Bonkle

I don't know how much can be read into it because so many of the 2001-02 characters' names end in "u" or "a," but I think it's nice that all the main Onu-Matoran and Le-Matoran's names end in "u" :) (Taipu, Onepu, Nuparu; Tamaru, Kongu).

Well, it is certainly evident in the villain sets.

-vak/rok

-Rahk

-akh

-ak

CLONE SETS DO NOT APPLY :P

So the Piraka aren't clone sets?

Getting off topic, but I mean like, there aren't just six Visorak. There's a ton of each, and they're a species, so they'll all have the same suffix.

Edited by Bonkle

Well, it is certainly evident in the villain sets.

-vak/rok

-Rahk

-akh

-ak

CLONE SETS DO NOT APPLY :P

So the Piraka aren't clone sets?
Each Piraka is an individual, whereas a Bohrok is one of many thousands. Rahkshi also share that trait, though only six were released onto Mata Nui.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

what's interesting is how up until 2006, all villains contained the elemental prefix in their name, (excluding vahki) such as the Bohrok:

Gahlok

Tahnok

Lehvak

Pahrak

Kohrok

Nuhvok

the same applies (though oft corrupted) to the rahkshi, excluding Vorahk which opts instead to contain "vor" (to eat)

but the visorak were kinda odd, i didn't realize until recently that they all contained the element title in the second syllable of their name:

Boggarak

Vohtarak

Keelerak

Roporak

Oohnorak

Sukorak

the piraka did indeed have similar names to each other, despite not being a horde, which can be explained that unlike the Barraki, they were all the same kind, Skakdi, so we can assume by the seven piraka names we've seen that Skakdi language is spoken very harshly, full of hard sounds and, well, the letter "K" :u

after the piraka though we got... wordplay names, usually matching the animal themes: "Carapar", "Kalmah", "Vamprah", "Chirox", "Mantax" to name a few...

• Upvote 7

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Despite them being different species, I thought it was a little hint that we had the Visorak with -ak, Sidorak, Voporak, and then.... Roodaka?

Maybe -aka is the feminine suffix in the Visorak (or Vortixx?) language?  Sidorak and the Visorak have the masculine or neutral suffix of -ak but Roodaka has the deliberately feminine -aka.  As is common in Latin-based languages.

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

I've always been a fan of Bionicle's naming system and its well placed h's, like in -ahks

• Upvote 1

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Possibly not on topic, but did anyone else notice how the Koro were named after the Mata?

Tahu - Ta-Koro

Onua - Onu-Koro

Lewa - Le-Koro

Gahli - Ga-Koro

Pohatu - Po-Koro

Kopaka - Ko-Koro

and then the Wahi and Metru districts follow the same pattern.

I dunno, just a little thing I noticed...

EDIT: Oh, so looking back on the topic's first post, this isn't on topic.  On top of that, in continuity I guess that the prefixes came before the Mata. Sorry 'bout that :(

EDIT 2:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but most people have known this since the series began in 2001. You are a little late my friend. :lol:   

Oh, wow... I feel seriously dumb right now... :headbonk: lol

Edited by unknown456

Forever remember the Podu

R.I.P. Hahli, Lesovikk, and Ehlek. Died of Green Plastic Syndrome.

Pridaddy will always be with us

Possibly not on topic, but did anyone else notice how the Koro were named after the Mata?

Tahu - Ta-Koro

Onua - Onu-Koro

Lewa - Le-Koro

Gahli - Ga-Koro

Pohatu - Po-Koro

Kopaka - Ko-Koro

The Wahi, Koro, and Metru were named after the elemental prefixes, as were the Toa Mata. FYI.

I like the Mata-Nui Matoran dialect and other racial language corruptions of Matoran (like Skakdi and Makuta). One (like Maori) is not riddled with harsh noises aplenty and can be quite poetic by just being normal, while the others (from what has been seen) is the opposite of that. :P But my favorite would have to be Bara Magna agoric, as it borrows influences from Latin and Greek with traces of the Near-East, and such a fusion is usually Byzantine/Medieval Roman in nature (which if anyone knows me, I find their history to be very interesting and thus have prior knowledge to it).

Tahu - Ta-Koro

Onua - Onu-Koro

Lewa - Le-Koro

Gahli - Ga-Koro

Pohatu - Po-Koro

Kopaka - Ko-Koro

EDIT: Oh, so looking back on the topic's first post, this isn't on topic.  On top of that, in continuity I guess that the prefixes came before the Mata. Sorry 'bout that :(

Sorry to burst your bubble, but most people have known this since the series began in 2001. You are a little late my friend. :lol:

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see your edit there.

Edited by Iaredios Paerkenon

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

I don't know if this would be terribly on-topic, but I'm just going to say it. 

The Matoran in the earlier years would be named off a concept or word straight from Maori (Ex: Maku literally means wet, moist, or damp). But, after the legal problems that Lego experiences, the had to change something. In its place, Lego had actually used some names based on Finnish (Ex: Tuuli means wind).

I don't know if this is 100% true, so someone please tell me if I'm wrong.

• Upvote 1

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y:

The Matoran in the earlier years would be named off a concept or word straight from Maori (Ex: Maku literally means wet, moist, or damp). But, after the legal problems that Lego experiences, the had to change something. In its place, Lego had actually used some names based on Finnish (Ex: Tuuli means wind).

You're correct. More specifically, the Matoran from the Mata Nui Online Game II were really the only ones with such diverse etymological origins—most of the 2001 characters did have actual Polynesian names (not all of them were Maori, and in fact even some of the Turaga's names came from other Oceanic languages).

My brother has a downloadable Excel spreadsheet listing a lot of the name origins from early Bionicle here.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

You're correct. More specifically, the Matoran from the Mata Nui Online Game II were really the only ones with such diverse etymological origins—most of the 2001 characters did have actual Polynesian names (not all of them were Maori, and in fact even some of the Turaga's names came from other Oceanic languages).

My brother has a downloadable Excel spreadsheet listing a lot of the name origins from early Bionicle here.

Aw, sweet! Thanks for sharing this! Are the ones with empty spots are ones with unknown origins?

Edited by Gunhaver Nuva

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y:

Aw, sweet! Thanks for sharing this! Are the ones with empty spots are ones with unknown origins?

I think so. Then again, I don't remember when the last time he reuploaded it was—we may have found some more since then. No idea.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother