BIONICLE.com "Inspired by BIONICLE" models discovered...

TommyG

...To be ones already known of. Don't know what I'm talking about?

One of the many wacky foreign and non-canon combiners G1 had was this often liked diddy that mixes together the blue, red and black Rahkshi into one staff wielding warrior.

inspiration_1.jpg

What you may not know is that there were apparently other models that came from the same Brickshelf gallery it came from that were not used in the (Western, at least) LEGO magazine it appeared in. These are more... out there, to say the least.

inspiration_2.jpg

inspiration_3.jpg

inspiration_4.jpg

And when asked if they should also be include in the alternate model database back in October, Volitak_Boxor said no because they weren't, to out knowledge, LEGO-sanctioned like the Japanese model was. Until now...

While browsing on Google, I came across this old BZPower news archive page that shows the picture of one of the combiners and lists it as being one of four "Inspired by BIONICLE" creations available on BIONICLE.com's Builder's Section without instructions but rather a single image, and also that they weren't seen on the LEGO Club website. So I went through the Wayback Machine for the Builder's Section page around this date and did indeed find four "Inspiration Models" without images saved. And clicking for a close-up gave more information.

"Inspirational Model #1" uses Turahk, Vorahk & Guurahk so it matches the magazine-published combiner and states "Tip: Use the Rahkshi shoulder parts to create the body of this imposing character.".

"Inspirational Model #2" uses Panrahk, Kurahk & Lerahk so it matches the BZPower listed image's combiner and states "Tip: Use Rahkshi back parts to create the long arms. Remember that good balance is the most important part of this model!".

"Inspirational Model #3" uses Onua Nuva, Pahrak-Kal, Pohatu Nuva & Nuhvok-Kal so it must be the duo combiner and states "Tip: Using Onua Nuva and Pahrak-Kal, you can create the silver version of this Ape-like creature. By combining Pohatu Nuva and Nuhvok-Kal, you can also create his golden-faced twin!".

And "Inspirational Model #4" uses Tahu Nuva and Kohrak-Kal so it must be the remaining combiner and states "Tip: Combine the various limbs of both Tahu Nuva and Kohrak-Kal to create extra-long legs!".

So in terms of obscure and goofy, but LEGO-sanctioned combiners, we can also now add these guys to the continually growing list!

• Upvote 16

Pre-forums purge sig kept for historical purposes:

Some cool Bionicles are the combiners. Example: Toa Jovan

I've built a Krahka with 5 Toa Metru & Toa Norik, adding parts I needed to Norik. It needs 11 blue pieces (the ones that have +&O ends) but there's only 10 in all the Toa Metru sets. Do I have to attach her launcher to her arm? Please PM me if you can help me.

http://www.bzpower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=309724

Well, I like the first of the 'new' combiners, but the other three are... something else... especially the Tahu one. Although... I am kinda fond of the two matoran sized ones...

Forever remember the Podu

R.I.P. Hahli, Lesovikk, and Ehlek. Died of Green Plastic Syndrome.

Pridaddy will always be with us

I love you. 

Edit: Please try to contribute more substantial posts in the future; this is considered spam.

-Wind-

I sincerely love the fact that you have found this, for I shall utilize these in the future for both inspiration for original MOCs as well as adaptive combiner models, and so I would like to graciously thank you for uploading these. 

Edited by Irrie: The Loremaster
  • Upvote 2

bZpOwEr

Great Mata Nui! Little things like this are what keep me coming back to BZPower. BIONICLE has a surprisingly loyal fanbase, so you never know what's going to be unearthed.

Now, I know this isn't exactly new, because it was obviously publicly displayed on the official site at one point, but obviously it wasn't noticed by very many people. And those of us who may have noticed were likely pretty young at the time (I was only 10 and 11 at the time those snapshots were crawled) so we may not have remembered, if we were into BIONICLE at all.

Funny thing is, I was on BIONICLE.com fairly often around 2003 (I even remember printing out that "Search for the Seventh Toa" contest map), and I don't remember this at all. Only the Rahkshi one that's already common knowledge because it was in a comic.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

Whoa, I knew there was a handful of alternate combiners from other countries, but these are interesting. Nice find man

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I feel like I've seen the first one before. Not for a very, very long time, but I've seen either it or something similar to it before. It still looks cool regardless. In fact, all of these look cool. The only one that I have a slight disliking to would be the Tahu Nuva/Kohrak-Kal combo set. Its 'extra long legs' just don't look good to me, though the rest of it is okay.

And as others have said before me, nice find! :)

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

• 3 weeks later...

So THAT'S where those models came from!  I'd seen them before, both when you mentioned them before and in a couple compilation Brickshelf galleries, but I never imagined that Lego had previously hosted them on Bionicle.com.  I think I'll try to build a couple of them when I have access to my sets.  Great research, and great find!

It's things like this that make me sad that most of BZP's forum archives have been lost to the ages (and MoD's, too, I think).  We're rediscovering these little pieces of history that probably weren't that obscure back in the day, but pretty much everyone left in the Bionicle fandom has forgotten these details, and the records of those older days just aren't there anymore.

