Remember

Hapori Tohu

Let us not forget what happened fourteen years ago today. We were here at Kanohi-Power and BionicleZone back then, and we all lived though 9/11/01 as a community. Fourteen years later, we are still here, members are still here - and the site, the members, and the world are just a little less innocent because of that day exactly fourteen years ago. The world is now different, as is our community that has lived through a difficult time - it is important to remember all those who lost their lives.

View the full article

• Upvote 16

Welll, that's startling.

EDIT: Despite being only a year older than BIONICLE itself, and byfar too young to remember what was happening to me, personally, that day, every year since then, on the same day, my view of the world gets a bit darker, even moreso apon realizing the fact that both my grandmother on my own mother's side, and my grandfather on my father's side share a birthday, both of which have been overlooked for years because more important things happen that week. It always makes me a bit more upset with the world for not only ignoring the births of two without either of which, I wouldn't be here, but for how belittling and ignorant this makes humanity as a whole from my perspective, now if you'll excuse me, I've got poetry to write, it's my way of coping.

Edited by Petewa
  • Upvote 1

Never forget. 

• Upvote 1

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

I wasn't even 1 year old when THIS happened. Could someone please inform me?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_11_attacks

• Upvote 1

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I faintly remember seeing the event on TV when I was 5. My grandma told me that I had a cousin that was in the building when the towers fell.

• Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I don't remember seeing this event unfold for I was too young, but heck have I seen footage aplenty. My mother says that I saw it unfold on TV and I hadn't understood what just unfolded, saying something like "Why are you crying? What is happening momma?", her replying, "Well, some bad people have done something really bad, and people are gone and hurt because of it" (I have no recollection of this).

The impact still stands heavily in the minds of those that were mature enough and saw this unfold, for whenever a city is being destroyed in a movie (Man of Steel, for example), and skyscrapers begin their felling and smoke and ash flood, my mom gets a little teary eyed due to her memory. Minor conspiracy theories aside (none of that huge crud), I shall always remember this date, even more-so it's aftermath and it's effect on history. Though out of context from it's original script, the aftermath can be well summarized in the following excerpt as it has taken a life of it's own while being independent:

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I wasn't even 1 year old when THIS happened. Could someone please inform me?

Wow, really?  As a historian, if you have further questions I am certain I can answer them via PM.

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

I remember seeing it happen on the television when I was quite young, but not really grasping what had happened. It's weird how we can see such horrible things happen at such a young age and somehow the horror of it escapes us until we are older and understand the significance of it.

• Upvote 2
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

stop doing this every year

Or you could have some respect for the 3000 people who lost their lives. If remembering this tragedy offends you, then don't pay attention to it. Some of us wish to remember it, let us do so. 

I'll never forget 9/11. I was in school, and despite being 6, I knew a horrible thing had been done...I did not know why at the time, I just knew it was bad. The rest of the day and the following days were solemn and awkward...walking outside and not hearing any aircraft was just...eerie. It's amazing that 14 years have gone by...thankful nothing like this has happened again. If there was anything that came out of it, it was the unity following the attacks. Race, religion, political affiliation, none of that mattered...we were all just Americans. Not even nationality mattered that day. I wish that same unity would come back, but I just pray it doesn't take another tragedy to bring humanity together again.

• Upvote 4

Or you could have some respect for the 3000 people who lost their lives. If remembering this tragedy offends you, then don't pay attention to it. Some of us wish to remember it, let us do so.

It could be he lost someone during 9/11 and doesn't like the memory being drudged up year after year, or a personal opinion regarding putting something this, for lack of a better term, harsh on a website devoted to children's toys and escapist fiction. While I don't agree with the latter (though I see why it'd be a problem, I feel children need to be exposed to reality so it doesn't hit them like a brick later on) the former is something people involved with 9/11 have to go through year after year. It can be hard. Personal loss is always terrible.

Or, perhaps, I'm talking out my keister and pikminjake just doesn't like 9/11. Who knows?

As for me... I was born not even a year prior. I can't remember a world before 9/11, the War on Terror, or anything of that sort. My dad was in the Air National Guard and the way he talks about terrorism and his personal viewpoints on the War on Terror, I don't think he would've been so vocal had 9/11 not happened. It really hits everyone hard, even people who would normally be completely untouched.

