guilty pleasure sets?

MagiAshley

you know just what i mean, any sets out there you really know are just, flawed in so many ways but you just can't help but like it in some way?

just post what set you definitely think is your guilty pleasure

mine would have to be ultimate dume, let's be honest, all those pieces of green, red, blue, silver, and black meshing together in one of the most uncomfortable and asymmetrical way possible and the awkward build barely allowing him to stand up right, but i just can't bring myself to hate a set of teridax, that and dat one exclusive piece tho

another one i have isn't really bionicle but is what many bionicle fans seem to detest, the hero factory set, von nebula, my only complaint with hero factory is that most the designs look kinda lame but von nebula i just gotta love cause he's pretty much hydraxon on steroids

• Upvote 5

~ diabolical ~

now i'm gonna be honest with you, i love the simplicity of the avtoran and agori

really simple sets have always been fine with me probably cause my first sets were the mctoran which are still probably the simplest bionicle sets to date. even those weird good guy/bad guy promotions were more complex than them

Edited by MagiAshley

~ diabolical ~

Umbra, probably. So many people decide to hate this set for a lot of reasons, but I can't get enough of WHEEL FEET. Robots/Heroes with wheels or skates have always been right up my alley conceptually. Revenge of the Fallen Sideswipe, IGPX mecha, GoGo Tomago, etc. So regardless of everything else, I've got a sweet spot Umbra's design.

• Upvote 5

oh man, the good guy/bad guy/function sets

those were so dumb but had a weird charm to them, maybe it's the absurdity of how they're built, or it just might be they're so good to scrap for parts

i feel it's probably how they often achieved so much character in such a little set, and the massively chibi-fied proportions basically made them on-par with Tohunga for cute little charm. :u

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

... I like the Bohrok-Kal. :P Even though they're just remakes of the already-repetitive Bohrok, the silver headpieces and metallic Krana are cool.

• Upvote 2

I can't really think of any thing when it comes to sets, Av-matoran probably. But then it comes to pieces, it would most definitely be the Suletu

Its just so beautiful

now i'm gonna be honest with you, i love the simplicity of the avtoran and agori

really simple sets have always been fine with me probably cause my first sets were the mctoran which are still probably the simplest bionicle sets to date. even those weird good guy/bad guy promotions were more complex than them

I like simple sets too.

• Upvote 1

Kopaka.png

stone_good.png

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I agree that the Agori/Av-Matoran were unfairly villainized. In addition, the Stars were actually quite good, so I wouldn't consider them a guilty pleasure. 

• Upvote 2

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Er, all of them? I mean, I just spent a bunch of money on plastic toys. I should be ashamed of myself for being so irresponsible. :P

I suppose Norik, Vastus, and Toa Ignika especially fit the bill. The CCBS & Technic sets have at least some innovation possibility that I can work with later to make a proposal to Lego Ideas or maybe win a contest or something like that. The old Bionicle sets really don't have that - I just want or have those because my parents wouldn't let me get them before.

I have very little actual guilt or shame about any of them, though. No guilt tripping!

Hmm, this is a tough one, and I usually find something I like in every set at least...but, I'd have to say Gadunka. It was the last and final 2007 set I needed to complete that collection and I actually got it that Christmas, along with all the Phantoka. I had initially held out because I just didn't like the design, and it wasn't an important character. After building it however, I found out I did indeed like it, and I think it is a unique set.  

• Upvote 2

“We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives. And that's okay. That's good. You gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."

-The Doctor

Hordika for me. Say what you will, love the foot pieces, the silver armors, and the heads. Plus they gave us those Hordika necks! Never could find any use for the leg limbs but loved the story that year.

• Upvote 1

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Personally, I was surprised to find that so many people disliked the Rahaga! I've got all six of them, and love 'em. The design and build is nice, and the integration of the Rhotuka spinner system is fun. They're quite samey, sure, but the differences in armour and Rhotuka colouration give them enough diversity IMO. Oh, and the combo models were quite cool too.

I also really dig the Stars. Not so much Skrall and Gresh, due to my lack of attachment to those characters, but the other four were great. They were nice, cheap little collectibles, which introduced a few neat new pieces. The "Golden BIONICLE" gimmick was quite cool too. I've kept hold of my Stars Takanuva, Tahu and Rahkshi, because those are the best looking ones IMO.

Edited by Logan McOwen
  • Upvote 3

I really liked the Mistika to be honest. They weren't fantastic or even great sets. Heck the Toa from that line were downright ugly, but I enjoyed them. Maybe it was just the nostalgia but I was happy to see Tahu make a comeback after all those years even if he looked nothing like the Tahu I remembered.

I also thought Umbra was pretty neat, I thought the roller skates were great in a so bad it's good sort of way.

I also really liked the Lego playsets even if they weren't that great, the novelty of having Bionicle characters in minifigure form was really cool, although the Barraki minifigs made me sad, but it would have been more trouble than it was worth to make unique molds just for minifigures. 

Edited by Xarok

-BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER-

Krekka. The only truly good thing about the set design was the legs. The arms were too thin, and the torso and head were a mess. In spite of all that, I just can't help but like him, for some reason. Maybe it's just because I like really bulky sets, or the fact that he had some decent recolors, I dunno.

• Upvote 1

Chuck Norik is no match for Bruce Lhikan!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Phantoka and Mistika were great... why would they be guilty pleasures?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Krekka. The only truly good thing about the set design was the legs. The arms were too thin, and the torso and head were a mess. In spite of all that, I just can't help but like him, for some reason. Maybe it's just because I like really bulky sets, or the fact that he had some decent recolors, I dunno.

Oh man I loooove krekka. I totally get why people don't like his set but I love it so much. It's so robotic and clunky and awkward and perfect

Edited by sydorack

:y::m_o::l::m_o:

BECAUSE THEY HAVE GRAY AND THE MASKS AREN'T THE SAME !!!!1!!1111

To be fair, two of the Mistika Toa had backwards Piraka torsos, and That's Terrible.

But yeah considering that the original Nuva were garbage, the fact that the 2008 Toa don't look anything like them seems to me to be their strongest point. But eh. Opinions.

Edited by the ghost of isaac newton

AXKP5KC.png

BECAUSE THEY HAVE GRAY AND THE MASKS AREN'T THE SAME !!!!1!!1111

To be fair, two of the Mistika Toa had backwards Piraka torsos, and That's Terrible.

But yeah considering that the original Nuva were garbage, the fact that the 2008 Toa don't look anything like them seems to me to be their strongest point. But eh. Opinions.

WHAT?? Sir, how dare you! :o

Personally, I really liked the Avtoran/Agori/Stars. Absurdly simple builds, yes, but easy and fun to play with. Though the sets with the right-angled limbs were a bit annoying.

I also loved the Glatorian (the Legends, not quite so much). Yes, it was the fourth year in a row of Inika builds, but I think the Glatorian did a great job with them. Just look at Strakk! Even the more traditional ones, Gresh and Tarix, were things of beauty. I think a lot of it may be down to them finally injecting some colour into the sets, but I like the whole bunch.

• Upvote 4

Banner 2.png

Click on them to build them yourself!

I don't think I'd consider any of the sets I've gotten to be "guilty pleasures". The only sets I've really had any guilt about getting are generally the ones that didn't provide me much pleasure in the first place. One example is Lesovikk. I got the figure alone (no sled, no box) used at a convention once, just to fill in that empty spot in my collection. But I really haven't had much use for either him or his pieces, and I don't even have a box to store him in.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother