guilty pleasure sets?

MagiAshley

I've always been a fan of the Rahaga when I was younger. They weren't particularly great, but I really liked how small they were and how far the Rhotuka spinners flew.

YES.

Oh man, I would still go to the store and buy like all of them if they were available.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

• 1 month later...

-The Toa Hordika, Visorak and Rahaga
-Bohrok Kal
-Matoran of Mahri Nui(one of my favorite Matoran builds to date, probably my favorite official build, tied with the 2003 build)
-Skull Scorpio. I admire that set for daring to be different. It didn't pull it off perfectly, but still I like it
-Tahu Mistika. I honestly don't know why, but I've always kind of wanted that set
-Takutanuva(If it counts)

That's about all I can think of at the moment

I'm currently in the process of rewriting G2. PM me if interested.

Feel free to follow the blog! (https://spiritofokoto.tumblr.com/)

I refuge to acknowledge the Glatorian sets as "guilty" pleasures.  While they are unfortunately yet another rehash of the Toa Inika build, they are easily the best instances of that particular canister set bodygroup - bright colors, visually varied, appealing mask and weapon design, finally downplaying those projectile launchers, and even sporting a few twists on the standard build (i.e. Skrall, Strakk, and especially Kiina).  Compare to, say, the Bohrok-Kal, which are nearly identical to the original Bohrok, but blander in appearance (which is ironic, because when they were originally released, silver was meant to be something special).  I honestly don't get why they get so much negativity, other than perhaps the fact that they are part of the Bara Magna story arc (which, again, I feel gets a lot of undeserved vitriol from the fanbase).

The Stars, on the other hand... I'd consider them guilty pleasures, since I understand why they are not seen by many fans as worthy of being BIONICLE's final set wave, being a set of small simplistic builds using the Av-Matoran bodygroup (which, unlike the Toa Inika bodygroup, was already quite controversial upon its initial release).  But, that being said, I am very impressed with how much the LEGO designers were able to accomplish with this simple build.  The addition of the shoulder/chest armor made the heroes stand out from the bare-bones Av-Matoran and Agori, and I was surprised by how faithfully the aesthetics of the Piraka and Rahkshi sets were recreated with Nektann and Samuel L. Jackson the Rahkshi of Heat-Vision.  Of course, those two particular characters had never been released in set form before despite existing in the story for years, not to mention that this is the first time that Tahu has been released in some semblance of his Toa Mata form since the original wave of sets in 2001*.  The only one I'm not particularly fond of is the Skrall, and even then it's a set that comes with a black Ice Sword, so that still opens up some MOCing potential (Shadow Kopaka, anyone?).  Add in the fact that the BIONICLE team had to fight tooth and nail to even make these sets in the first place, since LEGO just wanted to cut the line short with the Glatorian Legends, and I'd honestly say... all things considered, the Stars served as a satisfactory celebration of the ten-year-long BIONICLE saga, which is really all I could have asked for when it comes to how BIONICLE should have ended.

Of course, being the BIONICLE fanbase, everybody else insists (even five years after the fact) that "stars killed bonkledore".

*Warning: it's personal story time that nobody cares about but still gives context to that particular statement!  Even though I've been following BIONICLE since day one (more or less), my LEGO budget in 2001 was largely given to the Adventurers, Studios, Dinosaurs, and Harry Potter themes, so I only ended up getting one Turaga (Nuju) and four Tohunga (Onepu, Huki, Matoro, and Maku) for that year.  In 2004, that 2001 collection expanded to include two more Turaga (Vakama and Onewa) and one Rahi (Muaka & Kane-Ra), but I did not acquire any more 2001 sets for the rest of BIONICLE's run.  Therefore, when I saw that Tahu Mata was among the Stars line-up, I was overjoyed, since I thought this would be my final opportunity to get a set based upon, if not actually, the original Toa Mata.  Of course, by the end of 2010, my best friend ended up giving me his entire BIONICLE collection, including the original Tahu Mata, so the point was ultimately rendered moot... not to mention that the Gen 2 Tahu is probably everything that the Stars Tahu should have been... but I could not have known about that back in late 2009 when the Stars were announced!

• Upvote 3

I've always liked Umbra. Maybe it's the fact that I never actually owned him, but in all the promotional pictures that I've seen he's always had this powerful and awesome air to him. I don't find the colour scheme to be as garish as some people say and the fact that he has two of those light-up weapons made him all the more appealing to me. 

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

Glatorian Legends Gelu (not that there aren't any others). He has to be my all-time favorite set. People hate on him 'cos he shares the Inika build, but I don't see any problems with that, really. They had pretty great articulation and more or less realistic proportions, and he just looked cool in general. Plus, there's nothing better than waking up at six o'clock on Christmas, reaching under your pillow, and pulling out a Bionicle set that you've been told doesn't exist anymore.

Any of the Toa/Villains.

Why? Well, I guess you could count me lucky as I (usually) always got titan sets for my birthday/Christmas, but never any canister sets (excluding Matoran), which left an empty hole, so whenever I see a Toa/Villain, I obviously buy it. (Usually from 2006 onwards).

Also smaller sets, like the Tohunga or small ussal crab. They're just too darn adorable.

Edited by Tea-rex