fishers64

IC: Alex Drift - Totally Not Distracted By Real Life

Drift moved aside for Bulk with a salute.

IC: Blink - Dream Come True?

Blink was hesitant to drink anything offered by a witch, especially one who was being consulted about reviving a Hero from only a core, but once again she gave in to her foolishness and curiosity.

She'd always wanted to drink real tea, and by golly, she was gonna do it.

• Upvote 1

"It doesn't matter how big your first bite is. It matters how many bites you take." -Mool the Wanderer

IC: Epix - Kaiba's Ship

The Recall pondered his decision, glancing towards Yotfrid momentarily before turning back to Kaiba.

He wasn't exactly thrilled with the idea of releasing another Prototype Hero into the galaxy so soon after apprehending the first, and was honestly going to deny the request and leave her fate up to Mr. Makuro... until a little bit of the old Epix began to resurface.

If we disassembled every Villain after arrest, then we'd be no better than them. Whatever she did to earn that response is in the past. Let it go.

You're just a ghost, a memory of a being who has long since been destroyed. You have no say in this.

And you've become an empty shell of the Hero you once were. You may have a new personality, you may have pushed away Agent Riot, and you may have buried yourself in your job to try to forget what has happened, but this is still my body, and you still have to deal with me whether you like it or not.

Just shut up and die already. I'm perfectly capable of doing my duty without your input.

Are you? Half of the beings you bring back are dead, and the others are practically beaten beyond recognition. The other Heroes either fear you or downright hate you, and even Mr. Makuro himself keeps you away from the press as much as he can in order to uphold the Factory's reputation. If you didn't work within the confines of the law, the powers that be would've already sent in another agent in an effort to recall you.

Making up his mind, he turned his head to the side to avoid looking either of them in the eye.

"Fine. But if she decides to cause trouble, you'll both end up sharing a cell."

OOC: Running into Surge could be interesting. Also, Phantom's still in her apartment looking for contracts.

As for what's currently going on with Epix, I thought it would be cool if remnants of his older personality were still contained within his memory banks or whatever. Rest assured, they can't take over his body or do anything metagamey since they only exist in his head, but I figured that giving people another reason to try to avoid core transplants wouldn't entirely be such a bad thing either.

• Upvote 1

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

IC Wolfe - Quark Qruiser:

He turned and detached the charging cable as Quark addressed them, then made his way towards the door and waited until Quark was finished speaking. "Does Mission Control have any idea how we're supposed to close that thing?" he asked. "Or is this a 'we'll find out when we get there' kind of deal?"

Hopefully it was the former.

IC Jet - Medbay, Astral:

Glancing down briefly, and trying not to sound worried, Jet asked the medbots, "It's not too bad, is it?"

IC Flint - Nearing the Portal:

Flint wasn't too far behind, but he certainly wished he had taken off sooner. Communications with the Astral were all but non-existent, and the only indication that the massive ship had even been here was the trace reading on LOIS's navicomp. Most other instruments were starting to act strangely the closer he came to the colossal portal that hung ominously before him.

OOC: How much trouble would a ship the size of Slave I have in traversing the portal?

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

IC: Epix - Kaiba's Ship

The Recall pondered his decision, glancing towards Yotfrid momentarily before turning back to Kaiba.

He wasn't exactly thrilled with the idea of releasing another Prototype Hero into the galaxy so soon after apprehending the first, and was honestly going to deny the request and leave her fate up to Mr. Makuro... until a little bit of the old Epix began to resurface.

If we disassembled every Villain after arrest, then we'd be no better than them. Whatever she did to earn that response is in the past. Let it go.

You're just a ghost, a memory of a being who has long since been destroyed. You have no say in this.

And you've become an empty shell of the Hero you once were. You may have a new personality, you may have pushed away Agent Riot, and you may have buried yourself in your job to try to forget what has happened, but this is still my body, and you still have to deal with me whether you like it or not.

Just shut up and die already. I'm perfectly capable of doing my duty without your input.

