 9

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Has anyone seen these in stores yet? If so, where?

• Upvote 1

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

My brother got this book at Barnes and Noble. I would expect most large chain bookstores to have it. Smaller independent bookstores might take longer or not get it at all, depending on what types of books they specialize in.

Barnes and Noble also had some other LEGO books released today. Lyi decided against getting the "World of Ninjago" guide book, but we did get the LEGO Elves chapter book Quest for the Keys by Stacia Deutsch, which is an excellent read in its own right. Brilliant characterization and lots of great details, including many details that weren't in the 22-minute TV special it's adapted from. We get to learn a lot more about Emily's family, and the confrontation with Skyra in the throne room of the Sky Castle is a lot more action-packed than it was in the TV version.

Back on-topic, Island of Lost Masks was a great story with great characterization. It generally only took a few pages with each of the Protectors for their personalities to really shine through. The Toa were also really well characterized. It is easy to tell after reading this that Pohatu is no less kind and faithful than he was in G1, just gruff instead of chipper. And like the bios we've seen previously, this book isn't afraid to poke fun at its characters' flaws. Jar Jar Bingzak, the only named character that was seemingly created by the author, was a fun character in his own right, though after seeing how... familiar... his role in the story was, it's a bit astonishing how much the Bionicle fan community has fallen in love with him.

Presentation-wise, the book is a lot different from past Bionicle books. There are lots of interior graphics (such as character names spelled out in Okoto's alphabet, a scroll of Okoto's alphabet at the top of each page, and images of the Masks of Power before and after each chapter. Chapter titles are also presented in a striking font This extra decorative flair seems to be a way children's publishing in general has stepped up its game, since I've also seen it increasingly in other series associated with other brands. The cover graphics are nice and classy-looking, although the main image on the back cover (the Protector of Jungle set in the Region of Earth shooting at the Golden Mask of Earth) doesn't make much sense at all.

The Bionicle book is slightly thicker than the Elves chapter book, despite having fewer pages — it seems to be printed on a noticeably coarser grade of paper. It is also printed entirely in black ink rather than blue ink like the Elves book, and has no foil on the cover. I suppose publishers are more keen on putting decorative features like that on girl-oriented books than boy-oriented ones, as colored ink and foil details on the cover are also familiar to me from the My Little Pony chapter books by G.M. Berrow (and published by Little, Brown, the company that will also be publishing the LEGO graphic novels, rather than Scholastic).

The biggest discrepancy I noticed from the webisodes and sets is describing Vizuna's "sensor tail" as a single appendage attached to his spine, rather than twin appendages attached to his feet. Perhaps the set was not finalized when the book was being written, or perhaps the story material provided to the author before he began writing was simply unclear about how the sensor tail/tails are attached. It's not a big issue, though.

Also, apparently when Pohatu's mask is stolen, Kopaka rushes over to shield him? Is it okay for me to start shipping them at this point? I haven't quite decided... but since that was one of my G1 ships I'd love to be able to carry that over to G2.

The book's final three chapters (there are only six chapters in the book, making it feel much shorter than the Elves chapter book, which has ten) certainly have me looking forward to the rest of this year's webisodes as well as future books in the series. I'm curious to know what will happen in the sequel, Revenge of the Skull Spiders, which comes out in late December. But in the meantime I'm looking forward to seeing what the graphic novel will be like, since that's currently even more mysterious than these chapter books have been. We have yet to even see a cover!

• Upvote 3

I bought it (and the Lego Elves chapter book) from Barnes and Noble today. I did have to ask them to check in the back for it, though, since it hadn't been shelved yet when I first showed up there around noon today.

EDIT: Ninja'd. :ninja:

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 1

I got long-winded about the book on my blog over here.

Overall, I think it gets the job done and bodes well for the future.

• Upvote 2

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

I can't wait to read this book. It's been far too long since there's been a new Bionicle novel. BRB, I'm going to go purchase it on Amazon!

EDIT: Now I just have to wait for it to come in the mail.  :P

Edited by Shadow Destroyer
  • Upvote 2

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

Haven't gotten it yet, is it worth it? Is it as good as the old ones?

If you want to see the winter story explored in more detail, or just find out what happens in the upcoming episodes before they release, I'd say it's worth it. I wouldn't say it is a must-have, though - it's a supplement, not core to the story.

• Upvote 2

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Haven't gotten it yet, is it worth it? Is it as good as the old ones?

If you want to see the winter story explored in more detail, or just find out what happens in the upcoming episodes before they release, I'd say it's worth it. I wouldn't say it is a must-have, though - it's a supplement, not core to the story.

Thanks. I'll pick it up, it seems interesting.

• Upvote 1

I just read the entire thing in my visit at my Nan's place. I quite liked it, though I was somewhat disappointed at the rushed pacing towards the end. It wasn't that bad of a rush in my opinion, and I highly recommend it anyway.  

Isn't it weird how Kopaka's mask doesn't get drained, but the Golden Masks of Stone, Earth and Jungle do.

• Upvote 2

I just read the entire thing in my visit at my Nan's place. I quite liked it, though I was somewhat disappointed at the rushed pacing towards the end. It wasn't that bad of a rush in my opinion, and I highly recommend it anyway.

Isn't it weird how Kopaka's mask doesn't get drained, but the Golden Masks of Stone, Earth and Jungle do.

Yeah it definitely is weird now that I think about it.

It makes the inclusion of his drained mask in the warrior set very weird. I'm guessing that the story was loosely laid out when the sets where designed and produced. After that, when Ryder was fleshing out the story, there may have been a problem including that in the book for whatever reason, or just didn't get that information, and it was therefore not written into the book. It does seem like a big thing to miss though. I'm definitely curious as to whether it was intentional or purely by accident.

• Upvote 1

It makes the inclusion of his drained mask in the warrior set very weird. I'm guessing that the story was loosely laid out when the sets where designed and produced. After that, when Ryder was fleshing out the story, there may have been a problem including that in the book for whatever reason, or just didn't get that information, and it was therefore not written into the book. It does seem like a big thing to miss though. I'm definitely curious as to whether it was intentional or purely by accident.

Your missing that, in this book, Ryder is adapting the story episodes from the website - and in those, Kopaka's mask isn't stolen when they fight the Skull Warriors. In that context, the lack of that scene becomes more apparent - they only had nine 90-second episodes to work with, and they opted for fitting other things in instead of an additional 'Toa gets mask stolen' scenario.

Edited by Pereki
  • Upvote 3

Your missing that, in this book, Ryder is adapting the story episodes from the website - and in those, Kopaka's mask isn't stolen when they fight the Skull Warriors. In that context, the lack of that scene becomes more apparent - they only had nine 90-second episodes to work with, and they opted for fitting other things in instead of an additional 'Toa gets mask stolen' scenario.
I didn't forget that, that's why I'm questioning why they Included it in the set and then not in the animation. Either they decided there wasn't enough room or someone just really dropped the ball. You would think that they would have developed a lot of this stuff around the same time, and with the different limitations in mind. I know the web-isodes were made a while after the sets were designed and ready to go, but if they included the mask in the set, you'd think one of the points they specifically wanted to get across in the videos would be the masks getting stolen, otherwise why put them in the sets? I get that it adds more "collectibles" but if they weren't going to be key story elements, then they could have not included them and have had a little more budget room to add to the figures or whatever. Now I'm just blabbering Edited by sydorack

Without the inclusion of it, wouldn't that make the drained version of the Golden Mask of Ice that's included with the Skull Warrior set non-canon? I was beginning to ask the same question for the Golden Mask of the Skull Spiders, which hasn't been seen in the animations or mentioned in the book either, further proving that there's a strong connection between those forms of media. Perhaps Revenge of the Skull Spiders could be different and include it instead.

Edited by Rooster Nui

I didn't forget that, that's why I'm questioning why they Included it in the set and then not in the animation. Either they decided there wasn't enough room or someone just really dropped the ball. You would think that they would have developed a lot of this stuff around the same time, and with the different limitations in mind. I know the web-isodes were made a while after the sets were designed and ready to go, but if they included the mask in the set, you'd think one of the points they specifically wanted to get across in the videos would be the masks getting stolen, otherwise why put them in the sets? I get that it adds more "collectibles" but if they weren't going to be key story elements, then they could have not included them and have had a little more budget room to add to the figures or whatever. Now I'm just blabbering

See, things are starting to become confusing. What's more canon, the animations or the books? The drained Mask of Ice, like you mentioned, doesn't appear in either. Same the golden Skull Spider Mask. What about what's said in the magazines? "Kulta" isn't used at all. Instead, Ekimu calls him 'Skull Grinder".

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I can't read the book, its not avaible in my country... Can someone tell me how the book ends ? I'm only interested in that

The good guys win.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 15

The ambiguity between media types, and also between the toys themselves is a common refrain in all other toy-driven media franchises (Transformers is a mess). The community was both spoiled and ruined by having every little combiner, every little set detail, every little weapon canonized and forced into the story, often awkwardly and jarringly, but we've had ambiguity before. Kopaka's drained mask doesn't occur in the story. So? If that makes it a non-canon mask, that's neat. I'm okay with that, other toylines do stuff like that, I'm cool with it here. The way we approach "canon" is going to have to change with G2.

• Upvote 10

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

The ambiguity between media types, and also between the toys themselves is a common refrain in all other toy-driven media franchises (Transformers is a mess). The community was both spoiled and ruined by having every little combiner, every little set detail, every little weapon canonized and forced into the story, often awkwardly and jarringly, but we've had ambiguity before. Kopaka's drained mask doesn't occur in the story. So? If that makes it a non-canon mask, that's neat. I'm okay with that, other toylines do stuff like that, I'm cool with it here. The way we approach "canon" is going to have to change with G2.