• Upvote 6

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

I'll never forget 9/11. I was in school, and despite being 6, I knew a horrible thing had been done...I did not know why at the time, I just knew it was bad. The rest of the day and the following days were solemn and awkward...walking outside and not hearing any aircraft was just...eerie. It's amazing that 14 years have gone by...thankful nothing like this has happened again. If there was anything that came out of it, it was the unity following the attacks. Race, religion, political affiliation, none of that mattered...we were all just Americans. Not even nationality mattered that day. I wish that same unity would come back, but I just pray it doesn't take another tragedy to bring humanity together again.

Well, he does have a point. This story isn't going to be posted over and over, is it? I mean, there is always a point where one must move on. On the other hand of course, the story shouldn't do any harm and since I'm not American, I probably don't have too much of a say here. I don't feel disturbed by this story but if I were the admin of this site I'd probably have stopped in 2011. Just my two cents, though. I don't want to offend anyone.

There are many other things that have come out of it and many of them aren't good. Middle East and even Europe are experiencing some very long-term implications right now. I'm not a historian but it's probably safe to say that 9/11 was one of the most influential events in recent history, if not the most. However, I try to be an optimist and think that everything is going to work out eventually. There are always rougher times and better times, you can't have one without the other, after all.

I do wish so much unity would come and spread over the whole world, too. I wonder if that's one of the things that unites us all (ironically)? The problem is that there are too many different views of what the world should look like.

Edited by Gatanui
  • Upvote 4

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

I was three years old back then. I don't remember that much about that day, but I do remember that my dad was flying back from Colorado, and witnessing all the panic on everyone's face as the airport was on lockdown, so the 1 hour wait to see him turned into 8 hours, plus hundreds of panicking people. My heart honestly goes out to all those who lost someone on that horrible day. 

• Upvote 1

Add me on Steam!: Bionicdeadpool Productions TTV: Bionicdeadpool Twitter: Avenging_Odin

FatherlyDismalIberianmidwifetoad.gif

Let's also remember those 200,000 lives that the US took when they dropped the 2 bombs at japan in 1945.

Let's remember the super violent dictatorships the US backed in South America that killed more than 3000 people In Chile alone.

Let's remember those innocents killed in Vietnam, Africa and so many other countries during the cold war while the US and the URSS were supporting guerillas behind the scenes.

Let's remember all the more than 1 million people killed during the so called """war on terror""".

And while we're at it, let's remember the supreme anti-islam sentiment created by false information of the media that made people in the US lose their jobs, friends and even made them end their own life.

Edit: Political discussion is not allowed, and furthermore, you need to respect those who are in mourning on this day.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 17

never forget the thousands who died that day, the millions of innocents who were killed in a war over an act they did not commit, and all of those who have been targeted in hate crimes because of their religion or the color of their skin ever since.

Edited by Scythey
  • Upvote 6

Well, he does have a point. This story isn't going to be posted over and over, is it? I mean, there is always a point where one must move on. On the other hand of course, the story shouldn't do any harm and since I'm not American, I probably don't have too much of a say here. I don't feel disturbed by this story but if I were the admin of this site I'd probably have stopped in 2011. Just my two cents, though. I don't want to offend anyone.

There are many other things that have come out of it and many of them aren't good. Middle East and even Europe are experiencing some very long-term implications right now. I'm not a historian but it's probably safe to say that 9/11 was one of the most influential events in recent history, if not the most. However, I try to be an optimist and think that everything is going to work out eventually. There are always rougher times and better times, you can't have one without the other, after all.

I do wish so much unity would come and spread over the whole world, too. I wonder if that's one of the things that unites us all (ironically)? The problem is that there are too many different views of what the world should look like.

Having a day of remembrance doesn't mean we haven't moved on. The Pearl Harbor attacks are still remembered, just not as much...with time, 9/11 will be like the Pearl Harbor attacks and the sinking of the Titanic, and only be remembered on the big anniversaries, like 25th, 50, etc.

Let's also remember those 200,000 lives that the US took when they dropped the 2 bombs at japan in 1945.

Let's remember the super violent dictatorships the US backed in South America that killed more than 3000 people In Chile alone.

Let's remember those innocents killed in Vietnam, Africa and so many other countries during the cold war while the US and the URSS were supporting guerillas behind the scenes.

Let's remember all the more than 1 million people killed during the so called """war on terror""".

And while we're at it, let's remember the supreme anti-islam sentiment created by false information of the media that made people in the US lose their jobs, friends and even made them end their own life.

Let's also stop being so anti-American. Yes, America did some questionable things, but so have other nations, so stop acting like we're the only country that has ever wronged anyone. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

• Upvote 3

There's a difference between honoring lost American lives and claiming that America is blameless.