Are you? Half of the beings you bring back are dead, and the others are practically beaten beyond recognition. The other Heroes either fear you or downright hate you, and even Mr. Makuro himself keeps you away from the press as much as he can in order to uphold the Factory's reputation. If you didn't work within the confines of the law, the powers that be would've already sent in another agent in an effort to recall you.

OOC: I've been meaning to point this out; Why do life sentences exist in a world of robots? If they don't maintenance/care for mechanical villains periodically, the villains are basically under a prolonged death sentence. If they are taken care of, they can, in theory, live on indefinitely and then it would only be a matter of time before they break out and are loose again. I think in many cases, dissembling a villain would be the best move. A life sentence for organic or bio-mechanical creatures still makes sense, but life sentencing a robot seems very shortsighted on Hero Factory's side. Also, I think shorter periods of custody would typically be prescribed to villains that Hero Factory hopes will think about their mistakes and make better choices; A life sentence seems too long for that.

IC: Shade - Nex's Room

Shade awoke as soon as the orange Hero entered the room and got up once Nex had entered the charger. After stacking the mattresses neatly in a corner, Shade wordlessly wandered off in search of a recharge station.

"He who loves his brother most hits him hardest." -Vicarath.

IC: Dorothy Quark and Timothy Gyro - Quark Qruiser

"The latter, I suppose," Quark said. "I'm hoping to bring Render along. I'll give him a call in a minute."

She opened the door, only to see a bunch of what looked to be tourists gathered around the ship eagerly. She glanced back at Wolfe, and then out at the people once more.

"I didn't want to deal with autographs today," she grumbled to herself. To Wolfe, she said, "You're good with this kind of thing. You go first."

Gyro, on the other hand, was grinning. People were out there, presumably to cheer them on? He loved it when they cheered! He looked himself over to make sure he was presentable.

~

OOC: I don't think Hero Factory would be handing out many death sentences, Vicarath. Life sentences in this case are probably meant as very, very long sentences for very serious crimes- and it would be unethical not to upkeep the prisoners. The point of prison is typically rehabilitation and atonement, not getting rid of problems. Death sentences are typically a last resort for extreme cases, I think.

Saying "why not kill villains who won't make progress" doesn't sound very Hero Factory-like, either. I mean, who judges who gets better and who doesn't? Life sentences may even be for those who don't get better, in the hopes that they go against the odds and do get better one day.

Anyway either way we spin it I doubt Hero Factory will be doling out many death sentences, if any at all. There are villains in Breakout that were seen escaping, and were from earlier episodes- Rotor, for example, and the guy has a death sentence on his homeworld. Theoretically, Hero Factory probably doesn't want to hand the poor guy over to his death. Seems kinda messed up.

Edited by ZippyWharrgarbl
  • Upvote 1

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

Strakk's Best Friend, the story of a confusing yet somehow canon friendship.

Terrible Comics, a collection of comics that are terrible.

OOC: No problem! It's an interesting albeit tricky subject, so I'm sorry if I was too blunt in my description. You had some really good points, it's just that the whole deal is a very grey area.

Also don't worry mates I got this defending Hero Factory's ruins thing all under control

~

IC: A duck - Hero Factory Ruins

As the ships fled her sight, one by one, she stayed. She assembled a nest of sorts, one as rough and tough as she was, and patrolled her new domain. She quacked, loudly and proudly, atop the tallest piece of rubble she could find.

This was her domain.

• Upvote 6

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

IC: Yofrid Atgeir

"What virus? What's going on? And what the heck happened to you? Look at you! Everything about you is just... off!" Yofrid clutched her head. Her processors were straining themselves trying to work out some explanation for the situation she was faced with. But without those last bits of memory, it was unlikely she could do so on her own.

IC: Necrissia

"This way then. I'll brew a fresh pot for you. Take a seat while I do so." As she went around the corner, if granted that the trio had followed her, she gestured to the table she and Frank had been sitting at moments ago.