If this means a Bionicle version of TFWiki (and I mean like TFWiki; BS01 doesn't count) then I am all for it.

• Upvote 4

If this means a Bionicle version of TFWiki (and I mean like TFWiki; BS01 doesn't count) then I am all for it.

Holy Karz I love that place.

I really enjoyed the first three chapters.  More than I thought.  I felt character development was coming along nicely and I liked the world building with getting to know the protectors, their personalities, and the places they lived.

The last half was another story.  Really rushed and pretty much just the animations in written form.  Like I was kind of hoping the fight with the Lord of Skull Spiders was going to be less anti-climatic then it was in the animations but nope, it was pretty much just that.  All the villains in general just did not feel that threatening at all.

I really hope we'll get some more stuff in the second book that fixes these things but I guess we will see.

Yeah

Yeah, I'm up for a change. I was just surprised that such a thing is possible with Bionicle. :o It'd be great if it happened a bit more. I'm starting to get tired of seeing the many gold masks everywhere in story media.

And really, 'non-canon' masks have been around whenever collectible masks have been. Remember the TNGM and the silver Kanohi from the Krana packs?

I haven't read the book (pending if I should or not), but from what I am hearing here the book reminds me of the book The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader (I think it was called), which was written by the same author as Island of the Lost Masks.

The first chapter (maybe two) was great as it explored stuff not usually not talked about in detail, Darth Vader before he heads to the Endor System and reminiscing, Shme's(?) enslavement, and later the early life of Anakin before Mr. Jinn popped up. After that, however, the book was disappointing as it was just written abridges of what happened to Anakin in the movies.

Edited by Iaredios Paerkenon

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

And really, 'non-canon' masks have been around whenever collectible masks have been. Remember the TNGM and the silver Kanohi from the Krana packs?

Silver Kanohi are how the Great masks on Mata Nui appeared before a Toa claimed them. That was made clear in a bunch of promotional material. You're right about the Miru, though. 

• Upvote 1

Silver Kanohi are how the Great masks on Mata Nui appeared before a Toa claimed them. That was made clear in a bunch of promotional material. You're right about the Miru, though. 

I've always seen dark grey as the color for unclaimed Kanohi, based on Jaller's Hau in the Takanuva set. Dunno how accurate that is, but the BIONICLE.com Kanohi page gave the silver masks the power of wisdom, so I get the impression that they were tying them to Wairuha more than the idea of unclaimed masks. :shrugs:

• Upvote 1

This, from memory, is the first time where masks that are seen as advertised as having a significance in story material, actually don't. The trans-neon green Miru and the Kaukaus were clearly promotional and not properly produced. But yes, they've been around for a while. That was more or less what I was trying to get at in my earlier statement. There's just too many masks to keep up with...

Anyway, I'm hoping for a change of pace when Revenge of the Skull Spiders comes around. It may be a possibility if it isn't based on newer animations or a few episodes. It seems that Wyndham really had to use his time to fill the book completely of only animation material.

I've always seen dark grey as the color for unclaimed Kanohi, based on Jaller's Hau in the Takanuva set. Dunno how accurate that is, but the BIONICLE.com Kanohi page gave the silver masks the power of wisdom, so I get the impression that they were tying them to Wairuha more than the idea of unclaimed masks. :shrugs:

I'm just going off 2001 visuals alone. Despite what the website may have said, THIS:

300px-GaliFindsMask.png

...Looks 100% silver to me. Just sayin'. Whatever, though. It's not a big deal.

As far as the Mask of Ice goes, yeah. It is weird that a non-canon mask would be packed in with a mainline set. I don't think that's ever happened before. Usually those kinds of masks are offered separately or were found in mask packs. You would think that if it was just a matter of making sure Warrior included a second mask like the others, they would at least briefly incorporate it into the plot. 

• Upvote 2

I haven't read the book (pending if I should or not), but from what I am hearing here the book reminds me of the book The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader (I think it was called), which was written by the same author as Island of the Lost Masks.

The first chapter (maybe two) was great as it explored stuff not usually not talked about in detail, Darth Vader before he heads to the Endor System and reminiscing, Shme's(?) enslavement, and later the early life of Anakin before Mr. Jinn popped up. After that, however, the book was disappointing as it was just written abridges of what happened to Anakin in the movies.

Pretty much Island of the Lost masks, except with more original content, seeing as it didn't start being a novelization of the animations until the Toa united, and shined a surprisingly small amount of light onto Tahu, instead focusing on the other Toa, a  Le-Matoran  Jungle Villager named Bingzak, and  Turaga  Protector  Onewa  Nilkuu.

• Upvote 1