• Upvote 1

Race, religion, political affiliation, none of that mattered...we were all just Americans. Not even nationality mattered that day. I wish that same unity would come back, but I just pray it doesn't take another tragedy to bring humanity together again.

Huh...so my brother-in-law being hospitalized and he and my sister's home being defaced the next January had nothing to do with the fact that he was Sikh after all!

I can't wait til I tell my Nephew! It'll be pretty easy, too, cuz the school he goes to now is 15 miles closer to my house than his old one.

Man, guess those kids who broke his arm for being a "terrorist" just needed some of that famous post-9/11 intercultural unity!

• Upvote 5

Race, religion, political affiliation, none of that mattered...we were all just Americans. Not even nationality mattered that day. I wish that same unity would come back, but I just pray it doesn't take another tragedy to bring humanity together again.

Huh...so my brother-in-law being hospitalized and he and my sister's home being defaced the next January had nothing to do with the fact that he was Sikh after all!

I can't wait til I tell my Nephew! It'll be pretty easy, too, cuz the school he goes to now is 15 miles closer to my house than his old one.

Man, guess those kids who broke his arm for being a "terrorist" just needed some of that famous post-9/11 intercultural unity!

What a great way to respond to a positive comment.

How come the last time I said something negative about last year's 9/11 topic and I was modded asap?

Edited by Dunkleosteus-San

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I feel like this is drifting off into a place where it shouldn't.

Yes, we all know the loss of many lives were unfortunately the result of American foreign policy. However, putting all the blame on the US for things that happened is not fair either. I also fail to see how the deaths of Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Vietnam etc. stand in direct relation to those of 9/11, which is what this topic is about. Nobody is denying those deaths or those that happened in direct or indirect consequence of 9/11 by honoring those who died on that day. It's natural that, this being an American site and all, the deaths of people in the own country has a greater emotional weight than those elsewhere. And again, nobody as far as I can see is denying the latter any respect by respecting the victims of 9/11, even if I do not find it inappropriate to point those out and to make a call for tolerance and mutual respect, regardless of religion or culture. What's more, I think it's necessary if true respect is to be paid to the victims of that day. We must not allow the deaths of so many innocents to be abused.

Lastly, political discussion is not allowed on this site and whether you agree with that or not, it's something you need to respect if you want to participate on this site.

Edited by Gatanui
  • Upvote 8

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Yes, we all know the loss of many lives were unfortunately the result of American foreign policy. However, putting all the blame on the US for things that happened is not fair either. I also fail to see how the deaths of Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Vietnam etc. stand in direct relation to those of 9/11, which is what this topic is about. Nobody is denying those deaths or those that happened in direct or indirect consequence of 9/11 by honoring those who died on that day. It's natural that, this being an American site and all, the deaths of people in the own country has a greater emotional weight than those elsewhere. And again, nobody as far as I can see is denying the latter any respect by respecting the victims of 9/11, even if I do not find it inappropriate to point those out.

Lastly, political discussion is not allowed on this site and whether you agree with that or not, it's something you need to respect if you want to participate on this site.

Exactly. The point of this topic is not to promote the U.S., or to discourage other beliefs, or anything else. The entire point is to say "hey, a lot of people died on this day for no reason."

• Upvote 2

Let's also stop being so anti-American. 

I can't, I'm a rational human being.

Don't forget WW2 was a world war, and had it not ended soon, far more lives than that would've been lost. Such a devastating--and, yes, even terrible--show of force was what it took to break Japan.

And other countries were involved in orchestrating the Cold War, if to somewhat of a lesser extent.

As for the others, I can't say anything; no government is perfect, and the US is by no means any exception. And uninformed media or biased media is a terribly destructive force. But you can't use these examples to criticize the recognition of those who died. In the end, I do agree with you; we should remember those people in your examples, and mourn them, guilty or not. But if you mean to say either that the US deserved those attacks or shouldn't remember its own dead in light of what we and our leaders have done, please keep your opinions to yourself. Everyone has a right to mourn. Everyone has a right to remember.

Yes, we all know the loss of many lives were unfortunately the result of American foreign policy. However, putting all the blame on the US for things that happened is not fair either. I also fail to see how the deaths of Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Vietnam etc. stand in direct relation to those of 9/11, which is what this topic is about. Nobody is denying those deaths or those that happened in direct or indirect consequence of 9/11 by honoring those who died on that day. It's natural that, this being an American site and all, the deaths of people in the own country has a greater emotional weight than those elsewhere. And again, nobody as far as I can see is denying the latter any respect by respecting the victims of 9/11, even if I do not find it inappropriate to point those out and to make a call for tolerance and mutual respect, regardless of religion or culture. What's more, I think it's necessary if true respect is to be paid to the victims of that day. We must not allow the deaths of so many innocents to be abused.