IC Wolfe - Quark Qruiser:

He rolled his eyes and stepped off the ship, raising his voice so as to be heard over the excited chatter. "Alright, folks, please step back from the ship; we're here on business and nothing more." His tone was friendly yet firm, and many of the civilians exchanged glances before either turning to leave or simply moving out of the way. "That's it, thank you," Wolfe continued as he gently started shooing people away.

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

IC: Dorothy Quark and Timothy Gyro - Quark Qruiser

Gyro bounded out after Wolfe, taking a mighty leap and activating his blades to fly higher before touching down. "Hello, Mechna! Hero Factory's on the case!"

Quark followed them off the ship, though she waited at the door for the others to step out. She called Render.

~

IC: Ken Render - Villain Lockup

He stepped away from the cells with an apologetic grin to answer Quark's call. "Howdy."

"Where are you right now? I'd like you on this mission to the portal. I imagine there'll be something for you to pull apart in terms of that."

"Gimme a few minutes. Just gonna check up on Thumper and Quiver. They were dealin' with a ghost along with Stormer n' another Hero when I had to take a villain to the medbay."

"A... Oh, Von Neblua's ghost."

"Ayuh."

She paused. Render, despite himself, bit harder on his wire as he imagined Quark using the time to think about this was the second time he left a teammate (or teammates) in danger today. She finally spoke up.

"The ghost seemed non-hazardous when we spoke with him, just a nuisance. I am sure they are fine, but... alert me to their status when you find them."

"Yes'm. I'll find 'em and restock my bag real quick. Shouldn't take more than a minute, I only need some wires n' solder."

"Very well. Quark out."

He hung up, cycled air a few times, and then turned to the villain who had a pressing question before he left them. "A'ight, pardner, sorry about the delay. Y'had a question? 'Scuse my rushin', I got a few places to be. But I figure I can answer yer questions if y'do me a favour n' point me in the direction of my teammates."

OOC: This is Fravi.

~

IC: Mona Selphi - Laboratory

Selphi worked quietly at a desk, the beetle now in a proper tank before her. She glanced at it idly and decided she needed some dirt for the poor thing to play in. The transparent burrows made from side-lying beakers and big test tubes wouldn't cut it in the long term.

That would have to wait, though. She finished a paragraph and glanced up to the stack of cases already accumulating on her desk. She patted them absent-mindedly before returning to her work.

IC: Jason Ferro- Quark Qruiser

Jason followed closely behind Gyro, repelling himself from the ship's ramp in order to perform a several meter high jump, just barely falling short of matching the height the latter had achieved. As he fell back down, he tried to do a three point landing only to feel a burst of pain in his knee upon touching the ground. Stumbling back to his feet, Ferro quickly straightened his body and put his hands behind his back in an attempt to look composed.

IC: ???- Ruins

As the cargo ship descended, it became increasingly clear to the pilot that the news hadn't been lying. All that remained of the former symbol of truth and justice was an enormous pile of wreckage. Segments of wall, steel beams, and occasional bits of machinery as far as the optic could see, so deep that the ground was invisible. Not wanting to land his only means of transport on what could prove to be unstable, the black armored robot left the ship hovering a few meters above the ruins before jumping out, landing amongst the scrap. He began to explore the ruins, mostly to see if there was anyone else around who had the potential to interfere with his task.

Chuck Norik is no match for Bruce Lhikan!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

From her vantage point, she stared down at this intruder. This place was full of fools who seemed keen to challenge her domain. She glared them down, deciding to give them time to flee before her fearsome might struck the intruder.

OOC: Is that guy cleared with Fishers, by the way? I forgot to ask last time. Just realised it might do to check if he's actually approved before throwing posts that might need to be edited around.

Also, question to Fishers: How well-versed in villains is the average tourist? On a scale of "oh look, propeller Hero" to "WHY IS A SLIGHTLY SMALLER ROTOR TERRORISING THIS AMUSEMENT PARK?!"

OOC: Yes, he is.

The robot continued his exploration, oblivious to his impending doom...

