Conflicting g2 story details

Now that the first Okoto chapter book is out, the new storyline feels a lot more fleshed out.

However, there are a few instances where information in the book contradicts previously established plot details:

- "The Legend" animation shows the island of Okoto to have all 6 elemental regions before Makuta forges the Mask of Ultimate Power. But The Island of Lost Masks states that Okoto was only jungle and water before the great cataclysm, with the resulting shockwaves reshaping the land to create the stone, ice, earth, and fire regions.

- The Bionicle website shows the Ancient City to be located in the water region, but The Island of Lost Masks states that the city is in the jungle region.

- The Protector of Jungle set has two sensor tails attached to his ankles. But in The Island of Lost Masks, Vizuna is described as having only one tail, attached to his lower back.

- Skull Grinder is only given his proper name (Kulta) in a promotional spread for Lego Club Magazine. Both the chapter book and the animations refer to him only as Skull Grinder.

-That same promotional spread hinted at a "fallen hero" backstory for Skull Slicer, implying that he may not be purely evil. But in the animations he's a one-dimensional cackling villain with no dialogue who gets defeated after only 2 episodes.

When we get different versions of the same story, which one should be counted as "canon"?

We don't have Greg this time around to clarify anything so I feel lost.

• Upvote 2

I've not read the book yet, so I can't speak to most of these. One issue in the years before is that Greg was given the set prototypes to write about, and the final versions came later. That's why Toa like Jaller and Nuparu occasionally had weapons in-story that didn't exist in set. A prototype of Vizuna might have had a single tail rather than two vines on his boots. The same could be said for the story.

Kulta's name may very well have been a work in progress, and was included on short notice in the magazine, but wasn't early enough to be included in the book.

On the thing about Slicer, remember that the animations are trying to tell the story in a fast-paced manner. There isn't a lot of time or space to dive into the history of the characters.

That said, the only one of these that I see as being a "conflict" is the location of the City.

• Upvote 2

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Hmm. Welp, before I learned the "Greg answer" way of thinking, I used to think of things as the "book version" and the "movie version". That's how I did such franchises like Narnia, Lord of the Rings, and even Bionicle before I learned of BZPower.

In the absence of further clarification from the G2 story team, I think we may have to go back to that way of thinking.

(How do you handle the differences in your head when a book is adapted to film? That's probably how you should handle this.)

• Upvote 2

The book version of how the regions were formed seems like it should be more canon, because it is more detailed.

However, that would bring up the question of why the ancient Protectors look so much like the modern Protectors, given that the modern Protectors' armour is suited to their elemental surrounding. (The Ice Protector would be a bit uncomfortable in a jungle with his heavy armour.)

More generally, why have a Fire or Ice tribe at all if there is literally nowhere fiery or icy on the island? And where did the Mask Makers first come up with the idea of elements from, if not from the different environments of Okoto? I am confuse. :(

For the tail thing, I imagine when it says "connected" to the spine it means "wired into" the spine. That way it isn't debating the fact that we know the tail is on Vizuna's foot (and that he has another tail on the other foot).

EDIT: Looking back at the book, it doesn't actually say that the island was previously only jungle and water. So the tops of mountains could still have been icy, there was possibly some desert in the west that became more "deserty" etc.

Also bear in mind that this is Kivoda's account versus Narmoto's (assuming he is the animation narrator). Narmoto may have forgotten to mention some details in his account, so the listener "imagines" the island looked the same in the past as it does now.

Edited by Votuko
  • Upvote 2
:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

I think a lot of people were reading too much into Skull Slicer's backstory. He was not evil when he was alive. But that was a long, long time ago. He is now no more than a reanimated skeleton, and it's not clear if even a shred of his former mind and identity even exists.

Vizuna's sensor tail as described in the books is a contradiction, but an incredibly minor one. It's probably safe to assume that either Ryder Windham misinterpreted the description of Vizuna's sensor tails in the story bible and assumed they were describing an actual anatomical tail, or that the version of the set he was referencing in the book was not yet finalized. I think it's safe to say the version of Vizuna in the sets is more official.