I agree.

Edited by The Hero Nuva Kaita Nui
  • Upvote 1

To all BIONICLE fanfiction writers - send me your work, I'd genuinely love to read it - especially canon compliant pieces. I'm always looking for more such material to read and to circulate with my friends.

And what was positive about it? 9/11 didn't "unify" America in the slightest! It turned millions of American Muslims -- and everyone who looked like they could be Muslim, like my family -- into targets for next-door terrorism.

That statement does worse than ignore the fact that American men, women, and children are being brutalized for their faith. It pretends that it did not and could not have happened because "oh boy howdy weren't we all just one big american family now?"

Just because it sounds nice and gives you the warm fuzzies doesn't make it "positive."

• Upvote 6

Personally I think half of this thread has been an absolute disgrace to what the men and women of 9/11 sacrificed their lives for: YOU. Quit arguing about politics and maybe honour the people that experienced horrible deaths, and honour their families who suffered great tragedy. 

-Rez

EDIT: And for the record, we don't honour September 11th to bash America or get angry about the things that it's done wrong since 9/11/01: we honour it because we want to commemorate the men and women who died to a brutal and merciless act. It's not about religion or politics, it's about common decency for fallen heroes.

Edited by Reznas
  • Upvote 6

Personally I think half of this thread has been an absolute disgrace to what the men and women of 9/11 sacrificed their lives for: YOU. Quit arguing about politics and maybe honour the people that experienced horrible deaths, and honour their families who suffered great tragedy. 

-Rez

EDIT: And for the record, we don't honour September 11th to bash America or get angry about the things that it's done wrong since 9/11/01: we honour it because we want to commemorate the men and women who died to a brutal and merciless act. It's not about religion or politics, it's about common decency for fallen heroes.

wait, how did the victims of a terrorist attack "sacrifice" their lives for us? no disrespect intended, honest question. I don't think it works that way. if we were talking about veterans that would make sense, but these people were murdered. they're victims, not martyrs.

as for your edit, aside from the one post that went on a tangent about America's past, all I'm seeing so far are people who are trying to commemorate the victims of 9/11, as you said - all of the victims. there are many more victims, direct and indirect, than just the ones who died in the buildings or planes. let's honor them too.

• Upvote 9

And what was positive about it? 9/11 didn't "unify" America in the slightest! It turned millions of American Muslims -- and everyone who looked like they could be Muslim, like my family -- into targets for next-door terrorism.

That statement does worse than ignore the fact that American men, women, and children are being brutalized for their faith. It pretends that it did not and could not have happened because "oh boy howdy weren't we all just one big american family now?"

Just because it sounds nice and gives you the warm fuzzies doesn't make it "positive."

Me and my family can be generalized as Muslim-look-a-likes and we were never treated as such. So please, stop with the lumping.

I thing the mods need to do their job before this esculates further tbh.

Edit: The first line of this post is inappropriate and disrespectful to DoktorFreizeit. Please don't do this again.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 4

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

One moment, we're all "remembering" and the next, we've completely derailed into this controversy.

Man, you guys are thirsty for debates.

I want nothing more than respectful comments. I try my best to avoid debate when necessary.

Everyone, let's take a deep breath. Whether you think this topic is necessary or not, I think we can all agree that we need to respect the people who died today. If you don't have anything respectful to say, just don't post.

• Upvote 1

There are certainly ways to remember the event without getting into political discussion, debate, or disrespect. I don't think this thread has shown that. Look - I understand that BZPower is a website based in the United States, and so it's difficult not to assume any charge behind this news story. But I assure you that the words on the screen are not meant to be blind, jingoistic, or otherwise exclusive.

In any case, I think this discussion has been in iffy territory for too long. Topic closed.

• Upvote 12

For the record, I lived within fifty miles of the World Trade Centers at the time of the attack. Many people I know were affected. The job I have now exists in part because of those attacks. It's something I think about and live with every day. So as one of the owners of the site, I am going to post about it as long as I feel it's necessary. That's my prerogative.

I'm not saying that the things done by the US government and whoever else since those events were right or justified or good. But the fact is that many people died that day, people who were innocent and didn't deserve to die. And they should be remembered, and on this little corner of the Internet, I want to make sure that happens.

• Upvote 12