IC: Arsenal- Mechna's rooftops

Well, any doubts about these visitors' origins were now gone, thanks to the overly enthusiastic Rotor wannabe. If this many heroes were being sent to a single place this soon after an attack of the factory itself, something huge must be going on. Perhaps some of his allies would be able to give him some information...

Arsenal had been hired by Mechna's government before, to assist with problems dealing with things they didn't want the Hero Factory to know about. If anyone knew what was going on, it was them. Arsenal entered the codes he had been given, hoping to get some answers.

"So, first the sky changes color, and now half the Hero Factory's shown up. Any ideas on why they're here?"

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

OOC: Aight, nice! Thanks for clearing that up c:

This interloper was not getting the hint. She let out a warning quack, so low and loud that it rumbled like an earthquake. She spread her wings for full effect.

The robot's head whipped around at the sound of the earth-shaking quack, only to see that it seemed to have come from an organic being much smaller than he was. Puzzled, he approached the creature, who seemed to be showing no signs of backing down, even in the face of a threat as great as himself. The way it sat there, oblivious to the desolation all around it, made the robot somewhat uneasy... And they way it seemed to be trying to scare him off, like a predator protecting it's kill...

No...

Could this seemingly diminutive being have more power than initially meets the optic? Could it, somehow, be linked to the Factory's destruction? It certainly wouldn't be the most unlikely thing that he had seen happen in his lifetimes...

Now no more than a meter away from the mass murderer, the robot ceased his advance. He slowly reached for his shield, prepared for whatever this monster was about to throw at him...

• Upvote 3

IC: A duck - Hero Factory Destroyer

She narrowed her eyes as the creature approached, tilting her head to leer more effectively. As they stopped, she flapped down to ground level and flapped some more at them, approaching with a series of quick, sharp, extremely loud quacks. How dare they set foot on her home! She would peck the living daylights from this coward, even with the thing they were hiding behind!

She paused. Something had lodged in her throat from her earlier victory feast. Three horks brought it up, and on the ground between them clattered a slightly digested Hero Factory security pass. She continued her approach unhindered.

IC: Crowley - Ruins.

A new ship had arrived, this one apparently ferrying only a single occupant. And, given that said occupant seemed to be preparing themselves to duel a diminutive duck creature, this seemed the perfect opportunity for Crowley to make his escape.

Leaving the heroes and their dropship behind, he began to creep low through the wreckage, intending to slink past both the stranger and the snack, and on towards the cargo vessel...

Edited by The Old Master
  • Upvote 4

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Teaser

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

OOC: Just to be clear, ???'s ship hasn't landed on the ruins, it's currently hovering above them.

Also, let me preface this post by saying that I have no intention of killing the duck.

The organic neglected to attack, leading the robot to begin doubting the creature's destructive capabilities. Or, perhaps it was just as cautious of him as he was of it. If that was the case, he was going to use their fear to his advantage.

"You fear me, don't you, organic?"

The cold, metallic voice seemed to echo across the landscape, despite the speaker's relatively soft, though somewhat smug, tone.

The robot drew a sword, and began to advance on the creature, expecting it to either attack him or retreat.

Edited by PyroLizard Prime

OOC: Thank you, I also have no intention of killing ???. Also, props to him for not feeling the slightest bit worried about the duck up-chucking something typically worn by a Hero Factory employee. I know I'd be a tad suspicious, but that said, the knights from Monty Python's The Holy Grail were also largely unphased by the rabbit surrounded by human bones.

IC: A duck - Destroyer of Worlds

The duck quacked haughtily in response, and with a mad rush of speed, surged forwards to peck at the stranger's toes. Her new territory had left her in a sporting mood, and so she did not go directly for the face or other weak points on the loud giants. Yet.

IC: Crowley - Sneaking.

He continued trying to be sneaky. 

• Upvote 1

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

IC: FOCUS

DARK LAIR

Focus joined Blink at the table, knowing that Tina would contact him once the Kestrel landed.

IC: KESTREL

ABOVE MECHNA

The ship slowly approached the ghost town of Mechna's Grunge District, where Focus was located.