Kulta's name not being referenced in the webisodes or book does not strike me as a contradiction. Having a name doesn't mean other characters should automatically be expected to know it or refer to him by it.

The geographic contradictions seem a lot more noteworthy. According to the Okoto map on Bionicle.com, the City of the Mask Makers does touch the border of the Jungle Region at one point. Perhaps the entrance to the city (i.e. the bridge) is supposed to begin in the Region of Jungle, and Ryder Windham misinterpreted this to mean that the entire city was located in that region. Or perhaps the official location was changed at some point. The bit about whether or not the Great Cataclysm created the regions of Okoto is even harder to explain. You're right that without a resource like Greg it will be difficult to get a definite answer.

• Upvote 6

- "The Legend" animation shows the island of Okoto to have all 6 elemental regions before Makuta forges the Mask of Ultimate Power. But The Island of Lost Masks states that Okoto was only jungle and water before the great cataclysm

This one is probably a result of artistic license. Why waste money and time coloring a different version of Okoto to be seen for only a few brief seconds to satisfy a minor story detail?

The contradiction regarding the depiction of Okoto pre-cataclysm is most likely slightly less dramatic than you make it out to be. Nowhere in the book does it state that Okoto was ONLY jungle and water before the cataclysm. It only says that the island was "a fantastic place full of many wonders and beautiful landscapes, a paradise full of great forests, brimming with life." Obviously this does mean that Okoto did not look exactly as it does now (which does seem to be an error in the animations), but that isn't to say that the regions of Okoto did not exist—just that they were less inhospitable and more similar to one another.

In other words, there may well have already been a "Region of Fire" containing the three volcanoes mentioned in the book—but they were not necessarily active and certainly hadn't reduced the entirety of the region to a lava-filled waste. Similarly, the Region of Ice may have already been colder and more mountainous than the rest of the island, but was not entirely covered in a massive glacier. The Region of Earth may well have featured similar cave structures belowground while being less barren on the surface. The Region of Water may have featured wetlands and rainforests without having sunk so far into the ocean and swamps, while the Region of Stone could easily have been more arid without having given way entirely to barren desert.

So in summary, the difference between pre-cataclysm and post-cataclysm Okoto is not necessarily that it once favored only a few specific elemental biomes, but rather that post-cataclysm the various regions had become divided and marred to the point of desolation, mostly eliminating the ability for villagers of other elements to coexist in most of the regions besides their own.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 12

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

To be honest, it's probably what we can expect when there's such a weak marketing budget. No reason to flesh out the episodes to be consistent. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

To be honest, it's probably what we can expect when there's such a weak marketing budget. No reason to flesh out the episodes to be consistent.

I think it's more a consequence of the episodes and book being created in tandem but without enough cross-communication. It's not like we didn't have inconsistencies in the classic story... the only difference is that back then we had a direct line to Greg so that he could retcon them away.

• Upvote 7

The way I interpreted the island's regions was that before the Great Cataclysm it may have been mostly water and jungle. The other regions were there, but without much significance to it. Like the region of fire was still hotter than other places, but still had plenty of water and trees you couldn't really differentiate aside from the temperature. Than when the Great Cataclysm happened that only enhanced the regions' features. So now Stone is in a desert and fire in a volcano-like wasteland.

And, if the Great Cataclysm did do so much damage as before as it hinted at, it could be that the Ancient City was in the region of Jungle until afterwards. Now, residing toward the edges of the region of Water.

And it is known that Ekimu knows Skull Grinder's name. There could be several reasons why they  chose not to include it story-wise. They could have a belief that names are power. So, saying his name would give him power. Or, on the flip side, they don't want to honor or respect Skull Grinder enough to say his name.

Yes, it is said in the promotional that Skull Slicer is a 'fallen hero.' It is known that Kulta used the mask of creation to form his skull army. So, I wouldn't be surprised if more than just skull slicer was a fallen hero. And, with how short and few the animations are, they can't really deviate from the main story. Possibly in book 2 they might delve deeper into that. As for why he is a cackling monster, if you were raised form the dead by the power of evil, basically forgetting who you were, I would imagine you wouldn't have much intellect for a good time before you come to realize what is really going on. And even by then it could be too late.

