Jay or Cole

Toa Jaton

I wasn't taking sides on the matter, but I dunno, I probably would have been happier with Jay and Nya. The spark from the first year turned into a nice fire, but Cole tossed himself in there while Zane tried not to melt.

Okay, that was awful. Anyway, yeah, Jay because his quirkiness works kinda well in a relationship.

mindeth the cobwebs

Jay. He got Nya first.

While I also agree that Jay and Nya have more chemistry, "he got her first" is frankly an appalling justification for two people to remain in a relationship, and one that reduces Nya's role to an object to be won. One of the things I did appreciate about the love triangle arc was that it gave Nya a great deal more agency—she was given the choice to reexamine her relationship with Jay and see whether her feelings for him were real, or if she had simply been reciprocating Jay's obvious feelings for her.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I vote.... for the destruction of guy guy girl love triangles in media. yuck. Xb

Or love triangles in general,  :notsure:

Well yes, that's basically it, i just specified because two guys fighting to "claim" a girl is basically the most common and/or disgusting one. :t

Too bad it a thing that really happens to real people with real; feelings that really get hurt. Love triangles exist in story telling because they were observed in real life. Story teller use then as a warning of what can happen if it ever happens to you. It's not something that you plan or that you can always see coming, you just have to know the dangers of it.

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.

Well yes, that's basically it, i just specified because two guys fighting to "claim" a girl is basically the most common and/or disgusting one. :t

Too bad it a thing that really happens to real people with real; feelings that really get hurt. Love triangles exist in story telling because they were observed in real life. Story teller use then as a warning of what can happen if it ever happens to you. It's not something that you plan or that you can always see coming, you just have to know the dangers of it.

nah, Love-Triangles are set up so they can cause drama by either having a girl forced to "choose" between two "attractive male suitors" or having two guys fight over the same girl whether she likes it or not.

it's almost like the people who come up with these favor useless and cliche drama over healthy polyamorous relationships, which are a thing tha does happen in real life, and solves basically all the problems these romantic polygons present! O:

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

nah, Love-Triangles are set up so they can cause drama by either having a girl forced to "choose" between two "attractive male suitors" or having two guys fight over the same girl whether she likes it or not.

it's almost like the people who come up with these favor useless and cliche drama over healthy polyamorous relationships, which are a thing tha does happen in real life, and solves basically all the problems these romantic polygons present! O:

Okay, but that's assuming that the involved parties are actually polyamorous, or that they could "force" themselves to be. I think you'd find that some people actually prefer a monogamous partnership, and while polyamory is a valid lifestyle choice that doesn't make it a one-size-fits-all solution to relationship drama.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Okay, but that's assuming that the involved parties are actually polyamorous, or that they could "force" themselves to be. I think you'd find that some people actually prefer a monogamous partnership, and while polyamory is a valid lifestyle choice that doesn't make it a one-size-fits-all solution to relationship drama.

Fair point, still, comparing how many poly-relationshpis there are in media to how many love-triangles/"fights", i think it's pretty clear which one we've been oversaturated to, and, like my main point was, is only ever included to add "romantic tension"

romantic tension, notably, being a thing nobody has ever asked for in an action-oriented story. ever.

• Upvote 1

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

romantic tension, notably, being a thing nobody has ever asked for in an action-oriented story. ever.

Ummm... that's certainly not true. Romantic tension in action stories performs a similar function to comic relief in stories that are dark and serious — it diversifies the storytelling so it's not mindlessly repetitive. It shows that there's more to the characters' lives than just action and, in some cases, helps motivate the characters by giving them something more specific and personal to fight for than just "the greater good".

Jay's relationship with Nya was already a part of the story well before the whole love triangle started. But as Lyi pointed out, the love triangle gave it more depth by for the first time giving Nya a reason to question the authenticity of her feelings for him. Which in turn gave her a more active role in her romantic life instead of her being just a passive, complacent recipient of Jay's affections. Some have called it silly that a machine made her question her feelings for Jay, but what's important isn't WHY she questioned those feelings, but rather that she had an opportunity to do so.

Personally, I have always been rooting for Jay to end up with Nya in the end, but I was also interested in seeing what it took to get there. The pettiness of Jay and Cole's feud, I think, showed that neither of them was ready at that time for a relationship. However, I feel that the episode "Versus" in which Jay and Cole's feud was resolved was an excellent episode that gave them both an opportunity to grow as characters.

I'm also very interested in this from Nya's perspective. Her response to Jay and Cole's feud, after it started to cause problems for her during the "Rebooted" arc, was to distance herself from it. Now that Cole is apparently done fighting with Jay over her affections, the question turns back to whether Nya really feels the same way for Jay as he feels for her. And this tweet from the brothers Hageman shows they're thinking about that in the upcoming season as well. Nya's a great character and she deserves agency in her own romantic life. I have high hopes that the show will deliver.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...