OOC: Ah, sorry. I missed the thing with the security pass. Did you edit it in after you first posted, or was I just being unobservant?

This was odd. The robot had been expecting something like fire breath or a laser beam, not a simple charge. Either way, it was about time he finished this detour and got back to the task at hand. He attempted to swiftly kick the enraged waterfowl.

OOC: I edited it in immediately after posting, and from memory, you posted a decent amount of time after that. So, it could've been either, I guess. It doesn't matter, either way. C:

IC: A duck - The Finality

The strike hit her in a glancing blow, which only made her angrier. Did this fool dare to strike at her? Her, the proud owner of this place?! The giant may have had size over her, but she had the guts and fight in her to bring any foolish giant to their knees. She flapped up to peck and scratch at their beakless face, quacking relentlessly.

IC: Crowley - Escape Within Reach.

The ship was only a few metres up off the ground - out of reach for some beings, maybe. But not for him.

He broke into a run, breaking from cover and clambering onto an elevated chunk of rubble. Kicking off with all the strength his powerful back legs could muster, he reached out with his lanky arms, aiming for the open hatch the black-armoured being had emerged from.

Successfully hooking his clawed fingers around the edges of the frame, he began hauling himself onto the ship...

OOC: Probably a bit of both, then. Either way, ignoring something like that fits within the personality of ???, so I'll probably just leave my response as is, if it's okay with you, of course.

The robot was beginning to have doubts about this creature's destructive capabilities. The pecks were incredibly ineffective, due to both the shape of the beak, and the fact that they were attacking a metal helmet. The scratches were slightly less so, leaving tiny silver streaks on the helmet's surface where the paint was gone. Grumbling, the robot backed up a step before attempting to backhand the beast with his shield, pushing them away, irate but unharmed. Just as this happened, the robot heard someone running behind him. He turned around just in time to see

an organic, scaly creature jump onto his ship, probably with the intent of stealing it.

"Really?.."

Parts of his metallic frame began to glow purple as he sheathed his sword and began using magnetism to propel himself towards his ship at high speed. Before the organic could climb into the cockpit, the robot stuck the side of the ship feet first, with enough force to shake the entire vessel. This could possibly cause the organic fall, depending on their grip strength. Sticking one hand to the ship's side in order to steady himself, he used the other to draw a Plasma gun and fire at the thief.

OOC: Yeah, that's fine.

IC: A duck - Victorious

She was pushed aside, and about to return with a vengeance for the giant's eyes when they fled, no doubt realising who the mightier creature was. She bellowed quacks in victory atop a piece of rubble.

• Upvote 1

IC: Crowley - Fighting Fire With Fire.

The impact shook the vessel, and he scrabbled for purchase, his feet losing their grip and leaving him dangling once more by his hands. He hissed in pain as bolts of plasma began to pepper his hide, but tried his best to ignore it. He had power over plasma himself, after all, and had burned himself more than a few times while learning to master the ability. He was no stranger to that kind of pain. 

As he began trying to clamber up once more, he turned his head towards the assailant, opened his four jaws wide, and spewed a searing stream of crackling green plasma towards them. 

IC: ???- Fighting fire with Cheapshots

The robot was forced to stop firing in order to bring up his shield, which protected him from the worst of the organic's blasts. Unable to attack, he instead focused on a particularly pointy-looking piece of debris on the ground below, behind the organic. Grinning under his helmet, he began pulling the piece towards his shield, causing it to come flying up towards them. Of course, to reach the shield, it would have to go straight through the organic...

IC: Crowley - Hanging Around.

The creature let out a brief whimper as a sliver of something briefly snagged at his shoulder, spilling hot blood before tearing free and continuing on towards his assailant's shield.

The wound stung, worse than the burns. The pain was a reminder, of just how unfair his life was. Why did things come so easily for others in this galaxy, yet he was forced to scrape and scrabble and suffer for even the simple, basic needs that everyone else took for granted? Freedom and food, safety and security, peace and prosperity. So many things had been taken from him, and he was sick of it. The time had finally come for him to start taking things back. 