~Xeo~

Hopefully, Revenge of the Skull Spiders will do things like refer to Kulta by name, and maybe give a canon appearance for Ekimu's shield and shooting hammer function.

The main plot point that I was surprised the book didn't flesh out was that empty mask pedestal on the bridge to the Ancient City. The Toa go, "Hmm, a thing," and the book immediately moves on, exactly as the animations do.

I am holding out hope that Revenge of the Skull Spiders is a "flashback" that starts with whatever mask it is being removed from that pedestal, then continues in parallel to the events of the second half of Island of Lost Masks, but with the focus on the Protectors (who are fighting off an attack by the recently de-bridged Lord of Skull Spiders or something).

Occasional references to the "main storyline" could resolve the backstory of the Skull Army and Kulta. ("Minor" points such as "How on Earth does one make an undead army?" and "Where exactly did Kulta find the missing-for-thousands-of-years mask?" :))

One last thing I'm calling:

After Ekimu defeats Kulta in Island of Lost Masks, there is a suspicious timeskip during which Ekimu has (at least enough) time to repair six Golden Masks.

We also have a reasonably long bit of animation in Ekimu's character video which has not yet appeared in a book, where he (alone, in his restored form) has a showdown against multiple Skull Creatures at the Arena.

I predict that this showdown is an actual story event, and takes place during that timeskip in Island of Lost Masks. Kulta's subsequent second defeat could lead to the destruction of the Skull Army and neatly conclude Revenge of the Skull Spiders, tying up the loose ends of the Year One story.

;)

:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

I am fairly certain the mask on the pedestal was the Golden Mask of Skull Spiders. Just for the sole fact it came with the Lord of Skull Spiders set and in his bio it said he uses it. So my guess is the Lord of Skull Spiders took it, and stowed it away in its lair somewhere.

• Upvote 2

~Xeo~

Hopefully, Revenge of the Skull Spiders will do things like refer to Kulta by name, and maybe give a canon appearance for Ekimu's shield and shooting hammer function.

The main plot point that I was surprised the book didn't flesh out was that empty mask pedestal on the bridge to the Ancient City. The Toa go, "Hmm, a thing," and the book immediately moves on, exactly as the animations do.

I am holding out hope that Revenge of the Skull Spiders is a "flashback" that starts with whatever mask it is being removed from that pedestal, then continues in parallel to the events of the second half of Island of Lost Masks, but with the focus on the Protectors (who are fighting off an attack by the recently de-bridged Lord of Skull Spiders or something).

Occasional references to the "main storyline" could resolve the backstory of the Skull Army and Kulta. ("Minor" points such as "How on Earth does one make an undead army?" and "Where exactly did Kulta find the missing-for-thousands-of-years mask?" :))

One last thing I'm calling:

After Ekimu defeats Kulta in Island of Lost Masks, there is a suspicious timeskip during which Ekimu has (at least enough) time to repair six Golden Masks.

We also have a reasonably long bit of animation in Ekimu's character video which has not yet appeared in a book, where he (alone, in his restored form) has a showdown against multiple Skull Creatures at the Arena.

I predict that this showdown is an actual story event, and takes place during that timeskip in Island of Lost Masks. Kulta's subsequent second defeat could lead to the destruction of the Skull Army and neatly conclude Revenge of the Skull Spiders, tying up the loose ends of the Year One story.

;)

I would absolutely love this. I hope it happens, but will remain reasonably doubtful to avoid too much disappointment when it doesn't.

I think a lot of people were reading too much into Skull Slicer's backstory. He was not evil when he was alive. But that was a long, long time ago. He is now no more than a reanimated skeleton, and it's not clear if even a shred of his former mind and identity even exists.

But see, with the lack of a complex story, you'd think they could just say he was a Skull Warrior commander. But instead, LEGO went out of their way to tell us how he's a fallen hero, and for some reason they stressed the "fused hookblade thing".

• Upvote 3

But see, with the lack of a complex story, you'd think they could just say he was a Skull Warrior commander. But instead, LEGO went out of their way to tell us how he's a fallen hero, and for some reason they stressed the "fused hookblade thing".

They don't even call him a "hero", though. They say he was once a beloved arena champion... which incidentally, explains why the Toa encounter him in the arena. Also, it tells us that at least some of Skull Grinder's minions had lives and identities before they died and were reanimated as mindless zombies. Those two details alone seem like plenty of justification for giving him a backstory. Not to mention, it gives them something more meaningful and unique to fill a LEGO Club featurette than just "This is the skeleton boss's assistant. He has swords and a chain."

• Upvote 5

They don't even call him a "hero", though. They say he was once a beloved arena champion... 

To add to this, "beloved champion" certainly does not mean that this warrior was automatically a hero. For all we know, he could have been some cruel so-and-so who happened to be an excellent arena fighter with a large following. If that's the case, I have to wonder how much say Ekimu had over things like arena tournaments and the like, or what his opinion even was of beings such as SS.

Or, Skull Slicer was just a neutral player and none of this matters. Either way, I'm now even more curious about the city and how things were before. (I've not yet read the book(s?), btw.)

• Upvote 2

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

Here's one:

"The heroes recovered Onua's helmet and placed it back on his face." P. 112, BIONICLE: Island of Lost Masks

thumbs_up_kid_with_helmet_on_face.jpg

Edited by Toa Imrukii

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

I just found another contradiction in the book. 

Why was Ekimu's tomb decorated with emblems of the various regions when they didn't exist yet?

Calling this a "contradiction" bothers me in the first place.

Because they probably created his tomb AFTER the cataclysm happened and the barren regions were formed. I mean, why would they need a tomb specifically for Ekimu before he was even rendered unconscious? Yeah, the Ancient City became unlivable, but obviously they only decided that after the ancient Protectors laid the Mask Maker to rest.

... But besides that, Aanchir Lyichir (whoops) already explained the regions thing in post #7.  ;)

Edited by IXRollOutIX

Why was Ekimu's tomb decorated with emblems of the various regions when they didn't exist yet?

Because they probably created his tomb AFTER the cataclysm happened and the barren regions were formed. I mean, why would they need a tomb specifically for Ekimu before he was even rendered unconscious? Yeah, the Ancient City became unlivable, but obviously they only decided that after the ancient Protectors laid the Mask Maker to rest.

... But besides that, Aanchir already explained the regions thing in post #7.  ;)

But it says that the region of stone was created after the battle. And I got the impression that Ekimu was put in the tomb not long after he fell unconscious. Plus it's also hinted that after the city was abandoned they never went back. Which means that the tribes were likely formed after he was berried.

It's time to move on.

... But besides that, Aanchir already explained the regions thing in post #7.  ;)

But it says that the region of stone was created after the battle. And I got the impression that Ekimu was put in the tomb not long after he fell unconscious. Plus it's also hinted that after the city was abandoned they never went back. Which means that the tribes were likely formed after he was berried.

Honestly, why are we using spoiler tags? I'm not sure any of this information is particularly spoilery. I'm sure anyone lurking on this thread has already read all of the existing story material so that they can understand the conflicting information. 

It's never mentioned at all how long it took for them to entomb Ekimu. It's also never states how long it look for the villagers to leave the Ancient City either. As I said, clearly if they have a tomb specifically for Ekimu, that means it had to have been built after they knew he needed such a thing. So using basic deduction skills we know that some villagers (or at the very least the Protectors) couldn't have evacuated the Ancient City immediately after the Great Cataclysm. Furthermore, even if the regions hadn't formed at the time as we know them now, we do know that the six tribes existed long before the disaster, because prior to that the six ancient Protectors had heralded from each them. Even during peacetime in the Legend animation, there are differently colored villagers belonging to different tribes coinciding. Remember: united but not one.