What's next?  I'm thinking that the next new tidbit will come if anyone ever purchases and opens one of the 2003 Kabaya Matoran, and we can get a good scan of its instructions.  And I'm holding out hope that somewhere, a digital copy of the Vezok-Thok-Reidak Korean Piraka combiner instructions exists.  (Where did the Hakann-Avak-Zaktan version's instructions come from, anyway?)  And who knows?  There might be other hidden secrets to stumble upon.

Edit:  Hey, I have my Vahi now!

Edited by Volitak_Boxor

sqtd1i.png

^               Often lurking, occasionally writing about sets on BS01.                     

L     This link is a bit old, but there's still some good info about combiners there.

So THAT'S where those models came from!  I'd seen them before, both when you mentioned them before and in a couple compilation Brickshelf galleries, but I never imagined that Lego had previously hosted them on Bionicle.com.  I think I'll try to build a couple of them when I have access to my sets.  Great research, and great find!

It's things like this that make me sad that most of BZP's forum archives have been lost to the ages (and MoD's, too, I think).  We're rediscovering these little pieces of history that probably weren't that obscure back in the day, but pretty much everyone left in the Bionicle fandom has forgotten these details, and the records of those older days just aren't there anymore.

What's next?  I'm thinking that the next new tidbit will come if anyone ever purchases and opens one of the 2003 Kabaya Matoran, and we can get a good scan of its instructions.  And I'm holding out hope that somewhere, a digital copy of the Vezok-Thok-Reidak Korean Piraka combiner instructions exists.  (Where did the Hakann-Avak-Zaktan version's instructions come from, anyway?)  And who knows?  There might be other hidden secrets to stumble upon.

Yeah, we should really see if we can just contact the guy who had the Korean Piraka (Thok, Vezok, Reidak) set and see if he can upload the instructions. Any problems foreseeable with doing that?

I've built a Krahka with 5 Toa Metru & Toa Norik, adding parts I needed to Norik. It needs 11 blue pieces (the ones that have +&O ends) but there's only 10 in all the Toa Metru sets. Do I have to attach her launcher to her arm? Please PM me if you can help me.

Yeah, we should really see if we can just contact the guy who had the Korean Piraka (Thok, Vezok, Reidak) set and see if he can upload the instructions. Any problems foreseeable with doing that?

Do we even know who that guy is?

http://cafe.naver.com/legobionicle/97069

There is a photo of part of the instructions, but they're slightly obscured.

There is a photo of part of the instructions, but they're slightly obscured.

Yes... That's why we'd ask him.

The first two are actually really amazing. To bad these weren't official or didn't make it into the canon to some degree. Glad we have them now though! 

“We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives. And that's okay. That's good. You gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."

-The Doctor

Language barrier could be an issue, unless somebody here knows Korean (which I assume is what that page is written in).  I can't quite tell if the site is just one guy's blog, or more of a community, but the site still seems semi-active (judging by the Skull Creature banner), which is at least a little promising.  It's worth a shot.

sqtd1i.png

L     This link is a bit old, but there's still some good info about combiners there.

Language barrier could be an issue, unless somebody here knows Korean (which I assume is what that page is written in).  I can't quite tell if the site is just one guy's blog, or more of a community, but the site still seems semi-active (judging by the Skull Creature banner), which is at least a little promising.  It's worth a shot.

Google Translate won't suffice? Because that'd be understandable.

I don't know, a message with words like "Bionicle", "Piraka", and "combiner" would probably get butchered pretty badly by Google Translate.

sqtd1i.png

I don't know, a message with words like "Bionicle", "Piraka", and "combiner" would probably get butchered pretty badly by Google Translate.

Well they look okay here:

https://translate.google.com/#auto/en/BIONICLE%0APiraka%0ACombiner

I think if we included the message in both English and translated Japanese/Korean, with a lot of pictures to try to illustrate the point, that would probably have the best chance of success.  You want to give it a try?

sqtd1i.png

Nice find! Now that you mention it, I do recall seeing these on the website back in the day. Wow, talk about a memory lapse! 

Some really cool combiners here. I like the Rahkshi ones, and the Bohrok Kaita aren't bad either. That Tahu/Korahk Kal though... Nightmare fuel.

Thanks for the find!

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

I think if we included the message in both English and translated Japanese/Korean, with a lot of pictures to try to illustrate the point, that would probably have the best chance of success.  You want to give it a try?

I would. How easy is it to make an account? Do you need a phone number or something?

I would. How easy is it to make an account? Do you need a phone number or something?

An  account for what?  The site where the instructions photo was posted?

sqtd1i.png

Yes.

*snip*

Yes.

If you use Chrome, auto-translate the page, and look for "Log In" or "Sign In" buttons, you'll probably find a way to create an account.  Odds are you'll need an e-mail or something, but that's probably it.

On a more on-topic note, I built the Tahu Nuva + Kohrak-Kal model.

r91h08.jpg

I'll probably make photo instructions eventually.  The feet are really rickety, but it's neat how the Hau Nuva is like a helmet for the Krana face.  I'd say it was worth it to build it.

sqtd1i.png

That Tahu actually looks really cool. I should try building it, or wait until there are instructions on the alternate model database.

Kopaka.png

stone_good.png

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!