The flurry of thoughts took only an instant, and in the same moment Crowley broke off his attack, focusing instead on pulling himself the last few feet up into the ship, and out of the line of fire from further shrapnel. 

No one was going to give him the life he wanted, so he'd just have to seize it for himself.

IC: ???- Intrigued

Once the piece had torn it's way through the organic, the robot allowed it to fall back down to the ground below. The thief seemed undeterred however, as they quickly scrambled up into the cockpit. This was getting interesting. By now, any other thief would have retreated, realizing that a ship like this was hardly worth the effort. Not this one. The way it ignored the wounds he inflicted, despite clearly being able to feel pain, showed just how desperate this thing was, how it was so determined to get off this rock, it was willing to steal from someone as powerful as himself. In broad daylight, no less. Hmm. Perhaps he could take advantage of this...

The robot quickly climbed over to the cockpit, holstering his Plasma gun as he did so. Then, like a snake striking from a hiding place, he pulled himself up, and attempted to grab the thief with his shield arm. Simultaneously, he began to magnetically pulling himself to the ground, trying to pull both him and the thief back into the ruins. Hopefully, the shield would protect him from any plasma the organic tried to fire.

IC: Crowley - Pulling My Leg.

A hand snagged at his ankle and he kicked wildly, trying to shake it loose. His opponent's pull was strangely strong, as if something were dragging the mechanical being down towards the ground. Worse still, in the somewhat cramped confines of the cockpit, Crowley couldn't properly turn around to face his attacker, so he focused instead on wedging his frame in place as best he could, bracing himself up against the walls with his hands and free foot. 

He was confident of his position, so the struggle would come down to what gave out first - whatever system on the ship kept it hovering, the loose metal on the ground, or the grip of his attacker's single hand on his leg. 

IC: ???- Cargo ship

Clearly, this wasn't working. It was a shame he couldn't use stronger magnetic fields, for fear of tearing himself apart. Grumbling, the robot released the thief's leg before stopping the magnetic fields, only to quickly create new ones, pushing him upwards. He stopped those as well, allowing him to drop down into the cockpit, standing above the organic. He held his shield at the ready, wary of their plasma attack.

"You're desperate. I can see that much. Tell me... What WAS it that you did to make stealing this from ME worth the risk?"

IC: Crowley - Ship.

He dislodged himself and shuffled into a comfortable position, turning side-on so he could both face the robot and reach for the control panel without having to turn his entire body. 

"I don't owe you anything," he rasped, something in the being's tone immediately drawing his ire, "least of all, answers." Why was all of robot-kind so callous and demanding? What gave them the right to try to end his existence, then command him him to answer their demands a mere heartbeat later? 

IC: ???- Cargo ship

"Of course not. But I don't owe you anything, either."

Before the thief could do anything significant to the control panel, the robot reached over and snatched the keys, causing the vessel to shut down and begin plummeting into the ruins.

"Especially my ship."

He then repelled himself from the cockpit. This sent him flying up, out of the ship, allowing him to avoid the effects of the impact.

IC: Crowley - Ship.

Having only had a fall a few short metres, the drop was short, and did little more than rattle Crowley around a little. What rattled him more was the fact that this ship apparently needed a key, or all things, to work?

What kind of antiquated scrapheap had he just tried to steal? In all of his months spent roaming this galaxy, he'd never come across anything so ridiculously old-fashioned or impractical as a spaceship needing a key to start. But he needed that key to take the ship and get off this rock, assuming the ancient hunk of junk didn't break apart the moment it tried to pass through the atmosphere or jump to FTL. 

He glowered up at the ship's owner, letting out a low hiss. Your move... 

OOC: In "Rise of the rookies", didn't Corroder use a something attached to a keychain to call in that speeder thing he used to escape? Even if I'm mistaken, it would still make sense for there to be some futuristic key equivalent to prevent theft.

OOC: Yeah, Corroder did have keys, along with an impressive keychain. Also, in the RPG setting, Quark also has keys. Keys are perfectly fine for the setting, I think. They get the job done effectively.