Toa Mata Piston theorie.

Petewa

32173.gif32482.gif

Okay, here's my theory, as the piston on the back of the limb pulls in, the one on the front pulls out, causing the leg to bend at the knee, and the arm to bend at the elbow my theory is that the pistons are muscles.

Now, I apply this theory to the torsos, if the pistons are muscles, then they allow the Toa to bend at the waist:

32489.jpg

Here is my poor-quality illustration of the theory:

1700121_orig.png

Whaddaya think? Is it possible, or am I crazy?

Edited by Petewa

seems about right, those pistons weren't just put there for useless greeble after all. :u

(similarly: the pistons on the mata and metru foot, plust the accordian on the rahkshi foot, are there to make the toes bend and allow realistic footwork to occur, theoretically of course.)

EDIT:  oh, and the Mata-torso-side-pistons do the same, left piston out, right piston in, and vice-versa.

Edited by Rahkshi Lalonde
  • Upvote 3

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

seems about right, those pistons weren't just put there for useless greeble after all. :u

(similarly: the pistons on the mata and metru foot, plust the accordian on the rahkshi foot, are there to make the toes bend and allow realistic footwork to occur, theoretically of course.)

EDIT:  oh, and the Mata-torso-side-pistons do the same, left piston out, right piston in, and vice-versa.

Aside from MoLtoran and Gen2 doesn't every bonkle torso have those side pistons?

32577.gif

47306.jpg

60894.jpg

60895.jpg

61802.jpg

53564.jpg

50925.jpg

53545.jpg

47305.jpg

47331.jpg

Edited by Petewa
  • Upvote 1

Pistons push more than they pull, unlike muscles. But otherwise yeah, Toa can bend at the waist.

Well then, rather than pulling, one piston decreases the amount it is pushing whilst the other one increases.

Exactly.

I wonder what fluid the pistons use? I doubt its steam because it feels silly that they would have exhaust fumes. It could be oil, but I think it's some biomechanical fluid that's their equivalent of blood, probably based off liquid protodermis.

• Upvote 1

It is perhaps just there to assist physical movement, or those are their main form of movement in the direction, and the other organic bits just help for lesser movement. I mean you kind of need to move your torso quickly for combat, and in other activities.

• Upvote 1

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

Not sure what they would be doing on this

4289386.jpg

But yeah, the pistons are clearly some sort of hydraulic.

The pistons most likely push downwards for supporting the legs on the balljoint end i.e. it grants the vahki leg strength needed to keep running after criminals for long periods without falling over easily, and on arms it's probably used to stregthen arm support on physically strong characters when heavy weapons like axes are swung in combat. (hewkii inika is a good example with his big axe nuparu and so is hahli inika laser harpoon and matoros heavy sword)

Edited by ---Kopaka Nuva---
  • Upvote 1

qs3135.jpg

4289386.jpg

IDK, wrist articulation?
I think the point being made was that those were originally used as legs, which don't bend like that. Arms are a different matter.

Weird, mine do.
I suppose they do it you look at it as the ankle bending. I saw it as motion in the middle of the calf. Edited by TuragaNuva

sigbanner.gif

4289386.jpg

IDK, wrist articulation?
I think the point being made was that those were originally used as legs, which don't bend like that. Arms are a different matter.
Weird, mine do.
I suppose they do it you look at it as the ankle bending. I saw it as motion in the middle of the calf.

There's also the fact that Vahki are alien robots built by alien robots to enforce the law, they don't necessarily need to have the same kind of articulation as a human.

Not sure what they would be doing on this4289386.jpg

IDK, wrist articulation?
Weird, mine do.
I suppose they do it you look at it as the ankle bending. I saw it as motion in the middle of the calf.

There's also the fact that Vahki are alien robots built by alien robots to enforce the law, they don't necessarily need to have the same kind of articulation as a human.
Oh... Right, hadn't thought about that :P. I'm fact, it'd probably be a useful point of articulation when in their quadrupedal mode.

Regardless, I do like this idea about the pistons. I'd always figured they were (usually) placed in such a way that they'd move with nearby joints, but I never thought they might be the driving force of that motion.

• Upvote 2

sigbanner.gif

I don't know if I'd call them "muscles." Every source I've ever seen says that the organic tissue is mostly under the armor.

What I would say, however, is that those may be there to hold the armor together during movement, and to keep it flexible, and perhaps absorb shock. I don't know all that much about mechanics, but I know enough to infer things.

And don't bother asking Greg about this. It's already been done, and I think his answer was something along the lines of "No idea, that's a question for a set designer."

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water