• Upvote 1

Honestly, why are we using spoiler tags? I'm not sure any of this information is particularly spoilery. I'm sure anyone lurking on this thread has already read all of the existing story material so that they can understand the conflicting information. 

It's never mentioned at all how long it took for them to entomb Ekimu. It's also never states how long it look for the villagers to leave the Ancient City either. As I said, clearly if they have a tomb specifically for Ekimu, that means it had to have been built after they knew he needed such a thing. So using basic deduction skills we know that some villagers (or at the very least the Protectors) couldn't have evacuated the Ancient City immediately after the Great Cataclysm. Furthermore, even if the regions hadn't formed at the time as we know them now, we do know that the six tribes existed long before the disaster, because prior to that the six ancient Protectors had heralded from each them. Even during peacetime in the Legend animation, there are differently colored villagers belonging to different tribes coinciding. Remember: united but not one.

In the animation it depicts the abandonment of the city after they entomb Ekimu. And I'm pretty sure they would have given Ekimu a funeral anyway considering what he did for them. And all we know is that there were protectors for each of the elements. Nothing saying they lived separately. 

It's time to move on.

In the animation it depicts the abandonment of the city after they entomb Ekimu. And I'm pretty sure they would have given Ekimu a funeral anyway considering what he did for them. And all we know is that there were protectors for each of the elements. Nothing saying they lived separately. 

We do know that the people of Okoto lived all over the island, and not just in the Ancient City. It's not a huge stretch to assume that the various regions already existed in some form, even if they were not as segregated and inhospitable to villagers of other elements at that point in time.

So wait. If you agree that they abandon the city after entombing Ekimu, and you're sure they gave him a ceremony before they left... Then why are we even having the conversation anymore? Because that renders the original "contradiction" null. There would have been plenty of time to carve the elemental etchings. This is a really silly debate at this point. 

So wait. If you agree that they abandon the city after entombing Ekimu, and you're sure they gave him a ceremony before they left... Then why are we even having the conversation anymore? Because that renders the original "contradiction" null. There would have been plenty of time to carve the elemental etchings. This is a really silly debate at this point. 

Alright fine then. I know it's a small detail but it just doesn't add up to me. Though to be fair certain lines in the book make me question the writers understanding of the source material. I think this is just a case of lego needing to clarify more of Okoto's history. 

It's time to move on.

Here's one:

"The heroes recovered Onua's helmet and placed it back on his face." P. 112, BIONICLE: Island of Lost Masks

thumbs_up_kid_with_helmet_on_face.jpg

So what, am I just chopped liver?

Grant it, it's not as big as decorations in Ekimu's tomb that shouldn't exist (Time travel, maybe?) it's either just a mistranslation, or LEGO just being a dumb.

Edited by Toa Imrukii

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

Here's one:

So what, am I just chopped liver?

Grant it, it's not as big as decorations in Ekimu's tomb that shouldn't exist (Time travel, maybe?) it's either just a mistranslation, or LEGO just being a dumb.

Well, it's not a mistranslation, considering that the books were written in English by an English-speaking author (who is not even a Lego employee, but rather a freelance author). And all things considered, it's a very minor flub, not a contradiction in any sense of the word.

As for the decorations in Ekimu's tomb, that's hardly a contradiction either. We don't know that the regions didn't exist before the cataclysm (they could easily have just been less clearly defined), and we don't know how long after the cataclysm the tomb was constructed. We don't even know what "emblems of the regions" even means—it could refer to emblems of the tribes that lived there, in which case they could have existed back then just like the Protectors themselves did. You're reading a heck of a lot into a vaguely-described emblem and a vaguely-retold legend, assuming that both are 100% literal, ignoring the broad timescale in which the migration of villagers out of the Ancient City could have taken place as well as the fact that there were villagers living outside the Ancient City before the Cataclysm, and insisting that the result is a huge contradiction. If this were an Ace Attorney game, that kind of jumping to conclusions would net you a pretty sweet penalty.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 3